Guardian September 2014 Patch Notes

in Guardian

Posted by: Tarsius.3170

Tarsius.3170

Guardian

Elite Focus

• This trait now grants stability to tome elite skills. Each tome will gain stability at the time it receives its associated boon (retaliation or protection).

Glacial Heart

• The cooldown of this trait has been reduced to 15 seconds. Chill duration has been reduced from 4 to 3 seconds.

Eternal Spirit

• This trait has been renamed to Expeditious Spirit and now reduces recharge of spirit command skills.

Hammer of Wisdom

• This spirit weapon is no longer destroyed when the Command skill is used.
  • The Command skill now initiates a Blast combo finisher on the spirit weapon.

Sword of Justice

• The Command skill now applies 5 stacks of vulnerability to the enemies it strikes.
  • Removed the pulsing camera shake that this skill caused.

Shield of the Avenger

• In addition to striking and bouncing to enemies, this ability will now bounce to allies when the Command skill is used, granting them aegis.

Bow of Truth

• Added Healing, Radius, Duration, Number of Targets, and Number of Hits skill facts. This spirit weapon is no longer destroyed when the Command skill is used.
  • When the Command skill is used, this ability can now be cast at a range of 1200.

Merciful Intervention

• This ability is now a ground-targeted skill and will shadowstep the guardian to an ally in the targeted area, healing allies around the guardian.

Renewed Focus

• This ability is now a Meditation and will function with Meditation Mastery, Focused Mind, and Monk’s Focus.

Conflagrate (Tome of Wrath)

• Damage of this ability has been increased by 10%.

Judgment (Tome of Wrath)

• Reduced casting time by 1.5 seconds.

Purifying Ribbon (Tome of Courage)

• Increased the number of conditions removed from allies from 1 to 2 per bounce.

Shield of Absorption

• Fixed a bug that caused this skill’s projectile absorption to persist after the skill was cancelled or interrupted.

Spirit Weapons

• Fixed an issue that caused spirit weapons to receive an incredibly long recharge if they were active when transitioning into water.

Resolute Healer

• Fixed a bug that caused this trait to block unblockable missiles.

Symbol of Protection

• Updated the damage skill facts to display Hammer Damage and Symbol Damage separately. Added a Number of Targets: 5 skill fact.

Light of Judgement

• Added a Number of Bounces: 4 skill fact.

Weight of Justice

• Added a Damage and Pulses: 2 skill fact.

Pillar of Light

• Updated the damage skill fact for this skill to scale correctly.

Purging Flames

• Added a Number of Targets: 5 skill fact.

Symbol of Protection

• Updated Number of Target skill facts to correctly indicate the maximum number of targets.

Wrathful Spirits

• Updated spirit weapon skill facts to indicate the damage increased when this trait is equipped.

Scepter Power

• Fixed a bug in which this trait failed to update associated skill facts.

Revenge of the Fallen

• Fixed a bug in which this trait failed to update associated skill facts.
Warhaft Tarsius – Asura Guardian ( Desolation ) – [NUKE]
Guardian FAQ · BUGS · HEALING

(edited by Tarsius.3170)

in Guardian

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Shadowstep on a guardian?? +1 for mobility.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Can’t believe I’m say this, but the bow is good. They actually listened. It scales with healing power now.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in Guardian

Tarsius.3170

Arc: Also the Monks Focus bug is still there so you still get an extra heal even if you don’t TP to an ally – contrary to the skillbar preview. ( so you get 1x 2k heal from MF and 1x 2k heal from MI regardless of target )

Harbinger – nice! what’s the coefficient?

Shame about the fix to the shield bubble…

(edited by Tarsius.3170)

in Guardian

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Does focused mind’s fury happen when renewed focus is cast? The thing here is that the fury would be pretty wasted during the channel.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in Guardian

Harbinger.8637

Arc: Also the Monks Focus bug is still there so you still get an extra heal even if you don’t TP to an ally – contrary to the skillbar preview. ( so you get 1x 2k heal from MF and 1x 2k heal from MI regardless of target )

It’s not huge, but it does make a difference, the overall heal is quite large now. First screen in 0 hp the other is 1200 hp. So if you stand in the whole duration, it’s a 5040 heal, however I don’t know if the number of impacts is divided by the number of players in the area. So it could be less, if more people are receiving the heal.

