Guardian secondary class speculation

in Guardian

Posted by: Lord Rheios.4152

Lord Rheios.4152

I kindof want to see mainhand torch. And maybe something with a witch-hunter like theme. Especially to go along with the new anger towards the sylvari that Rytlock is touting. Maybe make the mainhand torch a condition focus with attacks that deal burning, torment, and maybe bleeding? I had an example concept posted up a long time ago in a different forum. Might pull it up later and post it here.

That and, honestly, I want to be a fire-blasting heretic-hunting zealot on my guard. If I can shout “FOR THE KHAN-UR!!” like a friggin’ world relevant, Charr, Imperial Space Marine I’d be pleased.

in Guardian

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

Would be cool with the spear skill on land, since it has some range if I remember right.

But also, i just really want spears or polearms on land, so i’m biased. :P

in Guardian

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I think it’s gonna be axe to start off with. Some kind of inquisitor or something?

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

in Guardian

Posted by: Assic.2746

Assic.2746

I think that guardian won’t get pistols nor rifle in this expansion.

Guardian resembles a mage so I think they won’t give us “mechanical” weapons.

(edited by Assic.2746)

in Guardian

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

I just find it odd that the Guardian in the HoT picture is shown with a shield in his main hand. Give artist’s an inch…

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in Guardian

Posted by: Assic.2746

Assic.2746

I just find it odd that the Guardian in the HoT picture is shown with a shield in his main hand. Give artist’s an inch…

This image of guardian is just flipped horizontally. It means nothing.

in Guardian

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

To me I see two possible specs:

1) paragon / monk
More shouts, more support. Spears & speed. The ultimate support class.

2) avenger
The DPS counter-part to spec 1. More power and burst. Axes & access to many more conditions

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

I want the ultimate support class. :0

in Guardian

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

Inquisitor – Pistol/Pistol

or call it demonhunter/xxxhunter/whatever. for guardian i’m definitely for something like that.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Guardian

Posted by: Anthony.8056

Anthony.8056

I hope we get a longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: creepmatic.9435

creepmatic.9435

I hope we get a longbow

Long Bow is cool and all, but I hope that is not what our specialization brings to the profession.

in Guardian

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

We’re not likely to see off-hand weapons used as main hand weapons – those weapons have long been cheaper to acquire at various vendors.

I really don’t see bows being the first thing they put in front of Guardians as a new toy. I’d consider off-hand sword a much more likely candidate than either bow.

The strongest thematic choice is still terrestrial spear because the art assets already exist and the class’ strong thematic connection to GW1 Paragons, but even without it being spear, having yet another class out-archer Rangers just doesn’t seem like a grenade Anet would be eager to throw themselves on .

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Guardian

Posted by: Tron.3471

Tron.3471

Well we know it isnt going to be a spear because Colin said that spears are staying underwater. With that, i think its most likely going to be either sword offhand or axe mainhand. But I do think it would be cool to have a longbow.

in Guardian

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

Guardian - Crusader, gets warhorn, mechanic F1-F3 changes to condition based next attack offensive (similar to Thief Venoms)

in Guardian

Posted by: Hattoni.8597

Hattoni.8597

Bow is quite a possible option, because the only thing guardian really lacks is range. We also need conditions, working bunker/very defensive build as well as some more swiftness, but range is the most needed thing now.

in Guardian

Nike.2631

Well we know it isnt going to be a spear because Colin said that spears are staying underwater.

Any link for that? Everything I’ve seen was of the “there will be no new weapons” variety without addressing spears. I’d love to watch something unambiguous about it.

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

The thing is, the guardian lacks a lot… it’s hard to predict what Anet will do.
Torch is offense
Focus is off/def
Shield is defense
Warhorn. ?

I see us getting Axe/Warhorn
Axe giving us bleeds and torment… warhorn being a support type offhand. But then Anet would pick lack of condition diversity over lack of range attacks. Our specialization being team focused, boons/buffs and condi aoe options…

No clue but I rather get a bow if that was the case…

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Tron.3471

Well we know it isnt going to be a spear because Colin said that spears are staying underwater.

Any link for that? Everything I’ve seen was of the “there will be no new weapons” variety without addressing spears. I’d love to watch something unambiguous about it.

Here you go. It was in an interview with Colin during the PAX east after party:

We talked polearms. No polearms in this expansion. Colin said “We warned the art team what the community would think when they saw the trailer, but they chose to make things the way they did.” It looks like a polearm but it is not. No word if they ever will be.

And here is the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2tsiox/pax_afterparty_lessons_learned/

I mean i guess you can argue whether or not polarms are the same as spears but to me, it means no spears on land. There was also a video where either MattVisual or WoodanPotatos mention an interview about spears on land but I haven’t found it again yet.

in Guardian

Nike.2631

Polearms are a completely different set of weapons in the database. And I’m totally with you on that, they aren’t going to expend the effort to flesh out polearms art for every set that would be required. Hence “no new weapons”. Spears aren’t a new weapons. They don’t require a bunch of iteration to meet the skins requirement.

It may very well mean no spears on land. But I’d like to find it put in those terms rather than being left to infer from something that doesn’t actually say that. I’ll watch the interview again. Maybe something will pop out at me in review. Thanks for the link.

(Its not really critical either way. We’ll get new toys and that’s the main thing .)

in Guardian

Tron.3471

Yea I hear you. I’m remaining hopeful for the guardian and hopefully they will actually release some meaningful updates about HoT soon. Maybe we will all be surprised.

in Guardian

Posted by: Tskales.2804

Tskales.2804

Longbow would be awesome.

Blue magic arrows <3

“I’m sure glad that A-net is spending the 20 minutes or so that it would take to remove
the hobosack on making more important additions to the game.
Like golden pigs for the gem store” – Gern.2978

in Guardian

Posted by: Snakebyte.2804

Snakebyte.2804

Longbow would be awesome.

Blue magic arrows <3

Backline guardian new meta.

Gringo Pls, JQ Engineer

in Guardian

Posted by: Moldur.6275

Moldur.6275

Man, Guardian is a tough one!

Generally, I hope that the specializations offer a new way to play the class, rather than a furthering of its existing strengths. With that in mind, I think of guardians as being pretty defensively oriented. I’d like to see a Zealot specialization that swaps out all that yummy defense/boon stuff for aggressive DPS/condition oriented skills. Instead of Virtues giving boons, make them give conditions or DPS boons. If there is a new spear or polearm weapon type… that’d be the one! If not… maybe a shortbow or longbow?

<3

in Guardian

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

Well, looking through the trailer I noticed an asura guardian fighting a dragon. Its only a brief second but you can know it was a guardian because it had the trait Selfless Daring, which heals at the end of the roll. I recognized it and I looked at the trailer to see what weapon the guardian was using. It was non other then a pearl stinger. Aka, longbow.

in Guardian

phokus.8934

Nice observation! I think we all deep down inside know it’s going to be a longbow but hold out for maybe something different.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in Guardian

creepmatic.9435

Well, looking through the trailer I noticed an asura guardian fighting a dragon. Its only a brief second but you can know it was a guardian because it had the trait Selfless Daring, which heals at the end of the roll. I recognized it and I looked at the trailer to see what weapon the guardian was using. It was non other then a pearl stinger. Aka, longbow.

Like I replayed that bit over and over for 10 times, and couldn’t figure out what that asura was wielding, now it does kinda look like a pearl stinger. Too bad, at least some people will be happy.

in Guardian

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

Like I replayed that bit over and over for 10 times, and couldn’t figure out what that asura was wielding, now it does kinda look like a pearl stinger. Too bad, at least most people will be happy.

edited for you. then edited myself c ause i can’t edit ><

in Guardian

creepmatic.9435

Staff / LB guardian meta inc. More support at a even greater range now! GG

in Guardian

Fashion Mage.3712

Staff / LB guardian meta inc. More support at a even greater range now! GG

I’d gush so much if this was the case.

in Guardian

Tron.3471

Dang, looks like i need to watch that clip again. Thanks!

in Guardian

Tron.3471

So i just watched it several times and the flash that looks like selfless daring actually appears to be a Human Guardian using MI to port to the asura. The asura is clearly wielding a longbow as well. The flash occurs and the human appears, which wasn’t previously there. And the human is unfortunately wielding a greatsword….. I took a snapshot of it.

Here is a shot while the asura is dodging, notice no human.
http://imgur.com/AKngIzW

Near the end of the dodge, the human guardian appears to port in.
http://imgur.com/sk9Vc3l

in Guardian

Fashion Mage.3712

So i just watched it several times and the flash that looks like selfless daring actually appears to be a Human Guardian using MI to port to the asura.

That isn’t the graphic used for MI. MI has a more “cloudy” heal, Selfless Daring’s heal is more like a burst of light (as seen in your second image). Could be wrong though, I’ll have to look again later when I have more time.

(edited by Fashion Mage.3712)

in Guardian

Tron.3471

Even if its not MI, the female human is emitting the light and not the asura. And the human appeared from thin air from some teleporting ability.That part seems pretty clear.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

So i just watched it several times and the flash that looks like selfless daring actually appears to be a Human Guardian using MI to port to the asura. The asura is clearly wielding a longbow as well. The flash occurs and the human appears, which wasn’t previously there. And the human is unfortunately wielding a greatsword….. I took a snapshot of it.

Here is a shot while the asura is dodging, notice no human.
http://imgur.com/AKngIzW

Near the end of the dodge, the human guardian appears to port in.
http://imgur.com/sk9Vc3l

So I think you’re right and I’m wrong in this instance. Darn that’s confusing video editing. so we are back to square one then. hehe..

in Guardian

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

in Guardian

Fashion Mage.3712

in Guardian

phokus.8934

It’s like you didn’t even read the post right above yours…

in Guardian

Fashion Mage.3712

I certainly did read the post right above mine. I was pointing out a specific post within that thread that had a more convincing argument/proof than the opening post (imo), but apparently you were so narrow-sighted that you didn’t notice the difference between the two links?

in Guardian

phokus.8934

Or they could have read Khenzy’s as it clearly points it out in the beginning of the reddit post. Which is really more than enough than just regurgitating the same link with a close up of a horrifically pixelated animated gif.

in Guardian

Fashion Mage.3712

Or they could have read Khenzy’s as it clearly points it out in the beginning of the reddit post. Which is really more than enough than just regurgitating the same link with a close up of a horrifically pixelated animated gif.

I did read it, it was very informative, so thank you for the link Khenzy. :0
The post I linked helped show that it was a Charr guardian because the “horrifically pixelated animated gif” helped make the character’s tail (and attack animation) more noticeable. He then recorded his warrior(?) Charr doing an identical animation with a bow, thus reinforcing the fact that it was in fact a bow that the Charr guardian was using. If you realized this without the post I linked to, then good for you sweetie! On the other hand, I didn’t realize it immediately (I thought it was a human and I wasn’t sure which weapon he/she was using), and I only realized it when I saw that post.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

An offensive Monk using a bow & spiritually charged arrows would be nice.

in Guardian

Khenzy.9348

This may also be relevant to your insterests (also posted on reddit): https://archive.moe/vg/thread/37561461/#37655720

(Please check out the date of the post before any judgement calls! It’s been said the poster has been legit before)

(edited by Khenzy.9348)

in Guardian

Posted by: Isarii.2804

Isarii.2804

This may also be relevant to your insterests (also posted on reddit): https://archive.moe/vg/thread/37561461/#37655720

(Please check out the date of the post before any judgement calls! It’s been said the poster has been legit before)

While I’m highly skeptical, I would absolute love what he’s describing there.

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

R.i.p scepter/focus. Then again, 3 blocks and Ray of Judgement is still hard to give up..

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Fashion Mage.3712

While I’m highly skeptical, I would absolute love what he’s describing there.

Same, in fact I’ve been hoping that a longbow for guardians would be like that for quite awhile now. It’d fit everyone who wants a long-ranged support weapon, as well as everyone who wants a long-ranged damage weapon for the guardian.

The date of those posts are really old, but it’d be great if it was true.

Edit: Considering that he also guessed that engineers are getting hammers, and considering that the auto-attack he describes for hammer engis sounds identical to the one in the trailer, it kind of seems like he’s telling the truth.

in Guardian

Khenzy.9348

^He also said his screen was all covered up with his E-mail watermarked, that’s why he didn’t post any pictures. As someone who played vanilla closed beta I can confirm that to be true.

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

This is really exciting. I can’t wait to see the new LB guardian skills, if this is true

I really want a LB or land spear.

Sorry for my english.

(edited by Mikau.6920)

in Guardian

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

in Guardian

Posted by: Adrianicus Shield.6803

Adrianicus Shield.6803

What about dragonhunter ?

in Guardian

Posted by: Hattoni.8597

Hattoni.8597

So now we should start discussion what kind of skills will we get. I think it’s going to be longbow with many condition options or very support boon weapon. I think it’s not going to be pure dps/very fast assassin-like weapon, it just doesnt fit guardian well for me.
Or maybe devs will surprise us this time and so they will give us something completely unpredictable.