Help, Level 76 DPS Guardian dies too often

in Guardian

Posted by: RLDragon.1738

RLDragon.1738

I want to know if it would harm my 76 Guardian to switch from DPS armor and weapons to Vitality and/or Toughness gear? Also, any other tips on survival would be appreciated.

My Guardian is far too flimsy. I am running 0 15 30 21 0 so have a lot of extra Toughness and Vitality, but all my Guardian does is die. All I have been doing has been PvE clearing regions and taking part in local group events.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

a- guardian shouldn’t die while leveling.
retrait 0/15/30/15/6

b- use GS/ scepter+focus

how to start the fights.

gs 3 jump with blind
gs 5 -pull mobs to you
gs4- put symbol
F1 blind the kittens
gs2- rip them to pieces, spamming F1

if vet/elite/champ or not dead yet, switch to scepter/focus.
focus 5.
scepter 3 immo.
dodge back
scepter 2
spam scepter 1 until you can change to GS again and repeat.

in Guardian

Posted by: notabot.3497

notabot.3497

Sword/focus + GS for 99 percent of the content. Swap to a scepter manually if you are soloing champs or doing WBs that you can’t melee (which is nearly none of them, almost all are melee) Use sword/focus skills and GS leap to keep up blinds, spam that virtue for same reason. Putting points into virtues make spamming virtues makes it even better to do this. 20/25/0/0/25 is the dps meta as far as I’m aware of. It gives enough survival and dps to annihilate anything in pve open world. Use retreat, focus, shelter, aegis, and your renewed focus to ignore damage when you can’t just dodge it. If you can’t handle this build in zerk gear knights works till you are used to it. You in general don’t need vit, though 5 points into honor for vigor is ok.

The problem with putting trait points into valor and honor is they just don’t do anything you need in pve, and cost you most of your damage multipliers. PVE is easy if you can deal damage, and hard if you can’t.

in Guardian

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

Kill stuff faster in PvE. 0/15/30/21/0 isn’t DPS even if you gear that way.

GS + 20/25/0/21/0 at 76. Faster GS cooldowns, some vitality and the traits that give you 25% damage increase. Sword/Focus and GS like Natabot said. Blind and DPS um down. Go with Zerker gear and get Omnomberry Pie or a lower level food to restore health when you hit.

I was clearing 4 and 5 mobs at a time constantly while leveling. Just gotta kill them before they kill you.

GL
Blood~

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

in Guardian

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

15 radiance 30 valor is only suited to leeching in large group events. I’m quite resentful of whoever originated that crap because I remember googling something similar and was tricked as a guardian nub (well more nub than usual) into thinking it was good and wondering why I kept dying. Wouldn’t be surprised if the same happened to you,

The 15 points are effectively a waste. It’s one thing to take 5 radiance for an extra blind (good with virtues 5) but spending 10 more trait points to have it recharge means that it’s not so hot in open world where enemies are sparse and you’re not killing stuff fast enough to take advantage of it anyways. Most people take radiance due to radiant power, because the 10% damage boost makes it so much stronger and it’s not dependent on f1 exclusively. You could inflict conditions with hammer or GS, for example.

The other problem is that you have no active condition removal. You can’t take Pure of Voice and while you could take Absolute Resolution, you drop empowering might and suddenly the effectiveness of AH goes through the floor. What you end up with is a bad version of an AH build (which isn’t too good anyways to begin with) that does slightly more damage and infinitely less survivable. So what’s the point?

Do 10/25/0/10/21 for now Take wall of reflection to make a mockery out of ranged enemies and grab protection from hold the line. If you really can’t hold it still; signet of judgement is easy damage reduction too.

Also, if your gear is too far below your level; you’ll be severely disadvantaged when downscaled in lower areas, so watch out for that.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Guardian

RLDragon.1738

Thank you for the replies. Your answers are much appreciated.

I was having major problems in Dredgehaunt Cliffs because the dredge are immune to blind and they would kill me with ranged.

in Guardian

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

Wall of Reflection will sort out the ranged ones right quick.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

in Guardian

notabot.3497

Thank you for the replies. Your answers are much appreciated.

I was having major problems in Dredgehaunt Cliffs because the dredge are immune to blind and they would kill me with ranged.

You reflect the shots and pull them in with GS5 followed by GS2. The dredge in DHC are trivial with a dps guard. 1-2 skill uses kills entire bunches with cleaves. Sword 2 is a great teleport gap closer and once your are in their face they crumble to even auto attacks. If you get hit hard somehow pop some aegis skills, shelter, or renewed focus. Or focus 5 if you just need a little bit of extra time to cleave down the mobs. IIRC sword 3 is also of use against the dredge, its a decent enough ranged attack after all.

in Guardian

Posted by: EFWinters.5421

EFWinters.5421

gs 3 jump with blind
gs 5 -pull mobs to you
gs4- put symbol

Seriously, why do people do this?

