Highest dps weapon setups for Guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: numark.3620

numark.3620

What are some of the highest dps weapon setups for a Guardian? Besides Greatsword.

I’m currently using GS and was thinking of trying out Sword/Torch. Has anyone had any experience with it?

-peace

in Guardian

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

I personally love using scepter / torch for when I want to apply some heavy dps as the immobilize on the scepter is great for setting up smite / purging flames. Best part of that combo is while both are hitting the enemy you can queue up zealot’s flame (since it acts as a shout and can be used while other moves are channeling), and then activate it again to throw it at the enemy. Hammer has some great dps as well just from the raw damage it brings to the table. Throw in some crit chance on either weapon set and you’re going to see some awesome numbers fly up!

in Guardian

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Other than GS, your looking at more of a support role. GS is how guardians break from the trinity, and DPS. I dont think there is a next highest. Its all just standard. i.e. hammer after playing gs seems low, mace/shield is low, staff is low, etc…

in Guardian

Posted by: Bash.7291

Bash.7291

GS is highest for anything hitting more than 2 targets, maybe only more than 1. For one target, 1h sword + torch or focus is higher. focus is only more damage if you can land the explosion on #5.

Living Dead Girl ~ Necro
[Rev]

in Guardian

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

Lately it seems that people get different results from different weapons. Some say GSword is unmatched. Some say Hammer its top. I personally have had best damage with Sword/Torch.. And Scepter is quite good also. If you work with any of those four you should see some good damage output. Mace, Staff, Shield and Focus are utility or support. Gear stats and play style are the biggest factor though, balance those to what you want. It seems that some weapons perform based on the expectation of the user

Blood~

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

(edited by Bloodgruve.6038)

in Guardian

Posted by: Naekuh.7925

Naekuh.7925

Hammer with symbole spec’d is the highest DPS.

Symboles do 600dmg when traited + healing + Protection + vulnerability + the hammer hits twice on the main target.
Hammer lays down symbol at third atk… hence u have a perma symbol on the target if traited for symboles to last longer.

GS cant beat Hammer /w symboles…
Hammer / symbole build allows u to also spec into spirit weapons… so thats an additional 500-600 from the spirit sword.

Symbol trait is so overlooked cuz it makes your allies rooted over the symbol to get its bonuses..

But look at the traits.

Symbol of Protection - Hammer Create a symbol that gives protection to you and your allies.
Symbolic Exposure – Symbols apply vulnerability to foes.
Symbolic Power – Increases damage of symbols.
Writ of Exaltation – Symbols are larger.
Writ of Persistence – Symbols last longer.
Writ of the Merciful – All symbols heal allies.

And these all apply on the auto atk from hammer on the third hit.

(edited by Naekuh.7925)

in Guardian

Posted by: Darx.9842

Darx.9842

Hammer with symbole spec’d is the highest DPS.

Symboles do 600dmg when traited + healing + Protection + vulnerability + the hammer hits twice on the main target.
Hammer lays down symbol at third atk… hence u have a perma symbol on the target if traited for symboles to last longer.

GS cant beat Hammer /w symboles…
Hammer / symbole build allows u to also spec into spirit weapons… so thats an additional 500-600 from the spirit sword.

Symbol trait is so overlooked cuz it makes your allies rooted over the symbol to get its bonuses..

But look at the traits.

Symbol of Protection - Hammer Create a symbol that gives protection to you and your allies.
Symbolic Exposure – Symbols apply vulnerability to foes.
Symbolic Power – Increases damage of symbols.
Writ of Exaltation – Symbols are larger.
Writ of Persistence – Symbols last longer.
Writ of the Merciful – All symbols heal allies.

And these all apply on the auto atk from hammer on the third hit.

This seems viable, but are you sure about the end result? Symbolic power is only a 10% increase in symbol damage. And missing out on the valor line is missing out on 30% critical damage. Which is effectively +30% damage, 50% of the time. Plus no altruistic healing, or beefy Resolve. Healing from symbols isnt that great if I can remember.

in Guardian

Posted by: sirnibb.4709

sirnibb.4709

The highest single target burst from a guardian comes from sword/focus with a meditation build. 10/30/30/0/0. You pop your focus 5, then sword 3, then judges intervention, followed by smite condition. The burst is actually quite insane. As far as DPS goes, I would have to say sword/torch and GS will net you the best dps over time.

Rank 80 guild wars 2 player.

in Guardian

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

This seems viable, but are you sure about the end result? Symbolic power is only a 10% increase in symbol damage. And missing out on the valor line is missing out on 30% critical damage. Which is effectively +30% damage, 50% of the time. Plus no altruistic healing, or beefy Resolve. Healing from symbols isnt that great if I can remember.

Sounds correct from my experience, the thread is about max DPS not healing or support roles. Hammer with no traits does more damage than greatsword with no traits so it’s not a stretch to imagine it’s higher when you buff the symbol too.

in Guardian

Darx.9842

Sounds correct from my experience, the thread is about max DPS not healing or support roles. Hammer with no traits does more damage than greatsword with no traits so it’s not a stretch to imagine it’s higher when you buff the symbol too.

Think so? Whenever I use my hammer I just feel so weak, I mainly only use it for group support in dungeons when we need the full time protection. I just see huge numbers from whirlwind, GS auto attack, symbol, and a ticking binding blade. It may be because hammer 3 and 5 effectively do no damage.

in Guardian

Bloodgruve.6038

Here is a good link to show effectiveness of Crit and Crit Damage. If you have a base 30% crit chance and a base 0% crit damage you’ll increase your overall dps by 11.5%, if you have 30% crit chance and 30% crit damage you’ll increase your overall dps by 12.4%. You effectively lose 1% overall damage by losing 30% crit damage from valor, if this table is correct. That seems odd but that’s what the table says…

I see symbols hit 3 times for ~500 and crit for ~1k when traited for Writs.

Blood~

in Guardian

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

Think so? Whenever I use my hammer I just feel so weak, I mainly only use it for group support in dungeons when we need the full time protection. I just see huge numbers from whirlwind, GS auto attack, symbol, and a ticking binding blade. It may be because hammer 3 and 5 effectively do no damage.

Someone posted the numbers in another thread showing the hammer was higher than greatsword with identical traits. I’ll admit I haven’t done the testing myself in the mists to be sure but if you factor in how often those symbols are down and do damage for hammer vs greatsword there’s a lot of damage there taken for granted.

in Guardian

Darx.9842

Someone posted the numbers in another thread showing the hammer was higher than greatsword with identical traits. I’ll admit I haven’t done the testing myself in the mists to be sure but if you factor in how often those symbols are down and do damage for hammer vs greatsword there’s a lot of damage there taken for granted.

Yes, but there are many guardians out there who don’t realize you can let binding blade tick, which ticks harder than burning. Plus the higher rate of attacks on the GS plus empowering might will keep anywhere from 3-9ish stacks of might. Also using 2H mastery, which would be missed with this “symbol” build.

in Guardian

Bloodgruve.6038

2H Mastery isn’t needed for max DPS on Hammer because its Auto is its main damage and Mighty Blow is used every other rotation regardless of its cooldown.

For me Hammer and GSword have the same TTK in mists using the same build and optimizing rotations. Sword/Torch still beats both of them, for me at least.

in Guardian

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

I actually felt the opposite. Greatsword is fast and all, but the damage it yields doesn’t compare to hammer in the long run. Get the trait that putting an immobilize on someone also places 5 stacks of vulnerability and your #3 will be your best friend in any fight. Especially if someone is rooted on top of the symbol dropped by hammer #1 chain. That’s effectively 1-1.5k (depending on build) free damage from just placing a symbol, which can also add additional stacks of vulnerability from the Valor tree. Plus having access to 2 combo fields with one weapon to keep retaliation perpetually up is fantastic against bursty pvp builds.

in Guardian

Posted by: Edenwolf.6328

Edenwolf.6328

After recent changes to staff, ive actually encorperated it into my zerker build. You can go a number of ways here, I always use staff first to charge up my dps skyhigh with empower, throw down symbol and even orb of light (can crit for 5.5k ). Scepter/torch, greatsword or hammer all bring great dps to the table, I’d argue that greatsword does the most.

Alistat the White-Guardian, Edenwolf-Thief, Grimtech Jones-Necro Borlis Pass

in Guardian

Posted by: Vidal.5384

Vidal.5384

The best burst I have been able to produce is between the greatsword and scepter/torch. I use spirit sword and hammer to compliment this combo, I only play pvp so that might be why.

Scepter/torch – #3 imobilze the enemy. #2 smite on top of him. #4 Zealot (throw the fireball). #5 cleansing flame (at this point you should have moved into melee). Spirit weapons are activated on top for bonus damage and stun.
I have seen smite crit for 800 per hit(15 hits) . Zealot for 5,500. Flame for 5,500. Spirit hammer for extra 2,700. Sword for 2,500.

I usually move into a greatsword combo on top since they are stunned by the spirit hammer.

Greatsword – #5 for damage over time. #4symbol. #3leap. #2Whirl Wind. You can also have the spirit weapons hit on top if you prefer that setup. #5 crits for 1,500 per tick. #4 crits for 1,500. #3 crits for 2,700. #2 crits for a total of 5,500. Plus the spirit weapons =) you can then auto attack. I’ve seen the third hit crit for 3,300

Keep in mind this is with a sPvP build and gear. So pve would be higher.

(edited by Vidal.5384)

in Guardian

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

Scepter/Offhand builds are the highest DpS you can get, but it depends on Unscathed Contender (20% extra damage while you have Aegis).

If you’re running dungeons and you can stay pretty far away to avoid any hits, this is awesome. It even works in WvW if you want to stay ranged at all times.

I use a 30/0/0/30/10 build with 5% extra Scepter damage and Focus reduced CDs (so I can block more) and Shout utilities (all traited) to pop Aegis back up if I need to.
It’s sorta awesome because each little ball hits 750~1000+ depending on the enemy… but it’s boring as hell after a while lol

in Guardian

Posted by: Vidal.5384

Vidal.5384

Scepter/Offhand builds are the highest DpS you can get, but it depends on Unscathed Contender (20% extra damage while you have Aegis).

If you’re running dungeons and you can stay pretty far away to avoid any hits, this is awesome. It even works in WvW if you want to stay ranged at all times.

I use a 30/0/0/30/10 build with 5% extra Scepter damage and Focus reduced CDs (so I can block more) and Shout utilities (all traited) to pop Aegis back up if I need to.
It’s sorta awesome because each little ball hits 750~1000+ depending on the enemy… but it’s boring as hell after a while lol

Completely forgot about 20% damage with aegis. But I guess it’s because in pvp there is No good way to keep it up for long

in Guardian

Posted by: Tarsius.3170

Tarsius.3170

Going to comment more on sigils and utilities than actual weapons although:

Sword and Torch give insane dps if you know your target isn’t going to move. For more mobile targets then sceptre and focus is the way to go imho. (And ofc staff for might stacking)

It’s been a while since I played full zerker, and someone already mentioned my favourite combo of Shield of Wrath + Judges Intervention.

I’ll also add that Sigil of Force and Sigil of Night stack, which is an extra +15% damage on top of the usual boosts you get from unscathed contender and fiery wrath.

Have a spare offhand or two so you can either charge up Sigil of Bloodlust or Sigil of Perception to 25 stacks to maximise either your crit chance or power depending on what your build is lacking.

On a max crit damage/chance setup with fury you also get some impressive aoe burst using Sigil of Rage and staff staff#1 ( Quickness ftw ).

I’ll throw in a mention for Justice is Blind which applies a helfty amount of vulnerability if you blind multiple mobs in one hit, which can have a big impact on the numbers flashing up on your screen.

I never went full glass cannon, but I’ve definitely seen the torch#5 and sword #3 channel for 12-13k damage on orian vets and champions, so I imagine it’s possible to get much higher.

Warhaft Tarsius – Asura Guardian ( Desolation ) – [NUKE]
Guardian FAQ · BUGS · HEALING

(edited by Tarsius.3170)

in Guardian

Posted by: Bombul.2506

Bombul.2506

Here is a good link to show effectiveness of Crit and Crit Damage. If you have a base 30% crit chance and a base 0% crit damage you’ll increase your overall dps by 11.5%, if you have 30% crit chance and 30% crit damage you’ll increase your overall dps by 12.4%. You effectively lose 1% overall damage by losing 30% crit damage from valor, if this table is correct. That seems odd but that’s what the table says…

I see symbols hit 3 times for ~500 and crit for ~1k when traited for Writs.

Blood~

Pretty sure the table reads 30% crit chance 0% crit damage = 15% increased damage, 30% crit chance 30% crit damage = 24% increased damage netting to a 9% difference in damage. The table seems to be a multiplier…i.e. 1.15 = normal damage * 1.15 or 115% of normal damage total.

in Guardian

Posted by: Alvik.4207

Alvik.4207

Pretty sure the table reads 30% crit chance 0% crit damage = 15% increased damage, 30% crit chance 30% crit damage = 24% increased damage netting to a 9% difference in damage. The table seems to be a multiplier…i.e. 1.15 = normal damage * 1.15 or 115% of normal damage total.

And 1.15→1.24 is an increase of 7.826%

in Guardian

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

GS/Sceptor + Torch.

in Guardian

Posted by: Monoman.2068

Monoman.2068

I mainly use sword/torch with GS as a finisher and for dealing damage against larger groups. I won’t say that it’s the most effective offensive choice on the guardian, but for a good balance of damage and fun I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Laviere – Hybrid Wellomancer
Makonne – Hybrid Regen Ranger

in Guardian

Bloodgruve.6038

You are correct, the explanation of the table is misleading with the example given when you attempt to read it quickly. Makes a lot more sense now. Sorry for my lack of math and speed reading skill Thanks for the correction.

Blood~