Guardian Spirit Weapons were OP, apparently.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Grandmaster trait Wrathful Spirits just got a whole lot better!

Not really considering they die within seconds of summoning.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Guardian

Posted by: Alarox.4590

Alarox.4590

His point.

Alarox – Human Guardian
Rampage Wilson – Charr Engineer
Sea of Sorrows

in Guardian

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

I’d like to see the weapons hang around now — not die after they timeout. This would compensate for the fact they can take damage.

I agree they still need more health, the ability to receive boons, regen health outside of combat, and get stats from the guardian (similar to mesmer illusions which receive bonuses from the mesmer’s pwr,prc,vit,tough).

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Guardian

Lonewolf Kai.3682

His point.

Still pointless since you only benefit from it for a few seconds with a long CD. The trait along with SWs are a waste of trait and skill slots.

in Guardian

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Still pointless since you only benefit from it for a few seconds with a long CD. The trait along with SWs are a waste of trait and skill slots.

Did you really miss my obvious sarcasm? That trait is not even worth to be master trait.

in Guardian

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Where are you using these things that that happens? Because mine basically last until the run out naturally in most of the Orr dynamic events. Full blown-AoE boss hits nuke them, but against hordes of normal stuff they seem to perform fairly well. Testing back in the low (teens) and Mid (40s) zones, I had the sword successfully tanking for me. More than once its even pulled everything off me and held it while I self-healed after being downed.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Guardian

Nike.2631

I’d like to see the weapons hang around now — not die after they timeout. This would compensate for the fact they can take damage.

I agree they still need more health, the ability to receive boons, regen health outside of combat, and get stats from the guardian (similar to mesmer illusions which receive bonuses from the mesmer’s pwr,prc,vit,tough).

If you have Battle Presence they most definitely regenerate in and out of combat. I think they can also benefit from Empowering Might. I’ll have to check if they are getting other buffs but no reason to think they don’t.

in Guardian

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Has it occurred to any of you that maybe it really was just a bug they wanted to fix?

I love spirit weapons myself and am sullen about the whole ordeal too, but really, it’s not a nerf. The balance team and bug-fixing team are two different groups.

The whole thing sucks, but there’s no reason to bite ANet’s head off. Hopefully we’ll get some news on improvements for pets later this year, but in the mean time, let’s get one thing straight.

This was most likely NOT a balance-related nerf. It was a bug fix that ended up weakening the skill type.

There IS a difference.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

in Guardian

Posted by: Ralloff.7359

Ralloff.7359

Best thing since Ele tornado nerf.

/Surprised/Surprised/Surprised/Surprised
Leader of the 3 man Pop Up Pirates(POMF)
Pretty OK Elementalist

in Guardian

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

Has it occurred to any of you that maybe it really was just a bug they wanted to fix?

I love spirit weapons myself and am sullen about the whole ordeal too, but really, it’s not a nerf. The balance team and bug-fixing team are two different groups.

The whole thing sucks, but there’s no reason to bite ANet’s head off. Hopefully we’ll get some news on improvements for pets later this year, but in the mean time, let’s get one thing straight.

This was most likely NOT a balance-related nerf. It was a bug fix that ended up weakening the skill type.

There IS a difference.

Bug fix that was ignored for 5 months.

Ok, I believe that.

1+1 = potato

in Guardian

Posted by: ComeAndSee.1356

ComeAndSee.1356

Man, the new patch really killed Spirit Weapons in PvE.

I can’t even use the Shield one anymore because it gets one shot constantly on boss fights (half the time as soon as it spawns). =/

Also, mobs keep targeting them and they’re soaking up group heals.

Sha Nari – 80 Guardian (http://bit.ly/12RNvtK)
Lorella Windrunner – 80 Thief
Shayera Nightfall – 80 Mesmer

in Guardian

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

What if this is a precedent of spirit weapons being made permanent? Or increased duration, and the CD starting on cast rather than when they dissapear?

in Guardian

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Did you really miss my obvious sarcasm? That trait is not even worth to be master trait.

Apparently so, but tone is a hard thing to understand in forums.

Where are you using these things that that happens? Because mine basically last until the run out naturally in most of the Orr dynamic events. Full blown-AoE boss hits nuke them, but against hordes of normal stuff they seem to perform fairly well. Testing back in the low (teens) and Mid (40s) zones, I had the sword successfully tanking for me. More than once its even pulled everything off me and held it while I self-healed after being downed.

Erm, since the game is full of AoE, any situation that involves AoE. Figured that would be obvious. This is the same problem with Necros and Rangers, though they still have more usefulness out of their pets.

(edited by Lonewolf Kai.3682)

in Guardian

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

Make the spirit weapons skills go on cooldown as soon as you summon them, problem fixed!

Downside is that they die too quickly to be useful.

