Fixing the medi-guard - Burning, son!

in Guardian

Posted by: Aedrion.6483

Aedrion.6483

Medi guard is stronk! But there’s some professions that slap them about like nobody’s business. Engineers, mesmers, rangers. Yes, you can beat them but good luck beating one who knows what he’s doing. You’ll be chasing them forever most of the time.

So I began using this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQNAR5dlsApcoNDxaI8DNR8Ql1YUdAkAP61HRQkDA-TJhAwACuIAz2fYcZAAPBAA

So what does it have? It relies less on stacking might and nuking fast as other builds do and instead relies on keeping up burning to increase damage done. It’ll deal less damage on burst but adds a lovely 850 dmg per second in the form of burning. Goodbye annoying evasive classes and hello mesmer corpse!

Best of all is that this burning is AoE, have some condis? Pull some ‘friends’ in with binding blade, pop purging flames, use leap or WW and wham, tons of damage!

It’s also durable. Yes, it’s less bursty and no, you won’t be nuking somebody down with this all too fast but as far as being all-round great in teamfights goes, this build has worked very well for me.

I think that, in general, this build is better than what most people run these days.

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

I hate to be that guy, but you’re a little late on the bandwagon.

Your build could also use some refining; there are better ways to build a hybrid guardian.

in Guardian

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

I’ve got no problems taking down rangers (Mesmers are even easier)… Well I haven’t played against an ESL ranger or whatever, but don’t think that should be the standard for “knows what he’s doing”?

I believe such builds have already been suggested but people prefer the meta.
Also evasive classes (thief / mesmers?) are no problem with my medi meta build.

My biggest problems are ele’s / Engi’s.
Ele keeps me busy forever for their backup, engi just knocks me all over the place…

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

in Guardian

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

So what does it have? It relies less on stacking might and nuking fast as other builds do.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQNAR8dl0ApcoVDxbI8DVR8QlZK+i2UVAgz1/QQkDA-TJBFwACuIAy3foaZAAPBAA

I’ve just compared my meta build with yours, and it’s the same might sources…
Only mine are just a tiny bit longer (1-4s)

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

in Guardian

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

Medi guard is stronk! But there’s some professions that slap them about like nobody’s business. Engineers, mesmers, rangers. Yes, you can beat them but good luck beating one who knows what he’s doing. You’ll be chasing them forever most of the time.

So I began using this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQNAR5dlsApcoNDxaI8DNR8Ql1YUdAkAP61HRQkDA-TJhAwACuIAz2fYcZAAPBAA

So what does it have? It relies less on stacking might and nuking fast as other builds do and instead relies on keeping up burning to increase damage done. It’ll deal less damage on burst but adds a lovely 850 dmg per second in the form of burning. Goodbye annoying evasive classes and hello mesmer corpse!

Best of all is that this burning is AoE, have some condis? Pull some ‘friends’ in with binding blade, pop purging flames, use leap or WW and wham, tons of damage!

It’s also durable. Yes, it’s less bursty and no, you won’t be nuking somebody down with this all too fast but as far as being all-round great in teamfights goes, this build has worked very well for me.

I think that, in general, this build is better than what most people run these days.

sry to say you are bit too late (over 6 months let )
ceimash has started this condi guard and others like me post several build after the patch with the new 33% burning dmg with carrion hybrid

basic builds as u see are 6,2,6,0,0 or 6,0,6,0,2 carrion and flame runes or other condi runes

you will see some call it the hybrid hype and i also post it for trial in the metabattle web page

this build kill ele more easily than the medzerk as both base on constant dmg and not burst . and also engi even with kd are easier with scepter attacks from range
and for me this build does more good aoe dmg in pvp than 1 burst trick with med zerk meta build (if so i would go a thief or mesmer)

in Guardian

Aedrion.6483

That’s the ’ol classic build.

See my problem with medi guard was that once you begin meeting people who really know their kitten, landing burst becomes significantly harder. Guardian moves are quite telegraphed and anyone with eyes can see when he’s about to get the GS burst landed on him. Sword skill 3 is terrible to boot.

Add to that the ability of some classes to slow you like elementalists and engies, or the ability to hide from you, like mesmers and thieves (though thieves die to any medi-guard worth his salt) and the reliance upon keeping up the pressure really begins to show.

