Heal Skills

Heal Skills

in Guardian

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

So I was reviewing some of the posted “metabattle” builds posted, trying to break ground on something we possibly might have missed over the last two years on Guardian builds.

While this came up originally at launch I wanted to revisit it: Guardian Heal skills

A commonality of all the “meta” builds posted have sub 30 second heal cooldowns on all the classes with 5k or more healing done.

(all not counting traits and/or gear, just baseline healing)

Exceptions to those are
Elementalist – Signet of Restoration

• 25s cooldown
  • 3k heal
  • BUT heals for 200 per cast while active

Warrior – Healing Signet

• 20s cooldown
  • 3k heal
  • BUT heals for 362 per second while active

Guardian – Shelter

• 30s cooldown
  • just shy of 5k
  • BUT blocks “almost” all attacks for 2 seconds

You could also tack on we get a passive 84 healing a second with Virtue of Resolve.

Our other healing options are not as viable, due to cast time/group oriented/or low healing output.

Here is where it becomes a pain, our signet is great…but that block is crucial sometimes, so more often than not we opt for Shelter.

Classes ability to stay alive in combat is based around self sustain and in all other classes cases the healing skill.

The guardian on the other hand uses the healing skill as a block mechanic to prevent damage, but our recovery of damage done is not the most effective depending on traits and combat scenarios.

We have the longest cooldown with the shortest/least gain…but sometimes that block is amazing and can stop thousands of damage…other times it just stops a hit or two worth a couple hundred.

Do you think our go to heal ability hinders our class performance? Is an unrealized reason why we may not have the same amount of sustain in dps roles as other classes do?

As the one of the lowest tier of HP, the other two classes have mobility to avoid damage and fast heal mechanics to encourage continual use of them for constant refresh of health pool.

Guardian’s on the other hand need to rely on additional traits/runes/and or healing power to achieve sustain.

We have gone over the lack of in combat mobility/disengage/engage, and it is pretty solid from the dev point of view that we are slow, immobile, front line fighters. Yet this description is one of our biggest Achilles Heels.

Random musing as I am looking into getting back into GW2 again and trying to reinvigorate my love for the class. What do you guys think? Am I off the target or should we consider this more?

Heal Skills

in Guardian

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

I see your point but I am afraid looking only at our heal skills and trying to compare them to other classes options will get you nowhere.

Since we have a low healthpool I rarely have the feeling that any does not perform well.

shelter is special it really is half utility half heal skill. you mentioned the benefits
does it need a little kick… maybe. But how much are we talking about? 1.000hp ? better scaling? Its worth a lot if your opponent knows that you can counter his go to burst attack.

Signet is the no.1 enemy frustration skill. they think they got you … and you back at 95%. It already tends to overheal quite often.

Even our medi heal can be used quite effectively – if it would be instant as all medis are intended I am sure it would see some playtime.

short answer:
Do you think our go to heal ability hinders our class performance?
- no

Is an unrealized reason why we may not have the same amount of sustain in dps roles as other classes do?
- i do not see any connection here.

Heal Skills

in Guardian

Posted by: Crius.5487

Crius.5487

Shelter isn’t there for the heal as much as it used for the invul. Most healing comes hammer using hammer #2 inside an ele’s water field. Traited with two-handed mastery, the hammer blast finisher has a 4 second cooldown. Healing rain has a 6 second duration, in an ideal situation you could blast it twice. Most melee resets tend to consist of water → blast → empower. You can go from almost dead to full HP within a matter of seconds if your group has half a brain.

Comparing to elementalist, I use ether renewal over signet.
Comparing to warrior, I recently stopped using healing signet in favor of Defiant Stance. Using Defiant Stance in the same manner as Shelter, it’ll heal to almost full HP. Granted, my experience comes from NA T1 with a heavy focus on the necro well bombing meta.

