Guardian with longbow

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Zenfluence.6387

Zenfluence.6387

I wouldn’t mind being able to shoot a fireball too lol! Take something away from Elementalists Staff skills

In all seriousness though, Longbow would be awesome but I think we will have to wait until an expansion comes if they are going to add weapons to Professions.

Ok ^this old but…might not be THAT crazy of an idea…

I’m thinking like add a Gauntlet like weapon that allows you to channel you’re Spirit-like energy into projectiles/explosions, or even Fists for a knockback melee attack?

Butyea I’m all for a Bow type weapon, Guardian is by far my fav class flavor wise…it just feels so “turtly” in this game having to be melee range for nearly everything. It’d just make PVE more enjoyable for me to be able to draw enemy attention from a decent distance.

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Zenfluence.6387

Zenfluence.6387

…or even go with the Spear/Polearm idea on land and have a decent long range auto attack and perhaps one other ranged skill. That’d be just fine with me.

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Shoryuken.9435

Shoryuken.9435

This forum post is just going in circles.

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

Personally, I think the whole “but but but, they were designed that way!!!1!” nonsense is made invalid by the fact that warriors have two very viable ranged options, which is another class that has been stated to be close-ranged.

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

It’s not invalid at all. Design considerations for warriors have nothing to do with those for Guardians. In fact, I think it’s a fallacy when people use other professions toolsets to justify improvements for another profession. The design considerations for Guardians are based on the concept of the profession, not some player-created mantra of what they think it should be.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Meow.5794

Meow.5794

I was just thinking…. someone shoud do a “Guardian Scepter Auto Attack Rework Request” and bring up that its very frustrating when the projectiles are moving slow and are so easy to avoid the enemies doesnt even have to evade to dodge em etc.?
the big reason why this “guardian with longbow” topic is so active is probably cuz our current alternatives are boring, unsatisfying and bad overall… oops I mean ALTERNATIVE cuz Guardians only got 1 kittenING ranged alternative :/

“Wow! the scepters projectiles are so slow, cool and interresting!” – No one Ever.

(edited by Meow.5794)

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Sierra.6352

Sierra.6352

I totally adore longbows in all their aspects, aswell as I adore guardians. Having a longbow for guardians… Even if it only had one skill, I would still use it!

And I agree… Having only 1 ranged weapon is… Not really that nice. =(

It takes body and soul, to reach your goal!

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

Forget Longbow, Guardians need Scythes. We’re essentially Dervishes so it makes sense all the same.

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

If you honestly think that i should have less fun in WvW because of my class choice then i don’t know what to tell you.

And if you can’t have fun in WvW except when dealing significant damage from range then I don’t know what to tell you.

At the moment i have no reason to do WvW on my guardian main when i can do it on my low level ranger and be a lot more useful to the team.

I imagine somewhere on the Ranger forum there’s a post in regards to Rangers needing heavy armor because they can’t survive focused enemy fire that reads:

“At the moment I have no reason to do WvW on my Ranger main when I can do it on my low level Guardian and be a lot more useful to the team.”

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: WolfHeart.1256

WolfHeart.1256

I disagree with the bow option too. What I would like to see (as an improvement to the Scepter if you will) is a homing ability for the orb. The speed is fine, but make it follow the target so they have to evade the attack, not just take a step to the left or to the right. Other than that I don’t see any problem with the Scepter as a ranged weapon.

[WOLF] Howlerin || Seafarer’s Rest
“They say you are what you eat.
Which is funny ‘cause I don’t remember eating a f.ing legend”

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Heinel.6548

Heinel.6548

We need assault rifles as a ranged aoe option. Punish by raining down magic bullets of spiritual flame.

“… but I hate the idea ‘It may not make sense at first’.
I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

I disagree with the bow option too. What I would like to see (as an improvement to the Scepter if you will) is a homing ability for the orb. The speed is fine, but make it follow the target so they have to evade the attack, not just take a step to the left or to the right. Other than that I don’t see any problem with the Scepter as a ranged weapon.

I concur. Either dramatically increase the speed or make it at least some what homing. Then we would be ok at range without being OP.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: pixieish.9627

pixieish.9627

We need assault rifles as a ranged aoe option. Punish by raining down magic bullets of spiritual flame.

What guardians need are heavy flamers. Suffer not the Xenos to… oh, wait, wrong game.

Reiseiji, Guardian, Fabulous Spec
Kaschen, Engi, Nerfed Spec
Devona’s Refugee, recently arrived to F.Aspenwood

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: sevtrisen.5247

sevtrisen.5247

Can’t I just have a Main-Hand Focus that makes me sling fireballs or rays of light like the #4 skill? :L

> And the animation would be like pointing at the enemy like the skills with the tome.

Heh, I can dream.

(edited by sevtrisen.5247)

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

Just because you’re bad with a scepter doesn’t mean it’s broken. You’re just bad with it. Scepter is an awesome ranged weapon, it just takes some actual thought to use as you have to plan enemy movements to maximize Smite. Also having an instant immobilize on someone is borderline OP. If you’re that desperate to have ranged maybe you should play a class that is more suited to that role.

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

Just because you’re bad with a scepter doesn’t mean it’s broken. You’re just bad with it. Scepter is an awesome ranged weapon.

No, no it’s not. I’ve played with the Scepter. I’ve given it a fair chance. It’s okay as a 300 ranged weapon. Passable at 600 range, because we don’t have another option. Anything further away from that, and it’s downright useless. The only redeeming factor is Chains of Light.
I’m glad that you enjoy the Scepter. I really am. But it’s not a good weapon. Especially not as our only ranged option.

And if I’m bad with the Scepter, tell me how to use it and I’ll give it another chance. I’m open to the possibility that it’s all just me.

“Come on, hit me!”

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Arken.3725

I used to be a fan of the hammer only finding it’s use on Khylo. I find my favorite to be the staff overall.

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Heinel.6548

I find my favorite to be the staff overall.

Troll…

I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Ynna.8769

I find my favorite to be the staff overall.

Troll…

:-) I like the Staff like I like Brütal Legend or the Harry Potter books. I like it more for what it could be than for what it actually is.

“Come on, hit me!”

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Setun.4368

The best way to utilize the scepter to your advantage I’ve found is for baiting. The projectiles are easy to dodge, but that’s part of their strength. If you can make someone dodge your autoattack and use up their endurance, just so you can follow up with a guarenteed immobilize via #3 followed by smite #2 immediately after, the combo possibilities while that person is immobilized are whatever you want to make it. I personally love doing that combo mentioned before, followed by using torch #5 at the same time. Smite is constantly hitting them, the aoe flame breath is likewise pummeling them, and if you cast zealot’s flame (torch #4) while #5 is channeling, you can use the 2nd effect for #4 immediately after #5’s channel is over. Against anything that isn’t a bunker build and depending on your build as well that combo for me will do anywhere between 40-70% of the person’s health while they’re just standing in place or just starting to run away. Plus the cooldowns on scepter skills are so fast that unless they gain serious distance from you you can easily pester them since the orb on scepters do have a slight homing ability. But like I mentioned before if you can bait your opponent(s) into wasting dodge rolls on the orb then more power to you as that leaves them that much more vulnerable to whatever moves you have planned.

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: tofus.4751

tofus.4751

They should make scepter #1 like the Necros scepter #1 or Mesmers GS #1. That would be awesome!

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: TheFiendishFiend.4057

TheFiendishFiend.4057

If ranged spears were implanted for the Guardian, you do realize that Anet would feel obligated to make all Guardians wear this:
https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/46931/Paragon.jpg
I, for one, don’t want to go back down that road.

~Lion~
Bearer of Tyrion’s Personal Banner, and[BOMB] GvG Officer

(edited by TheFiendishFiend.4057)

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Arken.3725

Or give us more melee options(scythe) if we’re going to stay melee-oriented. =)

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Heinel.6548

Scythes are already in game and guardians can use it.

- CCP Abraxis

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Arken.3725

Scythes are already in game and guardians can use it.

If only….8(

Edit: Not that bullcrap Staff skin.

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Heinel.6548

But the existance of the skin preclude the weapon type scythe from being added. They won’t introduce something that’s visually similar but functionally different. It’d be confusing for the masses.

- CCP Abraxis

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

The best way to utilize the scepter to your advantage I’ve found is for baiting. The projectiles are easy to dodge, but that’s part of their strength. If you can make someone dodge your autoattack and use up their endurance, just so you can follow up with a guarenteed immobilize via #3 followed by smite #2 immediately after, the combo possibilities while that person is immobilized are whatever you want to make it. I personally love doing that combo mentioned before, followed by using torch #5 at the same time. Smite is constantly hitting them, the aoe flame breath is likewise pummeling them, and if you cast zealot’s flame (torch #4) while #5 is channeling, you can use the 2nd effect for #4 immediately after #5’s channel is over. Against anything that isn’t a bunker build and depending on your build as well that combo for me will do anywhere between 40-70% of the person’s health while they’re just standing in place or just starting to run away. Plus the cooldowns on scepter skills are so fast that unless they gain serious distance from you you can easily pester them since the orb on scepters do have a slight homing ability. But like I mentioned before if you can bait your opponent(s) into wasting dodge rolls on the orb then more power to you as that leaves them that much more vulnerable to whatever moves you have planned.

If only they needed to dodge instead of just change direction every few seconds this would be valid…

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Lenneth.1372

Lenneth.1372

I’d love to have a support longbow for my Guardian. I hate using the scepter, its almost completely useless.

Gimme a healing AoE, some light fields, and a decent attack skill.

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

Longbow?

Just rework the scepter and Staff (Staff atm is not a Weapon, only a supportitem.. -.-). And/or add a ranged (dps/support) offhand (with 10-25sec Cooldowns to make it interresting).
Warhorn for example (yes, why not?, it´s magical!). Or change the torch into an ranged weapon, and add WH for meleecombat…

(edited by Norjena.5172)

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Arken.3725

But the existance of the skin preclude the weapon type scythe from being added. They won’t introduce something that’s visually similar but functionally different. It’d be confusing for the masses.

It’s only one skin, you could easily make up many more with a new weapon. Not many people even have it.

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Setun.4368

If only they needed to dodge instead of just change direction every few seconds this would be valid…

The projectiles actually track them and will hit them unless they go out of maximum range. You can technically move away from longbow/shortbow attacks as well if you’re at max range from the person firing it. If you change the playstyle of the weapon to play on its strengths rather than the strengths of another weapon type it works quite well actually.

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Ynna.8769

@Setun: That’s just not accurate. During a mobile fight, more attacks will miss than hit.
And no other weapon asks me to change my playstyle. Other weapons I can pick in function of my playstyle, which is how I feel it should be.

“Come on, hit me!”

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Heinel.6548

It’s only one skin, you could easily make up many more with a new weapon. Not many people even have it.

There are at least 2 confirmed. More than enough to set precedence. You’ll probably have more luck asking for a scythe like skin for hammer or gs. Melee weapons in gw2 cleave by default. Unless you can make a very strong case for a self strip boon mechanic to be made viable (or something more novel) there is nothing scythes can bring to the table.

- CCP Abraxis

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Heinel.6548

The projectiles actually track them and will hit them unless they go out of maximum range. You can technically move away from longbow/shortbow attacks as well if you’re at max range from the person firing it. If you change the playstyle of the weapon to play on its strengths rather than the strengths of another weapon type it works quite well actually.

You can argue that what others see as weakness you see as a strength. However in this case you are objectively wrong. The scepter requires a target to fire and the tracking is calculated base on your target’s direction and velocity at the point of fire. You have no input other than choosing the target. No matter your play style this is a flaw. Reason: You do not control this ability, your target does. If your play style revolves around turning on auto attack and then forget about it and hope your target gets hit, you are less effected by this flaw. You are still not being offensive however, as the scepter only hits when the target allows it. At best this is mild denial, but on a level worse than retaliation. This make the weapon undesirable in high level organized play, and un-viable as a ranged offensive option. There is still no other option so people often are still forced to use it, creating a lot of discontent.

This can be fixed by allowing us to manually aim the attack with camera when no targets are selected (same for staff 2, focus 4). I think projectile attacks with a curved trajectory can be shot without a target and can be partially aimed with character direction (bows fall in this category), so maybe straight line non-homing projectiles shooting the ground can be considered a bug. This is however up to Anet to decide.

- CCP Abraxis

(edited by Heinel.6548)

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Arken.3725

There are at least 2 confirmed. More than enough to set precedence. You’ll probably have more luck asking for a scythe like skin for hammer or gs. Melee weapons in gw2 cleave by default. Unless you can make a very strong case for a self strip boon mechanic to be made viable (or something more novel) there is nothing scythes can bring to the table.

I understand but i’m just speaking for new weapons in general. More are going to be released and I would love to have one.

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Sandra Martino.3870

Sandra Martino.3870

I`d like to see my future meteorlogicus shoot homing missiles that have a 20% chance of piercing (as in hitting again, effectively a "critical hit’ but different) as a combo finisher. To balance this, damage would need a 10-15% reduction.

An even easyer to code alternative would be simply making the orbs move as quick as longbow arrows. Wouldnt need a damage reduction as the interval between hits would still be the same. Resulting in the exact same dps as we do.

-

Behold, i just made guardians ranged-viable without making them overpowered. It took me 2 minuts. kitten i should get hired.

Still Feeling Lucky [PunK] – Gunnars Hold
Recruiting necros & guardians. Whisper ingame.

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: WolfHeart.1256

WolfHeart.1256

The best way to utilize the scepter to your advantage I’ve found is for baiting. The projectiles are easy to dodge, but that’s part of their strength. If you can make someone dodge your autoattack and use up their endurance, just so you can follow up with a guarenteed immobilize via #3 followed by smite #2 immediately after, the combo possibilities while that person is immobilized are whatever you want to make it

Reading your comments above, where people playing scepter are just bad…I’m not sure which part of your body you’re speaking through to be honest. Have you ever used your Guardian for anything else than smiting mobs around 1-15 areas?

The projectiles do not track anything unless the target is immobile, which in itself is not tracking. Just the fact that you waste 1 weapon slot for the purpose of baiting tells me alot about your experience because no way you waste someone’s endurance with scepter #1 =) The Scepter #1 is only effective at near-to-melee range. FACT.

Also, another fun FACT for your superb combo that you use over there on your max-range fights: #1 is 1200 range. Immobilize is 900.

And “technically” you can do many things. But practically, not. I’m the kind that practically plays the class, you must be the one that technically knows what it should do.

Going back to my original statement, the only thing that needs to be changed on Scepter is the #1 having a homing ability added to it’s projectiles. There’s nothing wrong with the other 2 skills and no one here said there was.

[WOLF] Howlerin || Seafarer’s Rest
“They say you are what you eat.
Which is funny ‘cause I don’t remember eating a f.ing legend”

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Arken.3725

Making smite an actual aoe skill would be nice. Turn it into a symbol and that’ll solve most problems and please many people.

Edit: Still despise the concept behind symbols but it is what it is.

(edited by Arken.3725)

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

how about longbow for guard that shoots like the ascalonion archers? I mean they shoot blue flaming aoe arrows like the warrior 3 skill.

Guards could have:
auto/1: Spirit Arrow: pierces through targets for x amount of dmg.
2: Burning smite: Aoe blast finisher that burns targets that get hit and cures 1 cond from allies.
3: Divine flames: Aoe fire field that causes burning to targets and cures 1 cond from allies on every pulse. Lasts for x amount of time.
4: Final Flash: Pierces through targets causing vuln for every target hit. ex: first target gets hit and takes 3 stacks of vuln then person behind takes same dmg but recieves 6 stacks of vuln. X amount of dmg.
5: Zealots Bane: Big aoe that heals allys within area and causes Vuln to targets within area for x amount of dmg. Lasts X amount of time.

This way Guardians could get another option for a burn build or a great ranged support weapon. It fits right in if i must say so and we would have a better ranged option.

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Sherman.4631

Sherman.4631

We can’t get a good ranged weapon, if we do, we will be even more op.

We’re out of chicken

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Edenwolf.6328

Edenwolf.6328

Sorry double post.

Alistat the White-Guardian, Edenwolf-Thief, Grimtech Jones-Necro Borlis Pass

(edited by Edenwolf.6328)

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Edenwolf.6328

Edenwolf.6328

Just because you’re bad with a scepter doesn’t mean it’s broken. You’re just bad with it. Scepter is an awesome ranged weapon, it just takes some actual thought to use as you have to plan enemy movements to maximize Smite. Also having an instant immobilize on someone is borderline OP. If you’re that desperate to have ranged maybe you should play a class that is more suited to that role.

Can you please teach us the way of the psychic so that we too could use “actual thoughts” to increase the velocity of auto attacks and to change their directions mid flight.

No one is saying smite is a problem, its that the auto attack, one of the most crutial aspects of a ranged weapon is absolute kitten.

P.s. can I haz guardian longbow?

Alistat the White-Guardian, Edenwolf-Thief, Grimtech Jones-Necro Borlis Pass

(edited by Edenwolf.6328)

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Boose.6201

Boose.6201

As someone who uses the scepter and more so now staff.

I really don’t have a problem with either. while new weapons are nice to get, i don’t think we need a new weapon in RIGHT NOW to replace the scepter.

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Posted by: Assic.2746

Assic.2746

Guardian with a longbow (or a crossbow) is great idea , cause scepter and staff are more defensive weapons… generaly speaking those weapons are not useful with traits like precision or power. That’s what i think.

(or at least give us a skin to scepter, which will look like bow)

(edited by Assic.2746)

Guardian with longbow

in Guardian

Ynna.8769

I can’t believe this thread is still going on and that the same discussion is being recycled again and again.
Can’t we all just agree that (A) Our current ranged options are lacking and could stand an improvement (B) Guardians with Longbows would be pretty cool and look nice, but is ultimately not needed © If our current ranged options would get a (small) improvement, we most certainly wouldn’t need another ranged option. (D) When/if they add Crossbows to the game, we think Guardians should get one.

“Come on, hit me!”

(edited by Ynna.8769)