Guardian Shield, again..Please change it

in Guardian

Posted by: Animosity.5968

Animosity.5968

Ok, so we’ve seen this thread a billion times already. Basically if i’m unaware of any coming changes then please tell me but if not then i’m asking for a rework of the weapon. It’s extremely iconic for a class that protects other classes through buffs & mitigation. Plus, literally on your profession page the guardian is wielding a shield. To a serious note though, all dps charts have been worked out fairly recently and most weapon sets come close to each other. This means that all weapons may play different but the are viable in certain area’s of the game. These charts don’t even try to mention shield, it’s literally left off the chart. It has no use in PvE and imo no use in WvW. Idk what you want to do with it but just change something. Imo it could have use in certain area’s if shield #5 reflected but hey it prob needs even more of a buff than that.

Charts mentioned:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ou7qL2Dj2gytJeS0bl1FinoukKWGnTf_FLTEP4gkuUQ/edit?pli=1#gid=1548911428

in this video he breaks down all dps and viability of all weapon’s for guardian, its just straight up numbers and he simply laughs shield away.

youtube video of Obal : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0yafg9payQ

I kinda figure that using a shield (being a defensive weapon) will drop some dps but you gain pretty much no utility with it.

Shield #4 – A 30sec cd for 5sec of party protection (not too bad but does no dmg compared to its other option of focus)

Shield #5 -A projectile absorb with a knock back on a 40sec cd (absorb is useless, no dmg, long cd, knock back has uses but cd is too long for it to matter, small heal is ok). Compare that to focus #5 and its no contest.

What i think should change:

Shield# 4 should do more dmg and be on a 25sec cd. the protection it gives is good for helping party members, it could change to give aegis but that may be OP.

Shield #5 should REFLECT not absorb making it useful for dungeons, CD should be 35sec. Could increase the heal on breaking the channel but if it reflected i’d seriously consider the shield for dungeons or WvW havoc groups.

If people are actually using shield atm please chime in and tell me how and why you use it. I just cant justify using it (despite how amazing it looks with guardian) over scepter in WvW or PvE. It just lacks the same utility and damage.

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

You’re preaching to the choir. We’ve been asking for a revamp on shield 6 months after game released yet they managed to fix shield #5’s bug, nerfing it further.

Aegis alone would do wonders for it. A grand master trait offering Aegis to shield skills would do wonders for it. Pretty much every idea the Guardian community asked would do wonders for it. But alas! They have not touched it.
How many top tier guardian utilizes a shield?? This goes for tpvp WvW and PvE. It’s a mediocre, underused thunderbust.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I like sShield 5 skills also can absorb engi nades, but apart of the progectiles absortion is a pretty useless trait for the shield cooldown turns to be a waste of space in most scenarios.
Shield/Spirit weapon/Sanctuary should deserve an improvement, at least on its cooldowns and durations.

Skills cooldown on GW2 is pretty bad since they are equal to other classes without having the same “weight” effect, reason this game sometimes turn out to be a play class to win.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Guardian

Posted by: Tohbais.5714

Tohbais.5714

Give shield 4 slight knock back for control and trait shield 5 for a regen for the entire time its up. That would do fairly good right there. Maybe have the regen linger for a second or two after the dome drops.

in Guardian

Posted by: creepmatic.9435

creepmatic.9435

The thing is, nobody know what they want with the guardian shield, a lot of ideas had been thrown around on these forums and they are all different most of the time. I guess any change that will make the shield work different is going to be better than it’s actual form. I mean how can you break something that isn’t even used at all.

The biggest problem I think is to make something that will stand beside focus and not try to bite on the warrior shield, which is pretty hard if the resources are limited and no extra animations/mechanic is allowed on the change. Also, the idea of giving aegis to the shield is pretty meh.

in Guardian

Aeolus.3615

when u press shield 5(without moving) and it turns to last 1 second with the auto explode animation….

working as intended, anet does not care about guardian defensive fixes.

in Guardian

Posted by: Animosity.5968

Animosity.5968

The thing is, nobody know what they want with the guardian shield, a lot of ideas had been thrown around on these forums and they are all different most of the time. I guess any change that will make the shield work different is going to be better than it’s actual form. I mean how can you break something that isn’t even used at all.

The biggest problem I think is to make something that will stand beside focus and not try to bite on the warrior shield, which is pretty hard if the resources are limited and no extra animations/mechanic is allowed on the change. Also, the idea of giving aegis to the shield is pretty meh.

You have it right. Will it be hard to change it without ripping off warrior shield and with no new animations? yes probably, it means it has to be a boons or dmg buff. Here’s the thing though, i’d take my chances and see if what they do makes it worse or better. If its better than hurray i can use shield, if its worse then guess what no one used it anyways so who cares.

and yea Aeolus that happens to me all the time. its like the cherry on top of the joke shield. One of the skills don’t even work as intended atleast 50% of the time (from what i’ve played with it)

(edited by Animosity.5968)

in Guardian

Aeolus.3615

You have it right. Will it be hard to change it without ripping off warrior shield and with no new animations? yes probably, it means it has to be a boons or dmg buff. Here’s the thing though, i’d take my chances and see if what they do makes it worse or better. If its better than hurray i can use shield, if its worse then guess what no one used it anyways so who cares.

and yea Aeolus that happens to me all the time. its like the cherry on top of the joke shield. One of the skills don’t even work as intended atleast 50% of the time (from what i’ve played with it)

I use mace – shield combo on wvw (yes im nuts!!!), if the game mode doesnt even support that weapon choices(or support it badly) when its bugged turns out even to be more disappointing , its like anet is forcing players to play how Anet wants since is easier to have 1 build per class to swift metas over time…

