Is there an offensive Guardian build...

in Guardian

Posted by: Malchior.5732

Malchior.5732

That doesn’t feel as cheesy as Medi Guard?

I main Ele and while I love it, I want to play different classes and the Guardian being a Knight + Mage kinda intrigued me. Problem is, I don’t like playing a support role at all and Medi Guard always seemed really not-fun to fight against(as a Thief/Necro) and the few moments I played it on a Lvl 2 Guard also made it feel a cheesy(it censored bit and cheesy…).
I’m just wondering, since I know nothing about Guard really, if there’s another offensive Guardian build that can be used for PvP effectively and isn’t relegated to Supporting team mates, but can also fend for itself in a fight.

(edited by Malchior.5732)

in Guardian

Posted by: merchantchuck.4875

merchantchuck.4875

You could try a medi-condi build? or maybe a shout or signet build though i don’t really know any.

Medi is good because it gives you healing, condi clear as well as fury.

in Guardian

Posted by: Sakrasta.6538

Sakrasta.6538

In sPvP there is no other working zerker build, but medi guard. In WvW you have more freedom, though, because in WvW Save Yourselves and dodge heal are not nerfed, so you can get enough sustain as a shout guardian. In general it is hard to build an offensive guardian, because the defensive traitlines are so much stronger than the offensive ones.

in Guardian

Posted by: Pitman.9210

Pitman.9210

The problem as offensive guardian is that you’re extremly squishy. The only way to counter that is to go full defense with utility skills and traits. Going medi guard gives you much needed defensive stats (toughness), heals (traited meditations), stun breakers (CoP + JI) and condi removal (SC + JI). Ferocity too, which is really nice.

On top of that you only used 6 points to get all that. So you can go into virtues and take the big boy condi removal and stability which really helps your team. And it even has the synergy with renewed focus (your elite).

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

You could try a tanky symbol build. You won’t be full on dps, but you could conceivably put out some good sustained damage.

Fishsticks

in Guardian

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

Well sure if you want to be killed in 2 seconds you can try playing the pve meta build in pvp You’ll hit like a truck but you’ll drop faster than a fly smacked by a flyswatter. 11k hp, and weak healing outside meditations is the reason for this we don’t have a healing skill that can compare to the warrior healing signet, or the thieves shadow rejuvenation other than monk’s focus. You call it cheesy but it’s the only tool that makes dps guardian viable in pvp its like playing an ele w/o evasive arcana or points in water.

(edited by Vizardlorde.8243)

in Guardian

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

Problem is, I don’t like playing a support role at all and Medi Guard always seemed really not-fun to fight against(as a Thief/Necro) and the few moments I played it on a Lvl 2 Guard also made it feel a cheesy(it censored bit and cheesy…).

Triple meditation guard is one of the best builds in the game if you want to avoid to provide team support. If you want to bring less support to the table then you probably must consider to “play AFK”.

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Out of the three utility types guardians have that could potentially be used offensively (meditations, signets, and spirit weapons), meditations is the only one that isn’t terribly underwhelming currently.

in Guardian

Posted by: tico.9814

tico.9814

The current medi guardian meta is already squishy enough but at least it let’s you acomplish your goal as a dps and be able to survive enough. You don’t want to go squishier. I would suggest trying different builds or come up with something maybe you might bring a new meta to the table.

in Guardian

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

I don’t know what you mean by cheesy but maybe you need more practice/watch people who is good with the build (Phantaram streams medi guadian sometimes).

Thief is an easy fight if you manage to survive their first burst (blocks, invul) if you can get them inside your ring of warding it’s an insta death for them. For Necro time your condition cleanses, follow them with scepter and burst with hammer when you manage yo immobilize them.

Maybe oyu’re not using the right build here it is
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Guardian_-_Meditation_Hammer

Keep in mind that scepter is a must, if you’re using something as Sword or GS you might feel Medi Guard lacking mobility and easy to kite.

in Guardian

Posted by: Drennon.7190

Drennon.7190

A year ago people flamed me for playing medi. It was “trash tier” and I was a scrub for not playing AH bunker. Now people call it cheese and OP. The PvP community in this game is hilarious.

Baer

in Guardian

Vizardlorde.8243

Problem is, I don’t like playing a support role at all and Medi Guard always seemed really not-fun to fight against(as a Thief/Necro) and the few moments I played it on a Lvl 2 Guard also made it feel a cheesy(it censored bit and cheesy…).

Triple meditation guard is one of the best builds in the game if you want to avoid to provide team support. If you want to bring less support to the table then you probably must consider to “play AFK”.

Bullkitten, Guardians have more than enough baseline support that triple meditation makes them no less supportive than your standard pvp build. depending on the specific build they provide boons on virtue, blinds, vilnerability, and Fury. With virtues themselves being group support and being able to use them twice thanks to RF.

