Dual wield 1h swords

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Daijujikurou.6735

Daijujikurou.6735

This has been bottering me for quite a while.

If you take a look at the other professions every class can dual wield a weapon, why the guardian can’t.
It has the torch yes but it does not feel quite right, so far as i can tell the guardian lacks a little on the DPS department, “i have been playing guardian since the beta”.

And even if the guardian turns to be an odd and pleasuring mutation of monk and paragon.

I think the guardian needs some love
please fellow guardians heed my words.

If you consider that guardian is worthy of wielding two 1h swords raise your hand, stand with honor and courage, and pray to the gods of tyria.

That ANET listen to the plea and consider this.

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Tyrburn.1970

Tyrburn.1970

I’ve got the feeling we’ll see more weapon combos become available in the future, perhaps with expansions. Every class needs to feel unique, so I feel like adding sword/sword would take away from the individuality of some other classes.

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Tristam Green.9178

Tristam Green.9178

We’re not entirely meant to be a DPS, though. We can’t be a jack of all trades, after all.

Treant Reznor (GRD) | Phizixx (ELE) | Peter J Quill (THF) | Ninnymonger (ENG) | Carduus Nox (NEC)

[CERN] When Zergs Collide – Tarnished Coast born n’ bred

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: adagiophoto.4512

adagiophoto.4512

I think if they did add offhand sword it would end up not being a DPS weapon anyway. Personally, I feel like the guardian has a good variety of weapon options and playstyles.

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Ikavan.2876

Ikavan.2876

We’re not entirely meant to be a DPS, though. We can’t be a jack of all trades, after all.

I think that is just our problem. We are a jack of all trades and we don’t really get to focus on any one thing to be great at (accept maybe taking more hits than some of the other guys).

Main: Ikavan (Human Theif)
Server: Ehmry Bay
Guild: Raiders of the Four Lakes [ROFL]

(edited by Ikavan.2876)

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Aven.7295

Aven.7295

Sword/sword isnt really in the guardian’s style, Generaly dual weilding weapons are akin to fury and savagery and the guardian feels like they are the most level headed class in the game. (Dw is also for nimble classes which we are not.) Septer actualy puts out a lot of dps if you set your build up for it, but i can see why you wouldnt. (I hate the style.) I think it would be funny to see Dual Shield weilding (since their set up actualy makes it completely possible to impliment down the road) but even that is pushing it a bit.

Aven Scorchfield, lvl 80 Guardian
Server: Maguma
Guild: Judgement [Eye]

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Daijujikurou.6735

I think that is just our problem. We are a jack of all trades and we don’t really get to focus on any one thing to be great at (accept maybe taking more hits than some of the other guys).

Indeed if feels somewhat like on GW1 the multi purpouse assassins, that makes playing guardian nice cuz you can play many styles with a single class

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Daijujikurou.6735

Sword/sword isnt really in the guardian’s style, Generaly dual weilding weapons are akin to fury and savagery and the guardian feels like they are the most level headed class in the game. (Dw is also for nimble classes which we are not.) Septer actualy puts out a lot of dps if you set your build up for it, but i can see why you wouldnt. (I hate the style.) I think it would be funny to see Dual Shield weilding (since their set up actualy makes it completely possible to impliment down the road) but even that is pushing it a bit.

Yes please it could be wacky to see dual shield or dual septer ^^

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Atlas.4509

Atlas.4509

I agree with Aven, DW just doesn’t fit the “theme” of a guardian imo.

I feel that the guardian can personify 3 different “roles”:

1) the defender – 1 h weapon and shield (or something defensive)

2) the zealot – big 2 h weapon like the great sword and hammer

3) battlemage/combat medic – supported with staff and scepter

This is just my personal take on how weapons fit the guardians “personality”

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Nasty.3698

Nasty.3698

I don’t understand this stance at all. Guardians are inherently one of the best support classes and their name even suggests it – why roll a class that isn’t meant to have the most damage and then complain that it doesn’t?

Clowe | Revelations

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Tristam Green.9178

Tristam Green.9178

I don’t understand this stance at all. Guardians are inherently one of the best support classes and their name even suggests it – why roll a class that isn’t meant to have the most damage and then complain that it doesn’t?

Who knows. If anything, the only curiosity I have is why on earth can’t Rangers use rifles?

Treant Reznor (GRD) | Phizixx (ELE) | Peter J Quill (THF) | Ninnymonger (ENG) | Carduus Nox (NEC)

[CERN] When Zergs Collide – Tarnished Coast born n’ bred

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

I for one am fine being a jack of all trades given this game was designed for it. If you min/max you get destroyed in the more difficult content or you have a ton of people pulling you threw content.

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

SiNoS.2147

Who knows. If anything, the only curiosity I have is why on earth can’t Rangers use rifles?

And thiefs longbows!

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

Lol dual shielder!

nah Guardians don’t need to and shouldn’t dual wield if every one (or every profession/class) did it it would be boring and even more over rated well that’s just my opinion.

In addtion to the GW classes I feel that Guardians are based on on the D&D equivalent of Clerics but they are cool because they don’t actually follow a deity they just go out and heal their buddies and face punch what ever tries to hurt the softer magically delicious professions because that’s the nice thing to do when you have healing powers instead of trying to convert people or what ever. I think if they dual wielded it would break the aesthetic of the class that makes them defenders (one who guards, Guardians!!)

There’s plenty of ways to put the hurt on with Guardians for starters use Zeal to up your power. My favorite and general purpose set up for a guardian is to use a two handed sword or hammer if you really want to maim something and a mace and shield for when things get ugly and you need to ball up in defense mode.

I like the one handed sword but I’m having trouble settling on my offhand companion.

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

SiNoS.2147

Zealot is where i personally think dual swords would fit. When i think of a zealous avenger i think of a being eather with dual weapons or a single big weapon. I’ve also see cases of the defender using two weapons to block and parry which in this game parry would be very on par with everything. Your not strong enough to block that giant but i can change the direction of that weapon which i think would be cool. Now i will admit the 2nd of those two would be closer to a blade dancer type. But still would fit.

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

MastaNeenja.1537

Rangers can’t use rifles because its unnatural technology and therefor it is the devil!

however they can craft them go figure.

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Avelict.6253

Avelict.6253

Lack of DPS whut?

Precision building with a Greatsword? The first 4 skills of a Greatsword Guardian are completely DPS oriented with 2 AoEs, and a gap closer, plus if you build your utilities around consecrations, you are a force to be reckoned with, add to that if you gem your gear appropriately with Emeralds, you get your power/precision with a little toughness thrown in. Or better yet, Rubies for the extra crit dmg.

I don’t mean to sound like a jerk or anything, but please be sure to exhaust all options before complaining about your class, it will only make you seem like you can’t think for yourself.

~Avelict, Level 80 Charr Guardian
Guardian of EPIC, Sanctum of Rall

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Ikavan.2876

Ikavan.2876

I see the lack of duel wield options at the moment an option for expansion. Room for them to add weapon types or move weapons between hands. Another option that could be added is customizing the weapon skills. The game as is, is amazing, but I am just throwing out ideas that could further expand the game in the future.

Main: Ikavan (Human Theif)
Server: Ehmry Bay
Guild: Raiders of the Four Lakes [ROFL]

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Atlas.4509

Zealot is where i personally think dual swords would fit. When i think of a zealous avenger i think of a being eather with dual weapons or a single big weapon. I’ve also see cases of the defender using two weapons to block and parry which in this game parry would be very on par with everything. Your not strong enough to block that giant but i can change the direction of that weapon which i think would be cool. Now i will admit the 2nd of those two would be closer to a blade dancer type. But still would fit.

Parry would be a very cool mechanic to add, I agree, though I still think it would fit better with warriors and thieves. The guardian supplements his/her weapon skills with magic ie: blinds, fire, bubbles. Parrying and DW require more dexterity to accomplish. That’s the way I see it anyway

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Atlas.4509

Lol dual shielder!

nah Guardians don’t need to and shouldn’t dual wield if every one (or every profession/class) did it it would be boring and even more over rated well that’s just my opinion.

