Interrupting Shield of Courage

in Guardian

Posted by: Luthic.7290

Luthic.7290

Out of curiosity, why can shield of Courage get interrupted (happens all the time) and then go on a full cool-down without gaining the affect of it when the skill has a 0 cast time.

I mean it must be the fact that it has a precast animation that can get interrupted but I just thought if it had “0” cast time then it couldn’t get interrupted. And if it did get interrupted It wouldn’t go on full cd.

Thanks

in Guardian

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

all of our virtues go on full cooldown if interrupted

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

in Guardian

Posted by: Timston.1976

Timston.1976

This STUNBREAK when traited can be interrupted. So if I’m getting chain cced and I want to pop f3 but since they are chain ccing you your sunbreak gets interrupted and you go bye bye. This should’ve been looked at during beta weekends. I understand the other virtues having cooldowns but f3 has too many downsides to a cast time

Guard main,Team pvp enthusiast, and all around Jolly fellow
bunker guard will live again, well, someday

in Guardian

Luthic.7290

This STUNBREAK when traited can be interrupted. So if I’m getting chain cced and I want to pop f3 but since they are chain ccing you your sunbreak gets interrupted and you go bye bye.

I personally dont use a traited version of the f3. So that cant be it. I just thought interrupt mechanics only worked on things with cast times. So because this has no cast time it was my belief that it should not be able to be interrupted. Its also odd to even hear that a stun break can be interrupted.

You would just think that they would either give it a 0.25s cast time to be more transparent about the situation or actually make it go off instantly and prevent a “instant cast” skill from being interrupted. Esp a full cd :/

in Guardian

Posted by: Timston.1976

Timston.1976

This STUNBREAK when traited can be interrupted. So if I’m getting chain cced and I want to pop f3 but since they are chain ccing you your sunbreak gets interrupted and you go bye bye.

I personally dont use a traited version of the f3. So that cant be it. I just thought interrupt mechanics only worked on things with cast times. So because this has no cast time it was my belief that it should not be able to be interrupted. Its also odd to even hear that a stun break can be interrupted.

You would just think that they would either give it a 0.25s cast time to be more transparent about the situation or actually make it go off instantly and prevent a “instant cast” skill from being interrupted. Esp a full cd :/

The DH f3 has a cast time, base guard f3 does not

Guard main,Team pvp enthusiast, and all around Jolly fellow
bunker guard will live again, well, someday

in Guardian

Posted by: Indure.5410

Indure.5410

I heard someone else make a compelling argument along the same line of thinking. It’s current cast time is so quick that no one can react and actively counter the ability fast enough, so why let it be interrupted since the interruption is completely luck based.

in Guardian

Luthic.7290

The DH f3 has a cast time, base guard f3 does not

Both the f1 and f2 explicitly have cast times. f3 does not. So currently it would make sense for the f1 and f2 skills to be interruptible and f3 would be instant and uninterruptible.

So I would again ask that they add a 0.25s cast to it explicitly or disallow this skill to be interrupted

in Guardian

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

I heard someone else make a compelling argument along the same line of thinking. It’s current cast time is so quick that no one can react and actively counter the ability fast enough, so why let it be interrupted since the interruption is completely luck based.

That might be me, haha. I’ve heatedly made this argument many times. The average human reaction speed for a visual stimulus is around 0.3 seconds. Great gamers are known to be a bit faster, so lets bring that down to around 0.22 seconds. On top of that, after you hit a button to use a skill it takes a finite amount of time before the skill actually lands on the opponent (even for instant cast’s like mesmer’s daze mantra), and on top of that we have latency issues. In essence, you aren’t going to be interrupting a 0.25 second cast without a healthy serving of pure luck.

I can’t recall a duel or 1v1 I’ve had where my f3 actually got interrupted other than getting trapped in a Dragon’s Maw trap (and this is more my own stupidity than the other person’s skill).

I don’t think ANET ever plans on making DH’s f3 instant cast. While it does suck that our f3 is interruptible, I’ve found ways to work around it. Namely, you let f3 be an early panic button. If it’s interrupted then it’s less of a big deal. Also, use it actively rather than as a stun-break. You can still get quite a bit of use out of it this way (block a burst, get 4 stacks of might, allow you enough time to get off a burst of your own, safe stomp).

in Guardian

Posted by: Booms.3952

Booms.3952

I can’t recall a duel or 1v1 I’ve had where my f3 actually got interrupted other than getting trapped in a Dragon’s Maw trap

youre not fighting very good players then.

on another note ive heard a little rumor that anet will give the stability as soon as you start casting so it won’t be interupted when traited.

#1 gerdian na
0 counterplay

in Guardian

Posted by: Miles Smiles.8951

Miles Smiles.8951

I can’t recall a duel or 1v1 I’ve had where my f3 actually got interrupted other than getting trapped in a Dragon’s Maw trap

youre not fighting very good players then.

on another note ive heard a little rumor that anet will give the stability as soon as you start casting so it won’t be interupted when traited.

I think it’s highly unlikely that any player would purposely interrupt that skill. If you ever done it then I’m apt to fancy you got some inhuman reflexes and very little latency issues.

in Guardian

Posted by: lilz shorty.1879

lilz shorty.1879

Technically it should never be interrupted if you are spec’d into virtues and the stunbreak/stability.

F3 when spec’d into virtues and traited, is supposed to be an immediate stunbreak + STABILITY + PROTECTION + AEGIS. None of this happens during the stunbreak which beyond gamebreaking for a guardian.

This needs to be fixed almost immediatley. Same goes for the condie clear and radius of it on f2. DH essentially make half a traitline(virtues) half as effective, which is beyond dumb.

“Morfeus X” || Team: Apex Prime
“Best Guardian NA”

in Guardian

Miles Smiles.8951

F3 when spec’d into virtues and traited, is supposed to be an immediate stunbreak + STABILITY + PROTECTION + AEGIS. None of this happens during the stunbreak which beyond gamebreaking for a guardian.

At least it’s an immediate stunbreak. Let’s drop the subject before they break anything else *kappa

in Guardian

Posted by: Gatvin.6510

Gatvin.6510

Well, Shield of Courage IS also a STRICT upgrade over virtue of courage, so I guess its ok that it has some weakness somewhere.

in Guardian

lilz shorty.1879

Well, Shield of Courage IS also a STRICT upgrade over virtue of courage, so I guess its ok that it has some weakness somewhere.

Absolutley not. When did they advertise or does any other class deal with such a mechanic where, oh because we are adding “this traitline” we are nerfing “the other traitline” that synergizes with it if you spec’d into both. You realize they both work on their own right?

Virtue of courage works on its own and so does Shield of courage. The two should be independent variables. These are traitlines we are talking about here and not skills. Diminishing one traitline due to how well it synergizes would be beyond the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of in any game development. It shows pure laziness and incomprehensible understanding of their own game. They would have to make sure this was true for ALL classes.

“Best Guardian NA”

in Guardian

Indure.5410

^He was just referring to it having a small cast time as a trade-off for a much stronger virtue. Instant cast skills can also be use during other abilities and that would be stupid for the new virtues, which have their own animations.

in Guardian

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

DH F3 has a 0,5 sec cast time. Tooltip is just broken. They either need to delete the animation and make it instant, or fix the tooltip.

in Guardian

lilz shorty.1879

^He was just referring to it having a small cast time as a trade-off for a much stronger virtue. Instant cast skills can also be use during other abilities and that would be stupid for the new virtues, which have their own animations.

What are you saying lol. The two virtues are its own entities.

What I am saying is that it doesn’t matter if the DH virtues are instant cast or not, the effects of the original virtues are instant cast and have its own unique mechanics/boons applied. Also, what i was REALLY saying is, f3 stunbreak is instant which also gives stability from the virtue traitline. Why would they allow the stunbreak but omit the stability?

If you spec into DH without virtues, f3 is instant cast, so your other statement is incorrect.

“Best Guardian NA”

in Guardian

Posted by: Fjaeldmark.9043

Fjaeldmark.9043

If you spec into DH without virtues, f3 is instant cast, so your other statement is incorrect.

No, it isn’t. That is a tooltip error. Try using a spell with a long cast on it like longbow #5 and then use F3 mid-cast. You will interrupt the spell you were casting. Instant cast spells won’t do that.

in Guardian

Indure.5410

@Lilz Shorty: The reason the stun break is instant but not the stability is because stun breaks always precede the skill being used, and boons (stability included) get applied only after a skill is successfully completed. The reason for this is because most skills get reduced cooldowns if they are interrupted, so to stop exploitation boons have to apply after a skill is successful otherwise you could get free boons by interrupting your own skills.

In this particualr case though, the Devs didn’t add a reduced cooldown for Virtues if they are interuppted so they should either add a reduced cooldown or allow boons to proc prior to skill success.

in Guardian

lilz shorty.1879

What are you talking about. I understand why things go on cooldown and why things also don’t. But atm we are talking about stunbreaks. Skills atm in gw2 that provide stunbnreaks and another mechanic happen simultaneously, whether that is applying aegis/stability/superspead/condie clear/ etc.

Stunbreaks cannot be interrupted, so or exploited so I dont even understand what you are trying to get at. That why it makes no sense why the stability is not applied like it USED TO BE when traiteded into virtues.

Trying to defend the flaw behind Anets logic here is dumb honestly because there is no reason for it.

“Best Guardian NA”

in Guardian

Indure.5410

The stun break does not apply stability, the virtue applies both a stun break and stability.

Virtue of Courage (instant cast) when traited with Indomitable Courage:
stun break →Virtue of Courage (aegis proc) → stability proc

This is the order of events, although since the Virtue is instant cast the 3 things appear to happen simultaneous.

Shield of Courage (~.25s cast time) when traited with Indomitable Courage:
stun break →.25s later → Shield of Courage (frontal shield) →stability proc

If during the .25s cast time the ability is interrupted the stun break will still apply, but the shield and stability will not because they occur after the cast time.

A clearer example of this is with Wings of Resolve (1s cast time). The (regen) from the trait Inspired Virtues and the (retribution) from Virtue of Retribution are not applied to your character until after you land the animation from the wings. If your animation is interrupted the regen and the retribution does not apply. While conversely the trait Absolute Resolution will remove 3 conditions, but the condition removal will be activated before the skill and will work regardless of if the cast time is interrupted.

in Guardian

lilz shorty.1879

I know how and why skills can still work of interrupted I told you that. I am not trying to be lectured as to how shield of courage works or how the boons are applied.

What I’m saying talking about is purely virtue of courage. There isn’t delay between stability and the boons virtue of courage applies. Forget about shield of courage. If you have virtue of courage and you apply it, aegis, protection, stability AND YOUR stunbreak apply/go off simultaneously.

When traited into DH this is not the case which is a bug or bad design or error that needs to be fixed. There shouldn’t be a downside for using DH trait line with virtue trait line at all or what I mean is, virtue traitline shouldn’t be less effective because of DH. The radius of he boons applied is diminished as well as well as the radius of the condie clear.

You keep trying to lecture me about obvious things that I already know, which is my point of my post. They shouldn’t be that way because the original virtues are not, but for some reason DH VIRTUES halves the effectiveness of our original virtues and makes them clunky in a sense.

“Best Guardian NA”

(edited by lilz shorty.1879)

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I agree with the above, to an extent.

For the sake of mechanics… fixing a bad design, it should go back to 1/4 duration (should be lower but don’t think they can go pass 1/4)

Reasons

• Instant skills should be used in conjunction of Renewed Focus – F3 can’t…
  • Instant skills can’t be interrupted – F3 can..
  • Making it “instant” removes what DH is, a different style of play. (My opinion, DH virtues shouldn’t be instant like core guard virtues)

Tbh, it should just stay 1/4 cast time for the sake of fixing this “weird glitch” or “bad dev design”. Both are equally problematic.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Posted by: EKAN.4051

EKAN.4051

Not much for pvp, but do lots of fractals/challange pve and after the last update (courage) ive gotten cooldown and no effect alot of times……atleast the spell should be avabile in a few secs again but nope, 64 secs and counting -.-

“Death is just another path”

in Guardian

Posted by: Zantmar.5406

Zantmar.5406

it keeps happening even tho i trait for the stability Anet pleas fix
happened twice on fractals
and a couple more times in pvp

Life blast should hit twice and have its damage halfed
If Rocket Charge is only 2 leaps then it should look like 2 leaps
True Shot should be cast on the move

in Guardian

Miles Smiles.8951

Dude, shield of courage happens to be – I believe – the only stun-breaker in the game that has a cast time. The “stun-break” part itself never gets interrupted, but you still can be CC’d immediately afterwards (if you’re kinda unlucky or oblivious), like after almost every other stun-breaker (not the ones that provide the “evade” effect). The skill has a great effect, which comes with a price. Better get used to it.

in Guardian

Zantmar.5406

Dude, shield of courage happens to be – I believe – the only stun-breaker in the game that has a cast time. The “stun-break” part itself never gets interrupted, but you still can be CC’d immediately afterwards (if you’re kinda unlucky or oblivious), like after almost every other stun-breaker (not the ones that provide the “evade” effect). The skill has a great effect, which comes with a price. Better get used to it.

Look at well of power on necros, and dat no longer goes on full cooldown if interrupted somehow, they fixed it in the previous couple patches

in Guardian

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Dude, shield of courage happens to be – I believe – the only stun-breaker in the game that has a cast time.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rite_of_the_Great_Dwarf

Wanna talk about cast times, brah? There are few more. But i gotta agree, this issue gotta be fixed and if they cant do that, f3 should become insta. The trait for f2 is also a joke as most of the time it gets interrupted when used offensively.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

in Guardian

Miles Smiles.8951

Dude, shield of courage happens to be – I believe – the only stun-breaker in the game that has a cast time.

Wanna talk about cast times, brah? There are few more.

Yeah, but no one uses it actively, cause currently almost nobody runs the legendary dwarf stance; and the passive stun-break trait proc doesn’t have any cast time, right?

But i gotta agree, this issue gotta be fixed and if they cant do that, f3 should become insta.

If Shield of Courage went on 4 sec CD when interrupted would that mean you can use the stun-break part again in 4 sec? And maybe it could be exploited by stowing, theoretically, I’m not sure tho. I mean, I think it should either remain as it is or become insta cast; the latter would be so user friendly!

in Guardian

Posted by: Booms.3952

Booms.3952

just get the stability instantly when traited and itll be ok……

#1 gerdian na
0 counterplay

in Guardian

Zantmar.5406

I have not taken off the stability trait almost ever, and it still gets intrrupted

in Guardian

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Wanna talk about cast times, brah? There are few more.

Yeah, but no one uses it actively, cause currently almost nobody runs the legendary dwarf stance; and the passive stun-break trait proc doesn’t have any cast time, right?

But i gotta agree, this issue gotta be fixed and if they cant do that, f3 should become insta.

If Shield of Courage went on 4 sec CD when interrupted would that mean you can use the stun-break part again in 4 sec? And maybe it could be exploited by stowing, theoretically, I’m not sure tho. I mean, I think it should either remain as it is or become insta cast; the latter would be so user friendly!

I run core rev and in power setup i have Jalis. Sure hes trash, but fun. Sort of..

As for the shield part.. Stability should be applied upon stunbreaking not after the cast is done.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

in Guardian

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

I feel “all the time” is pushing it a bit…

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

F3 can still get interrupted. Probably due to the cast animation associated with Shield of Courage.

It’s why it should either say “1/4 cast time” on the tooltip, or the stability needs to activate before the cast animation on the skill.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Posted by: Booms.2594

Booms.2594

F3 can still get interrupted. Probably due to the cast animation associated with Shield of Courage.

It’s why it should either say “1/4 cast time” on the tooltip, or the stability needs to activate before the cast animation on the skill.

was saying what anet should make it not what it is

gerdian