Guardians. Race Decisions and why?

in Guardian

Posted by: Kashien.6278

Kashien.6278

When I first created my guardian Maulkior. I created it to be a sylvarri healer, for the massive regeneration buffs that I was able to give. But since i found out that healing seed ability was targetable/destroyable, that viable option made me delete the guardian at lv 54 just to recreate it as a Charr Guardian. I just want to get everyones reasons why they made thier guardian the race they are now. And If they could change thier race, why?

Why I like the CHARR Guardian.
———————————————————————
Battle Roar – 2 stacks of might
20% crit chance
This goes really well with the staff ability Empower and Virtue of Justice

Charr Landmine
——————————————————-
Great Bleed, Great cripple, Something which guardians really dont have much of.

If I could change my race, I’d be a Norn for the Snow leapord form, for invisibility /Dash during WvWvW. Another thing which guardians really dont have without sacrificing utility spells.

Genuine friendship will endure any competition or dispute
Anbringehr-Human Guardian
My Build The Legendary Defender

in Guardian

Posted by: Kita.7819

Kita.7819

Asura.

Radiation field works very well with our Hammer and Greatsword, since we have so many finishers but few fields. Burning and Poison work well together too.

Pain Inverter works great if you’re going for a retaliation build.

Golem 7-Series is perhaps the strongest summon out there. If you’re a full tank, this guy will deal massive damage on your behalf. If you’re not a full tank, this guy will deal massive damage on your behalf.

Golem D-Series is great if you need to take a break from all the tanking to heal yourself

If you’re looking for mobility with Guardians, don’t worry. Between our leaps, warps and swiftness we can outrun even the fastest thieves.

Assuming we have a target to warp to of course.

Also, when we use Cleasing Flames, Healing Breeze and Zealot’s Defense, we float in the air. That’s pretty cool. And what’s more satisfying than chopping down giants as a little imp, then having them complain on the forums about how “hurdur not being an Asura is a crutch”

Kita – Guardian
Server: Darkhaven. The Besthaven.

in Guardian

Posted by: Bsquared.3421

Bsquared.3421

I rolled Norn for my Guardian alt, for the simple reason, that if I’m going to be a Guardian and protect people, I wanted to be big and badkitten while doing so…

Nerfedname – Elementalist
Legion of Anvil Rock [XXIV] – Anvil Rock

in Guardian

Posted by: KingMegalodon.2874

KingMegalodon.2874

I picked Norn.

Who could pass up the ability to turn into a BEAR?

in Guardian

Posted by: Active.1538

Active.1538

Norn. I’m a sucker for armor looks, and they just look that good on a Norn.
Lorewise I’d go with human, though.

Active – Guardian – Far Shiverpeaks

in Guardian

Kashien.6278

I thought about making an asura just for the Golem series elites. And the radiation field.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

I picked Human because I always play human, but I’m regretting it. I hate my character in the personal story. Armor does look good on it, and the animations are okay.

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I’m glad this thread started because I have an old Sylvari Guardian that I shelved way back & have been thinking about rerolling. Asura have great racial skills but they’re so tiny…they look fun & their stories are interesting but I want to be able to see my armor and I want my hammer & GS to look intimidating. Not like I’m about to dig into some lobster for dinner.

Sylvari I think don’t really look god in the heavy armor but their stories are so good. Humans look great but the story is the worst of all the races imo. Char have great racials too but they just look awful! And Norn are a solid choice but I don’t see me using any of their racial elites over the Guardian ones (am i wrong???).

So….I don’t know which race to roll still

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Guardian

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

My survivability tripled when I made an Asura in spvp.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in Guardian

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

I went Human for concept and roleplay.

But I admit, I’m jealous of Norn hair. And Norn faces. And Norn abs.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

in Guardian

Posted by: seithan.4823

seithan.4823

I went Human for concept and roleplay.

But I admit, I’m jealous of Norn hair. And Norn faces. And Norn abs.

i loled hehe

My Warrior is Norn (racials are crap) and my Guardian is Charr.