Jade Quarry since Beta

Heal Skills

in Guardian

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Shelter is amazing and does what it’s supposed to do— block burst damage. Healing Signet is of course really strong and sort of ridiculous in some cases but it falters under burst damage unless the warrior can manage a counter offensive. As for the ele heals, well, I think playing an ele would make it obvious why the heals are so strong. Both heals are also heavily kitten with application of poison, while shelter suffers reduced healing too, it doesn’t matter as much as you were using it for a block.

It does suck to go on full cooldown if it fails and I think that may be too big of a punishment. In the end though, the amount healed isn’t that important— if it were people would be taking signet of resolve more, but there’s a big reason why a lot don’t— people can just burst you down as you heal, even if you ignore interrupts.

Oh, and btw now that’s a heal skill,
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Healing_Turret

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Heal Skills

in Guardian

CMF.5461

For sure, healing turret helps engies do amazing things. That was the first thing I noticed when watching engineers 1v3-5 people, the mobility and quick refresh of health constantly.

We as guardians rely a TON on meditations or altruistic healing depending on the game mode.

After that we also have dodge roll healing if you have good healing power.

Our weapon healing in staff and mace are “meh”, either cause cooldown or speed of heal. I don’t know…. Then there is our Virtue of Resolve….passive is really weak.

So typically our primary sustain is to block/blind, and rely on either AH for group fights, or meditations on solo.

I don’t feel meditations provide the same amount of sustain as other dps classes have, personally.

AH is amazing, in a group at about 600 or less range….horrible solo.

Of course it is clearly defined that guardians work best in a group and not so well solo, I guess we just need to accept that sometimes and always tag along with others?

Heal Skills

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

The problem is that it is assumed that a guardian will have alternative heals built into their spec, so to compensate our primary heal skills are set behind higher cooldowns than the other classes.

The issue with this, however, is that it forces guardian builds to take either AH or MF as sustain to compensate. It is, in a sense, begging the question.

Heal Skills

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

The problem is that it is assumed that a guardian will have alternative heals built into their spec, so to compensate our primary heal skills are set behind higher cooldowns than the other classes.

The issue with this, however, is that it forces guardian builds to take either AH or MF as sustain to compensate. It is, in a sense, begging the question.

This ^ more or less.

Every & I mean every guardian build that has seen use at higher tiers has either altruistic healing or monks focus in the build.
Guardians just cannot compete without them.

Something that could be done would be to replicate the idea of monks focus/altruistic healing but in other trait lines & in coordination with other types of utility skills.

For instance what if they redesigned the grandmaster radiance trait “Perfect Inscriptions” to something like this
“Perfect Inscriptions: Gain X precision for each signet you have equipped & whenever you activate a signet you are healed for Y.

The same basic idea could be applied to consecrations in the virtues tree & something could be added to zeal to heal for a % of the damage you do.

This would add a great deal of build diversity as you would no longer be pigeon holed into honor or valor.

(edited by Ragnar the Rock.3174)

Heal Skills

in Guardian

Ragnar the Rock.3174

As for ways they could rework some of the heals

Signet of resolve, They could cut the CD down to 28-30 seconds base but reduce the healing provided to around 6 ish thousand. (this combined with the change I proposed to perfect inscriptions would be great)

Litany of Wrath, Given the low amount it heals for they could make it instant & reduce the CD to 25 seconds. Or make it instant & heal for a few thousand more at base.
Or they could make it instant & the effect shared with nearby allies.

Healing Breeze, they could up the amount that healing power effects it, & or reduce the CD to 30 seconds.
Once change healing breeze could definitely use is to become an AOE centered on the guardian.

Shelter, not sure how they could make it better in a balanced way. It is the heal to which all other guardian heals are measured after all.
Personally though I think the CD could be reduced by a couple of seconds, 25-28 seconds doesn’t seem to unbalanced.

Heal Skills

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

Healing Breeze, they could up the amount that healing power effects it, & or reduce the CD to 30 seconds.
Once change healing breeze could definitely use is to become an AOE centered on the guardian.

I think a CD reduction to 30 seconds and/or a higher healing power ratio on its allied healing would be nice, although Healing Breeze isn’t actually bad at the moment imo. It’s just that most guardians don’t really go “squishy support”, so most guardians go for Shelter instead.

