Firebrand - Group barrier?

in Guardian

Posted by: Selendile.9106

Selendile.9106

Quick idea to help Firebrand in a support setting:

New Grandmaster MajorTrait, or maybe even a minor trait:

“Activating a tome grants barrier and stability to all allies within 600 yard radius”.

The mentality is FB healing won’t be competitive against druids, it seems. So, perhaps adding in more group damage mitigation would compensate this.

Thoughts?

EDIT: can also wrap up another idea with this. Can make burn damage scale with healing power rather than condi damage. This way support guards will have passable burn damage and barriers (which scale with healing power already). This idea is “meh”, but I think the barrier idea is pretty good.

- Sele

(edited by Selendile.9106)

in Guardian

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

“Activating a tome grants barrier and stability to all allies within 600 yard radius”.

Man I was so close to getting behind this idea until I saw the range. I can only stand by you if it was a 300 cone! No cone, no deal. /s

Though in actuality it wouldn’t be too bad, but it would just be a bandaid and be masking the true problem with tomes, their cooldowns, mantras, and everything being clunky. Anet needs to remove the clunkyness, then balance the abilities. If Anet decided to make pages into initiative, then you could use resolve more often to heal (as long as the tome’s healing got fixed as well). Though this has been said multiple times throughout the forums. Barrier would make more sense on the staff auto since it has gutted range.

in Guardian

Selendile.9106

Agreed, actually. Just trying to come up with solutions that don’t involve tots revamps, ya know?

I think FB Should be capable of generating barriers. It makes up for the sub-par healing. Damage mitigation.

in Guardian

Posted by: skeeman.3140

skeeman.3140

I found it odd that guardian/firebrand didn’t end up with any barrier period. I kind of think barrier would be a good fit with Azure Sun (Resolve 3), the one that applies regeneration. It would be like a buffer to help allies end up with a net gain of health during combat without resorting to a longer regeneration or adding a direct heal element to it.

(edited by skeeman.3140)

in Guardian

Selendile.9106

It seems like a mechanic that would be utilized by guardians, since barriers…….ya know……..guard. Lol

in Guardian

Posted by: Zairik.2867

Zairik.2867

That sounds amazing I was really hoping Guardian or Firebrand would have barrier output so it was sad to see none. I think this could really help with the non instant support pulling out a tome requires and would love to see more barrier for Guardian/Firebrand. +1

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

It seems like a mechanic that would be utilized by guardians, since barriers…….ya know……..guard. Lol

Doesn’t look that ANet logic follows that path….. ya know …… ANet happens.
And dev’s only use their guardians to show their weapon and armor skins nothing more.

>:]

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Guardian

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Pretty sure group barriers are Scourge’s thing.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in Guardian

Selendile.9106

And weaver. Why not guard?

in Guardian

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

There’s a holosmith trait that grants barrier as well.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Cause guardian is in a good spot, firebrand is in there too.

in Guardian

Posted by: momophily.3814

momophily.3814

Cause guardian is in a good spot, firebrand is in there too.

Stop posting this meme, unless you let us know its sarcasm. Those who don’t firmly under stand guardians strength and limitations, won’t know it and will take you serious….

And I completely agree that Guard should have Barrier if FB was actualy ment to be a support spce. After having sat and tested it at length. I’m pretty sure FB was mislabled by the devs. It should have been pitched and labled as a DPS spec, because thats where the potemtial lies. The suppoort is to unfocused to be effective, unless you consider quickness. And quickness is to hard to acheive on guard when its side-by-side with other support classes. And its healing output is terriable.

I’ll say it again here. No focus on specific support boons or healing leads to them all being watered down and a jack-of-all-support, master of none. Adding one skill or trait that has barrier without a focus on it, would only lead to other options being weakened. We need to loose the random bull kitten boons and give only a few meaningfull ones. Then i would love for barrier to ne one, or hell lets get more protection, or do sufficient healing. But we can’t do all 3 with meaning

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

momophily.3814, its still a good meme… the issue might not be the players but the developers thinking he is being serious…

I would not mind to loose alot of boons and get better effect and mechanics for the boons that matter to guardian…. and its support, whatever its called support in this game….
But this is one BIG problem with ANet classes andtraits development, they overstack bons on top of boons w/o actually change what classes do with them.
its a spam brainlessgame after all….they will jsut keep adding more and more….

Wonder how many boons the next spec after FB… will have…

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in Guardian

Selendile.9106

So the solution is to revamp the support aspect of FB to focus more on damage mitigation through barriers and protection. There is plenty of synergy there, too. You can have a trait like “When a barrier you apply breaks, the player gains protection” or kitten like that. Wording is obviously bad, but you get the point. If our healing won’t be made more competitive, and remain locked behind long cast times/cooldowns, we need to be able to compensate through damage mitigation. That’s the way to provide focus to our support capabilities.

in Guardian

Crinn.7864

Because the entire point of Scourge as a support (which according to devs it’s supposed to be) is to give group barriers.

Holosmith and Weaver’s barriers are personal barriers not group barriers.

Giving Firebrand group barriers would make scourge completely pointless as a support.

YouTube

in Guardian

Selendile.9106

Because the entire point of Scourge as a support (which according to devs it’s supposed to be) is to give group barriers.

Holosmith and Weaver’s barriers are personal barriers not group barriers.

Giving Firebrand group barriers would make scourge completely pointless as a support.

Frankly, I’m not convinced Scourge support is going to really be a thing anyway.

in Guardian

Ragnarox.9601

Scourge as a support can deal huge amount of dmg, and can 1v1 solo anyone. Firebrand on the other hand….cant.

in Guardian

Crinn.7864

Scourge as a support can deal huge amount of dmg, and can 1v1 solo anyone. Firebrand on the other hand….cant.

Scourge can’t 1v1. Secondly the damage scourge was doing was a bug with how dhuumfire was interacting with the F skills.

Scourge as per the dev’s own quotes, is supposed to be a support and it support is based on barriers. Giving guardians barrier share would mean that scourge would be irrelevant since scourge only brings barriers, while Firebrand brings heals, boons, on top of barriers.

YouTube

(edited by Crinn.7864)

in Guardian

Ragnarox.9601

Scourge can’t 1v1. Secondly the damage scourge was doing was a bug with how dhuumfire was interacting with the F skills.

Scourge as per the dev’s own quotes, is supposed to be a support and it support is based on barriers. Giving guardians barrier share would mean that scourge would be irrelevant since scourge only brings barriers, while Firebrand brings heals, boons, on top of barriers.

Guardian can bring better boons and heals and firebrand only brings big cds and cone mantras.

in Guardian

Selendile.9106

This is one of the problems with FB. It can’t play reactionary. All your “oh kitten” abilities are gated behind huge cast times. Look at ToC’s projectile reflect. Good luck having that ready when you actually need it. It’s pretty much a wasted ability. Seems to be a trend with several elites in PoF. Same applies for weaver with having to rotate elements twice to get off hand skills they need. At least they get Unravel. Frankly my #1 biggest problem with FB in its current form is tome cast times. That would HELP, not fix. HELP. Combine that with mantras having similar range as Shield #4, and we’re in business. lol