General Defense Guardian Build

in Guardian

Posted by: Witchdoctor Dan.3814

Witchdoctor Dan.3814

Lately I’ve been experimenting with different guardian builds to no avail. I don’t enjoy zerker builds that much and I don’t enjoy sword/focus builds very much either. I’ve recently devised a build combining aspects of pve and wvw into a heavy defensive playstyle http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vUAQNAS5el0ApaodDxVI0ENhkpYlQQMFY0Hd9AicoGC-zkCBoLCyUDQ0HwEIAEBgZPFRjtMMs1RDRTXCSpaI1AA-w

The conceit is to be heavy on personal defense while also being able to support others on the side. I know soldier gear is called a crutch by the more hardcore players, but I want to play for fun. Basically mace/shield and hammer are used lockdown enemies and buff up yourself and others. Scepter would be used for ranged battles and staff would be good for extra support and mobility.

So as a first time theorycrafter, how is this build? I would like some input before I start spending gold on changes and gear.

in Guardian

Posted by: obal.3218

obal.3218

Making a build for pve and wvw is bad. They are 2 completely different modes with different needs. This looks more like a wvw build if anything. Anything related to healing and retaliation, meditations, mace, shield, and 30 in valor aren’t what you want for pve. Something like this would be better for pve in regards to what you seem to be going for.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vUAQJASRlsApUo9CxZI8DVRkVQk2HAY9h4hpAje8qQCB-zwBBYfDRjKYIaZmKr5pCiFXFRjVXDT5iIqmUARMMC-e

in Guardian

Witchdoctor Dan.3814

Not really sold on that build.

in Guardian

Witchdoctor Dan.3814

I’ve also been reading that mixing zerk and assassin gear no longer gives better dps than going full zerk.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

What I would do, is grab a combination of knights and zerker, and soldiers. For pve, run knights and zerkers with 15/25/0/20/10 traited for hammer symbols and consecrations. Other than gear, it’s what I run.
For wvw, replace zerker with soldiers, and retrait for the low low cost of 3s50c. Generic AH 0/0/30/30/10 or 0/15/30/20/5 should be sufficient (or even meditations). You can keep the hammer between the two game modes. Staff is good utility in wvw and if you’re running hammer you don’t need anything else in pve.
It’s not the best solution, but it’s as good as you’ll likely get. For pve you’ll generally want to maximize damage while for wvw defense is paramount. Roaming is a separate topic.

Fishsticks

in Guardian

Posted by: obal.3218

obal.3218

Not really sold on that build.

Take your pick then. It doesn’t really get any better than these for pve hammer.

Meta = 15/25/0/20/10

• Best for Fractals

More Support = 15/15/0/20/20

• Best for pugging dungeons

The Respectable Tank = 15/15/10/20/10

• Use if you are new to the game or struggling

I’ve also been reading that mixing zerk and assassin gear no longer gives better dps than going full zerk.

It will be I just forgot to update the gear in the hammer build links. You can go with a mix of defensive armor and zerker trinkets also if you feel the need.