Making it a PBAoE sounds like it’d make it take much less skill to use (might even make it op), as it wouldn’t have to be aimed at all or directed to a specific ally/set of allies (in other words, it would have no decision making either). If anything, instead of making it a PBAoE, I’d personally prefer it if its range was increased to 900 so that saving distant targets with it would be more flexible. Not that its current range is that bad.

Heal Skills

in Guardian

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

This ^ more or less.

Every & I mean every guardian build that has seen use at higher tiers has either altruistic healing or monks focus in the build.
Guardians just cannot compete without them.

Something that could be done would be to replicate the idea of monks focus/altruistic healing but in other trait lines & in coordination with other types of utility skills.

For instance what if they redesigned the grandmaster radiance trait “Perfect Inscriptions” to something like this
“Perfect Inscriptions: Gain X precision for each signet you have equipped & whenever you activate a signet you are healed for Y.

The same basic idea could be applied to consecrations in the virtues tree & something could be added to zeal to heal for a % of the damage you do.

This would add a great deal of build diversity as you would no longer be pigeon holed into honor or valor.

I like the copy paste of deep strike, I’m still hoping they will turn signet of wrath into a precision signet given how useless condition damage is to a class with 1 damaging condition.

Heal Skills

in Guardian

CMF.5461

Thank you, exactly my original point in more succinct words.

Heal Skills

in Guardian

Ragnar the Rock.3174

@ Vizard

I’ve been suggesting hoping for the same thing since beta.

Heal Skills

in Guardian

Posted by: WEXXES.2378

WEXXES.2378

Maybe another round of grandmaster traits that could be useful into creating new metas would be useful.

Burning enemies heal you? Yes please.

Heal Skills

in Guardian

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Shelter is pretty awesome, but in some settings (PvE), I think Healing Breeze is often underrated.

Heal Skills

in Guardian

Posted by: yLoon.5289

yLoon.5289

Basically yeah, you can burn enemy when healing with Defender Flame.
Shelter reached its optimum usage in traiting Might of Protector and AH.
You HP replenish from 1% to 100%, that is, if you are being targeted by everyone in group fight.

12K AP
Level 54 Bear Rank

Heal Skills

in Guardian

Posted by: creepmatic.9435

creepmatic.9435

Maybe another round of grandmaster traits that could be useful into creating new metas would be useful.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Litany_of_Wrath
Takes in account also condition dmg and retaliation.

Too bad I cannot make it work for me, the block from shelter is too darn good and especially when u block a nice burst and your might go up to 20+ from valor.

I wish the devs will revisit Litany as they said in the past that the cast time could be reduced even further but they haven’t adjusted it, and it’s really a shame because no one is using it. Also, even with a reduced cast time, it still won’t compete with Shelter imo. Having 0 stab in a medi build, using Litany = dead

Heal Skills

in Guardian

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Litany_of_Wrath
Takes in account also condition dmg and retaliation.

Too bad I cannot make it work for me, the block from shelter is too darn good and especially when u block a nice burst and your might go up to 20+ from valor.

I wish the devs will revisit Litany as they said in the past that the cast time could be reduced even further but they haven’t adjusted it, and it’s really a shame because no one is using it. Also, even with a reduced cast time, it still won’t compete with Shelter imo. Having 0 stab in a medi build, using Litany = dead

Yeah I’ve always wished that LoW could be a viable option. I think these changes could help make it more useful.

• Instant cast time
  • Cooldown reduced to 25s (20s traited)

As it is now, there’s really no reason to take it over shelter. The blocks can be too valuable to not take, and if you were going to take anything else it would be SoR. By lowering the cooldown and cast time LoW would gain the advantage of being a quick heal. The other three heals are on long cooldowns (30s/40s/40s) and take some time to use.

It certainly is a high risk/high reward heal by nature. If you can dish out the dps you will get good healing in return. While I don’t think those two changes would break the heal, I do think they would give more synergy in meditation builds.

(edited by Shanks.2907)