Got badly trolled by a Guardian (need info)

in Guardian

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

It was so fun!
I was roaming around with my P/D Thief in WvW when suddenly a Guardian appeared. I know Guardians are, by far, the “hardest” class I can face, since they are the most durable and it’s really difficult to take one down in 1v1 unless they are zerker (ugh!). Still, I engaged the fight as I always do.
This time it was different. Usually, the first thing a Guardian does when “meeting” me is play defense, trying to get to the closest safe spot (Camp, Tower, even Sentries are helpful in these occasions). But this time, the Guardian accepted the fight head on, to my great surprise and pleasure.
After 30 seconds from the first hit, we were both still at full health. It was the first time this happened in all the fights I had in WvW. He was sitting still in his burn-blocks and perma retal. He couldn’t do anything because he was constantly crippled by my Black Powder, but I couldn’t just attack carelessly so I had to rely on single, high burst damage spikes. Thing is, after fighting for about 3 minutes (I even had to swap Basilisk Venom with Thieves Guild, hoping to get a higher damage output without hitting myself too much, with no success), I realized that was not a fight any of us could win. Everytime I tried to be a little more offensive, I took so much damage from his Retal that I had to back off and get some health back – of course, he did the same whenever I healed myself.
Eventually, a small group of players from my Server came and started attacking the Guardian. Funny thing is, even if we were, like, 5-6 people, he still managed to survive long enough to enter the closest tower.
It was fun: it is usually me, as a P/D thief, who trolls other people, not Guardians.

Now, the reason why I posted this here is to get some information by more experienced Guardians about what build he was using. That’s because I’d really like to get that commander book (there aren’t commanders in my server during late night, and I would really like to help my server sometimes), and after seeing this I thought a Guardian would fit the role really well, as it is far more survivable than a Thief, a Mesmer and an Elementalist during a fight.

So, in your opinion, what equipment/traits/skills was that Guardian using? Keep in mind that he was wielding a GS (he did not swap weapons during our fight), that his primary source of damage was burn/reta, and that he managed to get away safely after being chased for 30 seconds or so by 5+ people.
Thanks in advance for your replies (if I get any of course >.<)

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in Guardian

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

Almost guaranteed that he was a Healway variation. That would be this guy.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

in Guardian

Posted by: Shoe.5821

Shoe.5821

You can tell healways primarily by the heavy use of shouts and dodgerolls. And of course the immunity to conditions… Usually they are weapon swapping a lot though.

in Guardian

Posted by: fishergrip.4082

fishergrip.4082

Sounds to me more like the guardian was badly trolled by you. P/D thief is the biggest troll spec in the game. Anyway, it was just a healing speced guardian.

“You can tell healways primarily by the heavy use of shouts and dodgerolls. And of course the immunity to conditions…”
^^
I wouldn’t necessarily agree with that. Almost all guardian builds include heal on dodge, shouts and a good amount of condi removal.

You can tell healways by them having poor damage output and getting healed a lot upon roll/generally being impossible to take down without multiple people.

Maid Of The Coast

in Guardian

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

I know the OP didn’t ask how to kill said Guardian, but: boon removal/stealing and overwhelming condition spam.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Herein lies one of the biggest issues I have with this game. For any game really that has a light armor thief / stealth type class.

" P/D Thief ", light armor class using a dagger and pistol thinking they should be able to take down another class using heavy armor, great sword, insert other weapon of choice, or shield.

Just mind boggling if you want a honest opinion.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Guardian

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

yeah i think OP was the one trolling. got outplayed badly by a guardian and runs away when he gets in trouble, and even swaps out utilities to try again. if you had outplayed the guardian, he would be dead. You should have honored your duel and finished what you started.

Well, I figured that something like “hey look at me I am here you can’t do anything to me otherwise you die” it’s more of a troll than what I did.
I “wanted” to finish the duel, it is not my fault if other people came in. Plus, what’s wrong in swapping utilities? It’s one of the keypoints of P/D gameplay to be able to reset fights at ease. Maybe he swapped something too, who knows? I know very little about Guardians, that’s why I posted this in the first place ^^

Thanks for the awesome replies though! He was not dodging that much, he almost wanted me to hit him. I believe he dodged only when out of blocks/aegis, expecting a backstab
Neither of us got under 50% health for the entire fight though.

