DragonHunter Or Revenant

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: Andy.8543

Andy.8543

Hey guys

I’m trying to choose a heavy armour class to main, and this is my first character for GW2, i’ve dabbled yesterday, but todays the day i want to main a character.

i asked in the general section and Guardians are said to be boring, would you guys agree and say revenenant is a more fun playstyle?

Thanks

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Revenant is like guardian, but slightly better at everything and have more engaging mechanics.

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Play them both. I do think Rev is more riveting, but a Guardian is useful in almost every aspect of the game.

Can’t go wrong with either.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

Revenant/Herald faces severe handicaps in tems of access to balance, breakstuns and conditions cleansing. You can trait them to overcome that weakness and still feel that are a lot more rigid and erratic that guardins ain that front.

Aside from that, Revs/Heralds are as fine as Guardians/DH if not better in terms of fun, and they are clearly better in access to mobility.

Is a hard question to answer as now, due balance changes are still on the table for both classes.

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: phor.7952

phor.7952

ADVICE:
Making a decision and sticking with it based on what other people tell you about a class is a bad way to decide. You need to play them yourself to find out which mechanics/weapons/skills you enjoy.

But that doesn’t mean you have to level both of them to 80.

Just make one of each and run through the starting instance real quick (takes about 10 minutes).
Once you’re in the world, click the PVP icon at the top to port to the sPVP staging area.
While in staging, all your traits and skills will be unlocked and you can use any gear you want for free.

Test out each of the weapon sets for each class on some of the training dummies and then attack a few of the training NPC’s that will attack you back and see what feels good to you.

We don’t know enough about raids yet to know if one of these two classes is going to be clearly superior to the other in a party comp. They’re both great in dungeons/fractals groups, and who knows what balance changes are in the cards for the next few months.

As Dresden said, I think it’s hard to go wrong with either class right now. So you should choose the one that fits your play-style better.

(edited by phor.7952)

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Gaurdian was my original 80 and I found it boring forever. I love Rev, but playing Dragon Hunter, I think DH is the overall best spec right now

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Revenant is like guardian, but slightly better at everything and have more engaging mechanics.

This in allot of respects

The only thing a guardian does better is

1: AEGIS application
2: Stability for groups.
3: Retaliation for groups

Everything else is done better by the rev

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: Heimdallr.7021

Heimdallr.7021

I have both to 80 and i’m completing the map with rev right now.
I am undecided as well but rev feels more ‘fun’ to play with his mechanics but the profession has some flows right now IMHO:

• some legends are lackluster, i’m locking at you mallyx
  • you are almost forced to spec into herald to be really competitive
  • underwater combat is incompleted at best
  • almost no access to stability
  • conditions destroy you

I will play rev for a while because it’s the new and shiny thing, i will decide after the next balance patch what to main

norn warrior

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: tico.9814

tico.9814

Depends you can’t go wrong with either one. I’m enjoying guardian in PvP at the moment, guardian has a lot of PvP builds that are actually good and strong, is one of the reasons why I’m enjoying it at the moment, builds that are actually good for example you can play as base medi guardian GS with sword/focus or hammer which was one of the ex meta builds in the past, you can go as burn guardian which still is going strong in PvP, or as Dragon hunter who are very strong at the moment, you can even play as bunker guardian. Guardians in general are in a bright moment which is why I’m trying to enjoy it as much as I can. The problem with revenant is how you’re forced to go into herald for pvp, it seems like there isn’t much variety hopefully anet will buff the other stances, even for pve it seems like herald is just too good to let go.

(edited by tico.9814)

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: albotelho.2931

albotelho.2931

Play both for a while and then decide for yourself… My main is Guardian and although I have played all other classes I always come back for it and any new stuff I get with him first, DH is quite fun to play.

I have started to play the Revenant this week and I like it, specially staff skills I find it pretty fun.

In resume… GW2 is pretty easy to level and get gear even if you dont have much time to play, make both and have fun.

