Gaurdian Staff

Gaurdian Staff

in Guardian

Posted by: Sunspear General.7964

Sunspear General.7964

So guardian staff….skill 1…let’s say you have sigil of frailty…which causes vulnerability…does that apply to everyone you hit? or just the target?

Gaurdian Staff

in Guardian

Posted by: SilkySmooth.1574

SilkySmooth.1574

problaby the first person it hits. just like how greatsword 2 will proc any sigil on the first hit.

Gemcaster

Gaurdian Staff

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

I wish its worthless auto-attack would get buffed or reworked to be made more interesting.

Gaurdian Staff

in Guardian

Posted by: Sunspear General.7964

Sunspear General.7964

lol with enough might you can hit for over 1k =P

Gaurdian Staff

in Guardian

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Well imagine a bunch of berserker guardians running around hitting 6k crits with their staffs autoattack… I think there is a reason it is made weak

9 Guardians later…

Gaurdian Staff

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Wave of Wrath is the best farming tool in the game, however I’d rather have it changed to make it more useful in other areas of the game. The staff is a more support oriented weapon, every skill besides WoW is for support. WoW is just bad design, seems like they couldn’t think of anything, so they just went with a weak spammable AoE, that doesn’t do anything for the staff.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Gaurdian Staff

in Guardian

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I wish its worthless auto-attack would get buffed or reworked to be made more interesting.

Well my staff’s auto attacks crit for an average of 1200 (as high as 1500) on 5 targets. That’s a total 6000 to damage on an AA. Doesn’t seem that worthless to me.

Wave of Wrath is the best farming tool in the game, however I’d rather have it changed to make it more useful in other areas of the game. The staff is a more support oriented weapon, every skill besides WoW is for support. WoW is just bad design, seems like they couldn’t think of anything, so they just went with a weak spammable AoE, that doesn’t do anything for the staff.

So you want the only real damage skill to be reworked into more support?

Also, If you build right, it’s actually pretty strong.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

(edited by Julie Yann.5379)

Gaurdian Staff

in Guardian

Harbinger.8637

Well my staff’s auto attacks crit for an average of 1200 (as high as 1500) on 5 targets. That’s a total 6000 to damage on an AA. Doesn’t seem that worthless to me.

No, I just want it to be reworked into some thing that’s actually useful.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Gaurdian Staff

in Guardian

Julie Yann.5379

What could be more useful than a spammable medium range AoE than can hit through walls? and like you said before, it is the #1 farming tool in the game

Gaurdian Staff

in Guardian

Harbinger.8637

What could be more useful than a spammable medium range AoE than can hit through walls? and like you said before, it is the #1 farming tool in the game

Yes, it’s great for farming, and I understand people love their “loot sticks” and don’t want it changed. However it’s borderline useless in almost all other areas.

PvE ( Dungeons and FoTM)- Not used

WvW- Only really used in larger fights to get more tags, so more loot (Pretty much just farming).

PvP- Only place I can see it being somewhat useful is spamming through the walls and breaking windows at CT in Kyhlo.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Gaurdian Staff

in Guardian

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

Yes, it’s great for farming, and I understand people love their “loot sticks” and don’t want it changed. However it’s borderline useless in almost all other areas.

PvE ( Dungeons and FoTM)- Not used

WvW- Only really used in larger fights to get more tags, so more loot (Pretty much just farming).

PvP- Only place I can see it being somewhat useful is spamming through the walls and breaking windows at CT in Kyhlo.

Not everything is meant to be 100 % useful everywhere

Gaurdian Staff

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

The problem is that it’s useless in almost all scenarios, and not only that, it’s also rather boring. I don’t pick a staff so I can tag for loot, I pick a staff so I can support.

Gaurdian Staff

in Guardian

Julie Yann.5379

The problem is that it’s useless in almost all scenarios, and not only that, it’s also rather boring. I don’t pick a staff so I can tag for loot, I pick a staff so I can support.

The problem is that the staff has really lame support aside from skill 4.

Skill 2 “the orb of lol”, not only does it have mediocre damage, but it also has a lame heal which has never saved anybody’s life, ever.

Skill 3, “Symbol of stand still while I grant you swiftness” can do minor damage (I useually drop it on a downed foe while I fight someone else). It is a blastable light field but who ever asked for a blast of retal before a fight? It’s only real use is the speed boost which requires you to stand still to get to full effect (extra lame).

Skill 4, great might boost and self healing if traited with AH. The only decent skill on this weapon other than the AA.

Skill 5 “line of just be ignore it with stability or RI or Defiance” not only that, it takes so long for the kitten skill to fire off that more often than not, the enemies have run past it before it actually gets placed. Only effective against nubs and trash mobs. It has it’s uses but most of the time it doesn’t work.

The problem with the staff is not the AA.

(edited by Julie Yann.5379)

Gaurdian Staff

in Guardian

Posted by: Starduster.9746

Starduster.9746

I main a Guardian in WvW with Greatsword/Staff, and yeah the auto attack is no help whatsoever unless I’m in a zerg fight where I can tag everything then reap the loot bags.

