Dragonhunter is a great idea. Why complain?

in Guardian

Posted by: Darkness.9732

Darkness.9732

I don’ t understand why you guys don’ t like the dragonhunter.

For me it has a nice design and it can be very strong both in pvp and wvw with his extra mobility.

Moreover MANY of you have always wrote that ranger is strong and without problems or limits.
Now dragonhunter reminds a ranger in its mechanics…..SOOO Why do you complain then ?

in Guardian

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Moreover MANY of you have always wrote that ranger is strong and without problems or limits.
Now dragonhunter reminds a ranger in its mechanics…..SOOO Why do you complain then ?

You in the correct forum? Rangers are like the easiest to kill with Guardian, including the trapper rangers and Pewpewrangers are one of the classes you can staff spam to death

9 Guardians later…

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

You in the correct forum? Rangers are like the easiest to kill with Guardian, including the trapper rangers and Pewpewrangers are one of the classes you can staff spam to death

Rangers (next to mesmers) dominate the 1v1 PvP arenas, just not tpvp. So when a guardian complain about rangers, it’s probably in that aspect. There are certain 1v1 ranger builds that are darn near impossible to beat.

b.o.t: Yes DH is awesome. Hater’s gonna hate.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I don’t hate Dragonhunter, but i’m disappointed after the chronomancer.

The chronomancer is awesome because everything work togheter. It’s a master of time, the name evoke a master of time, the new profession mechanic is about time, wells are powerful skill right now and the new ones are also about time, just like the new weapon. There is a clear theme throughout every aspect of the new specialization.

The guardian specialization on the other hand, no so much. It’s a dragonhunter with a longbow, traps and physical attack from virtue. All those thing alone will probably be fine in the game. They will be nice, probably powerful and useful in some game mode. But they don’t feel as they work all together. They feel like a bunch of unrelated stuff bunch together. And a bow + trap combo is something we already have in the game, and it’s decend to bad. So of course it doesn’t get everybody excited.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Guardian

Posted by: Red Jay.2516

Red Jay.2516

Because this forum is full of manchildren that jump to conclusions without knowing the whole picture and throw tantrums about spec’s name that no one will care about 10 minutes into Expansion.

in Guardian

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

Honestly if it were named differently, we’d have a completely different reaction on the forums right now.

People want cool catchy names like Death Knight, Paladin – the quintessential name of a warrior but we are given the name of Dragonhunter.

A names means nothing. It’s what you do that makes the name.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in Guardian

Darkness.9732

I don’ t get why people complain about the name too…I mean it’ s just a name…what’ s the matter?^ XD

in Guardian

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

I think the answer to “why complain?” is that some people think that mostly baseless and entirely subjective criticism somehow makes them cool or smart.

in Guardian

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I think the issue is largely one of presentation. Or at least, the presentation was poorly executed. For example, some issues include:

1) Uninspired name (presentation)
2) Nothing new here. It’s basically a blend of a ranger and a guardian. Previous reveals of the revenant and the chronomancer both included cool new mechanics. (Content)
3) The choice of a norn in the video was poor. Norns make everything look smaller, so a 900 ranger leap looks like a turkey hop. (BogOtter, that was brilliant!) (presentation)
4) There wasn’t even a kill in the video, therefore, it’s impossible to judge damage. With the chronomancer you could see the wells pulsed three times before it killed the bug. So you can say, ok, several small damaging pulses with a big killer at the end. (presentation)
5) Relatively uninformative blog post which caused people to assume (myself included) that there is nothing to say. (presentation)

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

in Guardian

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

As I play open world pve this class looks terrible for that. I think there damage out put is going to be pathetic. Traps no matter what kind are useless in boss fights. I really hope the video today will make the class look better then the description.

Mainly I think pve players are upset as we would really just get weaker it appears. We’ll find out today though. Keeping my fingers crossed

in Guardian

Posted by: Ithamir.5928

Ithamir.5928

4) There wasn’t even a kill in the video, therefore, it’s impossible to judge damage. With the chronomancer you could see the wells pulsed three times before it killed the bug. So you can say, ok, several small damaging pulses with a big killer at the end. (presentation)

That probably means nothing. Before GW2 was launced, we got the same type of videos for the core professions. They openly said then, that it doesn’t represent the actual damage done in game. I have no reason to believe, considering the similarities in the representations, that it has changed now.

Praise be to Balthazar, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Because if I wanted to play a ranger, I’d play my ranger.

