I have no idea what I'm doing.

in Guardian

Posted by: Layam.9065

Layam.9065

Q:

There I’ve admitted it. I look at my Guardian who’s 80, and in the middle of doing the full map completion and I can’t tell if I’m playing him right.

When I’m done with map completion I’d like him to be a PVPer, one that can go toe to toe with anyone and still be a benefit to his team. He’s 0/0/10/30/30, taking:
Purity,
Resolute Healer, Superior Aria, Pure Voice,
Vengeful, Absolute Resolution and Indomitable Courage.

He uses a GS/Hammer
With Shelter as his heal,
Stand Your Ground
Save Yourselves
Hold the Line
and Renewed Focus

Here are his stats: http://i.imgur.com/tFdjcHi.jpg

What do I need to do? I looked at the pvp thread but so many of those builds don’t have links to them so I don’t understand how to build them.

in Guardian

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Don’t build him for pvp while doing pve. Big difference in the two. Mostly you should wait to play him more. Guardians are in a tough spot right now as far as the meta is concerned. There are classes that do what we can, but better.

in Guardian

Layam.9065

How are GS warriors after I finish Map Completion I’ll want to make a Warrior next.

in Guardian

Posted by: Dragonmarked.8076

Dragonmarked.8076

1st: GSSBlunaspike is correct, a build you use in PvE is going to differ than PVP and in doing map completion as a guardian almost any build works except for when you are trying to solo champions.

2nd: Taking a look at your gear/stats unless you transmogged everything it doesnt look like your in full exotics, therefore if you are going to PvP that should be your first investment, I promise it will help.

3rd: “I’d like him to be a PvPer, one that can go toe to toe with anyone and still be a benefit to his team.” I don’t know exactly what you mean by standing toe to toe to be defined as killing or not dieing in a 1 on 1 so clarification might be helpful.

4th: Assuming PvP means WvW build (different than sPvP) you have to also look at the people you are going to run with, a zerg build and a small group or a solo roamer build is different.

Clarifying all of those will help us greatly in assisting you in being a bad-kitten guarding.

P.S. Guardian is a front-line brawler that can heal, yes ELE can out-heal us in groups, and yes warrior can out-brawl us but we do both well enough. Just in response to GSSBlunaspike’s last sentence.

in Guardian

Layam.9065

1.) Fair enough
2.) They’re all rares, and yeah they’re transmogged
3.) I’d like to be able fight and be a threat 1 v1, not fully a support character not fully a solo pvper. As I am most likely going to be puging most of my pvp experience(Through WvW and this game’s version of battlegrounds.
Is there a good middle of the road build I can use, does a bit of support, stays on the front line and helps kill opponents.

4.) My own research seemed to suggest a specter/shield/hammer build but I’m not sure I wanted other opinions.

in Guardian

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

P.S. Guardian is a front-line brawler that can heal, yes ELE can out-heal us in groups, and yes warrior can out-brawl us but we do both well enough. Just in response to GSSBlunaspike’s last sentence.

I was talking about spvp where guardians are pretty much bunker or gtfo. When I see PvP I consider it spvp, or tpvp as usually people refer to wvw as wvw wv3 etc.

In spvp we are generally only going to be bunkers. Which we are good at, I’m not saying guardians suck at that. What I’m saying is that with the high health, high armor condition spam meta that’s come about guardians aren’t as good as other bunkers when dealing with this meta. We just aren’t.

There are professions that can do it better. It’s mostly because lots of guardian abilities are based around physical damage mitigation. Once you make it so that there is no need for that you remove one of the best parts of a guardian. Compare it to professions with much better condition mitigation, or that Guardians have the lowest tier of health of just absorbing the damage isn’t very effective.

I’ve gotten off topic though, sorry. Just wanted to clear up what I said.

in Guardian

Posted by: Kintari.4172

Kintari.4172

3.) I’d like to be able fight and be a threat 1 v1, not fully a support character not fully a solo pvper. As I am most likely going to be puging most of my pvp experience(Through WvW and this game’s version of battlegrounds.
Is there a good middle of the road build I can use, does a bit of support, stays on the front line and helps kill opponents.

Try this one:
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-7g-Z;1NF-40M3JG-90;9;6TT9;445A17A1;0L;5ZF18ZF188BG

Good for YOLO hotjoins. Balanced damage and survivability, good 1v1 potential, good in team fights. Make sure to self-combo GS4 + GS3 for Retaliation as often as possible. Most of your damage comes from GS1, Retaliation, and GS4.

You can also self-combo Staff #3 -> GS #3 for Retaliation, which I tend to do when initiating or joining into an ongoing fight, since it saves your CD on GS #4. Dropping a Staff #5 in a blob on a capture point is always fun, and Empower is just plain good.

You could run hammer instead of GS if you wanted, I just prefer GS, and find it a bit more efficient at killing, but that is my opinion — hammer is a strong weapon no doubt.

There are a number of builds that will do what you want, this is just 1. Although most of this is directed toward sPvP, you can make it work in WvW, provided you swap traits and utilities out frequently depending on what is happening.

You should be able to 1v1 most classes with ease, or at least force them to give up and run away. Condition-heavy builds will give you problems, but you can still win if you play your cards right. As others have noted, condi spam is a problem, but it’s a problem for many people, and just something that has to be dealt with as best as possible right now. If you want to solo on Guardian and do well there is no reason you can’t.

Kintari | Rintaki | Rin Taki | Kian Tir | Zahinn | Lith <<< Blackgate >>>