I always hear Warriors say they wish they had gone guardian....

in Guardian

Posted by: Kaine.3501

Kaine.3501

I hear warrior after warrior tell me that they wish they had gone guardian….

But do any of you guardians wish that you had gone warrior? And why?

Attachments:

Server: Kaineng
Name: “Kaide” (Kaine is just the account name)

in Guardian

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Somewhat. Wish I had the range option of Warriors, but overall I’m happy with my Guardian. Working on a Necro or Mesmer next.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in Guardian

Posted by: Y u mad its vydia.6324

Y u mad its vydia.6324

Everytime I have to use my Scepter I curl into a ball and cry, thinking about Warrior Longbow.

Malaakh. [EU] Desolation.

in Guardian

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

I do wish I would have went Warrior with the exception of the 1handed sword option (I absolutely love Guardian’s 1h sword abilities)

Warriors have more options in terms of weapons which is HUGE. I’ve learned that torch AND shield offhand are pretty useless options. The torch brings Zealot’s Flame to the table, which is the only good thing imo, and a channeled 600 range breath ability which is totally mediocre (I’d rather be autoing with my 1h sword).

Guardian’s 1h mace is severely disappointing – It doesn’t have any sort of debuff application (weakness, cripple, etc). It has a terrible channeled block mechanic (which was buffed so you could run with it, but it’s still terrible, let’s agree). Oh, and that tiny symbol in which no one ever stands.

We also lack ANY form of long range option (scepter is not included, sorry boys. You can run away from scepter autoattacks without any speed buffs from 600 range without taking any damage – means I have to be CLOSER than 600 to hit you, WITHOUT any speed buffs mind you) Which makes Wv3 a total bore. Added to the low quality of scepter projectile pathing, it also SOUNDS and LOOKS terrible to use. SO basically your only range option looks bad.

The only offhand option that is good is the Focus (and it’s really good.)

Many complain about the Warrior’s burst ability being a boring mechanic, but let me tell you, Guardian’s “special mechanics” aka Virtues are even MORE boring. You pretty much never activate 2 or 3, because removing the passive is not worth it. So you’re left with one activation (same as Warrior) that isn’t available as often, and isn’t an additional attack or fun option to use.

Warriors seem to have more fun swinging around what’s available to them. And after having a warrior in my party bring amazing buffs to the table via shouts (I don’t like banners nearly as much) I have to say they bring not only awesome damage but utility to the table.

P.S. Now that I think of it, our 2h hammer rocks too.

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

in Guardian

Posted by: Kaine.3501

Kaine.3501

I do wish I would have went Warrior with the exception of the 1handed sword option (I absolutely love Guardian’s 1h sword abilities)

Warriors have more options in terms of weapons which is HUGE. I’ve learned that torch AND shield offhand are pretty useless options. The torch brings Zealot’s Flame to the table, which is the only good thing imo, and a channeled 600 range breath ability which is totally mediocre (I’d rather be autoing with my 1h sword).

Guardian’s 1h mace is severely disappointing – It doesn’t have any sort of debuff application (weakness, cripple, etc). It has a terrible channeled block mechanic (which was buffed so you could run with it, but it’s still terrible, let’s agree). Oh, and that tiny symbol in which no one ever stands.

We also lack ANY form of long range option (scepter is not included, sorry boys. You can run away from scepter autoattacks without any speed buffs from 600 range without taking any damage – means I have to be CLOSER than 600 to hit you, WITHOUT any speed buffs mind you) Which makes Wv3 a total bore. Added to the low quality of scepter projectile pathing, it also SOUNDS and LOOKS terrible to use. SO basically your only range option looks bad.

The only offhand option that is good is the Focus (and it’s really good.)

Many complain about the Warrior’s burst ability being a boring mechanic, but let me tell you, Guardian’s “special mechanics” aka Virtues are even MORE boring. You pretty much never activate 2 or 3, because removing the passive is not worth it. So you’re left with one activation (same as Warrior) that isn’t available as often, and isn’t an additional attack or fun option to use.

Warriors seem to have more fun swinging around what’s available to them. And after having a warrior in my party bring amazing buffs to the table via shouts (I don’t like banners nearly as much) I have to say they bring not only awesome damage but utility to the table.

P.S. Now that I think of it, our 2h hammer rocks too.

thank you for the the feedback

Server: Kaineng
Name: “Kaide” (Kaine is just the account name)

in Guardian

Posted by: Zsymon.8457

Zsymon.8457

My warrior was a thousand times better as my guardian in everything my guardian could do, and a thousand times more fun at it as well. The only reason I went back to guardian was because I have issues playing a dumb brute type of profession, I need to have some kind of magic.

in Guardian

Posted by: Pong.7934

Pong.7934

If only guardian have better range and shield then I’ll be content, but currently we fail at those 2 despite being a guardian. I mean our shield should be >warriors since we are “Guardian.”

Sorrow’s Furnace ~ Gielinor ~ Gullwings ~ Proudmoore ~ Forcelia ~ Cinna

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

I still like the Guardian more than the Warrior.

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

Since they buffed the Hammer to include the jumping gap close on #2, I have to say no way.

Now I can support in WvW with the Staff and Consecrations, then jump into melee range to break heads with the Hammer AoE. And make it back to friendly lines with my Virtues and Renewed Focus.

My badge count has gone up considerably.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

in Guardian

Posted by: Naru.4521

Naru.4521

Well I already have lvl 80 warrior, but honestly that class is painfully boring for me, so i created engi and lvled it to 65 but then wasnt nothing good for me in pve. So I rolled to guardian and lvled him to 80 and having blast with him using sword as main weapon.
And using mine warrior as another toon for farming orichalcum ores, and do not regret throwing warrior away

Tho guardian really lack some normal ranged weapon with at least 1 ranged aoe skill on it.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kazak.8459

Kazak.8459

Since they buffed the Hammer to include the jumping gap close on #2, I have to say no way.

then jump into melee range to break heads with the Hammer AoE.

What do you mean a jump with a hammer? What/How did they update it? Am I missing something…

in Guardian

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

I like Warriors. Warriors are a solid, fun class. I’m a bit jealous of their Longbow and some of their traits. They have incredible versatility when it comes to aggressive options.

But I’d never trade either of my two Guardians for a Warrior. I’d miss the support far too much. I don’t think there’s a single Guardian weapon I flat-out dislike, although Scepter seems forced on us too often and Shield could use some tweaking. I love the style—I love being tough, strong and creating huge waves of light with my attacks. I think our Greatsword, Hammer and Sword are way more fun.

While I agree with George Steel on his comments about ranged options and focus, I disagree with his appraisal of Mace and Torch.

Mace is slow and ponderous but very effective and reliable. The symbol is a little slow, but with the right traits, it can become a steady and potent source of regeneration, healing and damage with a much wider radius—on a very short cooldown. And I absolutely love Mace #3. The reason is that Block mechanics become more useful the more you have available to you. With Mace’s Block on a short-ish cooldown, it works nicely with Focus’s block mechanics and Sword’s blind to create a steady chain of reliable mitigation. To top it off, Mace’s Block will block any attack directed toward any ally within its radius, and furthermore, the counter-swing it delivers hits hard.

Torch’s two abilities provide a strong damage option and pair nicely with Sword. Torch #5 deals decent damage and has a cone. The channeling effect is long, yes, but it removes conditions on any nearby allies. With practice and good timing, it’s potentially highly effective, doubling as a damage dealer and a condition remover. And Torch #4 is an excellent option for spreading burn on demand, and doubles as a good ranged attack.

I like Mace. Like much of the Guardian class, it’s not perfect, but it’s solid and reliable.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

in Guardian

Posted by: Crazer.3270

Crazer.3270

One word about Warriors—BORING. I tried a number of characters and leveled them all to lvls 14-15 to get a grasp on their mechanics and overall style of gameplay. I tried PVE, sPVP, WvWvW. And I must say I literally can’t force myself to play a Warrior anymore. All your warrior can do is jump, charge and smash things with different weapons, most of which you wont use anyway. Can you think of at least one “cool” warrior’s ability? I cant. No cool animations, no magic effects, no setting people on fire (or breathing it from your mouth, lol), no reflective fields, no teleports, nothing. Support skills? Youre kidding, right?

Yes, warrior can be a good class for a starter, because you can just mash your buttons in no particular order as soon as they go off cooldown and be quite successful. But you get bored very quick.

Sure, warrior got better ranged capabilities, but is it fun to play a warrior in WvWvW and fire you rifle nonstop from max range pretending you`re some freaking ranger? No. And I think guardian’s ranged skills will get some love from devs with time passing.

That’s why I play Guardian, currently lvl 50 and rocking.

in Guardian

Posted by: Edenwolf.6328

Edenwolf.6328

After lvling a thief, I decided to make a heavy armor class, warrior or guardian. At the end of the day, warrior was far too simple and I knew I would get bored with, so here I am lvling my guardian and loving every minute of it. I just wish they would increase the speed of scepter auto attack projectiles, then it would be boss.

Alistat the White-Guardian, Edenwolf-Thief, Grimtech Jones-Necro Borlis Pass

(edited by Edenwolf.6328)

in Guardian

Posted by: Aramanth.1546

Aramanth.1546

I came into this game thinking I could abide by the holy trinity and come out on top. I’ve always played a tank and enjoyed protecting others, so I naturally went with the GUARDian. It wasn’t until later that I learned warriors not only have superior HP and defense but get a legitimate block on their shield skill, and defense/healing is entirely useless in most situations because in the field I was laughed at for not one shotting everything and in the dungeons I get 2 shotted by EVERYTHING anyway. Apparently there’s some sort of infinite endurance combo I’m not aware of because all I hear is dodge, dodge, dodge. Some of those skills are spammed, you can’t dodge every one! The problem with dodge is it undermines the value of 2/3 of the tactics in all MMOs- protecting others and keeping them alive. It’ll eventually come down to who can hit the hardest, which just destroys all strategy if all we care about are numbers. A single build will be considered superior to all others, and everyone will choose it. The variety and diversity Arenanet talked about for this game will disappear as everyone lines up to be a DPS warrior or mage. A part of me wishes I could just jump on the bandwagon early and switch to a thief or something for pure damage, but another part wishes tanking was still viable in every area other than the map 40 levels lower than you.

in Guardian

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Give me boring over kitten anyday.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

@Aramanth: You came in with the wrong expectations. One of the first thing people generally learned about Guild Wars 2 was that traditional roles (tank & healer) didn’t exist.
That being said, you “tank” to some degree, by controlling enemies or preventing damage.
And we do that better than Warriors. Don’t be mistaken by our relatively low native health.
And there are already multiple viable builds floating around the forum.

“Come on, hit me!”

in Guardian

Posted by: Disconnected.9253

Disconnected.9253

One word about Warriors—BORING. I tried a number of characters and leveled them all to lvls 14-15 to get a grasp on their mechanics and overall style of gameplay. I tried PVE, sPVP, WvWvW. And I must say I literally can’t force myself to play a Warrior anymore. All your warrior can do is jump, charge and smash things with different weapons, most of which you wont use anyway. Can you think of at least one “cool” warrior’s ability? I cant. No cool animations, no magic effects, no setting people on fire (or breathing it from your mouth, lol), no reflective fields, no teleports, nothing. Support skills? Youre kidding, right?

Yes, warrior can be a good class for a starter, because you can just mash your buttons in no particular order as soon as they go off cooldown and be quite successful. But you get bored very quick.

Sure, warrior got better ranged capabilities, but is it fun to play a warrior in WvWvW and fire you rifle nonstop from max range pretending you`re some freaking ranger? No. And I think guardian’s ranged skills will get some love from devs with time passing.

That’s why I play Guardian, currently lvl 50 and rocking.

I find guardian more boring than warrior. It’s all a matter of taste

in Guardian

Posted by: Tsaritsin.5364

Tsaritsin.5364

Yes, I wish I had just rolled the ‘generic’ Warrior class from the start, but I didn’t, I rolled a Guardian, I tend to view this as my mistake, not Anet’s mistake.

Though I do tend to feel that the Guardian class/proff (lol), is a little ‘kittened’, I’m just waiting for Anet to release a kitten mask in the cash shop, and then I shall buy one for my lvl 80 Guardian.

Currently lvling a Warr (lvl 38) and a Ranger (lvl 35), and yeah my Warr is a little boring sometimes, but can do anything that my Guardian can do, except that he can do it better, and switch to a viable ranged weapon when needed.

Notice the mention of the word ‘viable’ in relation to ranged weapons, dare I mention Scepter, kitten I just have), Scepter, really ??, Anet really ??, it turns the whole Guardian class into a joke,

Why ?, because the whole game is a dps Zerg fest, and for that you must have a viable ranged dps option, and the Guardian has none, don’t mention scepter, please lol.

Ahh, but he has Support, and Dmg Mitigation skills you say, and yes he does, but as the game is set up at the moment, they are not even needed, everything is a dps zerg, every object in the game is simply overcome with dps,

And if you Die, it dosn’t matter, you simply run back in (in the case of dungeons), in WvWvW if you die, then the whole zerg is dieing, you got hit by a bigger zerg (lol) and no amount of ‘support’ is gonna change that.

So Guardian has no role, no purpose, no reason to even be there, just wasted space, wearing a kitten mask, because Anet got scared.

Warrior is boring yes, but they pump out massive dps, they have a high health pool, and a VIABLE ranged weapon option,

And to be frank, thats all this game wants, or needs.

I shall not be there, I shall rise and pass,
Bury my heart at Wounded Knee.

(edited by Tsaritsin.5364)

in Guardian

Posted by: Morelia.6835

Morelia.6835

Grass is always greener on the other side.

in Guardian

Posted by: Vorpal.4683

Vorpal.4683

I’ve never had a single warrior tell me he wish he’d gone guardian. All the warriors I know are amazed at how good their class is and think it’s only a matter of time before certain builds are adjusted downwards.

I hear “I am an unstoppable God of death” from warriors, not “boy I wish I had rolled a class with less damage potential, much less health, and no range!”

in Guardian

Posted by: Bhuta.1480

Bhuta.1480

I went warrior and then at lvl 42 switched to guardian and am actually on the verge of deleting my warrior as I found all the skills to be very dull. Now have a lvl 80 Guardian and that will stay my main now.