Does Longbow need an update/buff?

in Guardian

Posted by: cletiscake.9173

cletiscake.9173

I think it does, at least for PvE. I’ve been playing with Scepter/x, and Scepter is just way more useful. It synergizes extremely well with Symbolic Avenger and Writ of Persistence, so you basically have a permanent symbol pumping stacks of Might and increasing your damage by a nice chunk at all times. Granted the enemy needs to be within the symbol, but that’s usually not too big of a deal.

Not only that, but your offhand offers more utility + shorter CD’s when compared to Longbow #4 and #5.

Are there any situations in PvE that Longbow performs better than Scepter/x in terms of damage or utility?

I would personally change Longbow #2 to cast while moving, and reduce the cooldown on Longbow #4 and #5. That would make it on par with Scepter/x IMO.

(edited by cletiscake.9173)

in Guardian

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Hell yeah it does. #2 needs to be un-nerfed. In PvE, LB should be the choice for ranged burst & scepter for sustained dps + symbol support… #2 should be castable while moving.

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in Guardian

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

In PvE lb is a joke atm so I guess? Honestly I’m not a fan of the weapon at all. The slow aa combined with being rooted half the time make it an incredibly boring weapon imo. I like it in pvp tho, landing lb#3 consistently at least adds a small margin of skillful play to an otherwise brainless espec. Tbh I’d be happy already if true shot didn’t root you. Wouldn’t do anything for pve viability but it’d at least make it a more enjoyable weapon to use.

in Guardian

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

The only real point to ever use LB is to trait for the knockback, and even then only if you need double knockback because shield does it just as well (pretty much kitty kat golems at the top of uncategorized). Scepter is just a better weapon since you can combine it with any of the three offhands while putting out better sustained damage than LB. The one thing LB has is higher burst, but lets to honest, what doesn’t die to a good procession of blades? If it’s not dead by the end of PoB then the scepter sustained damage will have you farther along than the LB damage.

This isn’t to say that LB has a bad set of skills, more saying that what it has isn’t worth the loss of damage.

in Guardian

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

I’m just fine with being rooted for LB2, but when I see a 6k on a warrior that hits me back for twice as much, unchanneled, I cri and curse the McLain :’(

(edited by LetoII.3782)

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

I’m just fine with being rooted for LB2, but when I see a 6k on a warrior that hits me back for twice as much, unchanneled, I cri and curse the McLain :’(

6k hahaha gunflame does 9k xD
I don’t even use LB cause so many projectile reflections.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kerivek.5740

Kerivek.5740

I would love to see some longbow love. Currently I use LB/GS in my PvE open world build just because I find scepter to be pretty bland and I really don’t need a full DPS build in open world. Also I dislike the fact that scepter is pretty much a melee weapon if you want to get the most out of it. I think it would be awesome if Longbow was made a legitimate contender for a ranged DPS spec.

in Guardian

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

I would love to see some longbow love. Currently I use LB/GS in my PvE open world build just because I find scepter to be pretty bland and I really don’t need a full DPS build in open world. Also I dislike the fact that scepter is pretty much a melee weapon if you want to get the most out of it. I think it would be awesome if Longbow was made a legitimate contender for a ranged DPS spec.

Just trait-wise I already think that’s almost impossible tbh considering scepter has such a low cd symbol vs the long cd symbol on lb.

in Guardian

Kerivek.5740

Yeah I understand that as things are now it doesn’t stand much of a chance. I would like to see changes that allow more DPS specs to exist though.

in Guardian

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

6k hahaha gunflame does 9k xD
I don’t even use LB cause so many projectile reflections.

Yeah its not like guardian has its own class stuff like warrior right?

You compare a 4sec cooldown weapon utility to a complete class mechanic skill.

its basically the same if i say this:
gunflame does 9k dmg but guardian does 6k dmg + unblockable pull + leap and heal + 4sec block.

in Guardian

Ragnarox.9601

gunflame does 9k dmg but guardian does 6k dmg + unblockable pull + leap and heal + 4sec block.

Ok warrior has 1.5k/sec regen, 2x no dmg traited, 9k axe f1, 9k GS f1, block on shield, 25% passive movement trait, 5sec swap on weapons, full bers gear with 250% crit dmg, 18k base HP + shall I continue?

in Guardian

Kerivek.5740

And they can perform a dashing headbutt bro.

in Guardian

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

Ok warrior has 1.5k/sec regen, 2x no dmg traited, 9k axe f1, 9k GS f1, block on shield, 25% passive movement trait, 5sec swap on weapons, full bers gear with 250% crit dmg, 18k base HP + shall I continue?

It’s so true, when you look at what the warrior has compared to the hoops Guardian has to jump through to survive, it is pretty funny.

in Guardian

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

Well, Guardians aren’t supposed to be great at ranged, so…maybe not? When Longbow was first released, I understood LB Guardians to be playing the game on “easy mode”.