(edited by Vizardlorde.8243)

in Guardian

Posted by: Smirgel.9460

Smirgel.9460

Here’s a shout variant you could try, it’s not as effective as medi but is less “cheesy” and offers better party support.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQNAR7dlsApVo1CxUI8DNRCRld+9fBI2fQIkCXFAA-TpBFwACuAAEOCA12fIxBBoaZAAPAAA

in Guardian

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

Cheese….I don’t think Medi guard is exactly cheese at all. I’ve played Medi Guard since near the beginning of launch, the only thing that was really ever changed is when they made Smite Condition instant cast, and Renewed Focus a Meditation(MI still doesn’t see much use even after the changes.) It’s hilarious to see it’s considered cheese because now everyone is using it. Truth is it’s a very fun and skill based spec(Shouts are pretty boring but helpful, Signets are very meh, SW are not skill based one bit) since you have to manage your cooldowns appropriately, as well as using active defenses right or you end up eating dirt against someone who knows their own class as well as yours. As for a different build if it’s for WVW try a Zealot/;Zerker/Calviers build with full honor. Spvp is either Bunker Shout Guardian, Medi Guardian, or AH Guardian.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

in Guardian

Posted by: Smirgel.9460

Smirgel.9460

Cheese….I don’t think Medi guard is exactly cheese at all. I’ve played Medi Guard since near the beginning of launch, the only thing that was really ever changed is when they made Smite Condition instant cast, and Renewed Focus a Meditation(MI still doesn’t see much use even after the changes.) It’s hilarious to see it’s considered cheese because now everyone is using it. Truth is it’s a very fun and skill based spec(Shouts are pretty boring but helpful, Signets are very meh, SW are not skill based one bit) since you have to manage your cooldowns appropriately, as well as using active defenses right or you end up eating dirt against someone who knows their own class as well as yours. As for a different build if it’s for WVW try a Zealot/;Zerker/Calviers build with full honor. Spvp is either Bunker Shout Guardian, Medi Guardian, or AH Guardian.

Oh it’s by far the cheesiest zerker build in the game with high armor, instant damage and ports (JI & SC), powerful condi clears, group stability and multiple self heals as well as very strong CC with hammer – all this in one build.

(edited by Smirgel.9460)

in Guardian

Posted by: Drennon.7190

Drennon.7190

Oh it’s by far the cheesiest zerker build in the game with high armor, instant damage and ports (JI & SC), powerful condi clears, group stability and multiple self heals as well as very strong CC with hammer – all this in one build.

not really hard to beat. Bait out renewed focus and shelter. After that he’s just a dlck with a hammer.

Baer

in Guardian

Vizardlorde.8243

If you are getting group stability you are either dropping radiance and going virtues or giving up healing from Contemplation of purity along with condition removal/boons. The multiple self heals are the sole reason why the build is viable since the guardians only have 11k base health. Hammer CC is on a relatively long cooldown compared to hammer warrior and Hammer became popular only a couple of months ago due to Tage? ( dont know his name since im not into Esports) that used it in the tournament but meditation builds have existed without the hammer since launch.

in Guardian

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

Armor doesn’t mean much aside from taking more small hits, instant damage is not exclusive to Guardian, if you look at it, go see Sc/F Fresh Air Ele, Theives with Traited Steal, Shatter mesmers Ileap combo,. Same thing with ports see the previous. Condi clears are okay if you go virtues, if not then you only have the SC, CoP which is decent amount. Group stability you’re either dropping a medi for SYG, or you’re full blown virtues for IC. Hammer is alright the real attractive thing for Hammer is RoW, which is countered if someone has stability.

You do know that there are other builds that bring just as much to the table? Shout Warriors, D/D Eles with EA and and Water Magic. We have lot of things in this game that can be considered cheese from multiple condi bombs, spam, to 1500 Range Burst. Medi Guardians are strong , but there are weaknesses/flaws to it, like nearly no access to swfitness aside from pack runes or Travelers. No spammable soft CC(for a melee class no cripples or chill.) Low health(which is made up for with self heals).

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

in Guardian

Posted by: creepmatic.9435

creepmatic.9435

The medi hammer build with 6 in virtues bring’s as much support as the Healway build minus the healing and the traited consecrations but it brings superior dmg instead which sometimes it’s more useful than the healing. I always find it funny when guardians claim that Shout AH 0.1.6.6.1 it’s a good support build, when in fact you are just a punching bag that spams shouts to proc PoV. Basically a leech. So funny.

in Guardian

Vizardlorde.8243

The medi hammer build with 6 in virtues bring’s as much support as the Healway build minus the healing and the traited consecrations but it brings superior dmg instead which sometimes it’s more useful than the healing. I always find it funny when guardians claim that Shout AH 0.1.6.6.1 it’s a good support build, when in fact you are just a punching bag that spams shouts to proc PoV. Basically a leech. So funny.

hey thats our bunker build that drastically dropped in popularity cause it cant kill crap unlike cele ele and cele engi.

in Guardian

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

I always find it funny when guardians claim that Shout AH 0.1.6.6.1 it’s a good support build, when in fact you are just a punching bag that spams shouts to proc PoV. Basically a leech. So funny.

AH bunker is the best support build in PvP, period. It’s just that with all these self reliant cele specs you don’t need a dedicated support guy, instead teams are taking a shoutbow with a cele ele to fill the gap.

l2p I guess?

in Guardian

Posted by: creepmatic.9435

creepmatic.9435

I always find it funny when guardians claim that Shout AH 0.1.6.6.1 it’s a good support build, when in fact you are just a punching bag that spams shouts to proc PoV. Basically a leech. So funny.

AH bunker is the best support build in PvP, period. It’s just that with all these self reliant cele specs you don’t need a dedicated support guy, instead teams are taking a shoutbow with a cele ele to fill the gap.

l2p I guess?

In WvW yes, even there the frontline guards spec 4 points in Virtues. Not to mention your sustain is even worse in pvp with AH because of the limited number of people that surround you at times.

You have inferior condi cleanse, no counter pressure, nothing. You sole purpose as an AH bunker is to leech while being a burden to your team. Again, talking about pvp. In WvW the situation is different.