I would therefore propose the following:

• increase the health by 25%
  • make the CD start when the weapon is summoned and not on death.
  • (this is actually for all pets) reduce the AoE damage taken by 75%

I like all these ideas. There likely were some good reasons they felt the need to make Spirit Weapons take damage, but along with this patch they really should have reworked the trait lines and overall Spirt Weapon mechanics to compensate for such a major change.

in Guardian

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

there are also many good reasons they should not be subject to damage as designed. the only reason they were nerfed is because of players whining in pvp and wvwvw. whining again did it, otherwise the original design decision would stand for the reasons specified in the original design.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

Am I the only one that find it hillarious that they nerfed SW’s due to shield, but the shield rarely ever dies anyways because it protects itself aswell as the users ? :p

in Guardian

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

There IS a difference.

Now that is just nonsense. It is pretty obvious the designers went out of theit way to make spirits non-interactable entities in the first place, and then considered it too strong in retrospect (whether this is true or not.) Ranger spirits were the same once, until they decided they were too strong and nerfed them.

The shield was so obviously the only one to stand out for spirit weapons, and the nerf seems almost perfectly tailored to get rid of it. If you can’t make this connection for yourself you are just denying the obvious.

Also, it is highly unlikely nobody on the team ever noticed that for 5 months (although not entirely without precedent…), and even if it were true, it would only serve to make the devs responsible look even more incompetent.

(edited by wintermute.4096)

in Guardian

Posted by: showatt.9413

showatt.9413

Tbh Spirit weapon WAS kinda overpowered in sPvP solo. You can’t damage them. Spec into eternal + burning + 100% burn on block (or Aoe Justice burn ) you’re basically producing an endless flaming apocalypse that refuse to go away for a good ten twenty second. Did i I mention 2 active knock downs and continuous knock back from the hammer?

All in all i understand why the nerf happened.
I just wasn’t expecting it to get nerfed so severely. Now the spirits weapon barely makes it pass 10 seconds. Spirit weapon build is kinda hardcore now, and not in a good way.

Those spirit weapon really need a bit more hp.

in Guardian

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

Tbh Spirit weapon WAS kinda overpowered in sPvP solo. You can’t damage them.

They should have just made the Spirit Weapons vulnerable to crowd control, then. It’s not like they lasted that long, even with the proper traiting (in which case, you’re sacrificing other traits).

If the Spirits were invulnerable but short lived and suseptible to crowd control, that would have made them viable, fair and unique. They are none of those things now.

in Guardian

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I would be interested to see Arenanet’s data on the usage of Spirit Weapons. I bet nobody ever uses them. I firmly believe that all 4 should be replaced with useful skills and that as they stand they are pointless filler.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Guardian

Posted by: showatt.9413

showatt.9413

I would be interested to see Arenanet’s data on the usage of Spirit Weapons. I bet nobody ever uses them. I firmly believe that all 4 should be replaced with useful skills and that as they stand they are pointless filler.

erm dude…I actually use them in pvp lol.

It pretty much rips all other builds to shreds (pre-patch) as not many people can avoid 2 spirit weapon that cause burning and knockdown + knock back with doubled durations. Seriously if you try the build in pvp now you can see a glimpse of what it was like back in the days.

10/ 0
20 /30

Spirit weapon last 50% longer, Spirit weapon cause burning
Spirit weapon does not break when commanded, Spirit weapon recharge 20% faster
100% burn chance when block / justice burn area. Virtue of Resolve remove condition.

Use it right? Enjoy being able to hold an entire node against 3 + by yourself.
(in the old days. Nowadays consider yourself luck if you survive 2)

in Guardian

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

@showatt

If that would have been the case, then ANet should have split the skills for PvE/PvP in my humble opinion. But not simply make them vulnerable and call it a day. That’s not balance, but simply nerfing randomly without considering (or caring about) the consequences.

Your build layout is built completely around Spirit Weapons and burning, so it stands to reason that such a heavy investment should allow you to perform well. However, now Spirit Weapons and their related traits have become beyond worthless; especially at higher levels.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Guardian

Nike.2631

It pretty much rips all other builds to shreds (pre-patch) as not many people can avoid 2 spirit weapon that cause burning and knockdown + knock back with doubled durations. Seriously if you try the build in pvp now you can see a glimpse of what it was like back in the days.

10/ 0
20 /30

Spirit weapon last 50% longer, Spirit weapon cause burning
Spirit weapon does not break when commanded, Spirit weapon recharge 20% faster
100% burn chance when block / justice burn area. Virtue of Resolve remove condition.

Use it right? Enjoy being able to hold an entire node against 3 + by yourself.
(in the old days. Nowadays consider yourself luck if you survive 2)

You might be interested in my thread here~

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/More-research-on-the-new-Spirit-Weapons/first#post1391581

Optimal trating for Spirit Weapons may now include a number of tricks that don’t say “Spirit Weapon” right on the tin.