Guardians are the weakest profession

in Guardian

Posted by: sean.6058

sean.6058

Our damage even with a berserker build is average. Our bunker/tank option is passable, but you trade out so much damage for utility that I don’t think it’s worth it. However, seeing as it’s the only viable option, most Guardian players just go with it.

The only natural condition we apply, burning, lasts for half a second. On use it’s like 4 seconds, but then you have to wait for the recharge. Yeah you could spec for condition duration, but that’s detrimental do your damage output. Which is already average.

Our health pool is hilariously bad, even with the gimmick of aegis/blocks. If you don’t build defensively you will die very fast. I get what they were going for, but the block system needs to be changed if it’s going to justify us having such a low natural health pool.

Half of our weapon skills are useless. Why the shield, the iconic Guardian weapon, is the worst skill, I’ll never know. Other honorable mentions include the torch, hammer, and mace. Scepter needs range increase.

I get what they were going for with the Guardian. But when I feel like I tank better and do more damage with my Thief, something’s wrong. We need more build options. HoT will either fix it or make it even worse.

in Guardian

Posted by: Baconplease.1657

Baconplease.1657

Our damage is average? Our damage is amazing in full berzerker gear with Sword/focus.
Hell Even hammer can deal amazing damage despite being a CC weapon with Protection if traited for symbols. I can assist you with a Decent build for DPS if you wish, but calling us the weakest profession is far from the truth

in Guardian

Posted by: Panncakez.1290

Panncakez.1290

Agreed on hp-pool, and absolute lack of damaging conditions/cc’s. But if we’re talking raw-pve dps, guard is fine there, lots of crits and team support.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aggrostemma.1703

Aggrostemma.1703

I don’t know what you are on mate….

our single target DPS is all right.
our single target burst is also all right (mostly for meditation)
our AoE DPS is a bit of mess since we do it with cleave AND symbols so there is a chance you screw up some fire/water field. But it’s still OK.
survivability? seriously… you are talking about one of the most durable profession in the game. It counters other zerkers for a reason.
Condition: we can only apply one condition (the most damaging one) but can do it very often. So cleanse won’t help too much against it. True: pure condi builds are not possible yet.
Health… You want more health? Really? If guardians got like 3000 HP more baseline they would be an unstoppable force you know…

#I no words have"

in Guardian

Posted by: creepmatic.9435

creepmatic.9435

Dmg is mediocre. Guard is good because of strong utilities and group suport. It’s self sufficiency is bottom tier tough. Traits are a mess, no defining power build, most useless GM traits of all classes m8. Yeah keep saying Guard is in a good spot and it will remain like this until GW3 arrives.

Hopefully HoT brings something unique to our Zeal line with at least a viable Pve/Pvp worthy GM. (Zeal by it’s name could have one of the most awesome game mechanics if devs would open up a bit they’re creativity, fresh air level even)

Medi/AH much? So innovative. Please.

in Guardian

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

This is a very weird thread…

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

At this point I agree, honestly. Although to be fair, the damage itself is fine; the problem is not being able to apply it to a mobile target.

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Our damage even with a berserker build is average. Our bunker/tank option is passable, but you trade out so much damage for utility that I don’t think it’s worth it. However, seeing as it’s the only viable option, most Guardian players just go with it.

The only natural condition we apply, burning, lasts for half a second. On use it’s like 4 seconds, but then you have to wait for the recharge. Yeah you could spec for condition duration, but that’s detrimental do your damage output. Which is already average.

Our health pool is hilariously bad, even with the gimmick of aegis/blocks. If you don’t build defensively you will die very fast. I get what they were going for, but the block system needs to be changed if it’s going to justify us having such a low natural health pool.

Half of our weapon skills are useless. Why the shield, the iconic Guardian weapon, is the worst skill, I’ll never know. Other honorable mentions include the torch, hammer, and mace. Scepter needs range increase.

I get what they were going for with the Guardian. But when I feel like I tank better and do more damage with my Thief, something’s wrong. We need more build options. HoT will either fix it or make it even worse.

Guardian is probably one of the better, if not best, balanced class. It just so happens that all others are not At least that is my opinion. Head start, launch, the Guardian was good – maybe a bit broke. But so was everyone else. Since then the degree of separation between classes is pretty noticeable. Hence my comment about the rest of the classes not so balance (looking at engineers and ele’s).

We have burst. It is kitten good. Only issue is what we sacrifice in order to use it. Therein lies the issue. Then complicate matters by having one of the lowest health pools in the game while watching other classes do what our original design was intended better, well – I can see why posts like this come up.

Honestly though there are some very good players still running Guardians. I don’t think it is for the average player anymore and I think it takes more skill to balance that triple meditation / zerk / dps with survival skills. In other words the higher skilled guardian players are looking for the escape routes before they engage the fight. That isn’t something Joe Schmoe knows how to do….

Just my opinion anyway after playing a Guard for a while now but since moved on.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Guardian

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

OP I’ll keep this simple. You have much to learn, take a look at the stickies they may help you, if you have specific questions ask and people will surely help. You’re wrong about just about everything in your post though.

in Guardian

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

Guardians are the most balanced profession IMO. They rely on the least amount of significant passives for their play (aside from Vigorous precision) while lacking the necessary tools to be an effective melee fighter(CC, mobility). I will say though i’m not a fan of instant skills since they provide no counterplay so meditations make it seem like it’s easy but if you don’t manage your skills carefully, you’ll be in trouble.

in Guardian

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

For one, Guardians have a learning curve when compared to a class that is more passively defensive such as a Warrior. The tradeoff, however, is that the Guardian class has more potential. A novice Guardian will get wrecked everytime as panic mode kicks in and he ends up blowing all his cooldowns. The experience comes in knowing when to use what, and that’s what makes the profession excel. Persoanlly, I can comfortably run through any PvE content with my Guardian with competitive DPS and still offer superior support to my team.