Burning alleviates some of that and allows you to deal damage even when you’re not in range. Hence this build. It performs less well versus some classes but much better overall.

in Guardian

Posted by: Booms.2594

Booms.2594

its funny at the highest skill level I’d rather fight a ranger or mes like 90% more than a thief.
Thief takes so much effort to beat since if they land 1 mace crack its gonna be close and if they land 2 then its over and you lost gg..
but yeah burn guard brings absolutely nothing more than just what a normal guard could do. if youre afraid of engi switch to 01616 with normal weapons (not hammer bs) and youll do a lot better just like that.

gerdian

in Guardian

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

You think medi guard is bad vs ranger?

in Guardian

Black Box.9312

Thief takes so much effort to beat since if they land 1 mace crack its gonna be close and if they land 2 then its over and you lost gg..

It still really kittenes me off that when a thief steals from a guardian they get a skill that gives them something that we don’t even have.

in Guardian

Posted by: Keksmuffin.1450

Keksmuffin.1450

It still really kittenes me off that when a thief steals from a guardian they get a skill that gives them something that we don’t even have.

What are you talking about we have this sik daze m8 http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pacifism

On a srs note: Condi/hybrid/whatever guard brings basicly nothing to teamfights, meh cleave, barely any noticeable aoe, barely any support, no burst at all and it doesn’t even have any defense over standard meditation guard baring some extra health.

It would also be nice if you could drop this stupid “people will avoid your burst easily when you play zerker guard” argument already. If you can’t set up bursts or at least get some decent damage off with a 1/2s casttime imob that is basicly undodgeable, smite condi that does up to 4k instant damage and a port that lets you hit pretty much any skill if you precast it from a LoS, then maybe you’re doing something wrong. Stop randomly porting with gs 2 and hoping that people will tank it maybe. :T

Bullet Punch

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

I tried a condi/hybrid guard and its worthless, you lose both dps and resistance. If they add at least one dmg contion to the class, thne maybe can work.

Sorry for my english.

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I tried a condi/hybrid guard and its worthless, you lose both dps and resistance. If they add at least one dmg contion to the class, thne maybe can work.

Not sure how you can call one of the best 1v1 specs in the game worthless. The best spec is 62600 sc/focus sw/torch carrion krait runes. I’ve had top players, including eles and warriors of all builds, call it OP in that area.

If the build isn’t for you then no prob, it isn’t for everyone. Don’t let a l2p issue tell you it’s worthless when it isnt.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Black Box.9312

Not sure how you can call one of the best 1v1 specs in the game worthless. The best spec is 62600 sc/focus sw/torch carrion krait runes. I’ve had top players, including eles and warriors of all builds, call it OP in that area.

If the build isn’t for you then no prob, it isn’t for everyone. Don’t let a l2p issue tell you it’s worthless when it isnt.

lol krait runes.

Don’t run krait runes on a guardian.

in Guardian

Saiyan.1704

lol krait runes.

You will when you realize it’s the only way to beat certain specs. It’s thee best 1v1 rune. Thieves absolutely hate the rune. Foxible banned it in koth, he lifted the ban, and instead banned condi guards.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in Guardian

Black Box.9312

lol krait runes.

You will when you realize it’s the only way to beat certain specs. It’s thee best 1v1 rune. Thieves absolutely hate the rune. Foxible banned it in koth, he lifted the ban, and instead banned condi guards.

I can guarantee you that I can beat whatever specs you’re referring to with flame legion runes and doom sigils instead.

And also deal more DPS.

in Guardian

Saiyan.1704

lol krait runes.

I can guarantee you that I can beat whatever specs you’re referring to with flame legion runes and doom sigils instead.

And also deal more DPS.

I’m always willing to admit that there’s a better build than mine or a better player. The latter of which is definitely true :P

Mind posting your build or shooting me an email? I’d like to duel you sometime too!

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Black Box.9312

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQRAsd7flsApcoNDxbI8DNR8QZ1IUdAMBP61/wMkDA-TJRHwAf2fAZZABnEAAPBAA

The idea is to take advantage of Amplified Wrath (which is pretty unbalanced IMO) and the carrion amulet to reach ~800 dmg/sec burn ticks, and then start stacking power. The setup works by getting in as many hits as quickly as possible to maximize the output of VoJ’s passive. Enemies will either assume you’re zerker and not pay attention to the burning, or they’ll see the 800 damage burn ticks and be so focused on condi clear that they’ll fail to realize that you’re killing them with direct damage from your 2k power attacks. Doom sigil acts as kind of the nail in the coffin by countering sustain (with a little added DPS as a bonus).

So many people are focused on the “condi guardian” hype train that they’re missing the point entirely. Stacking bleeds and going full condition damage isn’t going to be as effective because none of the guardian’s skills and traits complement conditions other than burning in any way. You’re much better off combining the burning potential with direct damage output to apply more pressure on the enemy in less time.

in Guardian

messiah.1908

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQRAsd7flsApcoNDxbI8DNR8QZ1IUdAMBP61/wMkDA-TJRHwAf2fAZZABnEAAPBAA

The idea is to take advantage of Amplified Wrath (which is pretty unbalanced IMO) and the carrion amulet to reach ~800 dmg/sec burn ticks, and then start stacking power. The setup works by getting in as many hits as quickly as possible to maximize the output of VoJ’s passive. Enemies will either assume you’re zerker and not pay attention to the burning, or they’ll see the 800 damage burn ticks and be so focused on condi clear that they’ll fail to realize that you’re killing them with direct damage from your 2k power attacks. Doom sigil acts as kind of the nail in the coffin by countering sustain (with a little added DPS as a bonus).

So many people are focused on the “condi guardian” hype train that they’re missing the point entirely. Stacking bleeds and going full condition damage isn’t going to be as effective because none of the guardian’s skills and traits complement conditions other than burning in any way. You’re much better off combining the burning potential with direct damage output to apply more pressure on the enemy in less time.

i would take 1 geomancy sigil to bring some 3 stack bleeding to the fight

in Guardian

messiah.1908

i see so many not tested qq on this build
1v1 it works better than medzerk
2v2 also work better with aoe burning poison and bleed
3v3 the same

where it isnt shine when its 2v1 so medzerk can put faster and harder burst dmg
or when you need to kill down ppl fast

in Guardian

Posted by: Booms.2594

Booms.2594

3v3 the same

not true its weaker 1v1 and only better in VERY FEW 2v2s (so worse overall) and way worse in 3v3

gerdian

in Guardian

Saiyan.1704

Thank you for your post sir. Regardless of what build comes my way i’m always optimistic. Else I’ll never learn! If nothing else the build can be effective in other ways.

Before I Carry On:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQRAsf7dlsApaolDxbI8DNR8QZ1IUdAUAP61/wMkDA-TJRHwABOJAILDA4JAEa/BA
This is my build that I’ve been using for quite awhile before discovering the hybrid trait line was considered meta… and a hybrid >.< :p
I respectfully got it from someone else who was 3x better than me (at that time!) Thankfully I’ve been dueling since and improved greatly! Eclipse <3

First Main Differences
My burst is every 10s.
With Flashing Blade or Judges Intervention + swap, it’s a near guarantee burn, bleed poison or 838 + 308 + 205 = 1351 dmg per sec per 4s. Afterwards is the remainder 14s bleeds and 3s poison.
Until 4s worth of initial burn runs out or they cleanse it.
Picked Shattered Aegis for the added damage + burn.

Let me emphasis that this is the first two weapon swaps:
1) Judges Intervention
2) flashing blade
There is no definite rotation.. meaning you can do this for a warrior (before they pop stances) but you definitely don’t want to use this rotation on a Absolute Resolution Medi Guardian… that expects it XD
Every class is different.. you can get hard countered by Medi Guards but they’re still beatable. I don’t recommend facing them in mid until after the fact (see last paragraph)

Secondary Build Differences
Rune of Krait gives about 4k worth of damage. By the time I get to it, no one has enough cleanses because (like you said) no one expects a burn guard… let alone something like rune of krait.

Off record (jk put it on) I’ve downed 3x 30% people in mid while using Judge’s Intervention + Rune of Krait after my team wiped.

It’s an insane power blast if used at the right time. I of course downed them all while getting downed myself… for some reason a guardian running at you from a distance, bent over, is kind of noticeable… i’m sure they had no idea what i was doing lol!

