Dragonhunter and Spirit Weapons

in Guardian

Posted by: Iozeph.5617

Iozeph.5617

Don’t know if this has been posted before- but as the title mentions- Is there any chance for Dragon hunters to get a permanent spirit weapon of their choice with an option for the current traits associated with spirit weapons to make them heartier/more survivable rather than adding to duration?

I was sort of puzzled that they allowed for longbows and traps but didn’t do anything to address the pet side of hunters when they merged kits to make Dragonhunters.

But whatever. Just throwing that out there.

in Guardian

Posted by: Nero.8047

Nero.8047

What justifies the Dragonhunter Elite Specialization is the following:

1. The Guardian lacked reliable ranged damage. (Scepter having been the most reliable and good luck using the scepter in pvp for example.)
  2. The Guardian lacked a pure offensive option altogether.
  3. The Guardian lacked decent burst. (GS being one of the sole options.)

What the Elite Specializations are intending to do is fill roles which the core-profession does not fully cater to.

In an offensive-themed Elite Specizialization such as the Dragonhunter it does not thematically fit to make it even more tanky/survivable by means of buffing Spirit Weapons.

1. Guardian + Ranger ? Dragonhunter

• Although we may see similarities with the Ranger, there aren’t any solid connections between the two professions especially in lore (or what little we know of it.)

2. Pets have no intended place within the Dragonhunter. They were never meant to be beastmasters. (or in this situation Spirit Weaponsmiths) Pets do not thematically fit within the offensive role of the Dragonhunter.

3. Spirit Weapons are broken AI-pets which aren’t focussed on one aspect (such as survivability) in the first place. A sword for offense, a hammer for CC, a bow for support and a shield for defense. a Spirit-Weapons related trait should firstmost come from the core-Guardian and if not from an Elite Specialization focussing on materializing the Guardian’s magic into physical objects.

3.5. Materializing the Guardian’s magic into physical objects is what ties most closely to what the Dragonhunter is since its virtues are Physical manifestations of Virtues which used to be mere magical effects. You could argue that Spirit Weapons would relate to the Dragonhunter from this perspective but it would still not fit within what the Dragonhunter was intended to be, an offensive burst-DPS’er.

conclusion:

I could argue to side with you and I could argue against you. I personally think however that Spirit Weapons have little relation to the Dragonhunter Elite Specialization and would prefer to have Spirit Weapons buffed on their own, related to the core-profession or to a new Elite Specialization.

Paragon of the Seraphim Order [Ankh]
a small, casual Guild with a play as you want style.

in Guardian

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

I think Spirit Weapons need a buff on their own. No need to tie the buff to DH. So I feel same way as Nero.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I would not mind to use SoA as this XD XD

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.