In addtion to the GW classes I feel that Guardians are based on on the D&D equivalent of Clerics but they are cool because they don’t actually follow a deity they just go out and heal their buddies and face punch what ever tries to hurt the softer magically delicious professions because that’s the nice thing to do when you have healing powers instead of trying to convert people or what ever. I think if they dual wielded it would break the aesthetic of the class that makes them defenders (one who guards, Guardians!!)

There’s plenty of ways to put the hurt on with Guardians for starters use Zeal to up your power. My favorite and general purpose set up for a guardian is to use a two handed sword or hammer if you really want to maim something and a mace and shield for when things get ugly and you need to ball up in defense mode.

I like the one handed sword but I’m having trouble settling on my offhand companion.

I love the synergy between 1h sword and focus: the double blind you get is great for survivability not even counting the 3 blocks you get as well.

I have also really started enjoying the torch for the extra dps, its nice to clear out a bunch of trash mobs and just looks awesome

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Rukyius.2756

Rukyius.2756

well we need something given tanking is kinda out of the picture

If you go into battle wanting to live you will surely die.
If you go into battle expecting to die you may live.
[img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-gw2/c602c9ff0410cbcd.png[/img]

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

MastaNeenja.1537

I love the synergy between 1h sword and focus: the double blind you get is great for survivability not even counting the 3 blocks you get as well.

I have also really started enjoying the torch for the extra dps, its nice to clear out a bunch of trash mobs and just looks awesome

Fire fire! heh heh heh

yeah sword and torch is great that is more of what I am leaning for, man I do love focus skill 5

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Draeka.5941

Draeka.5941

well we need something given tanking is kinda out of the picture

“Tanking,” in the traditional sense, aye…but I’m having a lot of fun cycling through my protection symbols, mass boons, blinds, CC’d to prevent it from even dealing damage. I’d rather “tank” by preventing damage instead of simply standing still and hoping my damage mitigation is high enough, and my healers are good enough. Makes things more skill-based and interesting, imho.

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

SiNoS.2147

Parry would be a very cool mechanic to add, I agree, though I still think it would fit better with warriors and thieves. The guardian supplements his/her weapon skills with magic ie: blinds, fire, bubbles. Parrying and DW require more dexterity to accomplish. That’s the way I see it anyway

Eh ya hince why i said more of a blade dancer role. Unless your just slapping the weapons to the side with brute force. But as for a dps take on the dual swords take the power your putting into enchanting that massive greatsword half it then put it into the swords. Plus i really really really want to wield dual dragonfire swords on my guard!

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Nasty.3698

Nasty.3698

I’m with you on this one. I don’t play a Ranger but that particular question has always puzzled me…

Clowe | Revelations

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Riviin.4923

Riviin.4923

I’m just gonna put this out there because i can’t find this word anywhere in relation to us Guardians…

Axe??

I’d love to be able to use an Axe or even a GreatAxe, Duel Wield Axes? maybe…
I’m happy with how we are now tbh but yeah… thoughts

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

i too feel dw isn’t the dept for Guardians. however, it would be an interesting aspect. i would love to see a greataxe as well! or i’ve seen this in other threads before.. a ball and chain!! how fun would that be.DD

i’m quite happy with the way the Guardian is set up too now but who knows what future expansions , etc will bring.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

First of all, if you’re having trouble putting out damage with a Guardian, the problem is likely on your end, not on the profession’s.
That being said, dual wield doesn’t fit with the Guardian’s image of a defensive fighter. Dual wiled in games generally shows all out offense, neglecting defense (which is differently from real-life two weapon fighting). Guardians are perfectly willing to beat face, but they don’t give up their defense.

“Come on, hit me!”

