Do Guardians even like traps?

in Guardian

Posted by: Pregnantman.8259

Pregnantman.8259

A dead horse is beaten only so many times. With the last patch we saw the pinnacle of cyclejerk – complaints over complaints about traps, even though there wasn’t any change in their mechanics. What happened is that the changes in other parts of Guardian made the class more viable, and so the Guardian population bloomed. Yet nobody even complained about these obvious buffs. It was always traps. And those who complained were always in the lower tiers in PvP, as how “OP” traps were they couldn’t carry Guards in high level or tournaments. So traps were essentially (although I dont like to use this term but I simply dont know an alternative) noob-killers.

Traps held us back from other, meaningful buffs for a long time. Its a dumb skill type that require enemies to be dumb. I don’t know about you, but I don’t like them one bit – but also can’t afford to ignore them entirely due to their sheer power. If the next balance update toned them down or even nerfed it to spirit weapon tier, but buff our core utilities meaningfully (not just a cooldown change) I wouldn’t bat an eye.

What do you guys think?

in Guardian

Posted by: Evilek.5690

Evilek.5690

A dead horse is beaten only so many times. With the last patch we saw the pinnacle of cyclejerk – complaints over complaints about traps, even though there wasn’t any change in their mechanics. What happened is that the changes in other parts of Guardian made the class more viable, and so the Guardian population bloomed. Yet nobody even complained about these obvious buffs. It was always traps. And those who complained were always in the lower tiers in PvP, as how “OP” traps were they couldn’t carry Guards in high level or tournaments. So traps were essentially (although I dont like to use this term but I simply dont know an alternative) noob-killers.

Traps held us back from other, meaningful buffs for a long time. Its a dumb skill type that require enemies to be dumb. I don’t know about you, but I don’t like them one bit – but also can’t afford to ignore them entirely due to their sheer power. If the next balance update toned them down or even nerfed it to spirit weapon tier, but buff our core utilities meaningfully (not just a cooldown change) I wouldn’t bat an eye.

What do you guys think?

I use traps in PVE because only traps make DPS like utilite slot skills.
In PvP is really dumb go full traps because is really easy avoid all DMG and you are without defenses utility skills, only really bad players die on traps.
In Dia/Lege I rarelly see more then two guardians in game (0-1 in team) because there are better alternatives.

Evilek lvl 80 Charr Thief Why no ?
Fredy Brimstone lvl 80 Mighty Warrior
Oupí lvl 80 Immortal Guardian

in Guardian

Pregnantman.8259

I also begrudgingly use traps for dps, but I miss the good old days where our utilities were good supports. Nothing has changed and their support is still there, but trap dps is too good to pass. Other utilities should have similar opportunity cost – support if not damage.

in Guardian

Posted by: Evilek.5690

Evilek.5690

I also begrudgingly use traps for dps, but I miss the good old days where our utilities were good supports. Nothing has changed and their support is still there, but trap dps is too good to pass. Other utilities should have similar opportunity cost – support if not damage.

Every single time in this game Guardian use like support skill wall of reflection and maybe stability, thats all =) In WvW 95% Guardians use old shouts.

Evilek lvl 80 Charr Thief Why no ?
Fredy Brimstone lvl 80 Mighty Warrior
Oupí lvl 80 Immortal Guardian

in Guardian

Pregnantman.8259

I remember when Purging Flames was among the top cleanses, Hold the Line! was not seen as mediocre, how important and rewarding it was to use Retreat at right time. Those are what I am missing.

in Guardian

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

Traps are boring but usually the best we have. Sadly.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I dont like traps….

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Guardian

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Have to agree with the consensus here. Traps are boring and I wouldn’t mind having other competitive options.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

in Guardian

Pregnantman.8259

I am kind of hesitant on buffing spirit weapons haphazardly though. On one hand I would really like to use them more, on the other hand I don’t want them to be on necro minion level of strength. I really wish they functioned similar to conjures or mantras.

in Guardian

Aeolus.3615

I am kind of hesitant on buffing spirit weapons haphazardly though. On one hand I would really like to use them more, on the other hand I don’t want them to be on necro minion level of strength. I really wish they functioned similar to conjures or mantras.

The issue with SW is mostly the A.I, bow and shield migh share the same AI sript than hammer and sword for shure but since they dont atack, they will just get out of player side and run to the midle of a combat w/o doing nothign besides dying to the aoe spam (SW tend to run to the midle of aoe…..).
They arent responsive enaught, and die to easy, due game be aoe spam based even on 5 vs 5 they are unrealiable due the aoe+condis and cleaves being spammed.

Lots of skills in game dont work that greeat due game is designed to be super friendly to aoe classes, that something that wvw has sadly inherited from pve design.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

Like i mentioned in a different thread, i wouldn’t mind traps getting nerfed to satisfy the unwashed masses, but unfortunately traps aren’t the only things they are complaining about. Lots of little harpies want our blocks and symbols nerfed too.

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I’m not a fan of traps but recognize how powerful stacking different sources of damage is for PVE. Actually, for me, my hangup with traps is just a conceptual one. If they weren’t traps and were wells or auras, it would be less an issue. Silly but true.

Funny that traps are the complaint, yet meditations were JUST as buffed indirectly as traps were by the changes. I guess noobs don’t like dying THAT easily.

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

Traps are pretty boring to me, although DH as a whole is pretty boring to me minus the longbow to some extent.

in Guardian

Posted by: Phosphoros.8062

Phosphoros.8062

Traps have 2 major balance issues in my opinion.

First: they are too strong in spvp because it revolves around points, having such a strong area controll is really too much, expecially if your enemy is melee and you are ranged.

