Guardian/Warrior questions

in Guardian

Posted by: Rislo.6293

Rislo.6293

Hi guys,
And yes….another one of these. Lol.(I posted on Warr forums as well :-/ )
I’ve spent a fair amount of time trying the different profs of the game and finally narrowed it down. My main will be an Ele, simply because of their versality in so many situations. BUT, i get burnt out quick and I want a melee driven class. (Hated thief, btw)
So anyways, I have some questions and I’ll try to explain my interests.
I like the in-your-face, aggressive style of the warrior, but I’ve had a good number of ppl talk about how they get boring. Tying in with that, I’d like to know about their versatility from any that know. Oh, and I’ll mainly be running dungeons, MAYBE eventually WvW once I get a better grip of things.
Perhaps some pros and cons of the Guardian class from the experienced players? Especially if you have any knowledge of Warriors, they’re pros and cons will be appreciated.
My main worry with Guardians is I’d like to play it more aggressively (a lil more offense-oriented); though I know they do not compare to Warriors DPS, how DO they fare DPS-wise?
-So I suppose in a nutshell:Guardian- Versatility? Offensive prowess? i.e. basically, can I hurt some stuff or will it take forever to knock a dent in something? And fun-factor.

-And for those that have time as a Warrior: Do warriors get boring, because I don’t wanna be like the unfortunate ones that have hit 80 and wished to God they rolled something different. And their survivability, i.e. Dungeons?Versatility?
Thanks so much, guys, and sorry ahead of time for another thread like this :-/

Thanks so much guys, and sorry for another one of these threads. The others I’ve read didn’t exactly touch on the topics I’m curious on.

(edited by Rislo.6293)

in Guardian

Posted by: MasterMoose.6034

MasterMoose.6034

Guardians can perform pretty nice DPS as it turns out. Not as bursty as Warriors, but our sustainable DPS is quite good. And we’re very versatile. DPS to Control to Healing to Support and all the hybrids in between (but then again, we’re not the only ones). I would say that we’re the most well-rounded out of all of the classes. And personally, the fun factor is way up there. A flashy heavy armored front-liner.

in Guardian

Posted by: Rislo.6293

Rislo.6293

Guardians can perform pretty nice DPS as it turns out. Not as bursty as Warriors, but our sustainable DPS is quite good. And we’re very versatile. DPS to Control to Healing to Support and all the hybrids in between (but then again, we’re not the only ones). I would say that we’re the most well-rounded out of all of the classes. And personally, the fun factor is way up there. A flashy heavy armored front-liner.

Ahh, that’s great to hear! That seems like what I may be looking for. Thank you very much for the response

in Guardian

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

[Damage]
Warrior’s burst damage is unmatched, Hundred Blades + Whirlwind Attack are awesome if you like seeing big numbers.

Guardian’s base attacks are stronger by comparison, the Greatsword’s auto-attack hits pretty hard but the skills aren’t as strong as the Warrior’s.

So Guardians have a decent sustained DpS, Warriors have a more bursty DpS. Untraited.
Properly traited, Warriors get a huge boost to overall DpS so even their sustained DpS will be on par with a Guardian’s and they still get to keep more burst.

[Control]
Most Guardian’s control skills come from weapon skills instead of the Warrior’s utility skills (mostly).
This means less damage for the Guardian but more control, and more damage for the Warrior but less control.

[Support]
Both grant decent support, though a Guardian is a more defensive support while the Warrior’s more offensive. Pretty obvious eh.
They can support defensively/offensively as well, but they’re not as good as the other.

[Healing]
Guardians have plenty of small heals that helps keeping you up for a long time, the longer the fight, the better for the Guardian.
Warriors have less of these small heals but they can option to burst heal with traits/utilities. The longer the fight, the worse for the Warrior as he doesn’t have many good options of sustaining his health for too long.

[Ranged]
Guardians sucks. Pretty bad. It is manageable for PvE, but is inviable for PvP (especially WvW). Guardians are heavy melee powerhouses, but anything that goes mid-range makes your power decreases by a tenth.
This means you’re prone to kiting as a Guardian, but this is where player skill comes in.

Warriors doesn’t have it great either, but their ranged options are decent. Weaker than a Ranger/Elementalist or other heavy ranged profession of course, but they do well for what they have.
Heavy single hits or AoEs and pretty long ranges with Rifles/Longbows (traited).

[Utilities]
Guardians have awesome defensive utilities, the best by far being Wall of Reflection. For 10 seconds every 40 seconds, you create a Wall that reflects any projectile that hits it. Traited, it’s 12 seconds every 32 seconds.
This is awesome in WvW and works great when fighting ranged professions as well, as they can’t damage you with anything other than ground-targetted (which you’re supposed to avoid).
I feel kinda bad about this because it feels this skill alone makes up for all the disadvantages the profession has… but it still is awesome.
Guardians can grant Stability consistently for a group, this is a boon that negates stuns and other forms of controls. This is huge in PvP.

Warriors don’t have anything as flashy as these Guardians’ skills, but their attributes/offensive utilities makes up for it in my opinion.
They can also get Stability, but with a longer CD and only for themselves (but longer duration per CD if traited).
They can walk around with nearly permanent Swiftness and Fury, and they’ll always have at least 3 stacks of Might at all times. It’s not uncommon to see a properly traited Warrior stacking up 20~ stacks of Might by himself (dunno if this was fixed).

[Conclusion]
If you want a more defensive profession, with less damage (but still decent damage), heavy melee, weak ranged, low health but with tons of healing, crappy mobility, good group support and Wall of Reflection (this skill is awesome have I told you this?), pick the Guardian. You’re literally a walking mini-fortress.

If you want a more offensive profession with stupidly overpowered burst and attributes, walking around with every offensive boon possible, tons of health but little healing, decent ranged and decent mobility, good to great group support (as it’s all about damage), pick the Warrior. You’re a Juggernaut that can take down someone else (or groups) in seconds if they’re careless.

in Guardian

Posted by: ArtemisEntreri.4138

ArtemisEntreri.4138

My suggestion is to go out there and check out some videos on Youtube of both classes and see if you find your playstyle based on what they do. Only you know how you like to play and I am sure there are others out there sharing your views.

Guardian / Warrior / Thief / Necromancer
Black Gate – Immortals of the Mist [IoM]

in Guardian

Posted by: buki.3108

buki.3108

Since there’s already a thread for questions I won’t make a new one:

How often does Cleansing Flame remove conditions from allies? Is it every tick (10 removals?)

Does it only remove a condition from one ally at a time, or can it remove conditions from up to 5 allies every tick?

in Guardian

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guardians are the best ranged class in the game, at least for PvE. Warrior is probably the worst. I don’t know where this comparison is coming from. Smite is probably the best DPS skill in the game bar none (its base damage is the same as HB and it’s a 1H weapon so you get two sigils) and staff is amazing in PvP due to the fact that the wide cone on Wave of Wrath is pretty much impossible to avoid without dodging, so you can just chip your opponent down while healing yourself constantly with Orbs.

in Guardian

Posted by: Mazer.8923

Mazer.8923

Ill agree that for pve I love the scepter and its uses. In wvw/pvp it’s pretty crappy but back to pve. For single target smite is great if the mob stays still or if you hold it in place. However the warriors rifle is right there as well (huge killshot crits as well). For groups of mobs the scepter gets overshadowed by the warriors longbow in a big way. The dmg fom smite goes down considerably while the longbow lays down combo fields for your allies to take advantage of and does some aoe dmg as well. Staff is great in cettain situations but I wouldnt run around with it out all the time. Not when there are much better options for what im doing.

in Guardian

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Ill agree that for pve I love the scepter and its uses. In wvw/pvp it’s pretty crappy but back to pve. For single target smite is great if the mob stays still or if you hold it in place. However the warriors rifle is right there as well (huge killshot crits as well). For groups of mobs the scepter gets overshadowed by the warriors longbow in a big way. The dmg fom smite goes down considerably while the longbow lays down combo fields for your allies to take advantage of and does some aoe dmg as well. Staff is great in cettain situations but I wouldnt run around with it out all the time. Not when there are much better options for what im doing.

Kill Shot is a 2s channel for a skill that does less damage than Smite and burns all your adrenaline, causing you to deal less damage for a good while until you can build it back up. Not even a comparison. It’s pretty much purely for WvW when the target probably can’t even see you due to culling.

Meanwhile longbow does less damage to a single target, with a slower attack, than staff does in AOE, and otherwise only has one skill that does any real damage, and it does less than either of the guardian’s two skills. The longbow’s only real purpose is to make fire field blast finishers, but one blast finisher every ten seconds at the cost of doing pretty much no damage isn’t really worth it considering the staff can regularly output 12 stacks of might with a tidy heal attached.

in Guardian

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

I’d just like to add that you can’t kite a Guardian. First, we have plenty of gap closers. Second, we have plenty of CC abilities. And third, kiting relies on inflicting conditions, which Guardians eat like treats.

Personally, I mained an elementalist and switched to Guardian. While eles are great fun, and offer unparalleled versatility, Guardians offer more freedom. Yes, freedom to play the game.

PvE, I regularly did content 5-6 levels above mine, I can solo champions any time if I feel like it, charge into a big group of undead and smite them all like some kind of gleaming thunder god…
With ele I could do none of that, even though the skill selection always kept things fresh.

However, if you often switch utilities and weapon sets depending on what you want to do, then playing a Guardian is far from boring. Despite being a heavy melee character, combat feels fluid and your attacks feel powerful. Plus, if you like being able to charge in and save people in the nick of time, Guardian is just perfect for that.

In WvW, any class is interesting to play since the enemies you fight are always different and unpredictable. But again, to me Guardian offers better freedom… you can solo supply camps more easily, you can survive zerg fights better and generally you have a wider range of options available to you on the fly, without having to switch builds/gear around.

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

in Guardian

Posted by: Mazer.8923

Mazer.8923

Kill Shot is a 2s channel for a skill that does less damage than Smite and burns all your adrenaline, causing you to deal less damage for a good while until you can build it back up. Not even a comparison. It’s pretty much purely for WvW when the target probably can’t even see you due to culling.

Meanwhile longbow does less damage to a single target, with a slower attack, than staff does in AOE, and otherwise only has one skill that does any real damage, and it does less than either of the guardian’s two skills. The longbow’s only real purpose is to make fire field blast finishers, but one blast finisher every ten seconds at the cost of doing pretty much no damage isn’t really worth it considering the staff can regularly output 12 stacks of might with a tidy heal attached.

I had some other points typed up but I could see that this is going nowhere. I love my guardian and his ranged options, such as they are. But I also see the merit and uses in other classes ranged options.