My major gripe with the elite specs is they introduce a whole lot of things and synergize with NOTHING. If you liked any aspect of your previous build – congrats! – there’s nothing in the elite tree for you. They should have done a better job integrating traits from other trees into supporting the new shineys from the elite tree.

in Guardian

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

My major gripe with the elite specs is they introduce a whole lot of things and synergize with NOTHING. If you liked any aspect of your previous build – congrats! – there’s nothing in the elite tree for you. They should have done a better job integrating traits from other trees into supporting the new shineys from the elite tree.

Agreed.
Most patches since launch haven’t made sense for a paladin/cleric.
But a large group of people on this class forum DID demand a DPS option with ranged weapons.. So now we have meditrapper, a metaphorical shrug in class design.

in Guardian

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

It’s so true, when you look at what the warrior has compared to the hoops Guardian has to jump through to survive, it is pretty funny.

well it’s a good thing guard is much easier to play.

==

on the topic at hand, in regard to pvp & to a lesser extent wvw, no longbow doesn’t need buffs. it’s got good damage (auto is much better than warrior rifle etc) & utility. if any buff were to be given, reducing cast times for 2 & 5 would be the way to go.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in Guardian

cletiscake.9173

Well, Guardians aren’t supposed to be great at ranged, so…maybe not? When Longbow was first released, I understood LB Guardians to be playing the game on “easy mode”.

Yeah I 100% agree with this. There’s nothing in the Elite tree that makes it worth using LB except the one knockback ability. And Scepter gets a CC without having to trait for it.

It’s kind of odd that the Elite Weapon is nowhere near as useful to Guardian as its non-elite counterpart. This is why they should remove Elite Weapons from Elite Specs. If a weapon is added to a class, it should be incorporated into the core class, not the Elite Spec. Because now our Elite Weapon has no synergy with core Guardian, and on top of having no synergy, it does less damage and provides less utility.

in Guardian

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Watching warriors and guardians argue over who is tankier is like watching two rich people argue over who has the more expensive Lamborghini collection.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in Guardian

Posted by: Ezrael.6859

Ezrael.6859

Yes, absolutely.

Or Revenant Hammer needs the kind of nerfs True Shot received

This is against 2500 armour.
Even with full Berserker and Bloodlust stacks DH Longbow cannot put out 5-6k auto attacks and 10k True Shots on cloth, never mind plate! like these can…

Hammer Bolt also hits 5 targets, as opposed to Puncture Shot’s 2 under special circumstances…

Attachments:

(edited by Ezrael.6859)

in Guardian

Ragnarox.9601

Yes, absolutely.

Or Revenant Hammer needs the kind of nerfs True Shot received

This is against 2500 armour.
Even with full Berserker and Bloodlust stacks DH Longbow cannot put out 5-6k auto attacks and 10k True Shots on cloth, never mind plate! like these can…

Hammer Bolt also hits 5 targets, as opposed to Puncture Shot’s 2 under special circumstances…

Dont forget CoR has 2 sec cd

in Guardian

Posted by: tongpo.3184

tongpo.3184

Thats a balance issue. If they made all the elite specs work with other trees, then the synergy could become so strong that the only viable spec is to have elite spec always activated. So then other builds become obsolete or niche. And I get that there is always a meta spec in every game, but you don’t necessarily always want the elite spec to be the meta build because for the new players that are coming up won’t have access it the entire tree right away. Meaning, they will need to grind to 80, then grind out the elite tree before they can enjoy looking into gearing up for higher end content.

Elite spec should really just be another option for a class to play, not the only option. And if you make them too synergistic, it becomes the only option for which the only option would be to nerf. For which, both those scenarios are bad for the game.

in Guardian

cletiscake.9173

Thats a balance issue. If they made all the elite specs work with other trees, then the synergy could become so strong that the only viable spec is to have elite spec always activated. So then other builds become obsolete or niche. And I get that there is always a meta spec in every game, but you don’t necessarily always want the elite spec to be the meta build because for the new players that are coming up won’t have access it the entire tree right away. Meaning, they will need to grind to 80, then grind out the elite tree before they can enjoy looking into gearing up for higher end content.

Elite spec should really just be another option for a class to play, not the only option. And if you make them too synergistic, it becomes the only option for which the only option would be to nerf. For which, both those scenarios are bad for the game.

Yes and no. The trees we have now are balanced against one another, even with all the synergies that currently exist. There’s no reason why a new tree couldn’t be made to have more synergy with existing builds and still be balanced.

The important thing is the fact that elite specs introduce a new weapon as well as a new trait tree. I think that’s what makes it harder to balance. If the devs focused on making the elite spec separately from the new weapons, I think it would be better for balance overall. New weapons should be baked into the core class, with existing synergies in mind. Then the elite spec can be free to enhance or introduce a conpletely new playstyle without having to worry about weapon balance + spec balance. All it has to worry about is spec balance.