I do find the other stuff useful though

Skill 2- The amount of squishy Thieves running from me who’ve been caught by this and downed is unreal

Skill 3- It’s helpful running around even if it is short spurts of swiftness and….well that’s about it for that

Skill 4- Most useful skill because of the nice might and healing

Skill 5- Maybe I run into a lot of noobs but 70% of people I see charge into this thing and I just laugh

Gaurdian Staff

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Personally I wish they would rework the staff a bit

Have Orb of Light & Wave of Wrath swap places.

Then take the detonate off Orb of Light & make it spammable. (1 sec ICD)

Lastly they can put Wave of wrath on a 5ish second CD and up the damage.

This would make the staff a good weapon.

As is all its good for is might stacking, line of warding is trash vs bosses & any player with a brain & the symbol takes to dang long to get the full benefit.

Gaurdian Staff

in Guardian

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

I would have liked to see staff auto have something connected to it, like an heal, or boon application on cast.

Orb of light is ok, but it still gets bugged out and stuck in animation sometimes, forcing a burst and longer cooldown duration. It’s application in healing has been HIGHLY mediocre at best and it is mostly just a way to push a little bit more dps out of staff…which is a joke.

Maybe make orb of light “Beam of Light” and have it work as a channeled heal and/or dps ability. It would work/look similar to mesmer greatsword auto attack but it could pierce and heal or damage allies or foes in the beam, up to 3? maybe 5 targets.

Take the burst out, as it is highly underused or buggy.

Symbol of Swiftness…. It was buff/nerfed. In a zerg, this is great now as it used to only give 1 second of swiftness if you had swiftness on already. So it works great for large group swiftness stacking while moving, as lots of people can run through it.

But now it is so much weaker running solo, we have even MORE problems with quality of life for traveling…not even in combat but just in general.

I would like to see all symbols see a fairly large increase in damage per tick, or have a way to “hasten” the symbol ticks so that they are deadly and fearful, instead of just lawl red circle ignore.

Empower works, it does what it needs to do, maybe larger range and/or extend to 10 targets? With AH that becomes OP though… at least larger range of effect.

Line of Warding….does what it needs to do also, I don’t see a great way to improve it. Used to be stationary to cast, but now we can move. Shorter cooldown would be nice.

Gaurdian Staff

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

I would have liked to see staff auto have something connected to it, like an heal, or boon application on cast.

Orb of light is ok, but it still gets bugged out and stuck in animation sometimes, forcing a burst and longer cooldown duration. It’s application in healing has been HIGHLY mediocre at best and it is mostly just a way to push a little bit more dps out of staff…which is a joke.

Maybe make orb of light “Beam of Light” and have it work as a channeled heal and/or dps ability. It would work/look similar to mesmer greatsword auto attack but it could pierce and heal or damage allies or foes in the beam, up to 3? maybe 5 targets.

Take the burst out, as it is highly underused or buggy.

Symbol of Swiftness…. It was buff/nerfed. In a zerg, this is great now as it used to only give 1 second of swiftness if you had swiftness on already. So it works great for large group swiftness stacking while moving, as lots of people can run through it.

But now it is so much weaker running solo, we have even MORE problems with quality of life for traveling…not even in combat but just in general.

I would like to see all symbols see a fairly large increase in damage per tick, or have a way to “hasten” the symbol ticks so that they are deadly and fearful, instead of just lawl red circle ignore.

Empower works, it does what it needs to do, maybe larger range and/or extend to 10 targets? With AH that becomes OP though… at least larger range of effect.

Line of Warding….does what it needs to do also, I don’t see a great way to improve it. Used to be stationary to cast, but now we can move. Shorter cooldown would be nice.

As far as Orb of light goes.
With 6 points in honor and 2 pieces of celestial gear I get a little over 300 points on healing off it without detonation.
If they were to remove the detonation, put it in the #1 spot on the staff and make it spammable (maybe slightly lower the damage) it would be a good mix of healing & damage per second.
After they could move Wave of wrath to the #2 spot, put it on a 5-8 second CD and either up the damage quite a bit or make it remove a condition.

As for the symbol you right, It does suck now.
I have said for quite a while that they should cut the duration of all symbols in half then greatly increase the damage & double boon applied per pulse.

This would make symbols damage something for enemies to actually want to avoid instead of laugh at.
It would also make it so the guardian wouldn’t need to stand there for the full benefit like an idiot for several seconds making them a prime target for enemies.

Gaurdian Staff

in Guardian

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

I just wish it didn’t have that awful stroking animation it does.

Gaurdian Staff

in Guardian

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

I just wish it didn’t have that awful stroking animation it does.

Actually, on a Charr that animation is different – it looks like they’re trying to stab the enemy with it. I find that fitting for the race.

I also like the suggestions to swap Orb for Wave. I’ve been trying Mesmer again (also a Charr), and its staff AA uses a bouncing orb. Re-using this base mechanic to replace the Guard’s Orb should not take much work.

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)