I was looking for something NEW with the elite spec. Not something that is already available in the game currently without having to shell out a single dime for the expansion.

in Guardian

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I just don’t like the name because it’s corny, like being named XxLegolasxX. Gives me the unimaginative cringe. (so does warrior but at least that’s a standard and basic name. This just seems forced on top of cliche)

Beyond that, though, I think it’s great. Guardians needed range, LB makes the most sense, and even the new virtues could prove beneficial for melee guardians with the added mobility, and the team support blocks are top notch too.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Guardian

TooBz.3065

That probably means nothing. Before GW2 was launced, we got the same type of videos for the core professions. They openly said then, that it doesn’t represent the actual damage done in game. I have no reason to believe, considering the similarities in the representations, that it has changed now.

Probably not, but it is poor presentation (which was the point). It makes me feel like that arrows aren’t doing anything.

in Guardian

Posted by: Vornollo.5182

Vornollo.5182

The fact that it’s called Dragonhunter makes me consider to roll a Guardian, it’s that ‘Gothic 2’ (well, the entire series rather!) nostalgia kicking in!
I loved those kitten Dragon Hunters there

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

in Guardian

Darkness.9732

I like so much the concept of the Dragonhunter. I love that guardian gets traps. For me They are ultra cool and seeing some of the ranger mechanics in it… CAN’ T WAIT TO PLAY IT

Keep the good job ANET !!

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Probably not, but it is poor presentation (which was the point). It makes me feel like that arrows aren’t doing anything.

I can agree with this. I’m fine with the name, the aesthetics, the mechanics, and all that, but I don’t think the video didn’t really do the best job at imparting the right kind of feeling you should get from the spec.

Fishsticks

in Guardian

Posted by: Geneaux.9547

Geneaux.9547

3) The choice of a norn in the video was poor. Norns make everything look smaller, so a 900 ranger leap looks like a turkey hop. (BogOtter, that was brilliant!) (presentation)

That was a human.

“Man this jungle in the expansion better look so good it gives me flashbacks to Nam.”
Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Knights of Ares [ARES]

in Guardian

TooBz.3065

That was a human.

Oh… Well the little hop did not look impressive, either way. I was hoping it was a Norn.

in Guardian

Posted by: Dream In A Dream.7213

Dream In A Dream.7213

Because its a ranger spec for a guard. I can just play a ranger if I want to play a ranger. There is nothing new or interesting in this spec, nothing unique like in the chronomancer spec. Plus the name and the whole big game hunting story makes no sense on a guard.

in Guardian

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Because its a ranger spec for a guard. I can just play a ranger if I want to play a ranger.

Now you can play an Archer with Runes of the Trapper without a &$(&@ing mutt chewing up a huge percentage of your expected damage.

And you don’t have to wear a trenchcoat.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Guardian

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

It’s a terrible, generic name for what it does.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

in Guardian

Posted by: Canidae Canis.2861

Canidae Canis.2861

I’m with the OP. This spec looks pretty powerful and is going to fix a lot of the mobility/control issues that guardians lacked. Plus, viable condi builds? It’s pretty much everything we’ve been asking for. Good work Anet

in Guardian

Posted by: Ojyh.9842

Ojyh.9842

The name is terrible.

Also the theme around it makes no sense. Even more after seeing the Ready Up gameplay and mechanics presentation.
The spec looks good, but they need to change its name and its dragon-hunting theme that has no sense.

in Guardian

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

that little 600 range hop gives us ~50% of a sword/greatsword warrior distance making capability on a longer cooldown (hope they reduce the cd when its a leap to ~30 secs since 60 is too long) anyways it will make a huge difference when trying to escape combined with leap of faith as long as the person chasing us is not a warrior/thief or we have one of those nifty traps loaded up to leave them in the dust.

in Guardian

Posted by: Mik.3401

Mik.3401

I like the idea of Dragonhunter. Most people need to stop being so negative and dramatic. Guardian is a class which already had alot – perfect melee weapons, decent spellcasting weapons, nice choice between healer-like tank and mindless zerker.
What else you wanted if not good long distance direct damage? So what if trap+bow combo already exist in ranger, specialization is about adapting to rules which could not be filled by particular class before.
Necro is confirmed to get GS, and ele probable to get sword, does that make them wannabe warriors/mesmers? No

in Guardian

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

Lel with this new spec guardians will be able to toast people more with immo and blinds so why complain?

in Guardian

Posted by: Achrisos.1360

Achrisos.1360

I think the issue is largely one of presentation. Or at least, the presentation was poorly executed. For example, some issues include:

1) Uninspired name (presentation)
2) Nothing new here. It’s basically a blend of a ranger and a guardian. Previous reveals of the revenant and the chronomancer both included cool new mechanics. (Content)
5) Relatively uninformative blog post which caused people to assume (myself included) that there is nothing to say. (presentation)

Did u see the end of the video? The build he ran and speed of which he KILLED Svanir was impressive…

in Guardian

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

For me it has a nice design and it can be very strong both in pvp and wvw with his extra mobility.

