Guardian IMO

Guardian IMO

in Guardian

Posted by: pure.4329

pure.4329

Hi!

I’m here to expose my point of view about the guard cause that’s my main character since day 1. Why? Because what i’m looking on the forum doesn’t reflect my feeling at all and i´m probably not alone! (Hope so !)

First, what’s the Guardian IMO? It is a warrior of light NOT only a defender, support, … He can defend and support but that’s not his only way to be.
The Big change between a Warrior and a Guardian is not like the tank/healer guard and the DPS/berserker war. The guardian is warrior who can use some light magic and It doesn’t mean only heal/tank but also might (soon fury) and BURN !!!

Now that i explain what is the guardian to me, i’ll share my vision of what is awsome/bad with the guard.
The weapon, many of them are fun to play and powerful like GS, sword, focus
Some are not bad like the staff, the scepter.
Some need a little change to be really fun to play like the hammer and his #1 attack who’s WAY to slow and the torch whitch have the #4 OP and the #5 pretty bad i mean slow and not really powerful.
The mace and the Shield need a serious rework because they’re only not bad to play as a healer and even here they’re not shining.

The trait seems really good with the next trait update

Now the first spec dragonhunter. I don’t care about the name, it’s just a name even if it’s a bad name that makes me laugh.

The longbow looks pretty cool even if i don’t care about the “we need a better ranged weapon”, my hope was a axe so…
I didn’t really look at the trait because i’m already happy with the new guardian trait specially with the fury.
The traps, maybe they’re cool but i’ll probably never use them because they’re trap. IMO this is a bad choice and really doesn’t fit with the guardian. They’re beautiful btw.
To continue with utility skill, there are too many useless like the kitten spirit weapon and some signet.
The elite skill update will be awsome too.

Now some things that need change:

First, aegis effect on character need an option to remove It.
Second, not sure but the throwing animation of the spear F1 in the video wasn’t good.
The weapon, like i wrote before hammer, torch, mace and the Shield need a rework.
The spirit weapon can be removed or replace i never saw them used.

To conclude i would say that not everyone can enjoy the same thing, for the dragonhunter some will enjoy it and i’m happy for them.
I’ll just have to wait for my super-awsome berserker of light with an axe, dynamic hammer and working shield

Please tell me if you’re like me, and you haven’t the feeling of playing the same class when you’re reading the forum

Note: i totaly don’t understand the Mobility problem of the Guardian while i’m playing with swiftness nearly 100% of the time . Remember that this is my point of view

Guardian IMO

in Guardian

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

It doesn’t mean only heal/tank but also might (soon fury) and BURN !!!

What are you talking about heal/tank. It’s protect the team, healer and tanker are average to useless in this game.

For the might/fury. Guardian can do some, but he’s just bad at it compare to other profession. He can do a decent job at self buff (especially fury), but that’s it.

The mace and the Shield need a serious rework because they’re only not bad to play as a healer and even here they’re not shining.

I agree with the Shield, but mace? It’s an amazing weapon. It’s not meta now because GS + M/F is 1-3% less dps than GS + S/F, but with the new trait setup it’s Mace will replace sword.

Note: i totaly don’t understand the Mobility problem of the Guardian while i’m playing with swiftness nearly 100% of the time . Remember that this is my point of view

Yes you can reach 100% swiftness uptime. But you need to sacrifice too much for that. The problem is especially big in PvP/Roaming where Medi Guardian is the slowest thing alive. A bad thing if you are a Melee killer.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Guardian IMO

in Guardian

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

I see guard as a magic swordsman and that’s what I’m playing him as. When LB comes out, I’m dropping scepter and going to get cozy with my WW trap + ranged ward + JI + WW so I can spin while you’re getting spun on. Hell, speccing into spirit weapons for the lols and having 5 spirit swords out to deal 5k DPS without touching you (inc turret guard). Use the elite trap in tandem with hammer and bow for perhaps the deadliest lockdown ever (approx 15 seconds of warding) with dulled senses stacking nearly 30s+ of cripple easy. Having a friendly reaper on your team and you drop your vuln trap and watch him hit 10ks. I love guard as it is now and I’m going to flip my kitten when it comes out with all the ridiculous combos.

Guardian IMO

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

I see guard as a magic swordsman and that’s what I’m playing him as. When LB comes out, I’m dropping scepter and going to get cozy with my WW trap + ranged ward + JI + WW so I can spin while you’re getting spun on. Hell, speccing into spirit weapons for the lols and having 5 spirit swords out to deal 5k DPS without touching you (inc turret guard). Use the elite trap in tandem with hammer and bow for perhaps the deadliest lockdown ever (approx 15 seconds of warding) with dulled senses stacking nearly 30s+ of cripple easy. Having a friendly reaper on your team and you drop your vuln trap and watch him hit 10ks. I love guard as it is now and I’m going to flip my kitten when it comes out with all the ridiculous combos.

Spirit weapons are meh to alright for hot join but in any organized play they are just not worth it.

Other builds provide just as much burst if not more & taking the spirit weapons means you lose out on other things like condition cleanses, stability etc…

There is also the fact they die so frekin easy that they are almost never up their for duration.

They would be allot better if they got +100% health from a trait like ranger spirits or even +50% like necro pets, sadly they don’t.

Heck a decent number of guardians wish they would just redesign them to be more akin to banners or revert them to how they were early on (less damage but same utility + immune to damage)

Guardian IMO

in Guardian

pure.4329

It doesn’t mean only heal/tank but also might (soon fury) and BURN !!!