Human Guardian
Fort Aspenwood

in Guardian

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Sword/focus + GS for 99 percent of the content. Swap to a scepter manually if you are soloing champs or doing WBs that you can’t melee (which is nearly none of them, almost all are melee) Use sword/focus skills and GS leap to keep up blinds, spam that virtue for same reason. Putting points into virtues make spamming virtues makes it even better to do this. 20/25/0/0/25 is the dps meta as far as I’m aware of. It gives enough survival and dps to annihilate anything in pve open world. Use retreat, focus, shelter, aegis, and your renewed focus to ignore damage when you can’t just dodge it. If you can’t handle this build in zerk gear knights works till you are used to it. You in general don’t need vit, though 5 points into honor for vigor is ok.

The problem with putting trait points into valor and honor is they just don’t do anything you need in pve, and cost you most of your damage multipliers. PVE is easy if you can deal damage, and hard if you can’t.

Sword takes ages to kill things in PvE (relatively). Use scepter/mace/staff to burst as you run in then switch to GS to kill them. I prefer staff personally as the symbol can be used to stack swiftness while you’re fighting the mob. You’ll want to run something like 20/25/0/25/0 since Virtues isn’t terribly helpful in open world. Basically just do:

- Roll at mob to burn endurance (activates Elusive Power)
- Use Smite/Symbol
- Switch to GS and unload. Don’t use Binding Blade or Leap or Faith unless you need them to get closer to mobs.

If it’s not an elite or vet and doesn’t die after that you probably just need better gear.

in Guardian

Posted by: Syn.8617

Syn.8617

Also, if your gear is too far below your level; you’ll be severely disadvantaged when downscaled in lower areas, so watch out for that.

I’d wager that this is the cause right here. Often when leveling, you’ll end up with multiple pieces of armor 20+ levels behind, unless you’re actively shopping for it or facerolling a champ train.

Also, dredge suck to fight for pretty much every prof.

in Guardian

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Drop valor, wth guys

20/25/0/0/25

or

10/25/0/25/10 for the vit

in Guardian

notabot.3497

Sword takes ages to kill things in PvE (relatively). Use scepter/mace/staff to burst as you run in then switch to GS to kill them. I prefer staff personally as the symbol can be used to stack swiftness while you’re fighting the mob. You’ll want to run something like 20/25/0/25/0 since Virtues isn’t terribly helpful in open world. Basically just do:

- Roll at mob to burn endurance (activates Elusive Power)
- Use Smite/Symbol
- Switch to GS and unload. Don’t use Binding Blade or Leap or Faith unless you need them to get closer to mobs.

If it’s not an elite or vet and doesn’t die after that you probably just need better gear.

Wait, did you actually recommend mace for open world stuff? Also sword isn’t slow if you trait for good damage. Its auto attack is good and you have a blind/gap closer on it. Its for the rotation with GS anyways cycling between the two while you wait for Whirling wrath cool downs. GS auto attack is somewhat underwhelming so its better to do weapon swaps.

Also, wtf is with “bursting” with staff? its crap damage that is really only good for tagging events where you can’t reach the enemy before they are dead. The swiftness is such a non issue I don’t even bother pulling out the staff anymore. Scepter, meh, smite is OK but the rest of it is just blah, its better to just close the gap and fight. I don’t think I’ve ever actually heard somebody say that wasting endurance was a good thing either.

in Guardian

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I’d wager that this is the cause right here. Often when leveling, you’ll end up with multiple pieces of armor 20+ levels behind, unless you’re actively shopping for it or facerolling a champ train.

Also, dredge suck to fight for pretty much every prof.

Yea, I figured I’d leave that note about gear when leveling in general, but sadly OP is already level 76 and anything he buys will be replaced very soon if not already.

It really depends on how much silver you want to put down to make those last few hours easier. Fortunately 70ish green stuff is pretty cheap. Personally, I just try to craft it away as I feel the levels right before 80 are definitely the least fun due to the downleveling mechanic.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Guardian

RLDragon.1738

I am the OP. I finished Dredgehaunt Cliffs and the Effing Dredge. My gear was way too low and I was not approaching the Dredge correctly for success. I then crafted my way to 80. It was not my intent but I wanted to get some gear ready for an Alt.

The good problem with Guardian is that there are so many ways to build and gear one.

Again, thanks for the input.

in Guardian

Posted by: Exquisitor.5076

Exquisitor.5076

Scepter is a great ranged weapon. Learn to use it for kiting/pulling. At 76 you can get some decent karma gear. Get some cheap major runes (scholar or divinity) and get at least 4 of these runes for the set bonus. Get a cheap but effective superior sigil for your weapons or some decent major sigils. For open world stuff, your build won’t matter too much, spec into some toughness if you’re having trouble. For ranged opponents, definitely use sword or wall of reflection. Swap weapons to your advantage.