Hammer/Staff combo

Hammer/Staff combo

in Guardian

Posted by: MePhx.2031

MePhx.2031

Is it any good? I’m kinda new to mmorpg’s and im just wondering if it’s any good.

Hammer/Staff combo

in Guardian

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

If your armor and build isnt tanky enough for more damage like GS/Staff, then you could use hammer/staff as a alternative for more “support” over dps. Its one of the better weapon combos though definately.

Hammer/Staff combo

in Guardian

MePhx.2031

If your armor and build isnt tanky enough for more damage like GS/Staff, then you could use hammer/staff as a alternative for more “support” over dps. Its one of the better weapon combos though definately.

Thank you one more question tho where can i get some good low lvl armor? I’ll soon hit lvl 11 or so and sometimes im just getting wrecked i dont die but i have to run like hell i really don’t want to buy those npc armors is there any other decent armor sets early on?

Hammer/Staff combo

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

I never had the need for better armor at lower levels. I just picked up whatever I found and sometimes bought something with Karma. I also found that before level 10 things were harder, and they eased out on later levels (becoming a bit more difficult around level 60 or so). Instead of picking up new armor, try to actively avoid damage with dodges and make sure to heal on time. Also make sure you’ve take utilities that help you live longer if you find yourself going down too fast. If all that doesn’t help, consider taking a weapon that actively reduces the damage you take, be it with blocks, blinds or something else.

“Come on, hit me!”

Hammer/Staff combo

in Guardian

MePhx.2031

I never had the need for better armor at lower levels. I just picked up whatever I found and sometimes bought something with Karma. I also found that before level 10 things were harder, and they eased out on later levels (becoming a bit more difficult around level 60 or so). Instead of picking up new armor, try to actively avoid damage with dodges and make sure to heal on time. Also make sure you’ve take utilities that help you live longer if you find yourself going down too fast. If all that doesn’t help, consider taking a weapon that actively reduces the damage you take, be it with blocks, blinds or something else.

Thank you i only struggle versus a pack of mobs like 4 or more :P

Hammer/Staff combo

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

That’s working as intended :-) It also won’t really go away. Even when I’m doing downleveled content, 4 mobs or more do take my attention.

“Come on, hit me!”

Hammer/Staff combo

in Guardian

Posted by: Dyroth.5063

Dyroth.5063

Use great sword when you need more damage but in dungeons/groups if you know game mechanics hammer is awesome.

Hammer/Staff combo

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

and by no means think that hammer can’t do damage! it’s my weapon of choice. of course i play with all other weapons as well, but in the 5 – 6 builds i’ve messed around / tried, the hammer always has a place. : ))

but what Ynna said. start learning how to dodge early and the basics of combat of gw2 become second nature to you. and always be mobile. also, as you level up and gain more skills, access to traits, etc. it’s fun trying to figure out what traits work well with what stats and weapon skills, etc – all of which can be tuned to deal more overall DMG, or increase your survivability.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Hammer/Staff combo

in Guardian

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

GSword is setup quite well, I’d suggest throwing one on and trying it. This was my weapon of choice leveling along with Hammer. After lvl 60 different builds start to really open up and then at 80 you have a lot of viable options. Until then GSword is quite good. I would suggest replacing blue gear every 5 levels to keep things moving. I usually just grab anything with vitality or toughness at lower levels.

Each weapon has it’s strength and can be used effectively. I think of hammer as a 2h ‘tanky’ weapon as you can have full time Protection running for 33% less damage taken with the right build. Mace, Shield and Focus are also good for survival. GSword, Sword, Torch and Scepter are my picks for sheer damage output, Scepter being our ranged option and Sword is awesome in a crit build. Staff has great support, surprisingly decent damage and coupled with Shouts can give you constant Swiftness.

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

(edited by Bloodgruve.6038)

Hammer/Staff combo

in Guardian

Posted by: Oatmeal.1895

Oatmeal.1895

I was greatsword all the way until the harder dungeons, hammer is a great crowd control weapon. #3 (root) and #5(I think? creates a ward that enemies cannot pass through/exit). Linked with Staff’s #5 skill you can keep enemies at bay for a good 15+? However I don’t think I would use staff for pve.

But like others have said each weapon has it’s strengths. Except for torch and sword… I cannot honestly say I have ever really used them, except to mess around.

Hammer/Staff combo

in Guardian

MePhx.2031

GSword is setup quite well, I’d suggest throwing one on and trying it. This was my weapon of choice leveling along with Hammer. After lvl 60 different builds start to really open up and then at 80 you have a lot of viable options. Until then GSword is quite good. I would suggest replacing blue gear every 5 levels to keep things moving. I usually just grab anything with vitality or toughness at lower levels.

Each weapon has it’s strength and can be used effectively. I think of hammer as a 2h ‘tanky’ weapon as you can have full time Protection running for 33% less damage taken with the right build. Mace, Shield and Focus are also good for survival. GSword, Sword, Torch and Scepter are my picks for sheer damage output, Scepter being our ranged option and Sword is awesome in a crit build. Staff has great support, surprisingly decent damage and coupled with Shouts can give you constant Swiftness.

I was greatsword all the way until the harder dungeons, hammer is a great crowd control weapon. #3 (root) and #5(I think? creates a ward that enemies cannot pass through/exit). Linked with Staff’s #5 skill you can keep enemies at bay for a good 15+? However I don’t think I would use staff for pve.

But like others have said each weapon has it’s strengths. Except for torch and sword… I cannot honestly say I have ever really used them, except to mess around.

Thank you both for the replies i’ll try GS/Hammer or GS/Staff but another question what about low level armor do you guys use the ones that the mobs drop or do you buy them with karma or from the post?

Hammer/Staff combo

in Guardian

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

Every 5 levels or so I’ll go to the Trading Post and buy new blues or greens. 15 silver goes a long way. I look for anything with Vitality usually, again at lvl 60 it starts to change but you’ll have a better feel for it at that point.

At lvl 40 you can get Two Handed Mastery trait for faster 2h cooldowns. until then switch weapons when you can to maximize ability usage. Hammer gets its damage from Auto Attack and Mighty Blow. Even with the trait you’ll wanna hit mighty blow at the end of ever other auto attack chain. Get those combo fields working for ya.

Blood~

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

Hammer/Staff combo

in Guardian

MePhx.2031

Every 5 levels or so I’ll go to the Trading Post and buy new blues or greens. 15 silver goes a long way. I look for anything with Vitality usually, again at lvl 60 it starts to change but you’ll have a better feel for it at that point.

At lvl 40 you can get Two Handed Mastery trait for faster 2h cooldowns. until then switch weapons when you can to maximize ability usage. Hammer gets its damage from Auto Attack and Mighty Blow. Even with the trait you’ll wanna hit mighty blow at the end of ever other auto attack chain. Get those combo fields working for ya.

Blood~

Thank you kind sir.