Why Charr? Looks ofc. I like the badkitten and personally i think, all dungeon armor just magically fit on the Charr

Rig#1: i2500k@4Ghz/ 8GB Ram @ 1600/ Asus GTX580 CU
Rig#2: Core2duo@3Ghz/ 4GB DDR2/ 9800gtx+

in Guardian

Posted by: Animus.6073

Animus.6073

I went with Sylvari because I like elves and they are the closest race to them (at least in my opinion) in GW2. I think the Sylvari racial skills are pretty awful though.

in Guardian

Posted by: Warskull.3096

Warskull.3096

You shouldn’t be wasting utility skills on Racials. Guardians have amazing utility skills. The sole consideration should be racial elite. Having access to a decent summon makes taking out veterans faster and easier while you level.

Hounds of Balthazar on human is probably the best, but all races except Norn have a decent summon elite.

in Guardian

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

Was going to be norn for aesthetics (pretty white wing tattoos, qq!), but I couldn’t stand the female voice. So she became human. The guardian utilities seem so strong that I went for appearance over skills.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

in Guardian

Posted by: AbsintheMinded.4609

AbsintheMinded.4609

Asura. Because Asura, obviously, bookah.

in Guardian

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

I agree that it’s hard to justify taking any of the racial utility skills over our class ones. We already have a wide variety of juicy utilities, and the fact that they tend to benefit more from traits is icing on the cake. And while I can see how some of the racial elites would benefit certain playstyles (like the Norn snow leopard stealth mentioned earlier), I think I personally prefer the tomes of courage and wrath for most fights.

So yeah, I ended up basing my decision on lore and appearance. Sylvari for me. Their summon isn’t the greatest, for when I need one, but it isn’t horrible either.

in Guardian

Posted by: Poplik.8697

Poplik.8697

norn female, reason:

(.)(.)

in Guardian

Posted by: DigitalBAZOOKA.3940

DigitalBAZOOKA.3940

Lol iv had 3 guardians now, first was an asura, awesome story and awesome character, but didn’t want to grind for tiny armor and weapons, next was my human, personal story wasn’t the best but I was very satisfied with the armor, but sadly I got wasted outta my mind 4 days ago and deleted the poor guy, along with 7 gold, tier 2 cultural armor and the mad king books, and on a side note cried like a little girl, and now finally on a charr, coz in short they are just awesomely awesome! Plus there weapons are way bigger than they bodies And in final words to a charr every other race is meat and sylvari are just salads

Be the change you want to see in the world

in Guardian

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

I went with a Norn simply because I like northern, snowy zones. However, it worked out very well for WvW.

The Norn elite Become the Snow Leopard, has a stealth skill, which is usually unavailable to the Guardian. This can be very handy in WvW in certain situations (eg. scouting) so I pop it in as needed.

Also, I play a point control siege Guardian so being tall can help people see you through all the AoE spam.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

in Guardian

Posted by: Paradox.5498

Paradox.5498

I ended up making my 6th character a Sylvari guardian. Why Sylvari? Because that’s the only race I haven’t played much yet. Bad reason probably and I’m not sure I’m gonna stick to my choice. Sylvari guardian just seems wrong for some reason. Lorewise, I’d prefer human but I already have a human character I’m gonna keep. And I’m not sure I want to level in human zones again.

Choices, choices…

in Guardian

Posted by: Buzzcrave.6197

Buzzcrave.6197

Human. Reason? T3 cultural.

in Guardian

Posted by: Wolfgang Hype.8970

Wolfgang Hype.8970

I made my guardian a sylvari because it seemed to fit the class well enough. It was either sylvari or human and I already had a human thief (who I hate because I can’t play a thief, no good at the playstyle). Unfortunately, I make a terrible sylvari as I’m always threatening to brutalize various NPCs and I’ve yet to find a sylvari outside the nightmare court displaying such traits. Also I made my sylvari gray, bought a full set of cultural armor… and then found out that the cultural armor (and town clothes) have a hidden color that is tied to your “skin” color. As a result I may remake my guardian. Might switch it to human and make my sylvari a mesmer or engineer.

Tarnished Coast – Association of Classy Tyrians [ACT]
Shyamal- Asuran Necromancer | Varg Houtman- Norn Ranger
Nemo Randolf- Human Guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

If you’re looking for mobility with Guardians, don’t worry. Between our leaps, warps and swiftness we can outrun even the fastest thieves.

