Guardian Vs Perma-knockdown Engineers? (sPVP)

in Guardian

Posted by: Hateborne.7942

Hateborne.7942

I am curious if anyone has any advice for the knockdown spamming Engineers. I understand that their mines/bombs are generally causing this and the solution is to avoid getting near them and/or roll appropriately. The problem I run in to is other players obscuring the dropped explosives.

I really don’t want to slot a bunch of Stability goodies, nor do I want to just let the engineer have the point. The Scepter is trivial damage (so much so that a single engineer seems to outheal it). The only luck that I had was playing like a rogue (leap in, Justice + attack/spin, roll out), which took longer than fighting a defensive guardian.

So….yeah, any advice? Running around with something approaching crithammer with Dolyak 5/6 and Divinity 1/6. Dying is not a problem, as I eventually give up and move on. Neither the engineer or I seem to be doing enough damage to kill each other.

Suggestions?

-Hate

in Guardian

Posted by: Kita.7819

Kita.7819

Knockdowns don’t deal a lot of damage. Get Stand your ground. Its a must in tPVP, and very useful in sPVP.

Kita – Guardian
Server: Darkhaven. The Besthaven.

in Guardian

Posted by: Feandro.5264

Feandro.5264

in wvw i learned pretty fast how important stability is. Nothing says “No, just No” than hitting stand your ground as your opponent knocks you down or stuns you as you channel the killing blow.

And considering its on a 30 second CD (24 with traits) “Stand Your Ground” is amazing.

in Guardian

Posted by: Hateborne.7942

Hateborne.7942

Knockdowns don’t deal a lot of damage. Get Stand your ground. Its a must in tPVP, and very useful in sPVP.

I understand that friend. However, Stand Your Ground lasts 5 seconds. I spent the majority of the fight knocked down (talking few minute fight with neither of us gaining ground). Is there anything to do short of running or waiting on a team?

in wvw i learned pretty fast how important stability is. Nothing says “No, just No” than hitting stand your ground as your opponent knocks you down or stuns you as you channel the killing blow.

And considering its on a 30 second CD (24 with traits) “Stand Your Ground” is amazing.

It is slotted during all PVP. It makes executions comical (except clothies…buggers). It stops one or two, not 17 (which is the exact number of knockdowns from said engineer before I gave up and let him keep the point).

-Hate

in Guardian

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

In addition to mine, engi also has BoB, battering ram, rifle, shield, and ft, as well as a 8 second cd immobilize a engi can throw out a ton of cc…..love that class lol. Granted they have the worst access to stability of any class in the game except maybe necro but I think even their’s is more dependable since we can only get it on chance. Typically, I run ft and rifle and take the elixir gun for decent condition cleanse (through trait) then maybe a stun break or another knock just depends on the situation. With decent timing between the immobilize and knocks you can really keep someone off a point and make them blow their stability, that immobile alone on 8 seconds is rough, granted it is horrible at range since it is easy to dodge but up close it is much tougher I think. I am certainly by no means a pro but I enjoy trolling people with it lol I can almost hear the frustration. I typically won’t do a ton of dmg but meh not really what I am concerned about when running that way.

in Guardian

Posted by: Holyfrog.1956

Holyfrog.1956

I can tell you what i do against such engis.
I have a very similar build from what i read, crithammer and second is scepter/shield.
I cant kill these engis as well, but they do not have stability, knowing that its no longer as hard to take the point he’s defending.
Just dodge towards him (he will sit on the point so you can dodge over the bombs and mines and you wont get hit) then hit your stability, take hammer root him and press 5, now if you paid a little bit attention to placement he will fly over a cliff or down somewhere (most points do have such possibilities)then switch to scepter and as soon as he gets near again root him with 3, when he comes near you press shield 5 then you could be able to switch back to hammer (depending on how far he flew away and how many cliffs down) and press 5 and even afterwards 3 again.

Now you will think (but then i have to make so many things just for the engi and there have to be so many circumstances in order to be succsessful.

Maybe, but there is no need to manage all of the above, just after hitting the 3 of scepter the point is neutral, and he cant do anything against that. Specially because he has mostly knockdowns which do not allow him to gain control back, repeate it after all is ready again and the point will be yours.

This all granted that no thief comes to the party and oneshots you after all your def CDs are used

Just give it a try, works all the time for me =)

PS: An important sidenote: Hit Shield 5 and then run / jump or something to abort it fast and switch weapons for Hammer 5, so you have enough time for that really slow castanimation.

in Guardian

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

Here’s how I handle any class who utilizes heavy CC:

My weapon skills are comprised of the GS and Staff. Two runes of water, two of monk and two of strength for maximum boon duration. 0/5/30/30/5 for my traits, Sigils of battle and endurance spread across each weapon. This setup will not only keep them from smacking me around but will help me use their conditions against them. Engies tend to have close range stuns so utilizing your staff at range is key since the damage from empower actually makes this weapon very viable. A quick eye and decent reflexes always helps but this build will almost always ensure victory.