Guardian Setup questions

Guardian Setup questions

in Guardian

Posted by: Hurtsyadoughnut.2460

Hurtsyadoughnut.2460

Okay, so I just recently hit 80 with my first character my guardian. I’m after reading some guides and watching some videos i’m still having some issues figuring out my build and stat priority.

I’m looking a WvW spec and a dungeon/fractal/open world. A balance spec/set up. During leveling I ran a combo of 2h hammer/gs and mace/torch. Now i’m thinking of doing a scepter/torch and mace/shield combo. Filling traits around defense/mace dps for wvw/dungeon to be tanky/medi. Then when I switch to scepter/torch filling traits around fire/dps.

Now stat priority is where i’m having a real headache finding the appropriate levels to aim for to be half way competent in my role. I’m was going to try to mix-match tank stats and dps stats to be fairly balance but not sure if that would work or just make me ill effective for either side.

Any help would be appreciated

Guardian Setup questions

in Guardian

Posted by: Aggrostemma.1703

Aggrostemma.1703

Hi there and welcome!

Wvw/fractal/open world can be enjoyed in mostly the same gear and alter the traits but the dungeon runs are not optimal running this build. Sure if you do a dungeon every now and then and you have some friends who do not care if it takes a bit longer go for it. The current optimal tactic “a.k.a: the Meta” is get full damage gear and the needed support from traits.

(you can check the www.metabattle.com for these builds)

In wvw the smaller the group gets the more offensive stat you can use.

Large scale wvw aka zerg:
frontline guardian: incredibly durable staff+either GS or Hammer. PowerToughnessVitality armour, cleric and knight accessories. Heal power is usually between 600 and 1200. 3000 armour value is the very minimum I used to have around 3300.
shout guardian: pretty much the same with traited Pure of Voice and sometimes Trooper runes. PVT and knight mix. No healing power needed so you can have more defence or offence instead.

Small scale havoc: the above builds can also be used but the game prefers more damage here:
tanky meditation: 00644 with meditation traits and abilities. Consecration or Shout can be added. PVT armour and as much berserker as you can sqeeze in without being too paper. Get the 3000 armour with Knight’s. Every weapon can be useful here but GS and Hammer are dominant. Scepter and Focus can be the main weapon choice due to less AoE needed here.

group and solo: you can do everything here! Nomad, full zerk everything can work. You mostly play alone or with your friends so if you run some silly build no stranger sends you into the hell

Fractal: 00644 tanky medi works fine in low level fractals. You have to change utilities/traits before every fight.

Open word: press tab – press 1 – loot

Silverwastes: the PvE meta is berserker but I do not suggest to play full offence an this map. 00644 build works just fine. Put as many power/precision/ferocity on as you can and stay alive. PVT armour and some wvw experience helps a lot…

Some magic numbers:

armour: 3000-3300 below this you are a wet tissue while more than this is a too much of sacrifice.
power: get at least 2000 with buffs such as food-sharpening stone-bloodlust.
vitality: get more than 15k! You need some defence. Everything above 20k is a waste in my opinion.
precision: aim for about 20% to proc critical hit related traits and sigils. 30% + fury gives you the sweet 50% chance.
ferocity: Precision>Ferocity. If you build for healing power this is the stat you will sacrifice. You can get around 200% crit damage with soldier’s+berserker.
healing power: usually 0, but you can build for it. If you wanna play “healer support” aim for 1000 heal on dodge roll. So around 870 healing power.
condition damage: usually 0, but you can build for it. In solo/party gameplay a “hybrid” can be good…ish. I do not recommend this but hey! it’s your game play as you want!

Happy guardin’!

#I no words have"

Guardian Setup questions

in Guardian

Aggrostemma.1703

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVQQJARSlsApaotCxcI8DNBEBkJYGddYA-TlSBwA4U/hryD+aCOrE8qSsIPAA86AOu/gmjAAgLBQAAEgbezs5NDYoD9mD9m3sUAMpMC-w

Here is my example build.

I keep swapping weapon (cleric staff), traits (altruistic healing, two handed mastery, strength in numbers, etc… you name it…) and accessories (more cleric or knight or berserker). And food obviously…

Armour and basic trait points stay the same.

#I no words have"

Guardian Setup questions

in Guardian

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

I highly suggest looking through Obal’s PvE Guide that is sticky’d at the top of the guardian forums. It’s a great pool of information that will put you in position to be successful in PvE (dungeons/fractals). There are plenty of builds, but more importantly the concept behind them is there too.

PvE and WvW are to completely game modes, and should be treated as such. For that, I suggest you read through Harbringer’s WvW Guide that is also sticky’d at the top of the forum. Again, like Obal’s guide, there is a ton of great information that will help you understand the role of guardian in WvW.

Both guides will give you much more insight than someone could in a reply. Good luck man, and congrats on your first level 80.

Guardian Setup questions

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Attachments:

Guardian Setup questions

in Guardian

Aggrostemma.1703

Hmm Ragna, your build is great…

I will give it a try too… But I will not trait for Justice is Blind… And I will also get the 3000 armour somehow… You know sometimes I’m the only guardian and strength in numbers is not always available…

Just a question: are you sure that Pure of Hearth is better than Protective Reviver? Or do I miss something I must be aware of?

Note: I’m mostly a WvW player and usually I can find somebody on the ground to proc the trait…

#I no words have"

Guardian Setup questions

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Hmm Ragna, your build is great…

I will give it a try too… But I will not trait for Justice is Blind… And I will also get the 3000 armour somehow… You know sometimes I’m the only guardian and strength in numbers is not always available…

Just a question: are you sure that Pure of Hearth is better than Protective Reviver? Or do I miss something I must be aware of?

Note: I’m mostly a WvW player and usually I can find somebody on the ground to proc the trait…

You can get 3k armor no problem just swap some amulet or ring into toughness.
Blind is always nice to have.
Pure of heart is very good because you often don’t have time to revive someone while 2,3 are onto you in wvw. Protective is good if you are bunker guardian in pvp when you need to hold a point.