How do you play keep defense/takes in WvWvW?

in Guardian

Posted by: Oyjord.2508

Oyjord.2508

I love all the options Guardians have in PvE, but I’m a bit at a loss how to get badges in WvWvW keep action. Any tips?

in Guardian

Posted by: Aramarys.4251

Aramarys.4251

pretty easy for guardians actually.
I use GS/staff you pretty much stand behind the gate and spam #1 with staff, untill #4 is off CD, cast it then use #3, swap to GS, run through portal drop a Reflection wall, and #2,#5,#4 run back inside. rinse and repeat.

in Guardian

Posted by: Pay.8713

Pay.8713

In addition to the above, you could also do one of the following:
- Spec into laying consecrations down and put wall of reflection at the wall along with Smiting with Sceptre
- Use Arrow Carts (does take badges or silver though)

in Guardian

Posted by: shedim.8504

shedim.8504

So you’re basically saying that the guardian is the only profession in this agme with no viable, dun and satisfying ranged capabilities and only useful when they buy arrow carts or wait until their 30+ second cooldowns are available again?

I don’t know how people could design something like that. The devs did such an outstanding job, but didn’t see this coming?

in Guardian

Posted by: Epoch.5396

Epoch.5396

I do fine :P

Go out a door.
Kill people then (block)heal and reflect to get back inside. Cure anything that sticks.

With 2 teleports and decent burst it works and were one of the few classes that can actually go melee in a keep fight

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation

in Guardian

Posted by: khisola.7340

khisola.7340

“So you’re basically saying that the guardian is the only profession in this agme with no viable, dun and satisfying ranged capabilities and only useful when they buy arrow carts or wait until their 30+ second cooldowns are available again?

I don’t know how people could design something like that. The devs did such an outstanding job, but didn’t see this coming?

Absolutely working as intended. If our ranged options were improved we’d be borderline op. Smite and the scepter and staff 1 aren’t great but are plenty for a class that has so much utility and so many defensive options and ways in which to keep oneself and one’s realmmates alive. I wouldn’t hold out for Anet to change our ranged any time soon.

There are tons of threads on GW2guru re: Guardian and ranged options, though, so you’re certainly not alone in wishing there were more for the class. I, too, admittedly get bored sometimes in keep defenses but I still believe that any other ranged option would be imba. Just my .$02.

in Guardian

Posted by: Squishei.5810

Squishei.5810

I am full tank spec, jump down, pop stand your ground and hold the line. And just disrupt as much as possible before dodging back in the gate. Even the smallest disruption will play with people’s minds. Especially pulls such as GS 5 skill.

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

I just use the staff and spam AoE on the gate. Plus ToW with is even better spamming AoEs.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in Guardian

Posted by: Zen.2476

Zen.2476

Not to mention there is a multitude of other things you can do in WvW. I’m unable to participate in the larger scale battles in general because my computer can’t handle them. Admittedly I have a thief but recon missions and running small charges can help turn the tides more than 90% of the server fighting at one keep anyway. Instead of standing at the keep gates why not lead a small charge elsewhere?

in Guardian

Posted by: Shodan.7026

Shodan.7026

Wv3 = Staff + something else, I swap between Hammer and GS depending on the group i’m with.

If defending on top of the walls Tome of Wrath (spam 1, watch for retaliation though), jump down, pop wall of reflection in front of the gate, dodge back in (Stand your ground is a big help).
If at the gate, staff autoattack goes through this as does other aoe’s, so your hitting usually 3 people and the ram(s).
Keeping aoe retaliation (GS/Hammer) and aoe protection (hammer) up on rams/operators/yourself is a big help, as is running back and poledancing (empower) for your ranged classes.
Line/Ring of warding is great for dropping in front of the enemy entrance to stop people diving with low health.

Wall of reflection is your most damaging ranged skill and provides the most giggles are you watch all the glass cannon specced range classes kill themselves because theey’ve gone afk autoattacking the gate

Sho Dan – Asuri Guardian
Guild: Futilez [FU] (http://www.futilez.com)
Alliance: FUBAR (http://www.pevepe.net) – Seafarer’s Rest