Dragon Hunter Build Discussion

in Guardian

Posted by: Quozex.9430

Quozex.9430

Hello moderately unhappy guardian forums! I’ve decided to make a post dedicated to builds people have created so we can discuss build crafting for our favorite elite spec the “Dragon Hunter.” /sass

I tried medi/DH in PvP (specifically) and saw good success with it. I ran:

*Valor*—2,3,2
*Virtues*—2,2,3
*DH*—1,2,2
Longbow(energy,hobling) Sword/Focus(energy,intelligence) Marauders(Hoelbrack)
Utilities: JI, CoP, and Test of Faith (shelter, renewed focus)

I played roughly 50 matches between Friday and the time I posted this. For the most part the build offers similar sustain to the traditional Medi guards.

I sacrificed smite condition to take Test of Faith as it offers an excellent amount of dmg and soft cc while being on a manageable cool-down.

The new virtues are amazing. It took me most of the games to get used to using them PREEMPTIVELY, but when timed right you can easily out position opponents or dodge a nasty burst. I found that Wings of Resolve were best used in situations when I just wanted to get somewhere quickly and i needed a little heal, anytime I tried using WoR as an o-kitten skill I ended up getting caught mid air and died (as a side note are WoR supposed to be effected by cripple and chill as I was only going about 1/3 of the distance).

In terms of the new longbow I think it is fantastic. Your autos do good damage, #2 can deal massive crits when timed with cripple traits, #3 while hard to land can also deal significant damage when blocking projectiles (I hit up to 5k at one time), #4 is alright I still feel like it still travels too slow and #5 is very niche and almost un-used in PvP unless you’re being ignored and can land on in a team fight.

The style in which I played this build was a melee ranged skirmisher. I found using Test of Faith off point in prep for approaching enemies and the saving it for when Heavy Light comes off cd. It’s easy enough to land a well timed knock back even though I wish we had more control of when you can knock back someone as it is still unreliable unless you’re counting down the icd.

Once Heavy Light was on icd I found longbow to be useless in melee combat unless you wanted to burn WoR early to jump to the other side of Test of Faith to put that obstacle back in your opponents path making it harder for them to get to you.

I took focus over shield simply for #4 as it can give decent regen and gives you access to a second blind as well as traiting for Focus Mastery in heavy melee teams. I seriously considered using shield over focus for synergy with dulled sense, but in the end I found piercing light most useful for the daze and landing a knock back while in your trap. Also Might of the Protector for focus #5.

The build is still lacking in the fact that traps offer nothing else but more dmg and your losing a lot of your dmg from not taking GS and losing the zeal line. I didn’t attempt to play without Virtues as I feel it is absolutely necessary in every guardian build. WoR is awesome for moving around and the cd is acceptable.

All in all I found the DH to be a lot of fun to play even if you’re taking a serious hit in dmg from META Medi.

Also as note this could also easily countered with time. This is the last of 3 betas of all lasted about 3 days. Dragon Hunters do not have specific counter builds in place and the meta doesn’t support many of the Elite Specs. So many players didn’t know how to deal with it yet.

in Guardian

Posted by: Bezagron.7352

Bezagron.7352

I have been testing this Melee DH Bladed Trapper – Sw/Sh & GSw build.

Overall I’ve found trigger traps alot more easy them most players make out. Sw#2 & GSw#3 basically provide a gap closer plus a blind almost guaranteeing trap placement beneath there feet & triggering of the trap. One of my surprises has been the sustain from purification’s healing mostly using this close & placement method.

Another aspect I’ve been enjoying is the control over the battlefield turning environments to mine fields for foes that they need to pay attention to or be punished. I’ve also found the new daze on trap interrupts players combat pace providing you time to analysis & respond.

Greatsword syncs very well with trap gameplay with GSw#5 providing the ability to pull foes into your traps. Sword & Greatsword provide gap closers with blinds which is so important reactive trap placement within combat. Sh#5 provides that little projectile protection while at range helping greatly with kiting.

Runes of Lyssa helps provide that much needed condition protection that’s so missing from trap builds. Sigils of energy provide higher upkeep of dodges & sigils of hydromancy provide that little extra movement control helping keep foes longer inside your traps.

This build provides the benefits of pre-combat trap placement as well as reactive trap placement while in the thick of it. It’s biggest weakness to date have been stun lock builds were getting stun locked at the start of the rotation is basically death & burn guards were it’s next to impossible to avoid a 6-7 instant burn application & respond before the first damaging tick. The high instant burn application really is almost gamebreaking for low health pools professions & builds.

in Guardian

Posted by: GSiege.3076

GSiege.3076

I’ve been playing this to a lot of success:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAT8dn0ABVdiFdCOCBkdilAiSe7D/z3KAu2EIbBfwIE-TpBFABxs/g4lBa4gAQwDAYhjAAAXAAA

Take Zealot’s Aggression in the DH master slot
Radiance has been nice for turning VoJ into a 1200 range unblockable 3s immob, great for catching people about to run away from a fight.
Holy kitten this is a build with traps and signets what are you doing. Traps really aren’t as bad as people want them to be, they can do stupid damage when you get good at placement timing. I chose the signets because I knew I wanted more condi clear, stunbreak, and survivability (since it doesn’t have shelter and RF) and Radiance has Perfect Inscriptions to go with the toolbar signets and the one coming from traits.

Like mentioned in the post above, I’m finding Lyssa Runes to be fantastic for on-demand condi removal. It plays good at mid range and you can dive in with the sword blink to beat people up and drop traps on top of them. With the signets up and Hunter’s Fortification active, I’m finding myself with a ton of survivability when played correctly with the traps, focus #5, Wings of Resolve, cripple, and projectile destruction.

All Stars:
Dragon’s Maw does a ton of damage and holds people down
Test of Faith does tons of damage to people walking in and out
Sword #2 for blinking in a dropping traps
Focus #5 for blocks and condi removal
VoJ for long range immob and finishing runners with burn and longbow harass
WoR for the leap and condi clear, it also provides toonnnsss of healing
SoC for the cone of blocks, actually helps a ton with stomping
Longbow #2 while awkward with the root does 4k’s with crits (80%~) crit chance with Marauder ammy and fury from radiance
Longbow #5 on top of team fights is insane
Everything about Signet of Judgement plus more light aura

p.s. it’s fun to lay down random piles of traps and watch people almost get 1 shotted

(edited by GSiege.3076)

in Guardian

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

(edited by Dirame.8521)