Guardian Discussion.

Guardian Discussion.

in Guardian

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

After running some dungeons on explorer mode with a mace/shield, I’m strongly considering on swapping it to Sword/Focus with a secondary set as a GS.

The reason for that is if I add the right traits on top of it, I can keep my enemies blinded and vulnerables. And the focus 3 blocks seems to work far more than a shield.

What do you think?

On status wise I’m going to power/vitality as it gives me a lot of HP.
How are you building your guardian?

Guardian Discussion.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ojimaru.8970

Ojimaru.8970

Blind Exposure is… terrible at the moment. As of now it applies 1 stack of Vulnerability (i.e. 1% increased damage) for 3 s base.

So consider the “best” case scenario > http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fUAQJAsNmIyeAAAAArCAs6BAqHAA;TgAqvMFJKy+l7L5XjEmJA

You’ll get roughly 1 stack of Vulnerability for roughly 5 seconds, for a whopping 3 stacks of Vulnerability (i.e. 3% increased damage) with Justice is Blind, Flashing Blade and Ray of Judgement.

In contrast a Necromancer with Axe/Focus can chalk up 15 stacks of Vulnerability without all the above necessity of Traits, equipment, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, Guardian Sword/Focus is still one of my favourite builds, but to assume any usefulness from Blind Exposure is folly.

Guardian Discussion.

in Guardian

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

I was using Sword/Torch, recently made the switch to Sword/Focus. I like Focus a lot, but I do miss Torch for the look, Focus looks so weird..

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Guardian Discussion.

in Guardian

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

As a Guardian I like to build a character that gives awesome defensive support while still doing what you enjoy, smashing monsters.

So my suggestion is to get a weapon set you really like. Don’t bother with which is better, because all of them have their strengths, though there are some better combinations.

1. Greatsword or Hammer + Staff
Traits: 30/0/0/30/0, 10 points left wherever you want
You’ll be picking -20% recharge on 2Handers, and Symbols are Larger + Symbols Heal allies. All these three weapons focus alot on Symbols (Hammer 3rd auto attack, GSword’s 2, Staff 3) and they’ll be larger, they’ll heal and they’ll do better damage, along with whatever effects they already did before.
I’d pick a Staff with +Healing so when you switch to it, it’s because you’re needing healing badly, if not just keep with the Damage weapon, or just go Greatsword/Hammer (great combos!) if you don’t want to heal.

2. Sword & Shield/Torch + Scepter/Mace & Shield/Torch/Focus
Traits: 0/30/0/0/20/0, 20 points left wherever you want
You’ll be picking -20% recharge on Signets (for the Heal), -20% on Torch, +5% Sword or whatever you want as 2nd, and +15% criticals with 1 handers.
For the other you’ll be picking Symbols are Larger if you go Mace, or anything else, and the Grants Might to the Party whenever you crit.
You’ll be a critting machine with the proper gear, and everyone will have huge amounts of Might (including yourself). The sword is the best weapon to achieve this, since it’s regular attack deals 5 hits, the 2nd weapon is Mace for a defensive/heal alternative or Scepter if you want to go ranged (Smite also hits alot, great for crits if you hit it right).

Hmm there are more I tried, but they involve skills that I’ll talk about now.

Regarding the left over points, or your Utility Skills, I tried some variations…

Picking traits suck as -20% recharge (Zeal 1), Spirit Weapons aren’t destroyed when Commanded (Zeal 2), Spirit Weapons cause Burning (Radiance 2), Spirit Weapons last 50% longer (Virtue 1)
The idea is… abusing Spirit Weapons. The Sword is useful for AoE damage when commanded if you lack that, and Shield is good to make monster cause Glancing Blows (you’ll even survive those big juggernauts attacks if you get hit), and the Bow’s healing is awesome.
The Last 50% longer is really useful since you can use the Bow’s Healing 2 times before it disappear, and the Shield’s attack 3 times. Not to mention a 45 second Sword.
Though what increases MOST the damage of the Sword is the Burning Condition. Compared to the +10% increased damage from Zeal 3, say… it’s damage will go from 600 a hit to 660~. With Burning, it’ll cause 600 + 500~ from your Condition Damage if it’s high, on EACH hit.

