Guardian PTV

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Brando.3891

Brando.3891

What do you think about a guardian full PTV?

Brando [SC] Snow Crows

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Terrible in basically every game mode?

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Tithian.4915

Tithian.4915

It works in WvW, but I highly suggest you pick runes/jewels that add some offensive stats, unless you’re specifically gong towards a bunker build.

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Brando.3891

when i play it think to be a really good support for the party. But i read a lot of different opinion and i want to know if i feel wrong about the PTV or some player just don’t know how to play it

Brando [SC] Snow Crows

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

as has been said numerous times before, a full berserker DPS specced guardian does all the support that your pvt guardian does. AH only heals yourself.

(This is PVE, but an AH PVT guardian isn’t helping much other than himself in WvW.)

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Hratgard.8310

Hratgard.8310

Since when pvt gear is terrible like you say when it come to massive pvp like WvW ?

I do agree for PvE that a more offensive gear is better but only because the majority of ppl wants to faceroll an instance in no time . Minimize the time spend in there to be specific .

I can’t even imagine participating in a siege without at least some pvt gear .

Could you enlighten me perhaps ?

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

colesy.8490

The OP asked about full PTV, not PTV in general.

I don’t know why anyone besides a commander would run full soldier gear.

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

Vigorous Precision gives you Vigor on crit, and it’s a cheap 5 points trait; you’ll properly have it anyway for shorter cooldown for Shouts, heal on dodge or even Pure of Voice.
Imo being able to dodge every ~5 seconds instead of every ~10 seconds adds more to your survivability than the Vitality and Toughness from Soldier, at least in PvE; if you want a defensive set use Knight, best would be a Power/Precision/Vitality set if it existed.

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Rigel.3092

Rigel.3092

Do you actually have a clue what you are saying? PTV (with a couple mixed in pieces of knights gear/accessories) in WvW is a near most for most frontline guardians, but yeah……

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Hratgard.8310

Hratgard.8310

The OP asked about full PTV, not PTV in general.

I don’t know why anyone besides a commander would run full soldier gear.

I ll tell you why if you allow me . Depends on what you do . If for example you play wvw guildless like myself and you find yourself in dire circumstances (spam AC on you , large scale battles , trying to win a fight through attrition or just because you want to be the last man standing then PVT gear is your friend . Moreover from what i have expirienced so far since i got back , current meta is all about conditions kitten loads of them with siege machines on top of it . And yes you can still do some reasonable dmg to enemies with power being your primary stat and also stand still .

Don’t get me wrong but my expirience so far from large scale WvW shows that even full PVT gear is viable on WvW . Besides i do like to stand next to my pug commander and give them hell

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

colesy.8490

Do you actually have a clue what you are saying? PTV (with a couple mixed in pieces of knights gear/accessories) in WvW is a near most for most frontline guardians, but yeah……

THE OP ASKED ABOUT FULL PTV.

Can you guys even read or do you just see red the moment someone makes a criticism?

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Brando.3891

i’m using my full ptv gear to tank, when i play i try to focus the enemis attack on me and protect the party with aegis, regen, and removing condition as well as buff might for the most.
I play pretty much only PvE, i’ve tryed also a full knight gear and the dps is ridiculus and the survivability worst. I want to clarify that i not use a full ptv guardian in every group (i have also a full zerk war) but i use him when i see a party with high dmg and a tank with high support and a decent healing can be really usefull.

P.S. i play dungeon and fractal for the most

Brando [SC] Snow Crows

(edited by Brando.3891)

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: tattoohead.3217

tattoohead.3217

I play pvt in WvW, not full any more ( now I have ascended accessories and weapons, zerker stats) but when I first geared out I was full pvt and it worked just fine.

My damage was still ok because I had enough power/might but I was also tough as nails. 1vX was no problem and I was able to withstand the melee pain train in zergs. I actually lol at full zerker melee in wvw (pvp in general really) all you have to do is make one mistake and your dead.

Long story short, for pvp/wvw pvt is way viable even preferred. In pve it’s great for large events like The Sunless and other dragon fights but you will get more use from a full dps set in dungeons.