Turig Wolfsbane Norn Guardian
Rangrorn Charr Necromancer
Ultimate Legion [UL]

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

As others noted Rev is fun but DH/Guardian is a fundamental class that has no real equal in terms of its usefulness. The only thing that sucks about the class is that it doesn’t have any good movement abilities. If you can live without those or don’t mind using rune slots to overcome that issue, DH/Guardian is worth the time invested.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: Garimeth.8725

Garimeth.8725

I honestly play both DH and Rev. I find core guard to be not so fun though – always eflt the lack of a ranged weapon i liked (never much cared for scepter).

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: Doug Whisper.2465

Doug Whisper.2465

Why not try them yourself? Leveling in GW2 is not a daunting task, although getting elite spec is a different story. Even each class play differently in different roles in game modes. I have Rev and Guardian characters, both have strength and weakness.

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: Jasper.9341

Jasper.9341

From a WvW point of view, both are strong. The rev is more fun for me(maybe because it is still new), however lately I have been feeling the guardian more. All of Revs blocks and evades(excluding staff 5) lock me in place whereas guardian can move while blocking. Also the rev has serious trouble with condition cleansing unless you build for it, but then you have to sacrifice something you won’t want to give up.

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

but half finished.

annoying bugs, legends dont work underwater, meaning you have ot manually swap. Sword 3 causes you to clip into the map (like mes blink on release!), the glint facet bug still occurs in the old maps, and you get a kittening ugly disco light under you all the time which is really annoying….

I like revs, but its not a polished experience yet!

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

DH brings stuff that original guardian dont have, fun+survivability+dmg. Core guardian was borring, dps medi (underwhelming) and tank guard(now dead).

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: Kratox.9150

Kratox.9150

I’ve played guardian only for 3 years as War just bores me out, now new fun heavy profession arrived and i’m enjoying them both. I’d still suggest to go with guardian, just for DH that you’ll get at lvl 80.

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: Tarkan.5609

Tarkan.5609

I have both to 80 and i’m completing the map with rev right now.
I am undecided as well but rev feels more ‘fun’ to play with his mechanics but the profession has some flows right now IMHO:

• some legends are lackluster, i’m locking at you mallyx
  • you are almost forced to spec into herald to be really competitive
  • underwater combat is incompleted at best
  • almost no access to stability
  • conditions destroy you

I will play rev for a while because it’s the new and shiny thing, i will decide after the next balance patch what to main

if you really want stability: retribution + herald = 2stacks of stabi on dodge

PvP, Teef & Engi

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: Hermos.2389

Hermos.2389

DH brings stuff that original guardian dont have, fun+survivability+dmg. Core guardian was borring, dps medi (underwhelming) and tank guard(now dead).

Agreed. I’m really enjoying the range on DH right now; the Hammer on Revenant is kinda fun, but yeah, you’re kinda forced into playing herald for PvP.

If a decent Mallyx condi spec showed up, I’d give that a go. For now, gotta love the DH.

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

don’t get to attached to DH right now. The pvp folks are all crying like babies about it, which will means the devs will tweak it with its usual anet-style sledgehammer, turning it into a low tier pvp class and completely obliterating it in PvE.

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: albotelho.2931

albotelho.2931

I really hope DH will not be nerfed beacuse of sPvP, I do understand some of the crying because when it comes to defend a point trappers are pretty strong and DH trapps hit hard depending on the build, trapper Rangers were already strong but as they depend more on condition the impact is not so “fast”.

You have to adapt to fight trappers defending points, there are several ways to do that, it is harder than other classes, but not so OP as people claiming. The main issue is that people wants to jump in the point and hit like crazies with no consequences, people do not want to think just to hit 2 like a boss.

Turig Wolfsbane Norn Guardian
Rangrorn Charr Necromancer
Ultimate Legion [UL]

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: Heimdallr.7021

Heimdallr.7021

I expect some heavy nerf before pvp league starts

norn warrior

DragonHunter Or Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

i have both and guard was my first level 80 toon. I gotta say DH is sooooo much fun. Rev takes some getting used to and I’m slowly getting there. Its really powerful. Im sitting on 3000+ power, 75+% crit chance 200% crit damage while also having 20k+ hp and ***3000+*** armor in battle.

Whats not to like about rev?

Having said that i try to play DH as much as i can before the inevitable nerf hammer hits.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "