Dragonhunter - Whether you like it or not...

in Guardian

Posted by: Mondo.5029

Mondo.5029

How will the profession name make sense after all the dragons are dead?
Honest question – want to see how this gap can be rationalized ‘cause I can’t.

Was this considered? Are the only big baddies we ever face going to be dragons or dragon themed or will we ever graduate to more interesting villains like Abaddon or Dhuum in GW1?

Just for the record. I don’t like the name.
I feel the name is uninspired, unoriginal, redundant and absurdly cheesy. Not really any reason to elaborate as it’s all been said repeatedly and more eloquently than I could by others already.
I would, however, feel better if I could deal with this one little nagging detail. Don’t know why but it’s bugging the hell out of me.

Yes I get the rational and I’ve seen the explanations. It’s still just not a good name. Anything can be justified with a little effort and the name Dragonhunter is no exception. It’s just not a good name.

A more generic name would be more appropriate like Inquisitor, Justicar etc yadda yadda.

We all know Arena.net doesn’t make changes based on negative player feedback so…
¯\(?)

Guess we have to live with it.

(edited by Mondo.5029)

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Maybe not all the dragons die? They got eggs, they make new ones.

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I’m pretty sure they will always be in the game in some fashion. Like how there’s Daedra in every Morrowind game. The antagonists in this game will be no different. Considering GW2’s logo is a Dragon itself, this threat isn’t going to succumb any time soon.

I’m sure there will be other anomalies but the Dragon threat will always be there.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Many professions in the real world were obsoleted by changing times, I don’t see why it’d be different here.

If somehow we defeated all the dragons and their minions (that continue to exist even when the dragon is dead) before 2025 (3 years and 1 dragon down so far) maybe Dragonhunters will get the title “The Retired”

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Guardian

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

Silly question in my opinion it’s kind of obvious. We will have the next specizalation dragondefeater.

in Guardian

Posted by: Arrk.4102

Arrk.4102

Many professions in the real world were obsoleted by changing times, I don’t see why it’d be different here.

If somehow we defeated all the dragons and their minions (that continue to exist even when the dragon is dead) before 2025 (3 years and 1 dragon down so far) maybe Dragonhunters will get the title “The Retired”

Because it’s a game where that kind of thing could be easily prevented.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

GW1 lasted for 7 years before GW2 became the next big thing. Were currently approaching 3 years with just one dragon dead. At that rate, we could expect to be finished in 15 years.

Fishsticks

in Guardian

Posted by: Feral.3609

Feral.3609

I don’t like it personally. I’ve become a bit more accepting now of the idea and not as hostile as I was when the announcement of a long ranged guardian came out. Mainly because of some of the changes they are considering making to guardian (namely our elite skills offering more build diversity) and the fact that you don’t need to equip a stupid longbow and be a back line fighter. (You’ll be able to run melee sets on both swaps and not have to use traps which is how I intend on exploring this specialization).

We need more front liners in combat it’s a shame as it is with the buffs to ranger that 70% of the composition of pug zergs on my server are mass rangers. I want to be in my enemies face and in the thick of battle fighting not pewpewing with the kittens.

in Guardian

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Guardian was the only class with no long range option so it makes sense to fill this niche.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Guardian

Posted by: Arrk.4102

Arrk.4102

I’m thinking the OP has the problem with the hunter of dragons theme not the longbow.

in Guardian

Posted by: Mondo.5029

Mondo.5029

I’m thinking the OP has the problem with the hunter of dragons theme not the longbow.

This. Neither the longbow or traps bother me. I will almost surely be playing this specialization as a melee fighter anyways.

The theme itself irks me something fierce.