Another good combination is Valor 2, Virtues 1 possibly Zeal 2.
Virtues in my opinion is one of the best traits to get at 10, though it doesn’t increase any of the base stats so it’s really hard to pick. But the -20% recharge and + 20% increase on Consecrations is simply awesome.
Consecrations are probably the most useful skills I think the Guardian has, Purging Flames cause AoE burning AND Fire Field, which you can use to combo if you’re using Hammer or Greatsword (Area Might x3, Fire Shield, Burning Bolts), and also cures conditions! 32 CD with a 6~7 sec duration is awesome.
The other one is Wall of Reflection, a 12 sec wall on a 32 CD (meaning you’ll only be 20 unprotected). Against hard hitting ranged, this is awesome. See champions throwing some spells or huge arrows and reflecting them back for 1000~2000+ damage is awesome.
Sanctuary is not that good, though the idea is great, the skill doesn’t work properly because monsters doesn’t need to enter the area to attack you, since it’s SOOOO small…
And Valor 2 is for the -20% Shield Recharge skills, you’ll have a 5~6 sec protection every 24 seconds, and a 32 sec pushback and projectile absorption + AoE heal. Great for protecting low teammates and just reducing overall damage (just be sure to AIM your Shield Attack to hit the party!).
With these two, you’ll have an easy time with ranged attacks (even more if you use Swords), and if done well you’ll protect your teammates saving possible Down’s or Deaths (and even more using Maces for the Protector’s Strike).
Another advantage of Valor 1 is -20% on Meditation skills, probably filling your last slot with Smite Condition (cures a condition + AoE damage, if you’re lacking AoE) or Judge’s Intervention (for breaking stuns and getting close to enemies).
If you also pick Zeal 2, you can get -20% on Focus skills to use with Focus’ 5 (block 3 attacks) and an extra blind. If you don’t pick the -20% on Signets, use Shelter for massive “tankness” and protection!

Unfortunately you can’t have them all, and I found these the best among all the ones I’ve tried.

(edited by Danicco.3568)

Guardian Discussion.

in Guardian

Posted by: Bobobejumbo.4951

Bobobejumbo.4951

I have found that a specific “build” works rather well in SPvP.

In PvE, and WvW, it does not. I seriously have every single weapon option in my bag, and use every single one of them depending on the situation as a Guardian.

Soloing normal stuff? GS + Mace/Focus.

Trying to get from point A to point B? GS + Staff.

Dynamic Event boss? Staff + Mace/Focus

Jumping puzzles in the dark? Torch

AoE mob swarm event? GS + Sword/Torch

AoE mob swarm defend this NPC event? Hammer + Mace/Shield

There are plenty of other scenarios, especially in dungeons and WvW that call for different choices. Utility/Healing/Elite skills as well. Everything changes. Learning to adapt, and dodging, are the keys to success in this game.

Guardian Discussion.

in Guardian

Posted by: SuperLuigi.3720

SuperLuigi.3720

I have found that a specific “build” works rather well in SPvP.

In PvE, and WvW, it does not. I seriously have every single weapon option in my bag, and use every single one of them depending on the situation as a Guardian.

Soloing normal stuff? GS + Mace/Focus.

Trying to get from point A to point B? GS + Staff.

Dynamic Event boss? Staff + Mace/Focus

Jumping puzzles in the dark? Torch

AoE mob swarm event? GS + Sword/Torch

AoE mob swarm defend this NPC event? Hammer + Mace/Shield

There are plenty of other scenarios, especially in dungeons and WvW that call for different choices. Utility/Healing/Elite skills as well. Everything changes. Learning to adapt, and dodging, are the keys to success in this game.

I’m the same way. I’m specced generally for defense and survival, as I tend to be the only one in the group with strong support and crowd control, and I almost always keep a shield in one of my sets for the +90 Toughness trait, but I carry around all the weapons I can use, and I freely switch between utility skills when one proves useless.

When a Guardian sets their weapons and skills up properly for a fight, the difference is extremely noticeable. Case in point: Kudu’s golems in Sorrow’s Embrace. That fire golem was wrecking the people I was playing with, because two people in the group didn’t move around, they just died, and that forced the rest of us to use up our endurance before the AoE-dropping whirl. The solution? Shield of the Avenger, Wall of Reflection, the condition-removing field, and a shield for the projectile bubble. Slap on a scepter so I didn’t have to run in, and we were golden right through the fire golem and the poison golem afterwards, because they relied on their projectiles so heavily.

Guardians—at least support Guardians—are the role-swappers of PvE. You bring what your team needs to handle each fight. If you run into a new boss and get wtfpwnt, you consider what hit you and swap skills and weapons to deal with it.

