Discover the "Bodyguard" build

in Guardian

Posted by: Troma.3250

Troma.3250

Heya everyone

Just to introduce myself, before gw2 i always played healers, especially in another famous game. I was an arena player with cool experiences and memories. Then i have been leader for the WvW alliance of a big EU server, for release until end of league one.

I stopped for more than one year, and when i came back in 2015, i searched a way to build a guardian like i ever wanted: a sort of Paladin. A true protector with reliable heals and survival tools. I wanted to heal and help other people to stay alive.

When Arenanet made the last big patch live, with the changes in traits, i knew it was the moment to create this !

The synergy in the build is heavy, and everything is linked in order to make the most defensive guardian possible. Heals, tons of regen and aegis make your guardian a tanking and healing machine, an almost classic healer if you fill the downtimes with double energy sigil healing dodges and the heals of the mace hit (1) .

A simple aegis will: heal you for 1k5, trigger a 5k self heal if not on internal cd, trigger Communal Defenses on allies, trigger Invigorated Bulwark, trigger a 2 sec regen.

So here is the “Bodyguard” build:

http://intothemists.com/guides/6410-tromas_bodyguard_build

As you can see, the Defender rune works with Pure of heart, Communal Defenses, Retaliatory Subconscious, Valorous Defenses, and the most important, Protector’s Strike of the mace. Yes, the block of mace trigger Communal Defenses and others effects of the rune and traits !

The new version of Force of Will will scale with your nomad armor, and enhance the heal on allies for 20% ! Same for Invigorated Bulwark, that reduce your mace cd by 20% (so more 3 blocks, and heals) and your heal power.

it’s a guaranteed aegis on allies every 15 second, and no 5 people limit !

The build will also allows you to tank everything in 1v1 but terromancer (because of perma -33% heal and convert boons mainly) in what i call the solomode (shelter and regen food).

It will allows you to heal allies in roam, group or raids very high, with a strong sustain, and a 20k+ burst of heal possible. The key is to rotate between your dodges (2k+ healings), your merciful intervention (3k+), the shout (10k) and others heals tools. With healing power food and max stack, your empower can heal allies for 4k2 too !

Between your high value heals, the many many aegis, you can make survive:

1) yourself in solo
2) your group versus more people in roaming
3) your raid leader and group in a raid

You can also save people in the last second, with merciful intervention + the bump of shield on their body before the stomp. Never hesitate to spam 2 of mace, because of the multiples regens and healpower you have. You will be a nightmare for big dps classes too.

The main difference with others healers build, it that everything is perfectly linked, and that your survival is vastly improved. The more you stay alive, the more you heal hehe.

I did some short records, in order to show you the true might of the character. In this one, on a player “pick-up” i didn’t know (so no vocal, no group), you can see how is it possible to rotate between your heals and aegis to make your dear allies survive:

In this one, you can see the solomode of Bodyguard build (shelter + regen food so) to tank a thief easily:

I hope you enjoyed the build like i enjoyed making it ! Feel free to answer anything

co-founder of Grand Cross Alliance
General of Grand Cross Knights [GCK]
www.grandcross.fr/codex-gck

(edited by Troma.3250)

in Guardian

Posted by: Leap Of Faith.8263

Leap Of Faith.8263

Been using this build for some time now.
I reduces a lot of stress for my other 4 party members on surviving, they can focus more on dps and and I can take care of most utility.
It’s fun to play if you like healers in general.
I personally use full clerics. And in WvW I use nomads.
Plus I use sigil of renewal for heals on weapon swap.

People who say healing is useless is gw2, this is closest you can get and it works ( if you have someone to heal and take care of dps lol).

Delicious rice ball is a good cheap food alternative.

~My Love Sunshine, Guardian [Jade Quarry]

(edited by Leap Of Faith.8263)

in Guardian

Troma.3250

Yes, exactly Leap of Faith ! it’s cool you used it, yay

I made a “real” video this time, to show my fellow guardians the true power of the build.

