Is Berserk Guardian still best pve?

in Guardian

Posted by: Psychol.5783

Psychol.5783

And which runes are the best now because I haven’t played before the big patch. I have GS+scepter with focus with scholar runes and sigil of force+fire.

in Guardian

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

Yes. Berserker is still the best for pve. Condition is good, sinister can make it really viable, but direct damage will always be better.
About runes, actually a large amount o berserker guardians use Flame Legion, that give Power and +7% damage against enemies with Burn. Scholar give a 10% bonus but you need to stay up 90% of hp. 7% against burning enemies can be better.
About sigils depend on the situation. I use strength to obtain might but if you’re in dungeon with a ele and a warrior you have no problem to cap the Might and you don’t need anything more than more damage and a extra attack.
If you do dungeons you can use sigil of night (i think that’s the name, but not shure) to obtain a 10% damage during night and in dungeon is always night (the proof is that my sylvari is always with it’s glowing effect).

in Guardian

Posted by: Psychol.5783

Psychol.5783

Hard decisions to be made, I think I’m gonna take the flame legion runes and the rest keep as it is.

in Guardian

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Actually, almost half the dungeons are Day time (3 out of. Its just that the ones people farm constantly just happen to be Night maps.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dungeon#List_of_dungeons

given the price of scholar runes, make sure you salvage them.

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Silv, why is direct damage always better? There are advantages for using condi in PVE. For instance, you get more freedom to ‘break rotation’ and still get your damage in.

in Guardian

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Silv, why is direct damage always better? There are advantages for using condi in PVE. For instance, you get more freedom to ‘break rotation’ and still get your damage in.

faster frontload , you reach peak curve faster. but guards are a bit unique here, since sometimes you can apply many stacks so quick is as quick as zerks, other times slow, pending crit hits and other RNG factors.

engi can do very well here as well, open up with 9 burn stacks in 3 secs on top of a pulsing burn fire field on top of inc double tap orbital strike (25 total group might stacks anyone?).

also, ultimately direct damage is still ahead in sustained vs conditions most of the times, some situations excluded.

only thing that is good is that they provide wider team utility vs pure direct damage builds, often more might cause fire fields, etc.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in Guardian

Posted by: Westwater.1095

Westwater.1095

As it is, direct damage is slightly superior vs single targets, however vs multiple enemies the standard condi build is higher DPS. The thing is though, it’s confirmed that enemies in higher level fractals (and presumably most other forms of HoT pve) will have higher toughness, which directly lowers the damage output direct damage users can do without hindering condi builds. So basically, it’d be worth making a condi set for the future at least, because HoT pve may very well end up being in it’s favor.

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

faster frontload , you reach peak curve faster. but guards are a bit unique here, since sometimes you can apply many stacks so quick is as quick as zerks, other times slow, pending crit hits and other RNG factors.

engi can do very well here as well, open up with 9 burn stacks in 3 secs on top of a pulsing burn fire field on top of inc double tap orbital strike (25 total group might stacks anyone?).

also, ultimately direct damage is still ahead in sustained vs conditions most of the times, some situations excluded.

only thing that is good is that they provide wider team utility vs pure direct damage builds, often more might cause fire fields, etc.

I’m not sure I get this; direct damage doesn’t stack, so how do you front load it? If you’re running a rotation, what is this peak you achieve?

in Guardian

Posted by: Dom.4859

Dom.4859

I’m not sure I get this; direct damage doesn’t stack, so how do you front load it? If you’re running a rotation, what is this peak you achieve?

There’s a time lag associated with beginning combat and achieving the maximum condition stacks that your build can output. Tongku is saying that during this lag or ‘ramp up’ (i.e. damage increasing over time due to increasing condi stacks) a berserker build will have been dealing much closer to its maximum potential damage.

The idea of front-loading being that a berserker is achieving higher damage at the start of the fight while a condition build is increasing condition stack-count and dealing lower overall damage.

Most fights are short in duration, more especially so if the rest of your team are berserker-equipped, thus it may be the case that by the time you reach your maximum condition damage per second the boss is well on its way to being dead. The longer the fight, the more viable condition damage becomes, though it does require you keep a strict rotation otherwise you will similarly lose out on DPS, just as a berserker character would.

(edited by Dom.4859)

in Guardian

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

Torch is a good offhand to use for conditions, especially double tapping 4, and condi burn multiple trash with torch 5.

I do a hybrid between both beserek armor, condi traits and weapons and its fun and very effective for both short and long term fights. I am going to make a sinister set here soon.

in Guardian

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

That’s just a numbers games. Condition guardian is better against group of mobs than direct damage, but is weaker against single targets in group content. For most dungeon, single target bosses are the most important fight, the fight that take longer and where you want most of your dps. That’s the reason why Beserker guardian are view as better than condition guardian.

In solo situation, they are almost equal against single target and condition still have a advantage in fighting group of mobs. So in that situation, they are both equally good, with condition being a bit better.

Additionally, a Zerker guardian only need Signet of Bane to achieve their normal dps, while Sinister Guardian need Signet of Wrath, Purging Flames and Judge Intervention. Sinister Guardian need to sacrifice more of their personnal dps to bring support like Wall of Reflection or retreat.

But in the end, both are really close to each other if played right.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Guardian

Posted by: Westwater.1095

Westwater.1095

Additionally, a Zerker guardian only need Signet of Bane to achieve their normal dps, while Sinister Guardian need Signet of Wrath, Purging Flames and Judge Intervention. Sinister Guardian need to sacrifice more of their personnal dps to bring support like Wall of Reflection or retreat.

But in the end, both are really close to each other if played right.

This is probably the biggest downside to the condi build, however Judge’s Intervention really only serves as adding some additional burst burning stacks. The CD is far too long to be added into a proper rotation, so it’s more of an optional pick if you don’t need reflects, aegis or stability to the fight. You have a very small DPS loss if you drop JI in favor of a support utility, and in my experience there’s very few cases where I actually need more than 1 utility in a dungeon, especially since I’ll always have condition removal covered with Purging Flames. It takes some getting used to, but you basically just gotta learn how to take advantage of every chance you have out of combat.

in Guardian

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Partially true. JI don’t had much dps in a long fight, but it’s great burst for shorter fight. That why it’s not a good idea to drop it if you play with a good team that burst bosses quicly, but if you play with ordinary pugs, JI isn’t as important like you said.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD