Greatsword Vs Hammer Medi

in Guardian

Posted by: Roeore.6274

Roeore.6274

Hi Guys
Recently I’ve been trialling Medi guard in pvp but have been unable to decide between these two weapons paired with Sceptre/Focus.
I have been using 0/1/6/1/6 trait spread and find greatsword is invaluable in team fights but hammer is better for smaller skirmishes.
I know that hammer is used more in esl matches but the was interested what other guardian players experiences were.
Thanks for your responses

Roeore

in Guardian

Posted by: FinalPatriot.8034

FinalPatriot.8034

To be honest, I couldn’t live w/o the greatsword. Even in 1v1 duels, the damage it can produce is just amazing. That, and I’ve always thought the hammer was too slow and predictable.

If anything, the gap closer of the GS makes it worth it to me.

Laura Seranus – Mesmer –
“Shatter Me!”
“I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.”

in Guardian

Posted by: MidoriMarch.8067

MidoriMarch.8067

Hi Guys
Recently I’ve been trialling Medi guard in pvp but have been unable to decide between these two weapons paired with Sceptre/Focus.
I have been using 0/1/6/1/6 trait spread and find greatsword is invaluable in team fights but hammer is better for smaller skirmishes.
I know that hammer is used more in esl matches but the was interested what other guardian players experiences were.
Thanks for your responses

Roeore

Why not use both?

Check out the build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQJARSlsApcoVDxbI8DRRDRljNYvBZQXe9BkABAA-TlDFABMcIAQ4IAI3+DTqGAAXAgCVpRgHAASK3eUFhkUSYoqAppLIDNM8pEMAACgje0ghezhezjO0yAovAA-w

in Guardian

Posted by: AGGabriel.9230

AGGabriel.9230

I’m with the hammer because you need to ring trap and immobilize the vs class they know if they have a big gap the guard cant catch up for close combat even if the hammer is godlike SLOW and i pray for a rework of those skills
Example :
the ranger classical they go LB and want to keep a distance ,
the ele that run from side to side wiling to heal and dd ,
thief runs and hide at 30% (you can be kittent because its true thief XD )

in Guardian

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

I run Hammer with Rage/Intelligence Sigils so I can actually hit people with it. GS offers no CC, so nobody decent will get hit by it, unless you pair it with other CC like Hammer or Scepter. Hammer/GS is a fine build, but I prefer Sword because it a bit more useful for chasing people and spamming 1 in their back, plus Focus is awesome.

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Hammer has better control and the burst is more reliable. However, the sustain damage from it can be lacking, since most of the skills are situational and the auto attack is somewhat slow.

GS will give you more mobility and damage (sustain and burst). However, GS is fairly predictable to avoid and you can take a lot of damage from retaliation.

Both are decent and you can’t go wrong with either. Personally I prefer hammer.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

(edited by Harbinger.8637)

in Guardian

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

I have a tough time not taking greatsword simply because I love Binding Blades and how it deals with thieves so well. Ring of Warding is a really nice skill too, so greatsword/hammer is always a fun build. Using Ring of Warding > Judge’s Intervention is a great way to start any encounter.

But I still usually run sw/f and greatsword.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

To be honest, I couldn’t live w/o the greatsword. Even in 1v1 duels, the damage it can produce is just amazing. That, and I’ve always thought the hammer was too slow and predictable.

If anything, the gap closer of the GS makes it worth it to me.

This ^.

I have been saying since launch that I would gladly let them take one pulse off of symbol of protection if they would just speed up the hammer auto attack.

In PvP it’s often so slow that a good player can get out of range before it completes it’s swing.

in Guardian

Posted by: Domzz.1260

Domzz.1260

Hey guys, I’ve mained Guardian since launch and play guard for our tPvP team —

I think both are equally valuable and it really depends on what you are looking to accomplish.

The GS will give you more mobility and burst overall, meaning it’s better if you’re trying to fill a roaming role.
The hammer gives you way more control and even defense with the 3rd strike of the AA chain granting a protection field — I love to use hammer when I’m holding points with another teammate. Banish… immobilize.. and the ring of warding are so amazing. You can also surprise people with Judge’s Intervention —> Banish.. JI —> Ring of Warding.. or JI —> Hammer bash or whatever the 2 skill is called. Dish out some amazing surprise burst or crazy CC.

Also, banish can help you bash away downed enemies from their teammates!

It’s pretty cool I think people should open their mind a little more to the hammer it’s a lot more viable than most people seem to think!

That being said GS is also an amazing weapon, so really depends on your playstyle and what you’re trying to accomplish!

in Guardian

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

Hammer is only good againts bad people

those that have a brain will just dodge/Run/teleport away from the SUUUUUUUPER SLOW hammer. seriously sometimes you loose like 30% of your HP befor the animations finish lol.

the hammer have COOL abilities but its tooooooo slow to be realy viable in PvP

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

in Guardian

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

Hammer is only good againts bad people

those that have a brain will just dodge/Run/teleport away from the SUUUUUUUPER SLOW hammer. seriously sometimes you loose like 30% of your HP befor the animations finish lol.

the hammer have COOL abilities but its tooooooo slow to be realy viable in PvP

Yup. Sigil of Rage can help a bit, but it’s really here to pokeball people, Mighty Blow and then swap out to a real weapon.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aggrostemma.1703

Aggrostemma.1703

Do not forget that the second the fight gets to 2v2 the hammer becomes a really good weapon… If a focused target wastes dodge and you are able to land ANY of your 2-to-5 skills it’s a win.

#I no words have"

in Guardian

Posted by: rainpool.7189

rainpool.7189

I highly disagree that hammer is slow and never lands any attacks. The Hammer-GS combo is actually IMO the deadliest out of the other meditation combos. You use hammer 5 first, and during the animation use judge’s intervention. Then follow up with hammer 2, 3 4 if you like, and you swap to GS and use 2 3 4 5 to your heart’s content.
Here’s two videos of Hollts using his Gs hammer medi build:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=jt2pKjnydwA
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Pxo29Mre3Dw

Kappa

in Guardian

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

LOL 2 videos killing braindead people that barely even try to get away from burst.

allot of them don’t even dodge….

good players Kite the living hell out of guards especialy if the guard have a hammer not stand in 1 place and taking FULL BURST and barely doing anything againts it.

good player Dodge sprint teleport spam 24/7 while always trying to run behind something to heal back and this goes on till they don’t wear the guardian down.

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2