Attachments:

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

Can’t believe I’m say this, but the bow is good. They actually listened. It scales with healing power now.

Oh god, yes, finally. * – *

Why don’t they mention important details like that in the patch notes?

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

Oh god, yes, finally. * – *

Why don’t they mention important details like that in the patch notes?

A lot of game-designers try to hide the numbers behind the game to increase immersion. This works great for single-player games (where it doesn’t matter as long as the game is fun) but for any game with a competitive element this is useless. For one thing, the players will figure it out anyway and it just increases the barrier to entry for newer or less math-savvy players.

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

I am kinda interested in the Superior Rune of Evasion.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

in Guardian

Tarsius.3170

Does focused mind’s fury happen when renewed focus is cast? The thing here is that the fury would be pretty wasted during the channel.

Both the heal from MF and the Fury from FM occur at the end of the channel.

Other things I’ve noticed:

Shield of Absorbtion: Popping the shield no longer roots you

Tome of Wrath: no longer boosts your base power to insane levels ( so no more one-shotting folks in WvW for 25k using Shield of Wrath ) – I guess they fixed this along with the Ele tornado. It still gives you about +50% precision though

You still get the MI heal on a mis-teleport even without Monk’s Focus slotted

MI lets you teleport upstairs – something JI always had trouble with (haven’t tried an arch jump yet)

You can now avoid fall damage with MI, like other teleports

(edited by Tarsius.3170)

in Guardian

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Norn male using sword #3 has new voice now, very important to notice this

9 Guardians later…

in Guardian

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

I was SUPER excited when I saw about it, specially for PvP where we SUFFER from lack of cripple, movement speed of any sort and to a lesser extend fury outside meditations, so I thought that the set would be PERFECT for PvP (even better if the raw stat was power instead of ferocity tbh) ….

then I saw that it was for PvE and WvW ONLY……sigh, the disappointment, lets hope it doesnt take as long as it took the perplexity one to get implemented…..

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

in Guardian

Harbinger.8637

It just sounds really strong, especially if you’re using energy sigils.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

To Anet:

Shield of the Avenger

This spirit weapon is no longer destroyed when the Command skill is used.
In addition to striking and bouncing to enemies, this ability will now bounce to allies when the Command skill is used, granting them aegis.

What really happens is: player sends shield to melee range of the target with the command , and shield stays there right next to the target , target kills shield with one hit.

The changes on Spirit weapons are still lacking not offering the investment on them.
The traits that needed to get spirits full traited, i dont even understand.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

Is it just me, or did the scepter get a projectile velocity buff?

in Guardian

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

-Bought the recepie
-Removed my travelar runes
- Crafted 6*evasion
- Put them in my zojjas/keepers set
-Tried them out for like 45 minutes
-Put back the travelars
-I will not look back

They have have 10 sec internal cd but work out of combat. One weird thing is that even with 50% boon duration i didnt see the 1,5 s increase on uptime on fury and swiftness i thought i would see.

The aoe on the cripple is just to small

in Guardian

Posted by: Dagoth.7038

Dagoth.7038

Unless this was already the case and I never realised – “Focused Mind” was silently buffed and now gives AoE fury (max 5 limit) on meditation use.

That could help med guards in roaming parties more useful along with the new shadowstep.

Valdol ~ [MA] Guardian FSP
All is Vain

in Guardian

Posted by: Hostility.4961

Hostility.4961

Cant feel a kitten thing different.
Spirit weapons melt within a second and behave dumb all over the map.
Glacial Heart = useless cuz i have to remove medi fury
Renewed focus buff is negated by all the ranged dmg buffs other classes got this patch.
2000 heal and 18 sec less cd is not helpin when u gettin range and condi spammed from every direction.

Just had a few yoloq matches. The amount of ranged dmg is insane. Cant use zerker amulet anymore.

(edited by Hostility.4961)

in Guardian

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

-Bought the recepie
- Crafted 6*evasion
-Put back the travelars
-I will not look back

They have have 10 sec internal cd but work out of combat. One weird thing is that even with 50% boon duration i didnt see the 1,5 s increase on uptime on fury and swiftness i thought i would see.