Side note: shield 5 bubble also makes Guardian Binding blade to miss since it is a projectille, so it is a good way to save stabillity againts one skill, absortion is really good pitty is the long CD or duration since player must be static to cast it.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in Guardian

Posted by: Glaciate.3901

Glaciate.3901

couple of things I would change on shield, be able to move while using shield #5, reflect instead of absorb, cd 35secs, make shield #4 knockback up to 5 enemies.

in Guardian

Posted by: creepmatic.9435

creepmatic.9435

Shield skills:
#4 – (3) charges of “blink” 100 – 120 range no target required. Blink as in faster than warriors shield bash, but not instant like Judges Intervention. If u connect with your target, insert bonus boon, condition, effect proc etc
*Blink charges, renew rate, 10s. If you consume all your charges before last renew, goes on CD 30 – 40s.

#5 – Keep the blue bubble, make it 1,5s cast time but instead of rooting you in place u can freely walk and attack in it. The bubble doesn’t knock back enemies and doesn’t fully absorb projectiles anymore. Instead it slows “time” inside the bubble. Enemies and projectiles move 66% slower inside, basically a type of chill. Stability does not help players get rid of the slow effect inside the bubble.
Duration 4s
Cool down 40s

in Guardian

Posted by: Tobeyeus.9376

Tobeyeus.9376

I would like to see Shield of Absorption (5) changed to a Ward. The Guardian drops into a defensive stance (crouch and hold shield up in front), his shield creates a cone shaped wall that blocks projectiles and creates a cone shaped Ward in front of him that prevents enemies from passing through. It would still give the projectile protection but it would also allow the Guardian to body block his allies.

I would also like all Wards to get buffed so that they cause damage when an enemy passes through them with Stability so that they aren’t completely negated by one Boon (especially when you consider people can sometimes jump over the Ward). Also I would like to see a trait added that changes all Wards from a Light Combo field into a Fire Combo field and to cause Burning if an enemy passes through them with Stability. This makes Wards a little stronger while also adding additional ways to get Fire Fields.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kaizz.7306

Kaizz.7306

I’ve always loved how my Focus has more defense capabilities than my shield……………………………………………..

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

Just, like, dropping the cooldowns on the Shield skills would improve it by a lot. Shield of Judgment could stand to lose 5 to 10 seconds and Shield of Absorption could easily be 30 seconds by default. Neither of these is likely to break the Guardian, but they would make the Shield a more viable option.

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

4 should have a slightly lower cd, do more damage and have a 300 knockback. 5 should work as it does now with a lower cd and blast. Also it should stack regeneration

in Guardian

Posted by: Lloyd.7835

Lloyd.7835

i’ve think to make a flameseeker for my guardian,, but when i think about its function,, nahh,, i put it as the last in my legendary list.. the shield is more functioning for warrior but why not for guardian? guardian looks better with shield

in Guardian

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

i’ve think to make a flameseeker for my guardian,, but when i think about its function,, nahh,, i put it as the last in my legendary list.. the shield is more functioning for warrior but why not for guardian? guardian looks better with shield

The Flameseeker Prophecies was the first (and only) legendary I created for my guardian for various of reasons. I don’t regret it at all.

in Guardian

Posted by: rajule.8054

rajule.8054

4 should have a slightly lower cd, do more damage and have a 300 knockback. 5 should work as it does now with a lower cd and blast. Also it should stack regeneration

It’d be a bit overkill to have both abilities with a knockback. I’d prefer to see 4 give aegis and protection to allies, severely lower or even remove the damage, but make it daze enemies.

in Guardian

Posted by: Megastorm.6219

Megastorm.6219

I still think shield skill 5 should draw conditions from all nearby players, and grant Aegis to the whole party..and change the field to water so a heal rotation would be viable also.
Just my 2c

in Guardian

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Eh…shield is in a tough spot. It’s really a great weapon for a PvP bunker build. However, it’s a shame that to get the classic guardian look, the only viable place to pull it off is in PvP with a specific build.

I’d love to see the shield have a use in PvE…but I don’t think there’s a way to do that without breaking it for PvP.

in Guardian

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

And please, for the love of god…fix torch 4. 50/50 chance of it getting randomly obstructed where it shouldn’t.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Eh…shield is in a tough spot. It’s really a great weapon for a PvP bunker build. However, it’s a shame that to get the classic guardian look, the only viable place to pull it off is in PvP with a specific build.

I’d love to see the shield have a use in PvE…but I don’t think there’s a way to do that without breaking it for PvP.

If they got rid of the difference between PVE & PvP for the number 4 skill then changed the number 5 to an AOE AEGIS application/knockback on a 30 second CD then it would be great.

in Guardian

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

Before ranger got buffed and thieves were more common, I used to use shield/mace and greatsword in WvW. Popping a shield 5 in an enemy Shadow Refuge is guaranteed to ruin their day.

in Guardian

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

As others mentioned ANet quite obviously just doesn’t know what to do with it. Personally, I do like the Knockback on #5 and I’d like it to stay group/support focussed since we already got Focus for more selfish gameplay. Stuff I’d enjoy:

Shield of Judgement

• Reduce the cooldown to 20-25s
  • Instead of damaging foes, chill them

Shield of Absorbtion

• Slightly reduce the “channel” time of the skill
  • Make it grant Aegis to nearby allies when casted
  • Blind enemies who cross the bubble
  • Remove #5.2

Honorable Shield

• Remove the Toughness bonus
  • Grant 3s of Protection to nearby allies when your Aegis is destroyed or expires while whielding a shield. ICD.

Those changes should result in some nice synergies with existing traits.