Though, put me in PvP as a bunker, and I’ll hold the point for all of two seconds. Does that mean the profession is the weakest one? No, it just means I haven’t sat down to learn the profession. In PvE, I’m looking for the slow nukes and throwing up blocks, blinds, and protecting accordingly. In PvP, that doesn’t work as straight forward. Instead I need to look to mitigate smaller but more constant attacks while saving my big defensive tactics for the “Killshots” and heavy disables.

I can spec DPS, but I’ll be as squishy as my Ele if I don’t play right. I can spec Into Honor/Valor and pic up key traits such as AH and FoW, grab a hammer and staff with extended symbols, and I’ll expect to be the last one to die everytime but be lacking in the DPS department.

Personally I enjoy the challenge in playing a class that requires focus and acquired skill. I have other toons that I play when I want easy mode since they require little skill and attention (coughwarriorcough).

(edited by savacli.8172)

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

No, we’re not the weakest class in the game. If we were we wouldn’t be the 5th pick in PvP.

Damage: Average or slightly above average. One thing’s for sure is we’re not slacking in this department.

Health pool: We don’t facetank like warriors. It’s our blocks, blinds, invuln, that makes up for our low health pool.

Conditions: You’re pretty much on queue here but “one condition” isn’t the reason why we’re slacking. It’s the Burn mechanic, our F1 isn’t AOE and all of our burns applications are for single targets. It’s why it’s the best 1v1 build but crappy (compared to other condi classes) in Zerg 3v3+ fights. I can elaborate further if need be.

Weapons: The only crappy weapons we have is Shield and maybe Mace. Everyone else uses Hammer (meta), Staff (meta), GS, Scepter, Focus, Sword, Torch. In that order.

You’re right about one thing. HoT could make us or break us when it comes to viability in comparison to other classes. Our Condi spec could be either OP, or UP depending on trait allocations and changes. Our damage may be average or above average but the biggest thing I fear is our survivability. Already we’re easily counterable by heavy kiting and/or heavy sustains. We’ll just have to see what happens.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Wow … get a clue man.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kartoon.4291

Kartoon.4291

No, we’re not the weakest class in the game. If we were we wouldn’t be the 5th pick in PvP.

Damage: Average or slightly above average. One thing’s for sure is we’re not slacking in this department.

Health pool: We don’t facetank like warriors. It’s our blocks, blinds, invuln, that makes up for our low health pool.

Conditions: You’re pretty much on queue here but “one condition” isn’t the reason why we’re slacking. It’s the Burn mechanic, our F1 isn’t AOE and all of our burns applications are for single targets. It’s why it’s the best 1v1 build but crappy (compared to other condi classes) in Zerg 3v3+ fights. I can elaborate further if need be.

Weapons: The only crappy weapons we have is Shield and maybe Mace. Everyone else uses Hammer (meta), Staff (meta), GS, Scepter, Focus, Sword. In that order.

You’re right about one thing. HoT could make us or break us when it comes to viability in comparison to other classes. Our Condi spec could be either OP, or UP depending on trait allocations and changes. Our damage may be average or above average but the biggest thing I fear is our survivability. Already we’re easily counterable by heavy kiting and/or heavy sustains. We’ll just have to see what happens.

Think you forgot torch here man, number 5 could burn a ton of people also GS/secpter torch is a pretty op combo in zerker build.

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Weapons: The only crappy weapons we have is Shield and maybe Mace. Everyone else uses Hammer (meta), Staff (meta), GS, Scepter, Focus, Sword. In that order.

Think you forgot torch here man, number 5 could burn a ton of people also GS/secpter torch is a pretty op combo in zerker build.

Fixed

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

TIL meta in all 3 game modes = weakest profession.

in Guardian

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/necromancer

That should make you feel better.

in Guardian

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

At this point I agree, honestly. Although to be fair, the damage itself is fine; the problem is not being able to apply it to a mobile target.

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in Guardian

Posted by: ZoroDaOtter.3859

ZoroDaOtter.3859

My guess is that AI Necro in GW1 was such a popular and great pick that they want Necros to be non-existent in GW2.

in Guardian

Posted by: Jay.1085

Jay.1085

I will just agree with the earlier post about Necros OP. I mained a Necro that class is broken not broken as in over powered but broken that you will feel unwanted in many situations. I man a guard and ele now and I can tell you we are as balance as it gets. I dont know if your trolling but seriously read on other classes hell look at the mesmer class it will make you feel better.

in Guardian

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

Way to show the quality of GW2 players (chuckle)
Ignorant is bliss.

Yeah I know you just try to bait out Anet for buffing your class even more despite it’s already the “Meta Class” in all 3 types of game modes.

(edited by Toxsa.2701)

in Guardian

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

I am confident to say that we have an extremely good burst while maintaining enough defensive measures left to leave us with some wiggle room if stuffs goes wrong.

mobility is the key issue. I do not think it is even the application of damage that is problematic it is the withdrawl from a fight. We simply can not do it to catch a breath and let CDs come up again. however if we could do that we would become very powerful very quickly.

I feel that Guardian is a lot about reading the enemy. we can very easily break or avoid rotations.