Well that just burst my bubble. But thanks for the heads up.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

in Guardian

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

-Bought the recepie
- Crafted 6*evasion
-Put back the travelars
-I will not look back

Well that just burst my bubble. But thanks for the heads up.

same ’er

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

in Guardian

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

It’s too bad on the evasion runes. On first glance they looked great for how I want to play. With an ICD of 10s the boons should be 5s, to match most uptime on other runes (runes of pack ~50% uptime on swiftness/fury).

It would be nice if they made it to pvp, but they could use a couple second buff.

in Guardian

Posted by: Snorcha.7586

Snorcha.7586

I’ve been testing some changes this morning. Monk’s Focus does not seem to be behaving properly with Renewed Focus.. Sometimes I get the heal (probably 1% so far) – other times, I don’t.. The CD reduction works with Meditation Mastery, but the heal does not seem to be working in any sort of reliable form. Obviously I’m talking about when you’re not at full health

in Guardian

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Is that really a bug though? Some skills will proc effects even if they whiff. For example, the thief’s thrill of the crime which grants swiftness/fury/might on steal will still grant the thief boons even if it fails.

I think it makes sense that it should heal even if it fails— assuming the skill was activated and goes on cooldown. You should be able to invoke it for a proc heal even if the skill itself fails— ranger shouts are often used for that purpose; the shouts themselves are pretty terrible.

Both the heal from MF and the Fury from FM occur at the end of the channel.

Other things I’ve noticed:

Shield of Absorbtion: Popping the shield no longer roots you

Tome of Wrath: no longer boosts your base power to insane levels ( so no more one-shotting folks in WvW for 25k using Shield of Wrath ) – I guess they fixed this along with the Ele tornado. It still gives you about +50% precision though

You still get the MI heal on a mis-teleport even without Monk’s Focus slotted

MI lets you teleport upstairs – something JI always had trouble with (haven’t tried an arch jump yet)

You can now avoid fall damage with MI, like other teleports

That’s excellent.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Guardian

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

I haven’t played this game in about a year and a half, but these patch notes are making me consider coming back.

in Guardian

Tarsius.3170

Is that really a bug though? Some skills will proc effects even if they whiff. For example, the thief’s thrill of the crime which grants swiftness/fury/might on steal will still grant the thief boons even if it fails.

I think it makes sense that it should heal even if it fails— assuming the skill was activated and goes on cooldown. You should be able to invoke it for a proc heal even if the skill itself fails— ranger shouts are often used for that purpose; the shouts themselves are pretty terrible.

right, i perhaps got the impression from the skillbar that we’d get punished for missing. I have not done much testing, but so far i’ve not seen a triple heal from MF and MI, so that bug has probably been fixed.

in Guardian

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

It’s too bad on the evasion runes. On first glance they looked great for how I want to play. With an ICD of 10s the boons should be 5s, to match most uptime on other runes (runes of pack ~50% uptime on swiftness/fury).

It would be nice if they made it to pvp, but they could use a couple second buff.

My thought exactly, they looked great and the concept is very interesting for a guardian.

Yeah 5 sec uptime and a larger aoe and they would be valid but three seconds is just to little.

That recepie costed 19 gold to get and the runes are account bound on pick up as well, lol.

in Guardian

Posted by: Althalos.6734

Althalos.6734

So spirit weapons:
1) They still suffer from built-in artificial stupidity, especially the bow and shield which have the habbit of running towards any enemy without even being able to attack them.

2) Another thing about the AI – you can still execute commands and put them on cooldown without them doing anything when you have no enemy targeted (this doesn’t include the bow for obvious reasons) and even if you have, the weapons are still lazy to get into range before executing it.

3) Spirit weapons are not destroyed when commanded – good.

4) Expeditious Spirit – is a direct result of a nerf to Spirit-Weapon Mastery. Before Spirit-Weapon Mastery used to reduce cooldowns of both the spirit weapon summons and their commands, now the second part was ripped out and remade as new Master tier trait (it’s barely Master tier worthy). This looks like lack of imagination here, why didn’t they just move Improved Spirit-Weapon Duration to this place is beyond me (they may have as well left the name as it was and make it a “Spirit weapons don’t expire” trait).