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in Guardian

messiah.1908

What ppl forget about hybrid guard
Burning with poison and 3 stacks of bleed are better then the necro conditions
At best they will be 7 stacks of bleeding poison and fear or burning if traited
Also the same for condi engi
The main difference is the other two can proc more undamagable conditions which works as cover
So the guard have the abilities to proc the burning constantly and every weapon swap while doing good direct dmg which the other engi and necro can’t while they can offer nice cc time to time
So you can’t ask for more conditions as you make the guard op and better if his conditions will be hard to cleanse

in Guardian

messiah.1908

3v3 the same

not true its weaker 1v1 and only better in VERY FEW 2v2s (so worse overall) and way worse in 3v3

Maybe it’s you as for me it works wonder and faster in some cases where the med zerk will has problems like dd ele bunker guard engi etc…

in Guardian

Saiyan.1704

3v3 the same

Maybe it’s you as for me it works wonder and faster in some cases where the med zerk will has problems like dd ele bunker guard engi etc…

Booms if you meant that Medi Zerk works better overall vs a condi guard build, I’d have to agree with messiah… unless you were talking to the previous guy’s build.

My explanation as to why:
Condi against classes with 4+ condi each is likely to get countered. Med Zerks are the best examples, assuming they know you’re a condi guard. People with <= 3 cleanses, or 3 single condi cleanses, give little to no issues.
Thats the majority of people playing in spvp/tpvp.

Yet, we’re talking about two completely different builds and playing styles. Zerk meds will do “Ok” in 1v1 and “Good” against head-to-head 4v4/5v5 Zergfest scenarios.
They’re “ok” in any team composition actually. It’s why the build is the most popular Meta.

Condi guards will do “Great” in 1v1 and “Ok” in 4v4/5v5 team compositions. Team cleanses are about the same but just slightly favoring Absolute Resolution vs Torch #5.
(And/or if you go Purging Flames)
Making condi work in 4v4/5v5 zerg fests takes a lot more timing and skill for a condi guard to not suck.

TL/DR
Saying zerks do overall better is definitely not true. When every other glassy class in spvp and tpvp are more susceptible to conditions. A Zerk cant roamer/assault-defend nearly as well as a Condi can.
Defending said location and Roaming to decap is 50% of the game.
(Assuming one point is contested)

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Black Box.9312

The main difference is the other two can proc more undamagable conditions which works as cover
So the guard have the abilities to proc the burning constantly and every weapon swap while doing good direct dmg which the other engi and necro can’t while they can offer nice cc time to time
So you can’t ask for more conditions as you make the guard op and better if his conditions will be hard to cleanse

The only thing that makes burning better on guardian is Amplified Wrath. Other than that engineer completely outclasses guardian when it comes to burning builds.

in Guardian

Posted by: Hero.2319

Hero.2319

You can check my video on how play burn guard properly. It is not what you think, but then again I’ve never lost with this build. WATCH AND BE FOREVER CHANGED

http://youtu.be/9mgbcSqkh0g

in Guardian

Aedrion.6483

You can check my video on how play burn guard properly. It is not what you think, but then again I’ve never lost with this build. WATCH AND BE FOREVER CHANGED

I hate to say it but all the people you fought were extremely bad. :P
The necromancer did nothing and just ran, that ranger walked backwards while spamming 1 on longbow… the warrior never even tried to attack you. They all suck. I can kill people like that while naked. Also, if you link videos like this and don’t link the build, that helps nobody.

Still, the ticks prove that burning guardian is legit.

in Guardian

Posted by: Hero.2319

Hero.2319

The necromancer did nothing and just ran, that ranger walked backwards while spamming 1 on longbow… the warrior never even tried to attack you. They all suck. I can kill people like that while naked. Also, if you link videos like this and don’t link the build, that helps nobody.

You’re quite right, sadly I can hardly find anyone in wvw that fights back once I burst them. Especially wars…they just run and I consider it an accomplishment just to catch them. Wish there are more skillful solo roamers around, not pansies in small groups.

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Guardian has to guard, Ranger has to range. Someone has to die.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Guardian

messiah.1908

The only thing that makes burning better on guardian is Amplified Wrath. Other than that engineer completely outclasses guardian when it comes to burning builds.

why? engi proc burning slower than guard which does less dmg than guard

in Guardian

messiah.1908

here is the build he was using
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQRAsf7dlsApKoFBxZI8DNh8QlZY0iW2BXQ1TQA0oA-T1RHwABeIAsU/5uSQAnBgO6HCt/wRlfkCAm5AA-w

basic 1v1 build