What game are you playing, it sounds really cool. Yeah, that’s sarcasm. Either you are playing against the worst thieves in gw history, or you are making stuff up. There is NO class that can catch a thief. Ele comes close, but that’s it. It doesn’t even matter about swiftness because EVEN if guardian could keep it up full time (goodluck with the guardian swiftness bug) the guardian can have at most 3 teleports. The thief on the other hand doesn’t even have to use his utilities to get one. Now if he does you are already outclassed.

Flashing blade has a shorter range than IA, 600 to 900.
Judge’s intervention has a 1200 range, except the thief also has a 1200 range that breaks stuns, and he can return to it to cure three conditions. His also requires no target, etc.

As for me, Norn. Went human first just for the lore, got him to 80. Norn is about halfway there. Snow leopard is better than any of our current elites (imo). Long stealth, a pretty big dash. Looks amazing also.

in Guardian

Posted by: exphryl.3857

exphryl.3857

Asura, because why wouldn’t you want your character to pole dance when using an ability?

in Guardian

Seras.5702

First Guardian was Sylvari. The lore is great but I hate the look of sylvari in heavy armor and the cultural is crap imo. Just rerolled to human and already he looks the part. Our utilities are too good to use racials but the elites might benefit from Hounds and maybe even Melandru in full on support mode. Probably tome is better tho. Haven’t gotten that high yet.

in Guardian

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

Unfortunately, I make a terrible sylvari as I’m always threatening to brutalize various NPCs and I’ve yet to find a sylvari outside the nightmare court displaying such traits.

Depending on your character creation choices (I think it’s “All things have a right to grow.”) you do get to work with a Sylvari who illogically threatens to punch everyone he meets in your personal story. There’s also a random NPC in one zone who’s preaching to his shocked friend about how violent death is part of nature.

in Guardian

Posted by: Monki.5012

Monki.5012

I create all my characters just because the look. I do not care for racials and enjoy them as a bonus.

My Guardian was ment to be a female Asura but I changed my mind because the name I wanted to use wouldnt fit and the lack of pretty haitstyles of Asura. She is a Human now.

in Guardian

Posted by: Sabyne.6329

Sabyne.6329

I rolled Norn for my Guardian alt, for the simple reason, that if I’m going to be a Guardian and protect people, I wanted to be big and badkitten while doing so…

I rolled a female norn, as tall as possible, for this reason.

in Guardian

Kashien.6278

Yeah, I rolled my guardian as a charr for the complete kittenery, as well as the ability to significantly increase my teams DPS, even if its just for 10 seconds.

in Guardian

Posted by: Pie Formation.8196

Pie Formation.8196

Asura for pvp, because you’re too small for anyone to see banish coming.

Miyazawa Kengo — Nefarious Mushroom Plan [gasp] — Stormbluff Isle
“Come! Break your weapons upon me!”

in Guardian

Kita.7819

What game are you playing, it sounds really cool. Yeah, that’s sarcasm. Either you are playing against the worst thieves in gw history, or you are making stuff up. There is NO class that can catch a thief. Ele comes close, but that’s it. It doesn’t even matter about swiftness because EVEN if guardian could keep it up full time (goodluck with the guardian swiftness bug) the guardian can have at most 3 teleports. The thief on the other hand doesn’t even have to use his utilities to get one. Now if he does you are already outclassed.

Flashing blade has a shorter range than IA, 600 to 900.
Judge’s intervention has a 1200 range, except the thief also has a 1200 range that breaks stuns, and he can return to it to cure three conditions. His also requires no target, etc.

As for me, Norn. Went human first just for the lore, got him to 80. Norn is about halfway there. Snow leopard is better than any of our current elites (imo). Long stealth, a pretty big dash. Looks amazing also.

So you’re saying that every single thief I’ve met is the worst thief in existence? The symbol of swiftness “bug” isn’t a bug. Leap of Faith when traited can activate every 12 seconds and is affected by speed boosts. In other words, if you have swiftness it covers 800 units instead of 600.

Also, ever heard of pulls and knockdowns? Just because I’m not moving fast doesn’t mean they’re moving faster. Line of Warding, Binding Blade, Bane Signet, Wrath Signet, take your pick.

Stop maxing out zeal and invest in cooldown reduction traits.

Kita – Guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: Ninjah.6298

Ninjah.6298

Azura, because it looks funny as hell when tanking huge bosses, like Hobbit Tanks in Lotro.

in Guardian

Posted by: Leowan.4389

Leowan.4389

I went Human because of the way the armor looks on them – specifically I think the Tier 2 Cultural looks amazing. I still probably would have gone Asura, but I already have a level 80 plate wearing (warrior) Asura toon.

Leowan (Ranger) / Patrel Braveling (Thief) / Agusta Steelton (Guardian) / Danner Braveling (Warrior)

in Guardian

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

I went human. Out of the races human just looked best to me. Although if done all over i would make my guard a female instead of male as to me the armor just looks better.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lothair.8942

Lothair.8942

Big kitten Norn

in Guardian

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

Human Female, and when I first saw the skills I thought “Wow this looks like those Valkyrie archetypes from RPGs!”

Too bad we can’t use Longbows… but Spirit Weapons feels so fitting, and so does Wall of Reflection, Sanctuary, and all the Sword’s Skills!

in Guardian

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

I chose to run as a Norn.
Because I like their Size, and Cult level 3 armor looks the best out of all of the races.
I like their starter area and general story line the best too.

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

in Guardian

Posted by: Curae.1837

Curae.1837

I picked Asura. They poledance around their staff using empower is just hilarious. Not to mention I think they just look a combo of cute and kitten in heavy armor x’D

“When we remember that we are all mad.
The mysteries dissapear and life stands explained.”

in Guardian

Kita.7819

Human Female, and when I first saw the skills I thought “Wow this looks like those Valkyrie archetypes from RPGs!”

Too bad we can’t use Longbows… but Spirit Weapons feels so fitting, and so does Wall of Reflection, Sanctuary, and all the Sword’s Skills!

Way back when, back before Asura and Sylvari were even playable, I wanted to make a Valkyrie Lenneth setup. Unfortunately spirit weapons were just so bad that I shyed from that quickly. And then the Asura came and I fell in love with them

Kita – Guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: Rhys.5439

Rhys.5439

Charr Guardian.

Because: Charr.

Voren Cindershade – Survivor of the Shade warband; leader of the Cinder warband.

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

Norn Guardian.

Bear transformation!D
originally was going for the wolf for the lore, but. yea. bear.
and in addition, i fell in love with T3 cultural armor.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Guardian

Posted by: Tinni.4351

Tinni.4351

Well I knew I wanted a Guardian, an engineer, a ranger, a thief and a necromancer. So it was a matter of spreading it out across the races and I thought that a Human Noble would be the type of person to be a Guardian.

My brain is shagging under the weight of changes… having six characters was not a good idea!

in Guardian

Seras.5702

Had a Sylvari, deleted him cuz they look so flaky even at their biggesst & wearing plate armor. Decided on Human because they look great in the heavy armor & the T2 & T3 cultural are great! (Almost went Norn cuz..they’re friggin huge!!!)

in Guardian

Kashien.6278

Charr Guardian.

Because: Charr.

I second this statement.

in Guardian

Posted by: Wreknar.5076

Wreknar.5076

And Norn are a solid choice but I don’t see me using any of their racial elites over the Guardian ones (am i wrong???).

So….I don’t know which race to roll still

The Norn skills are great in theory, they just don’t stack up as even a slightly weaker alternative. Norn are purely for aesthetics, no one uses their racial abilities…..and lives.

in Guardian

Posted by: Drekor.5217

Drekor.5217

I went Sylvari, I regret every moment of it.

The Shipwrecked Pirates
Tarnished Coast

in Guardian

Kashien.6278

This ^^^^^^^

Haha, glad im not the only one.

in Guardian

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

Ya i was going to go Sylvari but i happened to look ahead and play one in the final BWE. I learned that it was a horrid idea and never looked back.

in Guardian

Posted by: shynu.7081

shynu.7081

I went for Charr coz they have a fluffy tail! =p

However finding a nice helm for a charr is kinda hard. >.<

in Guardian

Posted by: ComeAndSee.1356

ComeAndSee.1356

Sylvari was the only race that appealed to me. Humans look too fake, almost doll like.

Sha Nari – 80 Guardian (http://bit.ly/12RNvtK)
Lorella Windrunner – 80 Thief
Shayera Nightfall – 80 Mesmer