How to fix Spirit Weapons

in Guardian

Posted by: Aedrion.6483

Aedrion.6483

Seriously…
Year 3 and these are still useless? How in the name of a fat Koda’s bum is that possible?

Just do this.

Spirit Sword: Increase movement speed by 50% so it can move swiftly from foe to foe. Add a target zone to the active command so you can choose where it lands. Upon use, make the sword blink to that location so it’s nearly, but not completely, instant.

Spirit Hammer: Increase movement speed by 50% so it can move swiftly from foe to foe. When activated, make the hammer quickly leap to the targets location. Allowing a foe to dodge but making it more reliable.

Spirit Bow: Make it cast a ray of light that bounces, cleasing a condition on allies and applying vulnerablity on foes. Reduce cooldown time on the skill itself. The active is fine.

Spirit shield: Make it pop the bubble on top of the guardian and stay there so it won’t spawn somewhere in nowhere. When used, apply weakness to foes and protection to allies within the shield’s radius or inside the dome.

Spirit weapons cannot be critically struck.

BOOM! And now thery’re useful, woot… all it took was 5 minutes of thinking instead of slacking on lunch breaks and having chats about your cat near the water cooler. :P

in Guardian

Posted by: Silhouette.5631

Silhouette.5631

Mr.Whiskers is an important part of this community and you- ! Ahem I mean. Those are some interesting thoughts on spirit weapons. The updates to the AI would certainly be a boon. I’m not to fond of making them uncritable though.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Between the horrible AI, the fact that if they die your stuck with nothing but wasted traits, the fact that they have low base HP and you cannot upgrade their HP at all they really should just get rid of their current iteration and start all over.

I say that because reliance on an AI is just bad design for the class & the game no mater how good or bad the AI is.

Personally I would like to see them either
1: Redesigned to be more like elementalist conjure weapons
or
2: Redesigned to be a mix between warrior banners & ranger spirits. In that I mean they would be stationary (you could pick them up to lower the CD), invulnerable & give a static buff to allies nearby but be able to command them to give the guardian a buff specific to the weapon.

in Guardian

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

Personally , when traited (Expeditious Spirit ) Sword Of justice is really good on a burning Guard build , each swing burn foes + 5 Vulnerability .. i get around 2 600 Burning damage with my build.

The spirit shield is situational .. i use in conjunction with wall of reflection. When the wall is a at 22 second cooldown i cast the shield so the shield takes over when the wall end. Hammer life is too short , cool down too long .. even with a blast finisher it don’t worth it.

SpiritBow is totally useless .. make it shoot at foes .. water field on command ?

in Guardian

Posted by: Druss.6917

Druss.6917

The sword attacking isn’t too bad right now. I would think 50% speed on any of them is over the top. A perma swiftness boost with the in-combat limitations would be fine though. Their biggest problem is survivability, just like almost every summon besides mesmer clones because who cares if a clone dies in 2 seconds, make 3 more in it’s place. Their damage is not bad, never has been horrible but the durations on them coupled with really long recharges even when traited cripple them and make them highly undesirable.

The shield bubble I think is ok as-is. I know it’s annoying to have it pop behind where you are fighting sometimes, but I’ve also found good uses for that, in that it guards the squishies.

The bow however, it seems to only work when it feels like it, even then…. a single condi removed on a single target every 7 seconds or so…not to mention it thinks it’s a melee dps weapon so it stands directly next to the enemy instead of back like it should.

Nah, bow needs total rework. It needs to have some function much like focus 4- bouncing between allies and foes, removing condis on allies and debuffing foes (I do not think it needs a damaging ability at all though other than any burning it would apply when triated)

“Come to me and die you stinking whoresons. For I am Druss, and This is Death!”

in Guardian

Posted by: Assic.2746

Assic.2746

There are a few issues with Spirit Weapon:
1. Its attacks are really slow.
2. When you run forward and you order your Spirit Weapon to do sth, it often stays behind and you have to wait till it comes to you.
3. It often dies in teamfight/in AoE.
4. After summoning all of your weapons you will stay with nothing for next 30s.
5. Spirit Weapons can be good in PvE, but not in PvP and WvW if you are going to take all three of them as utilities.

The best Spirit Weapon is definitely: Shield, because it doesn’t attack on its own so it won’t die in AoE easily. You can feel that it protects you from projectiles. Plus its active ability always works and it is mostly useful in combat.

What to change:
I don’t think that Spirit Weapons in current form are useful. Spirit Weapon shouldn’t appear in the physical form as summons but more like commands.
1. You can no longer summon a Spirit Weapon in a physical form.
2. You can command Spirit Weapon to appear for a short period of time (untargetable), do what it does (heal in the area, knockback, AoE damage, AoE Aegis + dome) and then disappear. I mean something like Revenant’s hammer skill #5 where weapon appears only as a animation.
3. Cooldown would be much shorter: sword-15s, hammer-20s, bow-30s, shield-30s.

Trait:
1. Spirit Weapons cooldowns are reduced by: 20%.
2. Spirit Weapons give boons to allies around their target: sword-retaliation, hammer-might, shield-protection, bow-regeneration. //but since it’s in Zeal line it must be sth more offensive not boons, gotta think about it

(edited by Assic.2746)