I hope you will like it !

(edited by Troma.3250)

in Guardian

Posted by: Nemesis.6938

Nemesis.6938

it looks interesting – as im looking for a nice defensive build
im wondering whats more worth it – cleric or nomads in pve?
heard healing power scaling is bad…on the other hand do you need all the vitality with such high heals?

in Guardian

Troma.3250

Cleric for PvE yup ! more powerheal.

For WvW, yes i need the more vitality possible (the more i’m alive, the more i heal), and the build do not require power (it’s purely defensive, and working well thank’s to last big patch) and the most important:

Force of Will scale on your vitality. It’s 20% more heal on allies !

Even if healing power scaling is not so good, we can clearly see Arenanet are changing their mind with last changes and HoT; Check Invigorated Bulwark too to confirm.

Outgoing heals is a way to make healers working, without being too tanky by yourself. Clever move by Anet

in Guardian

Nemesis.6938

1) on pve cleric build maybe use pure of voice or writ of persistance instead of force of will? im more interested in pve and raiding tbh :-)
2) havfe you looked into giver’s?

in wvw im kinda more of the coward that shoots you in the back while youre not looking and then runs behind the big zergs back…but ill definatly look into nomads once i farm those stupid insignias

(edited by Nemesis.6938)

in Guardian

Troma.3250

1) nope ! if you use Pure of voice, you will loose x% of outgoing heal on others if you want to stay in this healer philosophy, you should keep it.

2) not at all my friend, what is this? maybe i don’t see the french name for it

Yes, nomad will be a lot better for WvW, for your personnal survival and for the new Force of will scaling

in Guardian

Nemesis.6938

but if u use cleric for pve u dont really have high vitality…is force of will really worth it then?

nevermind givers, i thought winter and i think there are only rings for it

in Guardian

Posted by: Leap Of Faith.8263

Leap Of Faith.8263

Yes with clerics you have low vitality. I was confused about it too for a long time. Between clerics/magi. But see
Magi/Cleric: healing power: priority

Cleric gives toughness and power: Toughness is good and little more power helps

Magi gives vitality and precision: vitality is good cuz there are lots of things like food and trait that convert vitality to healing power. But it’s not worth it. Why?

Cuz in that conversion you get about 110 heal power more or less. For that you will loose Power and toughness. And you get a pointless stat ‘precision’.
Cleric gives enough heals to put a big smile on your face and other.

Yes you will play at 13.5K hp or so. And you will get wrecked for 4-5 times at start, but when you get friendly with the build is when to use aegis and heals and dodge and regen, conditions and hp won’t matter, You team will stay at full hp 95% of the time because of you.

Also I read outgoing healing is directly scaled from healing power. Check healing power wiki page. I have no way to confirm it.

Don’t worry about conditions much. Except poison. You have so much constant heals that conditions won’t kill you. Unless someone decides to stand in lava or gets 15stacks of bleed.

~My Love Sunshine, Guardian [Jade Quarry]

in Guardian

Nemesis.6938

and u have a crazy amount of condition removels…especially if you take the shouts trait and potentially the healing-smite condition what im thinking about for the pve build…
im kinda looking for a healer or tank-healer build for raids… it might be not enough vitality to work as a tank and nomads might be better there…have to think about it

in Guardian

Troma.3250

Hmm i don’t PvE with the build, but even in cleric it’s still 13-14% more outgoing heal on allies you should really stick with Force of will.

Anyway,

I did a second video in WvW, and i listened the critics, and there is now:
- a 2v2
- a 3v3
- a 1v2, with a rescue in the last moment

and more happy ending, more teamfight, and even a short footage of this particular post-patch healing build in a raid. I hope you will like it !

Feel free to ask me anything.

in Guardian

Posted by: RaNoGa.6348

RaNoGa.6348

Nice to see something different from the usual medi burst build

Feel free to check out my Guardian play at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWc0xVUYkiWwuS8hRkBgMGQ