EDIT: please, do not make the mistake of thinking that I am that kind of thief who believes to be the best out there. I get killed too, and I still lose 1v1s from time to time (I consider running away with every utility on CD and 20% health a loss). I do not expect to win EVERY 1v1 I start. I came here asking for advice about the setup that Guardian was using, in order to counter that as a Thief and in order to improve my knowledge about this class which fascinates me a lot in regards of commanding.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

(edited by hihey.1075)

in Guardian

foofad.5162

Black powder weapons are why people stopped wearing armor in pre-Rennaisance Europe. Because metal slugs going a few hundred feet per second pierce metal. First the armored cavalry reduced their armor to three-quarter plate, then they left off the armor on their arms as well, until they were left with just a cuirass and helmet. The shape of the cuirass and helmet changed from domed or rounded to a rounded wedge in an effort to deflect bullets by forcing them to strike the armor at an angle, which increased the effective thickness of the metal.

Infantry followed a similar path, needing mobility to compete with rifles. Before full plate went completely by the wayside, European style infantry would carry thick daggers which were used to kill armored infantry that had been knocked off their feet, usually stabbing them in the neck between the bottom of the helmet and the gorget, or in the armpit which may have been mailed but not covered by a plate.

So eh, makes sense to me.

Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

in Guardian

Crapgame.6519

Yup Foofad. However, we have this wonderful thing called offensive and defensive magic /rollseyes

Don’t get me wrong I know what I said and read your reply. Makes sense. However, the whole thing goes out the door once you add that wonderful ‘magic’ layer

in Guardian

Christos de Soufre.3802

Want to counter a Guardian? Run S/D like every other Thief.

in Guardian

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

^^ Yep.

Burns on Blocks, Retal, Sword/Focus + GS… Dodge Rolls and Boons to boot.

Super troll build…. dodge’s in and out of combat.

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

in Guardian

foofad.5162

Yup Foofad. However, we have this wonderful thing called offensive and defensive magic /rollseyes

Don’t get me wrong I know what I said and read your reply. Makes sense. However, the whole thing goes out the door once you add that wonderful ‘magic’ layer

That goes both ways – thieves use Deception magic (same school as Mesmer) for their stealth and many of their weapon skills.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

You should have honored your duel and finished what you started.

It’s one of the keypoints of P/D gameplay to be able to reset fights at ease. .

There’s just something so very, very wrong with that statement. One of the reasons WvW/PvP in this game is messed up.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Guardian

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

I know the OP didn’t ask how to kill said Guardian, but: boon removal/stealing and overwhelming condition spam.

That works in PvP, the OP was talking about WvW.

in Guardian

Christos de Soufre.3802

Even in WvW, a competent S/D thief will kill a Healway guardian of equal or lesser skill. I haven’t personally died to one yet, but I’ve been given close enough calls to know that it’s completely possible for a competent boon-steal spammer to kill a boon-reliant build.

The condition spam might not be quite as viable for a Thief, so I probably should have just left that out. However, I’ve heard enough stories to know that Necros are a big problem for a lot of boon-heavy Guardians in WvW as well.

Though to be fair, I haven’t been out roaming in weeks.

(edited by Christos de Soufre.3802)

in Guardian

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Even in WvW, a competent S/D thief will kill a Healway guardian of equal or lesser skill. I haven’t personally died to one yet, but I’ve been given close enough calls to know that it’s completely possible for a competent boon-steal spammer to kill a boon-reliant build.

The condition spam might not be quite as viable for a Thief, so I probably should have just left that out. However, I’ve heard enough stories to know that Necros are a big problem for a lot of boon-heavy Guardians in WvW as well.

Though to be fair, I haven’t been out roaming in weeks.

I was more talking about the condition spam. In PvP it’s a real threat. In WvW you can just eat the condition reduction food + melandru runes and the way the reduction works is pretty broken.

in Guardian

Christos de Soufre.3802

Well when you put it that way, sure.

in Guardian

Crapgame.6519

Lol. I like the honesty.

in Guardian

Posted by: mambastik.8735

mambastik.8735

^^ Yep.

Burns on Blocks, Retal, Sword/Focus + GS… Dodge Rolls and Boons to boot.

Super troll build…. dodge’s in and out of combat.

Does the burn on block trait have a cooldown? For example using Shelter on Hundred Blades will give 8 seconds of burning. Also, does it stack with Rune of Guardian’s 6th bonus of adding burning on block, giving 2 seconds of burning for 1 block?

in Guardian

Posted by: Littlefeather.8623

Littlefeather.8623

I have been a guardian since beta, and I dont use forum builds.

When a D/D theif fights me they kill their selves, not just because retaliation…

My build lets me burn when I block, heal when I roll, I use two shouts, one gives 5 sec retaliation/stability, other gives 10 seconds retaltion + 7 others.

Its not perma retaliation, max is 15 seconds though.

I have 3.4k Armor, 3.9k Atk, 18K HP

With all that attack, any squishy that gets close to my GS is what I want, I want people to stand in melee range of me, if by chance they try to kite me I pull out my scepter/focus for anti kite work.

Not every player uses other peoples builds, some are atcually very good at making their own builds to play with. But with over 12 years of MMORPG experience, this comes very easy for me.

Crazy Leg

in Guardian

Posted by: guardiaN.1640

guardiaN.1640

I have been a guardian since beta, and I dont use forum builds.

When a D/D theif fights me they kill their selves, not just because retaliation…

My build lets me burn when I block, heal when I roll, I use two shouts, one gives 5 sec retaliation/stability, other gives 10 seconds retaltion + 7 others.

Its not perma retaliation, max is 15 seconds though.

With all that attack, any squishy that gets close to my GS is what I want, I want people to stand in melee range of me, if by chance they try to kite me I pull out my scepter/focus for anti kite work.

Not every player uses other peoples builds, some are atcually very good at making their own builds to play with. But with over 12 years of MMORPG experience, this comes very easy for me.

yea… great..

in Guardian

Christos de Soufre.3802

Lol. I like the honesty.

:P I don’t often take full Melandru + Lemongrass into consideration because it’s so extreme. I know it’s popular with people in the current condition-heavy meta though.

in Guardian

Posted by: Tarsius.3170

Tarsius.3170

:P I don’t often take full Melandru + Lemongrass into consideration because it’s so extreme. I know it’s popular with people in the current condition-heavy meta though.

Attachments:

Warhaft Tarsius – Asura Guardian ( Desolation ) – [NUKE]
Guardian FAQ · BUGS · HEALING

in Guardian

foofad.5162

Is making memes out of other guardians, like, a thing now?

in Guardian

Tarsius.3170

sorry, it’s what happens when I haven’t been able to play the game for days

in Guardian

Christos de Soufre.3802

lolled anyway.

/15

in Guardian

Posted by: Jax.5261

Jax.5261

Wait, wait, wait.
WAIT
So in WvW you don’t need condition removal because two food items will reduce it to nothing!?
Is that a thing?

in Guardian

Tarsius.3170

Is that a thing?

6x Superior Rune of Melandru and a Bowl of Lemongras Poultry Soup gives you a tidy -65% condition duration and -25% stun duration. Envious?

(edited by Tarsius.3170)

in Guardian

Posted by: Coroner.3168

Coroner.3168

Pic or it didn’t happen.

No seriously though. I’ve been messing around in the build calculators and I almost get those numbers, but they make up a ridiculously inefficient build.

Care to share?

Andal Myth Of East – Guardian
Northern Shiverpeaks [NA]
Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS]

in Guardian

foofad.5162

Wait, wait, wait.
WAIT
So in WvW you don’t need condition removal because two food items will reduce it to nothing!?
Is that a thing?

The important thing to note is that it does NOT reduce it to nothing. It’s additive with condition duration. So a guy with +65% Duration versus a guy with -65% Duration will do 100% Duration conditions. It doesn’t make conditions useless or condition cleansing pointless. It does help though.

in Guardian

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

Boon Duration cleric geared guardian probably. He probably had protection up when you hit him, which more than likely made your damage insignificant.

in Guardian

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Wait, wait, wait.
WAIT
Is that a thing?

The important thing to note is that it does NOT reduce it to nothing. It’s additive with condition duration. So a guy with +65% Duration versus a guy with -65% Duration will do 100% Duration conditions. It doesn’t make conditions useless or condition cleansing pointless. It does help though.

Yeah, it’s mostly only useful to even the playing field. I guess imagine if you didn’t have it. Necros are the worst, and considering fear is affected by both ways it’s really helpful.

The reason it kind of sucks is that if you don’t have + duration enough to reach the 1 second mark it does make you immune to some things. If you put a 2 second burn on them and they have mel+lg then it reduces it to under the 1 second mark.

It’s to the point of either take the increased condi duration food, or don’t even bother with conditions. Warriors are really strong with it because they have access to dogged march.