How Useful is Permeating Wrath

in Guardian

Posted by: ZacHank.1358

ZacHank.1358

So I’ve been studying Guardian and the biggest question I have is how useful Permeating Wrath is when Big Game Hunter is activated. As I understand it, Big Game Hunter would mean I’m using Spear of Justice as often as possible which decreases the effectiveness of Permeating Wrath. As a GS/LB Guardian, is Permeating Wrath still useful to take? Or should I swap out either that trait or all of the Virtues specialization for something else?

Thanks!

in Guardian

Posted by: VectorVineyard.8379

VectorVineyard.8379

As I understand it, Permeating Wrath better suits a burn guardian than a power-based GS/LB Dragonhunter, and vice versa for Big Game Hunter. As a burn guardian myself, I would lose a good chunk of DPS by using Justice active since I would then have to spend the cooldown period without my AOE burn every 3 hits.

If PW is the primary reason for your choosing Virtues, I’d suggest swapping it for another specialization. You could trait one of the other two grandmasters for team support (another stun breaker when taking Indomitable Courage) as well. I think it really comes down to how often you utilize Virtue actives.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Virtues is a great traitline, but Permeating Wrath and Big Game Hunter actively oppose each other. Indomitable Courage would be a better choice for that grandmaster slot.

Fishsticks

in Guardian

ZacHank.1358

As I understand it, Permeating Wrath better suits a burn guardian than a power-based GS/LB Dragonhunter, and vice versa for Big Game Hunter. As a burn guardian myself, I would lose a good chunk of DPS by using Justice active since I would then have to spend the cooldown period without my AOE burn every 3 hits.

If PW is the primary reason for your choosing Virtues, I’d suggest swapping it for another specialization. You could trait one of the other two grandmasters for team support (another stun breaker when taking Indomitable Courage) as well. I think it really comes down to how often you utilize Virtue actives.

PW isn’t the only reason, the dps increase from unscathed contender is really nice and Virtuous Solace can be a life saver. I do tend to use my Virtues as often as possible but perhaps I shouldn’t be?

That said, what other trait line would you recommend for a power GS/LB Guardian?

in Guardian

ZacHank.1358

Virtues is a great traitline, but Permeating Wrath and Big Game Hunter actively oppose each other. Indomitable Courage would be a better choice for that grandmaster slot.

That’s what I was thinking, glad I’m not the only one who saw that, ha. I’ll give that a try next time I do Fractals to see how it goes. Thanks!

in Guardian

VectorVineyard.8379

PW isn’t the only reason, the dps increase from unscathed contender is really nice and Virtuous Solace can be a life saver. I do tend to use my Virtues as often as possible but perhaps I shouldn’t be?

That said, what other trait line would you recommend for a power GS/LB Guardian?

If your current build is Virtues/DH than I don’t think using Virtue actives too often will be much of an issue. In fact, I’d say you get more out of Virtue traits by using them more often; you probably have lots of Retaliation and Might thanks to Inspired Virtue and Virtue of Retribution. You benefit more than me from Virtues because you use the actives more often. My damage is primarily based on the fact that I stick to Justice passive, so I don’t benefit from the buffs to actives as well as you.

Since your build is power-based, consider looking into traits described as “Deal more damage if XYZ” since those bonuses are power-based as well – examples being Unscathed Contender in Virtues, Retribution in Radiance, and Fiery Wrath, Symbolic Power, and Symbolic Avenger in Zeal.
Something else to think on is how often you apply Aegis/Retaliation, drop symbols, or use utility skills.

That said, I think Zeal would be the best bet for your third specialization. You’ve got a lot of options for buffing symbols, Aegis, greatsword, Immobilize/Blind, and burns. It’s a great all-rounder specialization.

in Guardian

ZacHank.1358

If your current build is Virtues/DH than I don’t think using Virtue actives too often will be much of an issue. In fact, I’d say you get more out of Virtue traits by using them more often; you probably have lots of Retaliation and Might thanks to Inspired Virtue and Virtue of Retribution. You benefit more than me from Virtues because you use the actives more often. My damage is primarily based on the fact that I stick to Justice passive, so I don’t benefit from the buffs to actives as well as you.

Since your build is power-based, consider looking into traits described as “Deal more damage if XYZ” since those bonuses are power-based as well – examples being Unscathed Contender in Virtues, Retribution in Radiance, and Fiery Wrath, Symbolic Power, and Symbolic Avenger in Zeal.
Something else to think on is how often you apply Aegis/Retaliation, drop symbols, or use utility skills.

That said, I think Zeal would be the best bet for your third specialization. You’ve got a lot of options for buffing symbols, Aegis, greatsword, Immobilize/Blind, and burns. It’s a great all-rounder specialization.

Yup, I’m using Zeal as my third spec.

I drop symbols whenever possible and same for most utilities. I use Shelter for heal whenever it makes sense, Bane Signet for the passive, Procession of Blades whenever it’s off cool down, and Feel My Wrath whenever it’s off cool down. My 3rd utility slot usually has Test of Faith for the Protection and damage but I swap this out for whatever seems necessary like Retreat for example.

Aegis currently only comes from Shield of Courage, Fragments of Faith when I use it, and Retreat when I use it.

Retaliation currently comes when I activate virtues which is whenever possible, activating Stand Your Ground which isn’t often, and when I put down my Symbol of Wrath when using GS.

How should I think about these actions in regards to my build?

Thanks!

in Guardian

VectorVineyard.8379

It looks like you’ll have Retaliation almost constantly. Maximizing that potential damage spike would mean tanking big hits, more importantly TAKING them as opposed to blocking with Aegis. Thinking about balancing Retal damage and sustain, I see two options:

1. Take every hit to maximize Retaliation, emulating a traditional tank. I imagine such a playstyle involves dropping symbols at your feet and holding your ground, not moving around much. Open with Longbow attacks, then prepare your symbols/AOEs and swap to Greatsword for a battle of attrition. Forgo Aegis for Retaliation until you’re about to die, then block attacks and heal up. Soldier’s or Sentinel’s (or even Nomad’s) gear would be good for this type of tank, since you would have to maximize your sustainability for this to work.

2. Burst your target and use Retaliation to supplement your DPS during cooldowns. This would be a more mobile playstyle; instead of taking big hits, dodge and block damage while using your utilities and stronger weapon skills, then take smaller hits while on Retaliation. Berserker’s or Knight’s gear would help with this.

In all honesty, I’d go for option 2. It’s been my experience that DPS is king in this game. Battles of attrition are usually lost here.

in Guardian

Posted by: Pregnantman.8259

Pregnantman.8259

Big Game Hunter does oppose Permeating Wrath, so its a waste to take them both. That being said, I find Permeating Wrath better at situations I lack might in PvE. If I don’t have might, I usually swap Fiery Wrath with Zealous Scepter and go with Permeating Wrath, as having 25 might is that important.

in Guardian

Posted by: yLoon.5289

yLoon.5289

PW works great in Condi Guard, specially in PvP when you Scepter2+Torch5 at ressing opponents xD. Only perform the best IF you are able to hit multiple targets.

But yeah, as what everyone commented, choose either BGH or PW, both cannot coexist together or it will be counterproductive.

In WvW, commander value Guard the most for the stability/stun break at F3 at Virtue Indormitable Courage.

12K AP
Level 54 Bear Rank

in Guardian

ZacHank.1358

Thanks for the suggestions guys! This has been really helpful