What are you talking about heal/tank. It’s protect the team, healer and tanker are average to useless in this game.

For the might/fury. Guardian can do some, but he’s just bad at it compare to other profession. He can do a decent job at self buff (especially fury), but that’s it.

I agree with the Shield, but mace? It’s an amazing weapon. It’s not meta now because GS + M/F is 1-3% less dps than GS + S/F, but with the new trait setup it’s Mace will replace sword.

Yes you can reach 100% swiftness uptime. But you need to sacrifice too much for that. The problem is especially big in PvP/Roaming where Medi Guardian is the slowest thing alive. A bad thing if you are a Melee killer.

I do not agree i just test again the mace, it’s way too slow.

the #1 “faithful strike” you have a 1 second attack for few heal

the #2 this symbol have 1sec 1/4 of cast, so for the pvp mcm they have to take all the hit of the symbol to approach the damage of the sword, i mean, i like the symbol in general but this one and the hammer one are in slow motion or what ? why the GS symbol is 1/4sec and mace/hammer is 1sec+1/4sec that’s boring!!

the #3 this is the only counter of the guard and it is a failed counter, look at the other’s counter of the war/ranger or the mesmer. With a war/ranger, you can run blocking everything from the ranged and a nice counter when you’re in melee, with a mesmer you block only once BUT it is a range counter so that makes sense.

Hammer and mace have the same slow boring problem. This, is why they’re not in the meta. (even if the hammer is in the meta atm for the #2 that is really powerful)

Accelerate those weapon would make them played.

BTW, "What are you talking about heal/tank. It’s protect the team, healer and tanker are average to useless in this game. "

When a guard don’t play as a mediguard in pvp he’s a bunker, and the bunker are tanker/healer to keep a position/rez allies and i use sometimes a clerical stuff in PVE and it’s really an extremely powerful heal that I wouldn’t qualify as useless. But i get your point that everything except damage is pretty useless

“Yes you can reach 100% swiftness uptime. But you need to sacrifice too much for that. The problem is especially big in PvP/Roaming where Medi Guardian is the slowest thing alive. A bad thing if you are a Melee killer.”

I love “retreat” even if i’m alone to like it and i’m playing with it like 85% of the time and it’s awesome for the trait “+20% damage when you’re under aegis”

Guardian IMO

in Guardian

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I do not agree i just test again the mace, it’s way too slow.

the #1 “faithful strike” you have a 1 second attack for few heal

the #2 this symbol have 1sec 1/4 of cast, so for the pvp mcm they have to take all the hit of the symbol to approach the damage of the sword, i mean, i like the symbol in general but this one and the hammer one are in slow motion or what ? why the GS symbol is 1/4sec and mace/hammer is 1sec+1/4sec that’s boring!!

the #3 this is the only counter of the guard and it is a failed counter, look at the other’s counter of the war/ranger or the mesmer. With a war/ranger, you can run blocking everything from the ranged and a nice counter when you’re in melee, with a mesmer you block only once BUT it is a range counter so that makes sense.

Each weapon should have a place in some mode, not be good in all modes. Mace isn’t good for WvW or in a Medi build, but it’s good in PvE or as a Bunker in sPvP. With the new trait it will be the best choice in PvE and still decent with a bunker. Mace doesn’t need an increase attack speed. If sPvP was the only game mode, then yes I would agree, but that’s not the case.

But i get your point that everything except damage is pretty useless

No my point is that the strength of the guardian is his active defense, not his tanking/healing capability.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Guardian IMO

in Guardian

Posted by: MrWubzy.3587

MrWubzy.3587

I agree with Thaddeus. My guardian’s strength is active defense (blinds, Aegis, Protection, Reflects, etc.). While my DPS is slightly lower than other classes, I can still dish out just as much as I can take. I think you may just be looking at the class wrong, and a re-thinking of its mechanics would be in order.

| Biyx [Guardian] ; Aika Vonelli [Ranger] |
| Proud roleplayer! |
| Biyx’s All-For-Nothing Challenge |

Guardian IMO

in Guardian

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

The only change the mace needs is to separate the protection on the #3 and make it a sequence skill that you can activate immediately.

Guardian IMO

in Guardian

pure.4329

You don’t understand what i want to say, probably because of my english.
Well, i don’t care about active defense heal damage things because i think it was a communication problem…

MrWubzy, i played guardian a lot, i mean more than a thousand of hours and i found some things that disturbed me like weapon that i find more or less useless.

To resume,

-What’s your opinion about the mace, the shield, the hammer?
-Am i the only one who find these weapon boring?

Guardian IMO

in Guardian

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

To resume,

-What’s your opinion about the mace, the shield, the hammer?
-Am i the only one who find these weapon boring?

Mace and hammer #1 third skill too slow
Shield garbage

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

Guardian IMO

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

In my opinion, they could add heal throught all #1 chain of mace, but heal very little with a good healing scaling, say 50 without heal power and ~500 (or even more) with heal power – just remember that ele can heal 1k on AA as water staff. In this way, wouldn’t be OP on DPS builds, but might finally make healing support viable as guardian.

Also, reduce the cast time of the last chain of #1 and #2 and make the last hit of #1 cleaves. Can rebalance the damage for compensate. This is what keep me away from mace.

Sorry for my english.

Guardian IMO

in Guardian

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

I don’t know man. I like shield and mace together. They seem to be made for each other. Do we have stronger weapons? For sure. Can these two weapons take a good tweaking? Hell yes, but I wouldn’t discount them entirely.