Focus or Torch for WvW Roaming?

in Guardian

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

I’d like to know if Torch is a good option for roaming/dueling.
I’ve started playing Guard only recently and I don’t know much about it. I’d like to make a roaming/dueling build, but I need some input.
Could you tell me if something like this could work?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQNAR8flUgSDXHSOEfIFhNDAiwqCxDXw1DIGxGC-j0CBYLRGdBg+IwUBQJfAZPMaslhFRjVvATXaR1qXAeDMa1SB80YA-w

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

if you’re gonna run with GS and Sword mainhand, i would recommend Focus. torch could work as well, but you get more utility from Focus, imho. i run torch when i am running focus on my other set, and i love torch as well, though i’ll always pick focus first if i only get one offhand.

and the build is a good setup, especially if you’re mixing in 2hers as well. a slight variation from the standard burst DPS build for PvP/WvW.

although, might i suggest going for more berserker gear? or more offensive gear at that. you can mix soldier and berserker or valkyrie, etc. when you’re roaming, you want to be able to do as much damage as possible and put on a lot of offensive pressure. not saying you forego defenses entirely, cause you can still use blinds, blocks, and you’ve vigor traited as well. but i would like to see higher crit ratings (both chacne and dmg) with a build like this.

if you’re willing to, i’d suggest going for either full zerker or valkyrie weps. and then maybe zerker shoulders, gloves and boots. and then mix in full zerker jewelry as well.

or, to start with keep full soldier armor and go full zerker trinkets. and the more you play, getting a better sense of how to sustain in this build, you can go to more zerkers. you’ll be pretty mobile with this build, GS, sword, JI as well as traveller runes so make sure to stick to ur enemies and play aggressive!!! not blindly of course, but no better defense than offense works with this build.

also, when i play a similar build, the only two utilities i never change are Smite Condition and Judge’s Intervention. if you suspect lot of conditions, Contemplation of Purity. roaming in small groups? merciful intervention could be a good choice. need stability? stand your ground is always a good choice. and if i’m feeling good, i’ll take bane signet. so much fun for the knockdown. offensively and defensively. if not, the passive power boost is nice too.

[added: and oh, lastly, if you’re gonna take focus instead, obvi change torch trait to Powerful Blades. and i feel like you might as well take powerful blades over the torch trait as long as you’re using a sword]
hope this helps.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

They both have their pros and cons, and are useful. Torch will give you better dps, while focus gives you better survivability.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in Guardian

akamon.2769

plus, you can always swap when ooc and depending how you feel. : ))

[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

TY for your feedback. I’ll try to experiment with both. The Traveler runes are a must in this setup. The gear is ok I think… Maybe I will replace the gloves, boots and shoulders with zerker pieces, but as it stands now I think I’m ok with that.
The only problem I see is how I can handle conditions. Condition users are really common in WvW roaming and the only cleanses I see are Smite Condition (1condition on 16s CD) and Contemplation of Purity (48s CD). Could swap the Block with the Signet in case I see a conditioner approaching, but that’s it. The torch could help since it SHOULD cleanse something (I have never ever used it, the only weapons I’ve used so far are GS, Staff and Hammer).

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in Guardian

Posted by: Shadow.9641

Shadow.9641

I´m running GS & S/F because the Focus gives me more survivability (same as Harbinger above) infight

Edit caused by reply:
Switch MI to CoP, then conditions are a way more smaller problem.
I ran Signet of Resolve the last days, because of the cleanse by time and more heal, problem is, that it doesn´t block and it can be easier interrupted

Big Heimdal
Pikeneer

(edited by Shadow.9641)

in Guardian

akamon.2769

yea I run SoR sometimes a well for more passive condi removal. though Shelter is good too. usually a toss up for me.

Smite condi is on a low CD, so use that well. and then practice not blowing CoP too early on a few conditions or small stacks, if you can afford to. some classes can restack like no other so do your best to learn those builds, block and blinds whenever you can as well.

focus 4 can help remove condi’s as well so that’s another factor for deciding to run with torch or focus. can always switch also if u have time and you know what class you’ll be up against. just make sure to use it up close and in there face so it bounces back to you.

torch 5 does remove condi but ONLY on your allies. rather lack luster skill tbh, though it has its uses. sth many GUards have been asking for was for it to remove condi on self as well, or remove on pulse.

if you want more anti-condi methods, here a few other options:

• generosity sigils but pricey as kittens. maybe purity could be an option? just more passive removal since they are on crit but you’ll lose your energy. always golden when you transfer a condi that the Guard suaully doesn’t have though (which is most of them :PP)
  • you can take some condition duration reduction food as well over the life steal food. i would run with DPS food as well anyways if not condition duration reduction. but again, i tend to lean towards as much offense as i can give when i run this build.
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Iconoklast.2389

Iconoklast.2389

I used to run torch because I’m a sucker for seeing big numbers and that #4 skill can do some work. However I’ve been playing using focus for a while now and the extra survivability can be a lifesaver and comes in clutch all the time.

Iconoklast – Guardian / Icono Clone – Mesmer
Tiny Icono – Engineer / The Icono – Elementalist
SoS – Empyrean Knights [EK] YB – The Coasters [TC]

in Guardian

Posted by: Winzzy.9435

Winzzy.9435

Focus shield explosion is l337 deeps…

in Guardian

Posted by: Blasino.3128

Blasino.3128

My vote is focus. Its an off-hand that can be used offensively and defensively which gives you flexibility.

Uturunku Yana, Guardian / Chullachaqui Yana, Engie
Group Stability is a hell of a Drug – Rick James
vT

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Focus for every reason people said. Just how it works, sad but true. However, on that note I think Arena Net should consider:

1. Making Torch main hand
2. Swap Focus and Shield in regards to their abilities
3. Remove focus

I’m a sucker for shields but it just doesn’t block has much or well has the focus does. While 5 is great for pushing people usually know by Friday night or Saturday morning the enemy knows who uses it, when they use it, and has someone negate it or use stability

Torch, well, is super cool but really wish it was main hand and it really isn’t necessary for most if not all burn builds. So, might has well has use something that gives us more friends with bennies And who here doesn’t like those options!!!

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Guardian

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

Focus for the blocks and condition removal. Especially the condition removal.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

in Guardian

Posted by: Maladon.5760

Maladon.5760

Still like the shield for fighting thieves. It’s just kittenign hilarious knocking them out of their house.

Malzarius – Guardian
Malzerius – Thief
Dark Covenant (SBI)