Glacial Heart change, is it good?

in Guardian

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

I’m not sure if you guys seen the post by the dev, but Glacial Heart is being buffed Oct 15th. Here is what changes:

Glacial Heart: This trait now delivers an area strike on the target it activates on, damaging and chilling up to 5 enemies in a 180 radius.

If you ask me, the change sounds good depending on the amount of damage it does. Either way, much better than what we have now. I know fellow guardian players have mixed feelings on the changes set to come on Oct 15th. So what does everyone think of this change? Yay? Or Nay?

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in Guardian

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Doesn’t sounds bad to me – but the ICD will make or break it.

As long as it’s 40 or 30 secs (like previous Glacial Heart versions) it will be useless anyway.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in Guardian

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

Does this mean it works for every weapon?

in Guardian

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

lower cd but lower chill duration would be better

in Guardian

Aza.2105

Does this mean it works for every weapon?

I’m not sure, but I think its still hammer only.

Windows 10

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Just sounds like sigil of Hydromancy

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in Guardian

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

If it is still hammer only, I might give it a test for zerg wvw as it sounds promising in that regard. If it is any weapon, I’ll definitely bring it for wvw to use with my staff. As for small group or solo play, I don’t see how this change will help it much unless the damage is fairly substantial.

in Guardian

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

Well it will come at a big cost. But might be really nice for AH builds.

You won’t really be able to take the new meditation trait.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in Guardian

Posted by: Dynnen.6405

Dynnen.6405

That is literally sigil of hydromancy…

in Guardian

Posted by: Smirnoffico.8235

Smirnoffico.8235

Wait, what changes are coming on Oct 15?

in Guardian

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

Is there a patch details post that I missed? The overview post didn’t mention this.

in Guardian

Posted by: Smirnoffico.8235

Smirnoffico.8235

in Guardian

Posted by: Entropy.4732

Entropy.4732

That is literally sigil of hydromancy…

I can’t wait to try this trait with sigil of hydromancy. Constant chills.

Styx Hemlock – Sylvari Mesmer – TFG – NSP

in Guardian

Posted by: ZoroDaOtter.3859

ZoroDaOtter.3859

It’s a step in the right direction, but if the requirements for activation are still the same then it’s crap since you have to pray the god of RNG. I want to choose when to activate it.

in Guardian

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

how about mighty blow now procs glacial heart. would be imba.

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

i kinda like that it’s like hydromancy. that sigil can be really strong at times. perma chill can be pretty annoying. though at the same time, a lot of people nowadays are running -condi duration or mass cleansing.

but we’ll see the details in how it works. waiting on ICD info.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

It’s a step in the right direction, but if the requirements for activation are still the same then it’s crap since you have to pray the god of RNG.

I agree. Crit-based guardians will be viable only when BASE HITPOINTS are improved.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

It’s better, but it’s not a gamechanger for PVE.

in Guardian

Posted by: Chorazin.4107

Chorazin.4107

meh once every 30 seconds? If you are running meditations you would be inclined to take focused mind, if u are running a shield, honorable shield and also with the mace you would take mace of justice.

If you are not running any of those, maybe, although you may look at Purity or Retributive Armour as being better.

Chorazin
[lion]~ riperonis
[tRex]

in Guardian

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

the only thing that would make it interesting is if the ICD is 10s and that the damage component hits for 3-4k on crit on a berserker/valkyrie setup.

Otherwise there are a bunch of traits and sigils that are better.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

Wake me up when it is has a reasonable cooldown. A-net almost seems afraid of making certain traits useful.

in Guardian

Posted by: azuzephyr.7280

azuzephyr.7280

I’d love it if this turns out awesome, might actually make hammer build not feel like a total waddler in pvp. But like most people have said, if the cooldown still sucks then it’ll still be stuck in the ‘never used’ pile

in Guardian

Posted by: mambastik.8735

mambastik.8735

I’ve said before I think it’s the most useless Guardian skill. It has practically 0 synergy with the other traits, other than the “+10%dmg on target with conditions”. But then again you’re relying more on that condition damage being Burning instead of a Chill.

I still think devs picked this out of a hat. A class where traits and skills go hand in hand like Blinds, Immob, Burning, Vuln, and somehow Chill was just thrown in there out of nowhere.

I’m betting even with the change from “50% chance to Chill every kitten ” to “100% chance every 30s” people still didn’t pick up Glacial Heart. Like many have said, there are so many other better choices that actually synergize with other skills.

in Guardian

Aza.2105

I’ve said before I think it’s the most useless Guardian skill. It has practically 0 synergy with the other traits, other than the “+10%dmg on target with conditions”. But then again you’re relying more on that condition damage being Burning instead of a Chill.

I still think devs picked this out of a hat. A class where traits and skills go hand in hand like Blinds, Immob, Burning, Vuln, and somehow Chill was just thrown in there out of nowhere.

I’m betting even with the change from "50% chance to Chill every kitten to “100% chance every 30s” people still didn’t pick up Glacial Heart. Like many have said, there are so many other better choices that actually synergize with other skills.

Glacial Heart is already a 100% chance to proc on crit. They changed that awhile ago, but yes I agree with what you are saying. It has no synergy what so ever. I think what really happened is this:

1. Anet decided to merge the two shield traits (-20% cooldown +90 toughness) together.

2. They needed a replacement trait.

3. They wanted to keep in theme with guardian, since they weren’t known to be a condition class.

4. They probably gave them burning because fire is seen as a holy element.

5. So they look at all the conditions in game and pick chilled. Because ice=blue and guardian’s color is blue.

The end.

Windows 10

in Guardian

Posted by: Ludus Rex.1562

Ludus Rex.1562

Can we please change this ability to work with every weapon type, and give a 2s chill on a 10s cooldown?

The base increase of the power would mean that it goes from 16% possible up-time to 20% possible up time (very minor buff), but because it procs more often, we can rely on a melee snare to get an attack rotation off more than once every 30 seconds.