Guardian Discussion.

in Guardian

Posted by: gabo.6721

gabo.6721

GS + Scepter/Focus
All power stuff (power + precision). Heavy hitter. GS for melee, Scepter Focus for ranged.

Currently 20/20/1/0/0 but going for 30/30/10/0/0 Pure offense type.

I was really enjoying justice is blind, i didn’t know vulnerability was a measly 1%.

My strategy is to keep enemies burning forever while smacking them around either melee or ranged kite.

Is there any better way to become Mr. Mc Hits Things To Death Really Hard? I thought this would be optimal.

Hoping to trait fiery wrath, greatsword power, zealous blade, blind exposure, inscribed removal, searing blade, retributive armor. Damage, crit, heal signet, fire utilities.

Anybody thinks there is a harder hitting build?

Gabo Silvershine
Isle of Janthir
Learn my name, or do not. The world will know it soon enough.

Guardian Discussion.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aphasia.1803

Aphasia.1803

GS + Scepter/Focus
All power stuff (power + precision). Heavy hitter. GS for melee, Scepter Focus for ranged.

Haha, i’m going in the same direction too. Thought about making up the toughness and vit through equipment.

Guardian Discussion.

in Guardian

gabo.6721

GS + Scepter/Focus

Haha, i’m going in the same direction too. Thought about making up the toughness and vit through equipment.

Glad to know i’m not stabbing myself in the foot with this trait build. haha. but still, i used to think vulnerability on blind was cool, i guess 1% is still better than 0%.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vulnerability
Can anyone recommend something for radiance trait line if not vulnerability on blind?

Also, i’m open to recommendations if they have any harder hitting builds they would like to recommend. Virtues trait line has some interesting stuff like “power of the virtuous”, but of course it has to be worth giving up precision and condition damage which both work well with my constant hitting and burning.

Gabo Silvershine
Isle of Janthir

Guardian Discussion.

in Guardian

Posted by: Rock.7324

Rock.7324

Does anyone know if the trait that removes conditions on a 10 second stacks with Signet of Resolve (passive: removes condition on a 10 sec CD)?

Basically, will I lose 2 conditions or only 1?

* ’Ko leži ne beži! *
Rockbaby – Asura Guardian, Desolation EU :)
Rockavenger – Dwarf Paladin, Bronzebeard EU :D

Guardian Discussion.

in Guardian

gabo.6721

Does anyone know if the trait that removes conditions on a 10 second stacks with Signet of Resolve (passive: removes condition on a 10 sec CD)?

I hear it stacks. no reason not to think that it does. In one of the builds i’ve read, it even couples that with using a signet removes a condition… so all in all, 2 conditions removed every 10 sec + 1 on command.

Gabo Silvershine
Isle of Janthir

Guardian Discussion.

in Guardian

Rock.7324

I hear it stacks. no reason not to think that it does. In one of the builds i’ve read, it even couples that with using a signet removes a condition… so all in all, 2 conditions removed every 10 sec + 1 on command.

Lovely. Tried that out yday in some SPvP but I couldn’t figure out if it stacks or not. A bit hectic out there

* ’Ko leži ne beži! *

Guardian Discussion.

in Guardian

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

Lovely. Tried that out yday in some SPvP but I couldn’t figure out if it stacks or not. A bit hectic out there

Yes, but a note about these traits/skills: They aren’t ALWAYS removing a condition every 10 seconds, their effect starts only when you engage in combat.

This means that, at a combat start, if you get a condition you’ll stay with it at least 10 seconds. For short duration combat (like PvE, regular mobs) I don’t think it’s worth it.
For longer combat durations, if you’re lucky you can get a condition to be removed 1~2 seconds right after they’re applied so it could be useful… or not.

Guardian Discussion.

in Guardian

Rock.7324

Yes, but a note about these traits/skills: They aren’t ALWAYS removing a condition every 10 seconds, their effect starts only when you engage in combat.

This means that, at a combat start, if you get a condition you’ll stay with it at least 10 seconds. For short duration combat (like PvE, regular mobs) I don’t think it’s worth it.
For longer combat durations, if you’re lucky you can get a condition to be removed 1~2 seconds right after they’re applied so it could be useful… or not.

Didn’t know that, thank you for the explanation

* ’Ko leži ne beži! *

Guardian Discussion.

in Guardian

Posted by: Thalzion.1378

Thalzion.1378

When I roll a new guardian, the skills are too much magic -like instead of swinging the weapons. So I go back to my warrior.