Guardian build that's a Tank and not an APC

in Guardian

Posted by: trianglecubed.3750

trianglecubed.3750

No, seriously.

Can we get a guardian tank build that’s actually like a tank, you know, lots of damage and hard to kill, instead of like an APC, no damage, hard to kill, and support for the squishies?

I keep seeing all these “Guardian Tank/healer” posts all over the place, but I don’t wanna play an APC, I wanna play a darn tank.

Any ideas on builds that would actually let me be a tanky tank? Damage, survivability, armor, all in one convenient package?

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Make a warrior/bzerker or a Rev, that is your build.

Guard/DH , tanks in pve and against bad players.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in Guardian

trianglecubed.3750

Aeolus, your sig says everything one needs to know about you. You think guards are a joke and are just here to troll the guard forms.

You didn’t answer me seriously so I’m not even going to bother with you.

in Guardian

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

What gamemode are we talking here?

in Guardian

Posted by: Moonsinn.5382

Moonsinn.5382

You honestly will find more what you are looking for with warrior. Guardian has always been support based.

Aethelweard Rex – Guard
Trist Lockwood – Thief
Aelius Swift – Warrior

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Aeolus, your sig says everything one needs to know about you. You think guards are a joke and are just here to troll the guard forms.

You didn’t answer me seriously so I’m not even going to bother with you.

you are new here, my bad i was to direct with my response, but you will learn.

Guardian is a damage gimmick class that has some defensive skills, it is not a viable option has u described, what u asked is the role or Warriors/bzerker and Ravenants.
Even for PVE (wich i dont play) the best option u have for damage and tank is hammer with full dps stats, since hammer auto atack 3rd skill aplyes protection in aoe, utilities come and go depending the situation, reflect, traps for more damage etc, but in pve anything works its a matter of doing stuff faster or slower due build optimizations to counter mobs.

And no im not a forum troll, if u think guardian is a class that u can do all of that its u that migh be trolling or hoping to much of this class, Warrior is even a true APC compared with guardian, due its passive regen and high vitality, still warrior in glass armors is sturdier than a guardian and has more direct damage skills.

you will understand the signature when u have learned what works toplay and what does not work even in pve…

And btw u should have asked first before why i was stating other classes instead of acusing some of trolling since this game dont even have tanks, also those guardian healing builds only work in some places.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in Guardian

trianglecubed.3750

Thinking PVE, maybe raid capable?

Though I’m sure others wouldn’t mind a PVP tanker build, either, if you’ve got that up your sleeve.

in Guardian

cranos.5913

Though I’m sure others wouldn’t mind a PVP tanker build, either, if you’ve got that up your sleeve.

Raid tanks don’t have to take that much damage tho. In fact except for Xera I’ve tanked on a full dps guard with only a single +5 toughness infusion. Your “tankyness” comes from active mitigation like dodges/blocks.

in Guardian

trianglecubed.3750

You honestly will find more what you are looking for with warrior. Guardian has always been support based.

Yet surely it can’t be impossible for a Guard, right? Like.. there has to be some combo of gear, runes, sigils, abilities, etc, etc, to make a real tanker build instead of a tank-support build.

in Guardian

trianglecubed.3750

Raid tanks don’t have to take that much damage tho. In fact except for Xera I’ve tanked on a full dps guard with only a single +5 toughness infusion. Your “tankyness” comes from active mitigation like dodges/blocks.

Really? That’s interesting to know. But that still doesn’t help with a build. If you’ve raid tanked with what you’ve got I’d love to hear about it!

in Guardian

cranos.5913

Really? That’s interesting to know. But that still doesn’t help with a build. If you’ve raid tanked with what you’ve got I’d love to hear about it!

http://qtfy.enjin.com/guardian

Scroll down to the hammer build. It’s gonna be at a huge disadvantage at xera tho since ideally you wanna tank her at the edge of the arena. Never tried since chronos are much better tanks in raids anyway.

in Guardian

trianglecubed.3750

http://qtfy.enjin.com/guardian

Scroll down to the hammer build. It’s gonna be at a huge disadvantage at xera tho since ideally you wanna tank her at the edge of the arena. Never tried since chronos are much better tanks in raids anyway.

Cool! Thanks a bunch. I really appreciate your input.

in Guardian

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

lots of damage and hard to kill

Game designers typically avoid giving both of those qualities to the same build. It causes balance issues if you do.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in Guardian

trianglecubed.3750

lots of damage and hard to kill

Game designers typically avoid giving both of those qualities to the same build. It causes balance issues if you do.

Oh, I see. They’re happy to give you tiny damage and the ability to pretty much not be killed, but not the ability to be /hard/ to kill and hit hard… like virtually every Elite and above already has.

Brilliant!

in Guardian

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

Honestly if you want to be damage absorbtion tanky in PvE and just be capable of absorbing monstrous amounts of hurt…Necro is your best bet, especially reaper. Assuming you take various chilling options and the -damage on chill.

in Guardian

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

I started guardian with a build like what you were talking about. I used meditations alot with Monk’s focus, and the added self heal made soloing stuff pretty easy. Combine with Viper gear, GS, maybe sword/torch, and the appropriate traitlines, and you should be good to go.

in Guardian

Posted by: Sigfodr.9576

Sigfodr.9576

Here are my 2 DH tank builds for raids (very similar)

On VG I go:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAS8ensABlChddCGCBkdiFGi6qYbgAArCSuSQu4P+qH-TxBBABB8EAwa/RJWXKPyT3AAXEgKV/5MlgkBQfBA-e

And on gors:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAS8ensABlChddCGCBkdil4BDbJ8f2CVBgtU9Se/1/WgA-TxBBAB5pboLlHYt/oELgnAAAXEgzUCWp6PkCYgFAA-e

Pros:
– Close to max dmg output
– Over 1400 thoughness, letting your war’s ress without taking agro
– Perma proc to 5 people
– Tons of cc
– Aegis for blue circles on VG and stomps on gors
– Small but nice extra heal for 5 people to make scholar buff easyer
– EASY rotation (more or less just 1111) letting you focus 100% on tanking/mechanics

Cons:
– You lose abit more dmg from tanking on DH compared to what a chrono lose, but since the rotation is so easy its easy and let your chronos focus on rotation.
– not meta, so harder to get a pug group to take you

Extra:
– Notice the difference between the VG and the gors build. The VG build is less dmg, but more tanky. And ill let you tank at VG even if your healer ignore you. At gors you take less dmg and can therefore take the build with more dmg and less tankyness.
– In swap I placed svord/shild, you can take any other weapon like scepter, mace, focus, torch and what you want here depend on the fight and your group. You will be on hammer 99% of the time though so….

in Guardian

Posted by: Klowdy.3126

Klowdy.3126

I have no problem with my bunker build, an I’m not that great at pvp. That being said, I agree with Moonsinn. I’ve always felt with our low health pool we were more on the support side of the game design. What build are you using?

in Guardian

Posted by: DarKNesS.3156

DarKNesS.3156

No, seriously.

Can we get a guardian tank build that’s actually like a tank, you know, lots of damage and hard to kill, instead of like an APC, no damage, hard to kill, and support for the squishies?

I keep seeing all these “Guardian Tank/healer” posts all over the place, but I don’t wanna play an APC, I wanna play a darn tank.

Any ideas on builds that would actually let me be a tanky tank? Damage, survivability, armor, all in one convenient package?

I get what you’re trying to say by “tank”.. but traditionally in MMOs or games in general the tanks don’t do that much dmg… they are supposed to take a lot of punishment, support skills either included or not included. And guardians can take a lot of punishment like you mentioned.

If you want something that does a LOT of damage AND can tank a lot of damage, that is not a “tank” character, thats pretty much a jack of all trades, the closest would be a warrior who can do decent dmg and still take punishment. That being said the ones that are really topping the charts in terms of damage are elementalist and thieves so to make a tank that does a lot of damage is nigh on impossible. If you were to do as much damage as a thief / elementalist right now, but also take a lot more punishment than they do (along with all the support that guardian naturally has through virtues) what are they gonna provide that’s different?

in Guardian

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

As mentioned above Berserker Warrior makes a better “Tank” than a guardian. You can have more HP, more Armor and keep your high damage better than any guardian can. The high HP,Armor coupled with double Endure Pain and Berserker Stance is the very definition of being able to tank damage. And meanwhile you can go crazy damage on the enemy.

You can make a good dps,tanky build on Guard but it will be inferior to what the warrior can do.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in Guardian

Posted by: cletiscake.9173

cletiscake.9173

Just gunna leave this here. I think you will find everything you’re looking for here.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/Tank-Healing-Guardian-Build/first#post6316398