Second: they do both CC and DMG. ToF is a cripple aoe + damage, DM + Hunter’s Mark means you can’t get out of the kitten the Guardian is throwing at you and PoB shredds everything. Not only that, but every trap basically has daze because “piercing light” is mandatory.

In the end, they are too strong, and leave the guardian almost no choice on what utility use…

in Guardian

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

Wow… I thought I was the only one who wasn’t a fan of the traps…

in Guardian

Pregnantman.8259

Traps are just limiting in design. They don’t help allies like almost all of our utilities do, they cover a small area, they require enemies’ input to be effective. Essentially, I see them as symbols on steroids that don’t even help allies as much.

in Guardian

Aeolus.3615

i would prefer something arround this type of skills to fit with bow

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ward_spell

in Guardian

Pregnantman.8259

My ideal dragonhunter would have mantras, after all we supposedly increased our resolve to bring justice to dragons. As our virtues became physical wit our increased resolve, so did our meditations? I dont know

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

I like traps, and how each are designed. I also like how DH traps compare to Ranger and Thief (Power, Condi, Control respectively). I never thought the boons were necessary, but at this point it doesn’t matter. I also like the Monster Hunter inspiration that was used for DH as a whole.

Fishsticks

in Guardian

Posted by: Pyriel.4370

Pyriel.4370

Guard since pre-launch. Hate traps but have to use them to stay viable in raids, dungeons and PvP to some extend. Ex-bunker guard here where shouts were able to sustain indefinately with enough skill. Traps feel too forced like we HAVE to play DH. Should have gone for channeled shouts ala Paragon from GW1 but maybe next time.

in Guardian

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

I main Guardian since open beta and I say DHs has to be restricted to only one per team. Period. SPvP revolves around holding little points. Which gets impossible when you are pitted against a team of 4 guardians who spam traps on those points and decimate you with a flurry of arrows on distance.

in Guardian

Aeolus.3615

I main Guardian since open beta and I say DHs has to be restricted to only one per team. Period. SPvP revolves around holding little points. Which gets impossible when you are pitted against a team of 4 guardians who spam traps on those points and decimate you with a flurry of arrows on distance.

We just need all removed stats back even if they are strong in some classes, that is what game is about anyway….

in Guardian

Pregnantman.8259

What I find mechanically flawed about traps is they are activated even if you dodge through them. Sure you avoid initial damage and daze, but the effect still goes off. A good dodge should be rewarded, especially considering the fact that cast time for traps are fast (everything is fast, but thats another topic). While Necro marks are like traps where they activate when someone dodges through them, their on activation effect is instant and is effectively neutered by the dodge. Traps should just remain unactivated unless they can score their initial hit to someone, so that if someone wants to skip through traps he can dodge/block/invul through, but trap remains there so that a single dodge doesnt just destroy the whole skill.

Moreover, after a person successfully goes through a trap without activating it, that trap should be visible to the individual. You might say that after that person sees indications that he blocked/evaded its obvious he went through a trap, but in team fights it wouldn’t be so. Goal is to keep DH on his wits to place his traps in a way they are not revealed easily, so instead of mindless point spamming there can be other strategies involved. Hell, it could be made that skills that Reveal foes in an area reveal traps for all to see as well. After adding these counterplays, the traps then can have a supportive aspect to them as well – so that it is the enemies’ best interest to avoid them. For example, ToF ring may grant a boon to allies that cross it, or Dragon’s Maw could buff allies as long as they stay inside the small ring. Lots of possibilities.

My second issue with traps is that they allow you to chain the same trap a second time because they stay in their unactivated mode for too long. One way to change it is shortening the duration of the laid traps to match their cooldowns, and although it would still be possible to spam the same trap it would have a lesser window. Another way could be to keep the traps’ long duration and their invasive mechanic, but not allowing their cooldown to recharge while they lay unactivated. Then, it could be made that the DH picks up the trap if he wishes for a benefit (like Engineer turrets) or he manually activates the trap by pressing the button again.

(edited by Pregnantman.8259)

in Guardian

Posted by: Aylpse.6280

Aylpse.6280

No, if I want traps I’ll play my Condi Ranger, and after the update to Traps. I dont want to play them at all.

When I feel Guardian I feel like you know.. guarding stuff. Or playing a magic swordsman. Guardian in the closest thing to a DnD Cleric so seeing them pick up a longbow and traps is very confusing. I just want to hit peop- er, smite injustice! And protect my allies, but its seems the next xpack will make every class Ranger.

I am ready for Ranger wars 2.

Taking the higher moral ground since 1993.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lalainnia.3598

Lalainnia.3598

I personally enjoy traps the only trap I truly find overboard atm is test of faith. Specifically the entering and leaving damage when crossing it’s rings which isn’t that hard to actually force excluding ppl simply not paying attention and walking in and out of it. Between f1 pull shield 4# and either heavy light/longbow or hammer banish you can force a person in and out at least 2 times or more I believe all this on top of the other sources of damage and cc from those various moves it can become pretty outright ugly

Another srs issue I guess that someone already mentioned is that you can placea trap wait for the cd to come off and have one immeditatly ready to go which gives guardians easily the best on point pressure between offense and defensive since most trait traps to daze.

in Guardian

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Oh yeah, every ranked game i play in, guards just cry their eyes out as they drop traps on point….

(edited by ZeftheWicked.3076)

in Guardian

Pregnantman.8259

Oh yeah, every ranked game i play in, guards just cry their eyes out as they drop traps on point….

I am not saying traps are epitome of skillful play and balance. On the contrary, they are effective enough to limit other choices. Therefore using traps have nothing to do with liking them, you use them because they are effective. I, for one, dont want to get flamed by others for skills I don’t like but still have to use.