1. I think that the mobility in Dragonhunter is VERY weak, due doesn’t have any permanent access to a 25% increased pace (aside from using traveler runes, which are terribad for pure combat purposes) and the jumps has cooldowns which makes them useless against things like Warrior’s sword #2 (8 seconds cooldown).
  1. I think pure condition Dragonhunters won’t be viable, due the class lacks a SINGLE weapon which inflicts conditions with auto attacks. Longbow is mainly a power weapon, which absolutely lacks in terms of condition potetial.
  1. The cripples and other soft cc in Dragonhunters seems to lack any PRESSURE: every cripple is attached to skills with a 45-60 second cooldown, which means thet will lack any potential to retain the pressure over your foe.
  1. The Dragonhunter seems to be a very STATIC class; traps are like a nerfed versions of wells, with much higher cooldowns. Take this in consideration: typical traps from Ranger had cooldowns from 15 to 30 seconds, and despite that they are barely used. You truly think that builds based on traps with 45-60 cooldowns will work? You remember when Glacial Heart cooldown was like 45 seconds? Was useless.

Overall, Dragonhunters seems to be a weirdo: lacks the sustain expected from a Guardian, is as weak as ever was in terms of mobility and condition pressure, and their utilities are abysmal compared against what shouts and meditations brings to the table in any aspect of the game.

Overall, I’m happy with Dragonhunters, because I was expecting nothing and nothing is what we get. At least I will not be forced to spent time in PvE to unlock crap skills with no use, so I will can focus the efforts in other characters with more viable or interesting specializations.

in Guardian

Posted by: MelGT.8326

MelGT.8326

Many people aren’t complaining about the mechanics of the Guardian’s elite specialization, just the way they’re trying to sell it as a deep and hard to grasp concept that’s called Dragonhunter.

The whole spec feels a little more cut and paste than the Chonomancer, it really is just a longbow ranger with traps where:

• The Dragonhunter’s Barrage doesn’t cripple it has an immobilize instead. The cripple has been moved to the auto-attack, but has a strange caveat of only if there is an enemy standing behind too.
  • The Dragonhunter’s Rapid Fire is just one big number instead of 10 smaller ones, with the short duration, high stacking vulnerability moved to a trap.
  • The Dragonhunter’s Point Blank Shot has become a grandmaster trait with half the cooldown (seven seconds (at the moment) compared to the ranger’s baseline 15).

As far as I’m aware Hunter’s Shot for stealth hasn’t been copied over. They even helpfully kept all the skills in the same place as the Ranger’s longbow skills so it’s the same key to press for the same thing.

The only thing Chronomancer took from Necromancer was the idea that Wells are something that goes on the ground and does stuff. There are some new ideas in here with some of the traps becoming like Wards from GW1, and the new Virtues look interesting, but it’s not really revolutionary. Nonetheless it still gives a ranged option to the Guardian, something that the scepter didn’t really offer other than as something to sometimes hit enemies when your Greatsword/Hammer skills were recharging.

(edited by MelGT.8326)

in Guardian

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

Rangers (next to mesmers) dominate the 1v1 PvP arenas, just not tpvp. So when a guardian complain about rangers, it’s probably in that aspect. There are certain 1v1 ranger builds that are darn near impossible to beat.

b.o.t: Yes DH is awesome. Hater’s gonna hate.

how do mesmers dominate when they get killed by ranger, guardian and literally any thief?

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

in Guardian

Posted by: Exxcalibur.6203

Exxcalibur.6203

Longbow is disappointing. rifle would’ve been more interesting

Oh, yay, another longbow class… yawnfully generic.

“Skritt, I’m hit!"

in Guardian

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Big game hunter completely does not fit the paladin archetype that guardian belongs to. Traps are an especially poor ability to base the ELITE spec on and the traits are underwhelming. In short, whats to like? Well maybe some of the longbow skills but thats it.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro