Guardian shout "Save Yourself"

in Guardian

Posted by: Marcel.4635

Marcel.4635

I feel like this skill doesn’t reward the user for proper use. the boons received are great and all but i get these whether i remove 5 conditions, 1 condition or none at all. i understand that proper use will remove more conditions from my allies but these aren’t actually “removed” but merely transferred to me so you could argue that the more conditions i remove the less useful i become for those few seconds. i know the buffs received are meant to counteract the conditions but these buffs are given regardless of how many conditions i remove. i think something that would scale with more conditions removed will make guardians want to use this skill to remove as many conditions as can. e.g. increase duration off boons up to a cap or decrease the duration of the conditions by X% or something that would reward for using this skill properly. any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

in Guardian

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

It’s kinda all in the wiki.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/%22Save_Yourselves!%22

a) you are taking conditions from up to 5 allies
b) you can convert those conditions again into boons if you use contemplation of purity
c) with altruistic healing you heal yourself with this skill

I’m not a number cruncher so I never checked how much it heals for with altruistic healing for example but it’s a good group skill and even works nicely solo since you are not drawing any conditions.

Edit: Maybe I’m not getting your point? I just think it’s a good skill and it’s most often on my bar.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

(edited by Rouven.7409)

in Guardian

Posted by: rajule.8054

rajule.8054

It’s kinda all in the wiki.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/%22Save_Yourselves!%22

a) you are taking conditions from up to 5 allies
b) you can convert those conditions again into boons if you use contemplation of purity
c) with altruistic healing you heal yourself with this skill

I’m not a number cruncher so I never checked how much it heals for with altruistic healing for example but it’s a good group skill and even works nicely solo since you are not drawing any conditions.

Edit: Maybe I’m not getting your point? I just think it’s a good skill and it’s most often on my bar.

but thats what he’s saying. you get all the same benefits whether you take allies conditions or not so why would you hurt yourself by using it near them.

I like getting boons from it even solo but I agree there should be some reward for using it as it was intended, maybe the boons you receive have a longer duration per condition you transfer.

in Guardian

Posted by: Periclitor.1892

Periclitor.1892

The purpose for it is not to give yourself boons however. The main purpose of the shout is to save your allies from kitten loads of conditions. The boons you give yourself is a added effect to help you negate the condition you absorb.

People do however use it as a boon shout and that is the main problem of it right now.
For when people do use it and are not expecting to get debuffed like there is no tomorrow. And that is why we call it “Kill myself”.

Sure use it for the boons, but remember. The skill is meant to absorb condition to aid allies. Not to work as a solo multiplier.

Periclltor – Guardian
Account and Char® name could
be the same, Profanity!?

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

If u use it with Soldier Runes and Pure of Voice you can use this skill freely. Even better if you a shout based build. Also you can combo Save Yourselves with Contemplation of Purity.

Sorry for my english.

in Guardian

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I think it’s great that it has its use and purpose in more than one scenario.

Why trying to say what is the proper use and which is not?

So is the purpose of purging flames just to cure conditions and it shouldn’t be used to burn foes?

Edit: Ok, I’ve been thinking about this some more and I can see now where you are coming from – perhaps not a bad idea because it would be an incentive also to wait for the right moment, although I think most people wait for a maximum amount of conditions regardless – or they should (?).

However, I don’t feel that this (increasing boon duration for example based on how many conditions you draw) would make guardians want to use this skill more then already. Either you have the mindset in a group to help out and “suffer” the conditions (or utilize the added benefit of turning them into boons anyways) or not.

In terms of decreasing the condition duration on yourself … not sure, most conditions are relatively short already – what would be appropriate?

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

(edited by Rouven.7409)

in Guardian

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

It’s a toss up skill for the very reasons mentioned. I like it, when I roll with a large group in WvW, but I play a cleric set and have good survival. If you don’t like the skill don’t take it. I was once informed by a guild leader of a guild I was in not to take it as the drawbacks can be too harsh.

It’s just a toss up skill. To improve it I feel would be to totally change it. Is that something anet should do? Doesn’t matter to me, so maybe a good discussion on what to do with it might merit official thoughts.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in Guardian

Posted by: Marcel.4635

Marcel.4635

The purpose for it is not to give yourself boons however. The main purpose of the shout is to save your allies from kitten loads of conditions.

Sure use it for the boons, but remember. The skill is meant to absorb condition to aid allies. Not to work as a solo multiplier.

This is exactly my point. Guardians aren’t rewarded for using the shout to remove as many conditions as possible. it doesn’t matter how i use this skill the bonuses i receive for using this skill are always constant (buffs and their duration) this makes me think “why does it matter if i remove 1 or 5 conditions? okay if i remove 5 i help my allies more but hinder myself more. (as to removing 1)” if i’m rewarded for removing more conditions it will make
me think “I transferred 5 conditions onto me but the extra bonuses i receive for removing this many conditions will mean i’m happy to do this”

you’re right in saying i’m aiding allies but i’m also hindering myself unless i run contemplation of purity which i believe shouldn’t need to be used with this skill if i want to reward myself for removing more conditions.

in Guardian

Posted by: MercenaryK.4180

MercenaryK.4180

The purpose for it is not to give yourself boons however. The main purpose of the shout is to save your allies from kitten loads of conditions.

This is exactly my point. Guardians aren’t rewarded for using the shout to remove as many conditions as possible. it doesn’t matter how i use this skill the bonuses i receive for using this skill are always constant (buffs and their duration) this makes me think “why does it matter if i remove 1 or 5 conditions? okay if i remove 5 i help my allies more but hinder myself more. (as to removing 1)” if i’m rewarded for removing more conditions it will make
me think “I transferred 5 conditions onto me but the extra bonuses i receive for removing this many conditions will mean i’m happy to do this”

you’re right in saying i’m aiding allies but i’m also hindering myself unless i run contemplation of purity which i believe shouldn’t need to be used with this skill if i want to reward myself for removing more conditions.

Seldom are the Guardians skills about rewarding itself over assisting party members. It isn’t a selfish class, but a selfless class.

The Paragon in GW1 has a skill called Cautery Signet, in which all conditions are removed from all party members, but you gain 1 second of burning for each condition removed. This skill by itself is crappy when more and more conditions are removed because now you’re enduring massive health degen for quite a long time – as conditions could be very rampant in GW. But by using Remedy Signet, you lose one condition, and that would remove your burning.

So to say it is dumb to have to carry CoP when using SY! is stupid in of itself – this game is designed to utilize multiple skills in unison for amazing affects. To desire a utility skill that has no loop holes or totally sufficient in all ways is not the theme of the game. About all skills are empowered by another skill or trait in some way.

CoP + SY! = Lots and lots of boons & boon duration for the Guardian. I don’t know of what other class can nullify party wide conditions, get boons from that skill, and then eat every one of those conditions into boons. from another skill. That’s why CoP and SY! are functioned that way. Once you start removing a ton of conditions you need CoP or other methods of condition removal otherwise you’re going to kill your self off.

It’s the role of the Guardian. I …….. didn’t think this was hard to realize.

in Guardian

Periclitor.1892

Sure it is not rewarding yourself if you absorb condition, but it is greatly rewarding the group if you do. As you absorb all conditions that means you can absorb more than the maximum ammount of stacks from your allies, but you will still only recive exactly that. The maximum ammount.

If you want a personal reward for taking the conditions, try using contemplation of purity afterwards.

Periclltor – Guardian
be the same, Profanity!?

in Guardian

Posted by: Ezekiel.1985

Ezekiel.1985

It’s a nice skill but honestly the cooldown is the reason I don’t use it. I prefer skills with more specific uses and applications on shorter cooldowns than an all-in-one on a 60s (base) cooldown.

in Guardian

MercenaryK.4180

It’s a nice skill but honestly the cooldown is the reason I don’t use it. I prefer skills with more specific uses and applications on shorter cooldowns than an all-in-one on a 60s (base) cooldown.

That’s how I feel at times when choosing between traits and skills. The skills with high CDs are often powerful but you have to sacrifice a trait for another trait that reduces the CD by 20%, which is rather lackluster when your chosen traits are primarily CD reduction, you begin to wonder if that 20% is really worth the trade off of another powerful trait.

in Guardian

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

strange.. I feel the reward every time I use it.

the other 4 people can use an attack instead of having to use a condi clense. the battle just got shorter. I can reset the conditions on everything and save the day. every little bit helps.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

in Guardian

Periclitor.1892

Other 5 people, it will absorb condition from five allies, not 4. As you are not one of the dude it absorbs from.

Periclltor – Guardian
be the same, Profanity!?

in Guardian

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

of course. I say other 4 because Im seldom in a group of more than 5 total. the number of targets doesn’t really matter. the mechanics are still relevant.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I use it with soldier runes and contemplation of purity, if i get many conditions( several 25 stacks of each condition as sometime happens in WvW is instant death lol), well pop up food with -40% condis and consecration with -20% condi.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Guardian

MercenaryK.4180

Another combination, while maybe not the best, is to use Smite Condition. It is only 1 condition but now you have more control in attaining the higher amount of damage, it can be lowered to 16s CD with a trait, and if you really like Meditations you can pop Fury.

Alas, that is futile if you manage like Aeolus says, which I have, and pull large stacks of conditions -_-

in Guardian

Periclitor.1892

Funny fact, Purging Flame tooltip say 20% but the buff you get say 33%, wonder witch one it is.

On a side note.
Zealot speed’s Symbol of wrath still states in the description that it gives switfness to allies rather than retaliation. So even after the tooltip fix we apparently got, i still see alot of tooltip that got nothing correct and or displaying wrong values.

Periclltor – Guardian
be the same, Profanity!?

(edited by Periclitor.1892)