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Dolothane.4306

Dolothane.4306

The reason our damage is so low is because our defense is really high, and we are very supportive. If you want to dual wield then this class isn’t for you anyway, you should probably play a Warrior if you want something like that. Guardians can’t dual wield for the same reason Paladins can’t in WoW. They try to be more defensive and supportive of others, and someone who dual wields would be very offensive and intimidating. A Guardian is more calm and honorable in battle, and dual wielding is a bit relentless and just clumsy.

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Kita.7819

Kita.7819

Guardians already have a ton of weapon combination options, I believe second to warrior.

Kita – Guardian
Server: Darkhaven. The Besthaven.

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

The reason our damage is so low is because our defense is really high, and we are very supportive. If you want to dual wield then this class isn’t for you anyway, you should probably play a Warrior if you want something like that. Guardians can’t dual wield for the same reason Paladins can’t in WoW. They try to be more defensive and supportive of others, and someone who dual wields would be very offensive and intimidating. A Guardian is more calm and honorable in battle, and dual wielding is a bit relentless and just clumsy.

High defense how? We have no skills that let us become invulnerable in combat aside from renewed focus. Shield of wrath gets burned down too quickly, the only viable option is shield of absorption which is negated with stability. Blind doesn’t count since it can easily be ruined by any attack.

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: khargor.2651

khargor.2651

I thing dual wield for Guardian is a good idea. With dmg or just support, Guardian is a fighter who use “Meditation” and “Concentration”. When Warrior use dual wield, it is looking like some kind abuse of rage . When a Guardian could use dual wield, maybe it would looking like some one who is going inside oneself, to use both Weapons in perfection.

“The reason our damage is so low is because our defense is really high, and we are very supportive. If you want to dual wield then this class isn’t for you anyway, you should probably play a Warrior if you want something like that. Guardians can’t dual wield for the same reason Paladins can’t in WoW. They try to be more defensive and supportive of others, and someone who dual wields would be very offensive and intimidating. A Guardian is more calm and honorable in battle, and dual wielding is a bit relentless and just clumsy.”

Guardian is not a Paladin, even if it looks like. But when we are talking about similar to
a Paladin, dont forget that there is a Darksider. The Death Knights mostly are former Paladins and they can use dual wield. U can play a Guardian and can play him as one who is not a good one :O .

So now, i play guardian too. It is my Main charcter, lvl 80, with twilight garden armor.
I like to play him and dont wanna get destroy it, but i thing dual wielding would give the class a good reputation.

and sorry for bad english and grammar, but i thing u can read this :P

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

I’m just gonna put this out there because i can’t find this word anywhere in relation to us Guardians…

Axe??

If Anet ever releases greataxes in this game, I’d be 150% all over that lol!

Since we’re throwing ideas out there, how about a 1h spear that can used on land? Hell, I’ll take a 2h spear if I can use it on land!

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: Ekemeister.8905

Ekemeister.8905

Axe??

If Anet ever releases greataxes in this game, I’d be 150% all over that lol!

Since we’re throwing ideas out there, how about a 1h spear that can used on land? Hell, I’ll take a 2h spear if I can use it on land!

I hereby second this motion!
If greataxes are released, I will bring Mordekaiser to GW2.

All in all though, I think guardian should be a warrior/priest hybrid. So the weapons should be kept from being too carnal (dual 1h axe >_>). Flails might be an exception to this if whips become a general weapon class (seen in Twilight Arbor and Citadel of Flame enemy mechanics).
Though if Fist weapons are released (as seen in Molten Facility enemy mechanics), guardians should definitely be allowed to use cestus and knuckles but not claws. Cestus plus shield might allow for Cap’n America references though, which would be potentially awkward.

Lol dual shielder!

Don’t underestimate the power of a shield. Practitioner hitting a crash test dummy with a spartan shield replica: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRZ22UCnMNk

(edited by Ekemeister.8905)

Dual wield 1h swords

in Guardian

Posted by: AgentChaos.4932

AgentChaos.4932

I would live dual sword. It would fit my armour do my , please anet makes it happen!!

Roleplayer.