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: AgentChaos.4932

AgentChaos.4932

full celestial is the way man

Roleplayer.

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: ArtemisEntreri.4138

ArtemisEntreri.4138

Our commander on BG runs a full Sentinel set since he drives the blob. You can run PTV but don’t expect to bring great damage. With a low crit chance and low crit damage you will have sustain damage but no spike damage to catch players off guard. If all you care about is living in the zerg then, yes, get PTV or Sentinel.

Guardian / Warrior / Thief / Necromancer
Black Gate – Immortals of the Mist [IoM]

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Zerker for Tequatl right?

JQ Druid

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

At least a cleric heals me. PVT contributes nothing.

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Ebony.5738

Ebony.5738

If you want to use PVT you can, just because it’s not zerker doesn’t mean you can’t pull mean stats with it!
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-7;4NFk40J3NG-90;9;54TT4;434A17A;14;9;2o-FW0;6jVp0t1yY3_95330C-2i;9;9;9;9;3kkkkkk;9;15-6j

Verdánt

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

THE OP ASKED ABOUT FULL PTV.

Can you guys even read or do you just see red the moment someone makes a criticism?

Oh kitten! Caps!

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

You can try out full pvt in the mists. It works fine for pvp.

Usually most blokes go pvt armor emerald jewellery or something like that.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Please. No.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

I love people screaming no. I wonder how many actually have gone and tested it in the Mists.

I would not think it was preferrable for pve dungeons though.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

^^ I suspect very few people have experienced most gear for themselves. Most people are satisfied with having others tell them what to do and what they need to know. Then they just perpetuate the cycle of doing the same to everyone else and hope it catches on thinking a majority rules creates truth.

As for PVT, in WvW is definitely useful. PVE, it depends but less useful, especially if you can handle yourself in Zerkers.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

swiftpaw.6397

I love people screaming no. I wonder how many actually have gone and tested it in the Mists.

I would not think it was preferrable for pve dungeons though.

No.

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Oxxy.7068

Oxxy.7068

I only use my PVT stuff in two situations – DPSing teq (while not defending turrets), running with the zerg in WvW, for everything else there is probably a better piece of gear that you could’ve been using. But by all means, if you run WvW with a large guild and do teq often, do get a PVT set, just make sure you have aditional sets to do other stuff.

Luminifera ~ Guardian – Trisha Blackhands ~ Thief – Hua Yue ~ Elementalist.

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Basically if you want to go really tanky these two are the only options.

PVT
- best resistance to burst/condi
- better damage than cleric
- low sustain

Cleric
- best sustain
- benefits allies
- less damage than PVT
- weak to burst/condi

If you are bunkering in SPvP, I think Cleric is superior. In PvE, both suck. In WvW loads of players use PVT but I think every large-scale guardian should have a good chunk of healing power (say 400-600 depending on traits).

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

So says a nub runing nubby cof runs and other nubby content only and exclusively with other nubs cause it falls flat on its face otherwise.

OP, PvT has its place, ideally you will have 2 sets of armor and some other jewelry pieces and weapons. I run different gear sets for different purposes and adjust accordingly.

If you are still a new player where gold is an issue then zerk may be the way to go for your 1st set. Once you figure out the game and no longer need to focus on that then you can make many different sets. Keep in mind you do not always need a whole full set to adjust. For example to get 55 AR you just need 1 2hander with 2 AR infusions on top of your regular 45. Likewise you can do a full WvW set-up or adjust for Teq fight where less crit and more survivability and stability are more beneficial.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

colesy.8490

Seriously, are you guys blind?

Let me quote.

full PTV?

So I’ll say it again. Excluding commanders, it’s terrible. I don’t know anyone zerging who rolls full PTV, you always complement it with pieces of knight, zerker and valkyrie so that you can balance out vitality, power, precision, toughness and some crit damage. Then if you take maintenance oil, perception sigil and have fury you can normally get yourself 50-ish % crit chance.

I’ll repeat it again.

FULL PTV is terrible besides for commanders.

Do you guys get it now? Or do I have to explain the difference between talking about a stat combination and using a full set of a gear stat combination?

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

lol, ofc you can run full PVT in wvw.

73% crit chance with fury,from burning, your team or that you get hit.
53% crit chance
18,6k health
3160 armor
2274 power

its absolutely competitve today, if you fancy the play style, and it will be even more so after the 18th when it can be used with melandru and still maintain a decent uptime on fury.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQRAsd7elUgSD3GSOEfIFRuArHB8g+DXw1DIGxGC-jUCBofDim+I0EBBK7pIasFNERjtBoKbYqXER1mzFRrWGA9FA-w

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

Love it, now PVT isn’t even good enough for WvW, unless your a commander. I see a trend.

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

53% crit chance
18,6k health
3160 armor
2274 power

its absolutely competitve today, if you fancy the play style, and it will be even more so after the 18th when it can be used with melandru and still maintain a decent uptime on fury.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQRAsd7elUgSD3GSOEfIFRuArHB8g+DXw1DIGxGC-jUCBofDim+I0EBBK7pIasFNERjtBoKbYqXER1mzFRrWGA9FA-w

fine, you win

Oceanic [LOD]

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: blasko.2418

blasko.2418

Colesy sounds like he needs a snickers bar.

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Bunmaster.9734

Bunmaster.9734

The OP does dungeons and fractals, so PVT is out of the question. If he wants to WvW, PVT is fine. Guardian support comes in the form of boons, WoR and SoTA, which can be done completely fine in zerker (while also bringing dps).

If you go clerics, trying to heal your party is like trying to use a mini hand pump on a ship with a dozen holes. Because on parties that take that much dmg, the healing you pump out won’t make a difference. The opposite applies as well, on parties that dodge/block/evade all that dmg, your healing is not needed and the dps is woeful.

My suggestion is just start with Knight’s armor with zerk trinkets and weapons. You still have great survival and bring decent dps. As a guard you have a great number of dmg mitigation, you can slowly make your transition to full zerker.

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: AgentChaos.4932

AgentChaos.4932

full zerker in WvW blob. heavy risk, but the prize..

Roleplayer.

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Stice.5204

Stice.5204

full zerker in WvW blob. heavy risk, but the prize..

What prize? I probably get more loot in zerg fights running a bunker setup than any zerker guardian would get. I can actually survive pushing with the front line and still hit hard enough to tag people for loot with one or two hits. I’m also not a rally button that enemies can punch with only 13,000 damage.

I don’t think full glass cannon is a good idea for large-scale WvW on a class whose best damage options are all short ranged. You need to be able to survive a fair amount of random AoE to profit under those conditions.

Guardian, Engineer
[SIC] Strident Iconoclast – BP

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Hunter.4783

Hunter.4783

53% crit chance
18,6k health
3160 armor
2274 power

Only 1 problem with that build: When was the last time you killed anyone with scepter outside of a burst comp?

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Brutaly.6257

53% crit chance
18,6k health
3160 armor
2274 power

Only 1 problem with that build: When was the last time you killed anyone with scepter outside of a burst comp?

I kill with scepeter in wvw all the time, in zergs it works since people cant see it coming and in small scale roaming its a perfect second melee weapon very suited for might stacking.

Just as with hammer its a l2adapt issue. Keep using it in a way that maximize its weaknesses and it will be bad.

Scepter/focus and mighty blow is one of the strongest burst setups we have.

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Hunter.4783

Hunter.4783

ya, im fine with that, xpt that you can’t really burst with a full PTV gear setup.
And you have no stability fyi

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Brutaly.6257

ya, im fine with that, xpt that you can’t really burst with a full PTV gear setup.

Ofc you can burst, if you have survivability you will have time and if you have time you can stack might and if you can stack might you can have silly amounts of power.

People should really look into the concept of might stacking in wvw builds. I can even make magi/celestial gear look good when it comes to damage.

When i might stack with a 1h setup i never ever have less than 10 stacks from swapping alone. If you pull scepter focus 5+2+3 and follow up with torch 4 and JI+sword chain we are talking well over 10k of damage here. Its a pretty neat burst for a tank. Sure its not the 17k i pull off with my valky/ber setup but its still a reliable burst to land 10k damage in 3 seconds.

Im running triple meditation all the time in wvw and stability isnt a must for me, it works and im still the last one going down.

Anyhow its offtopic, i just responded that you can use full pvt in wvw and still be very offensive and a major source of damage.

Personally i use pre/tough/pow trinkets and amulet and the the rest pvt in one of my setups which allows me to get better stats since i can focus food on survivability.

(edited by Brutaly.6257)

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

Colesy sounds like he needs a snickers bar.

I AM ON THE INTERWEBS.. HEAR ME ROAR!

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: tanshiniza.8629

tanshiniza.8629

Ofc you can burst, if you have survivability you will have time and if you have time you can stack might and if you can stack might you can have silly amounts of power.

Might stacking is very useful unless you meet a Necro or a thief. Never give a Thief free might stacks or you’ll end up wondering where the 12K backstab came from.

Calm Caril – Level 80 – Guardian
“Jim’ll Fix It and if he doesn’t it’s not broken”

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Interceptor.2653

Interceptor.2653

Might stacking is very useful unless you meet a Necro or a thief. Never give a Thief free might stacks or you’ll end up wondering where the 12K backstab came from.

That’s not how Bountiful Theft works. One stack of Might is not going to make a huge difference on Backstab. Thieves have a lot of ways to get Might for themselves anyway, particularly if they aren’t running some kitten-useless glass Backstab build.

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

Sure, but that exception doesn’t make PVT gear any less good in WvW.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I use:

• Full Pvt in large scale WvW with hammer/staff
  • Celestial Armour, Weapons and Accessories with Ruby Rings/amulet for WvW roaming with mace/focus and greatsword
  • Full Magi Armour, Cleric Trinkets with Mace/Focus and Staff for support PvE
  • 3 piece celestial/3berserker and ruby for Dps PvE

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

swiftpaw.6397

I use:

• Full Pvt in large scale WvW with hammer/staff
  • Celestial Armour, Weapons and Accessories with Ruby Rings/amulet for WvW roaming with mace/focus and greatsword
  • Full Magi Armour, Cleric Trinkets with Mace/Focus and Staff for support PvE
  • 3 piece celestial/3berserker and ruby for Dps PvE

That’s a really good idea.

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Thereon.5219

Thereon.5219

Player
Vs
Tequatl

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: tanshiniza.8629

tanshiniza.8629

Sure, but that exception doesn’t make PVT gear any less good in WvW.

Didn’t say anything about PVT gear only that there is a counter to might stacking is all. PVT gear is currently widely used in WvW and for good reason.

That’s not how Bountiful Theft works. One stack of Might is not going to make a huge difference on Backstab. Thieves have a lot of ways to get Might for themselves anyway, particularly if they aren’t running some kitten-useless glass Backstab build.

I’m just going off of what I’ve heard about Bountiful Theft so if it is wrong my apologies I don’t really play assassin style classes myself so my time on Thief is limited.
As a Guardian the 2 classes I find that hard counter me are good PP/Sbow theives since a good one will kite exceptionally well and Condition based Grenade/bomb kit Engineers for the same reason. Glass cannon Theives are hands down the easiest class to deal with.

Calm Caril – Level 80 – Guardian
“Jim’ll Fix It and if he doesn’t it’s not broken”

Guardian PTV

in Guardian

Posted by: Erichermit.6018

Erichermit.6018

If you don’t think you can handle wearing Berserker, then theres a couple things you should do.

Knights: At least damage is still okay and you have toughness.
Celestial: I guess this plays into your “support” role since it’s got some healing power tacked on too.

In either case, you don’t need PVT armor or even armor with any healing power to be a proper “support.” Support will originate from your skills and virtues (popping out aoe protections / blinds / aegis / might / pulling enemies close together / using wardings to control the field / etc). Healing power scales pretty badly save a few moves so I wouldn’t use clerics, only celestial. More importantly though, the game is much more about avoiding damage than healing it, and as a guardian you can bring a lot of options for your party to avoid damage.

In either case, when you feel comfortable with what you’re wearing, consider swapping one part out for a zerker.