5) Sword of Justice – fine, but it would be nice if the command was more like Whirling Wrath.

6) Shield of the Avenger – having a new source of aegis is nice, but it has two downsides:
- you can’t use the command without an enemy in target (see #2)
- the effect is delayed because of the shield travel time which limits its on-demand/just-in-time defence

7) Bow of Truth – finally something good for the bow, well except for the part where the 1200 range is relative to you and not the bow.

My conclusion is that Spirit Weapons are still highly clunky and very stressful to use in any part of the game. This patch barely scratched that what is inherently wrong with Spirit Weapons.

Althalos Dragonclaw – Seafarer’s Rest Guardian – Symbol of Hope
I use ESDF.

(edited by Althalos.6734)

in Guardian

Posted by: Noah.4756

Noah.4756

Unless this was already the case and I never realised – “Focused Mind” was silently buffed and now gives AoE fury (max 5 limit) on meditation use.

That could help med guards in roaming parties more useful along with the new shadowstep.

This is a huge silent buff. I wonder if it was intentional? Meditation guards are now more useful in parties. Providing fury and targeted healing with MI.

in Guardian

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

med skill gives aoe fury ?

still no room for med guards in gvg …. fury gives ele and war . no need a selfish guard build to give this buff to any serious pvp party .

but it is ok something from nothing for havoc pt or roaming that incidentally have some allies around

(edited by Reborn.2934)

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

So spirit weapons:
1) They still suffer from built-in artificial stupidity, especially the bow and shield which have the habbit of running towards any enemy without even being able to attack them.

2) Another thing about the AI – you can still execute commands and put them on cooldown without them doing anything when you have no enemy targeted (this doesn’t include the bow for obvious reasons) and even if you have, the weapons are still lazy to get into range before executing it.

3) Spirit weapons are not destroyed when commanded – good.

4) Expeditious Spirit – is a direct result of a nerf to Spirit-Weapon Mastery. Before Spirit-Weapon Mastery used to reduce cooldowns of both the spirit weapon summons and their commands, now the second part was ripped out and remade as new Master tier trait (it’s barely Master tier worthy). This looks like lack of imagination here, why didn’t they just move Improved Spirit-Weapon Duration to this place is beyond me (they may have as well left the name as it was and make it a “Spirit weapons don’t expire” trait).

5) Sword of Justice – fine, but it would be nice if the command was more like Whirling Wrath.

6) Shield of the Avenger – having a new source of aegis is nice, but it has two downsides:
- you can’t use the command without an enemy in target (see #2)
- the effect is delayed because of the shield travel time which limits its on-demand/just-in-time defence

7) Bow of Truth – finally something good for the bow, well except for the part where the 1200 range is relative to you and not the bow.

My conclusion is that Spirit Weapons are still highly clunky and very stressful to use in any part of the game. This patch barely scratched that what is inherently wrong with Spirit Weapons.

^precisely.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lytalm.5673

Lytalm.5673

Snip

Exactly my tought, I tried it yesterday in dungeon and that wasn’t a good time. I tried it also in PvE and didn’t really like it either, may try it again. In the end, it will take more work on SW so it’s good and worth using.

Les Pirates du Styx [xQcx]
Fort Aspenwood

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

My thought exactly, they looked great and the concept is very interesting for a guardian.

Yeah 5 sec uptime and a larger aoe and they would be valid but three seconds is just to little.

That recepie costed 19 gold to get and the runes are account bound on pick up as well, lol.

You got ripped, I paid 5g last night. But in the end I got punked because I bought it, then gave it to a crafter, then gave mats for 12, then we both found out in the end they are account bound How dumb is that…

Or I’m an idiot for not reading I guess /boggle.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Guardian

Posted by: Snorcha.7586

Snorcha.7586

So am I the only one getting the bug with Monk’s Focus not working with Renewed Focus??? – It seriously only heals 1 out of 10 times, even in the combat log… WTF?

in Guardian

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

In order for spirit weapons to be even a mediocre alternative they need to stay around forever and have at least double the hp they have now and have their attack damage scale with player equipment stats.