Guardian Protection could be alot better..

in Guardian

Posted by: Guitarist.4017

Guitarist.4017

A lot of the Guardian skills are to defend against projectiles or to not let enemies pass but there is something that is really bugging me.. The 2nd Shield skill where you create a dome of protection that enemies cant cross and blocks projectiles doesn’t block against AoE… I find this really annoying because it makes sense that you should be able to absorb that damage with these kinds of skills. After all it is just arrows or fireballs and if they’re not coming from above you can block them just fine. I would like to see Guardians being more useful in the Guarding department

in Guardian

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

i agree with you , i also find that skill annoying , specialy when 5 guardians with 4 balistas behind block the entrance to an keep vs 50-70 ppls.
for real, is the most overpowered skill that guardian have already.
10 points in virtues :1/2 seconds cast time and ground targeting,
you can use it to block entrances, to knock back ppls, to protect downed ally’s and heal them from 900 range ? to knock back enemy’s from the siege and make them unable to use siege for 7 seconds.
1 guardian killed me with that shield and i coudn’t even fight back, got caugh betwen wall and shield , perma knocked down for 7 seconds.

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

in Guardian

Posted by: Draeka.5941

Draeka.5941

I find it hard to believe a skill on an almost 2 minute timer is OP, especially when its effect is relatively short. If any of those 50-70 people charging a keep don’t have stability in their build for Wv3, they’re doing it wrong. And yes, the bubble needs some buffing on the defensive front, as opposed to simple area-denial.

in Guardian

Posted by: MHE Tiger.4875

MHE Tiger.4875

I have to agree, and most unfortunately, point out that enemies CAN pass through shield #2…it just blasts them back for about, oh idk…a second?

It should function as a sanctuary, just maybe not heal you. But enemies/projectiles should not be able to cross into it. And it doesn’t last long enough

EDIT: for PvE of course, as for Rayya’s post, I am surprised that all skills aren’t rebuffed for pvp anyways like they were in gw1, but oh well.

(edited by MHE Tiger.4875)

in Guardian

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

I think the healing skills could need a buff even on 1227 healing powers higher than most builds this is what you get:
1565 merciful intervention 80sec cd
1698 hold the line 35sec cd
3270 sanctuary 120sec cd

Heres my suggestions to fix it
merciful intervention healing increased by 400%
hold the line healing increased by 250%
sanctuary healing increased by 50% and 60sec cd

in Guardian

Posted by: Heinel.6548

Heinel.6548

I don’t think merciful invervention needs more healing. It needs ground targeting.

There are tonnes other healing sources guardians can utilize, heal on aegis end, heal on dodge, heal on atks, heal on symbol, those add up to a lot.

“… but I hate the idea ‘It may not make sense at first’.
I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

in Guardian

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

Merciful intervention good as it is it provide a quick escape route if you get focused so i don’t agree on the ground targeting. but the healing is still to low to actually help it heal as much as the average lvl 80 veteran mob hit with 1 attack and that is in my opinion absurd on that long cooldown.

in Guardian

Posted by: ComeAndSee.1356

ComeAndSee.1356

Merciful intervention is just too weak and you have no control over where it teleports you.

Heal on dodge is really one of our most powerful heals if you have Vigor available.

Sha Nari – 80 Guardian (http://bit.ly/12RNvtK)
Lorella Windrunner – 80 Thief
Shayera Nightfall – 80 Mesmer

in Guardian

Posted by: Silver.8023

Silver.8023

I think people are confusing Shield of Absorption with Sanctuary here.

Silver Stormshield – Guardian
Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

in Guardian

Posted by: Draeka.5941

Draeka.5941

I think people are confusing Shield of Absorption with Sanctuary here.

Aye, I was mainly responding to Rayya’s comment about Sanc, though honestly both bubbles need to be looked at; SoA mainly because it bugs out and roots you in place if detonated.

in Guardian

Posted by: Razor.9132

Razor.9132

SoA mainly because it bugs out and roots you in place if detonated.

The most annoying thing about our shield. Also, #4 needs to be replaced with something on a lower cooldown that is at least worth taking the shield for.

in Guardian

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Shield is fail. I’m expecting it to get buffed when the devs boost the crap powers/skills.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Guardian

Posted by: hithlain.4385

hithlain.4385

In fact yes, I guess shield is fail… As if you look at many builds out there, most do not use a shield at all ^^

When I first played GW2, to me I saw the guardian as a sword and shield fighter, but in fact the shield is very situational, and not really needed… Many mobs apply conditions, and for that, the focus is more useful…

in Guardian

Posted by: ComeAndSee.1356

ComeAndSee.1356

Shield of Absorption is pretty good.

• It knock’s people back. Great for getting people off you or punting people off cliffs or interrupting.
  • The absorption part is too short, but you can detonate the shield and heal yourself and people around you for about 1,400~ with decent +healing. It’s an extra heal.
Sha Nari – 80 Guardian (http://bit.ly/12RNvtK)
Lorella Windrunner – 80 Thief
Shayera Nightfall – 80 Mesmer

in Guardian

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Shield doesn’t block people from getting into the bubble, it only knocks back on initial activation. Guardian does have a number of skills that do block enemies, but Shield of Absorption is not one of them. Its an initial knockback + ranged defense + heal on detonate, not a “ward” to keep people out.

As for the shield not blocking AoE… no projectile blocking attack in the game blocks AoE. AoE is not considered a projectile as far as the game mechanics go. Thats just the way its set up. The only way to make Shield of Absorption block AoE would be to make it block all attacks period (unless the devs have some sort of AoE block mechanic in the game but unused).

I do think Shield of Absorption is a bit lackluster. I think it could use some improvements, definately. Maybe it could reflect projectiles instead of just blocking them, and the delay after detonating the shield needs to be fixed so that you don’t have to weapon swap / cancel to start attacking again in a timely fasion.

in Guardian

Posted by: Heinel.6548

Heinel.6548

I think the thing about SoA being stuck is probably because it’s a channeled ability. I think it’d be better if they just make it instant or 1/4sec cast and let the shield persists on it’s own it’ll be more fluid.

“… but I hate the idea ‘It may not make sense at first’.
I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis