Longbow, an idea

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Nebiros.5612

Nebiros.5612

Considering scepter is rather lacking at this point I’ve been thinking what weapon could they implement that wouldn’t bash lore. Considering that shortbow is more of a short range skirmish weapon I went with longbow.

I kept the skill names that of GW1 skills like they did with most of GW2’s skills (outside of symbol). My idea basically adds support skills to keep guardian in that niche since that’s what their known for. I also added a bleed to one of the skills to try and open up condition damage builds as a possible choice.

skill 1 – Spear of Light:
Fires an arrow of light dealing x dmg

skill 2 – Holy Strike:
Fires an arrow dealing x dmg and bleeds target for 5 seconds

skill 3 – Kirin’s Wrath:
Fires an arrow that passes thru enemies dealing x dmg and knocking them back, allies it passes thru gain protection for 3 secs

skill 4 – Symbol of Rage:
Create a Symbol of Rage at target location dealing X dmg every second for 5 seconds to enemies and fury every second for 5 seconds to allies

skill 5 – Light of Dwayna:
Rain down arrows of light from the sky healing allies in target area

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Sorem.9157

Sorem.9157

Honestly, i’d love being able to use a longbow, it’s a nice idea, but i don’t think Anet is ever going to give us that pleasure

Also, i didn’t really get into that bleeding thing >.>

MIGHTY SOREM STRIKES AGAIN!!!!

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: shiro.2193

shiro.2193

I love the idea and want this in game but why bleed i think burning or maybe weakness would fit better

hiibari human thief
randal althor char warrior
hibbari norn guardian

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Sorem.9157

I’d go for a cripple or even chill maybe

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Bean Muncher.5197

Bean Muncher.5197

If the weapon would inflict bleeding, I would rather see it on the autoattack. One skill that inflicts 5s of bleeding isn’t going to open up condition builds.
But heck, I’d LOVE a ranged weapon for the guardian that could actually bleed and cripple!

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Irena.1062

Irena.1062

fire arrows fits wonderfully, and stacks burning intensity.

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Fomby.4295

Fomby.4295

I would replace the bleed with a burn.

I like the knock back idea, but don’t find the symbol very inspiring. Perhaps every 4th or 5th auto attack(depending on how fast those are) you create a symbol of fury at your feet. And replace the symbol skill with something like Line/Ring of Warding.

Also, the healing arrows sound cool, but should also either A. Give a buff B. do a small amount of damage or C. Create either a fire, light, orrrr static field.

These changes might make me switch my hammer or staff for a longbow, otherwise it would just be a slightly improved scepter.

Maguuma [PYRO]
Kal Snow – Norn Guardian

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Wonderful idea. I also would replace bleed with burn.

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

Bleed doesnt fit guard that much. change it to burn.
Dwayna is a human god, all other guards wont be happy. Need another name.

Would be nice to see a longbow weapon for guardians. After all we can already summon one.

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Sythus.2396

Sythus.2396

Like others have said replace the bleed with burn, bleeds just don’t suit us. Other than that it looks very good. I’d love it if one day we are able to equip Longbows, but I don’t see it being any time soon sadly :/

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

I love this idea but i think skill 2 could be cripple or 8 stacks of Vulnerability

(edited by tom.7468)

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Varyag.3751

Varyag.3751

I’d only be for it if every other class got access to a new toy also.

I play Warrior, Guardian, Elementalist and Thief.

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

Ok, any other class with absolutely zero viable ranged options can get a new weapon too. How about that?

Scepter cant hit kitten, you can outrun it, but why bother, just sidestep and it misses every single time. It even misses npcs if they are not static. I like skills 2 and even 3. But skill 1 is crap.

Anet failed hard at guardian range, its about time they sorted it.

Dont hold your breath though……last time anet posted on this forum was over 3 months ago, and that was to lock a thread….great community engagement isnt it?

(edited by Cameirus.8407)

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: kenzuro.1073

kenzuro.1073

No Longbow. Crossbow maybe.

Asiimar
Guardian of The Acolytes
www.acolytesgamingcommunity.com

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Ildourol.2803

Ildourol.2803

Longbow… just no
Remake scepter…yes making auto-attack faster

Sir Zeliek

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Sorem.9157

Longbow is probably what fits the profession the best, since it’s a weapon that we can summon as an Spirit Weapon. Sword, Hammer and Shield we can use, but what about Longbow ? Sounds like Anet had, beforehand, the idea of making Longbow useable by Guardians but for some reason they gave up on it.

No Longbow. Crossbow maybe.

A Crossbow ? What ? And make Anet design a whole new set of weapons, new skins and variations in order to fix this issue ? That’s just too far

I’m pretty sure some other classes could also use some new weapons aswell, Engineer lacks of melee just as much as Guardian lacks of range, for example.

(edited by Sorem.9157)

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Viralseed.9362

Viralseed.9362

There is only one reason I would want Longbow for the Guardian: Azureflame.

Seriously, why is it that of the four spirit weapon skins, the bow is the only one the Guardian can’t use? As for your suggested attacks, bleed is unnecessary. I like that you’re trying to give Guardian a condition damage weapon, but Guardian doesn’t need it. Secondly, an arrow that applies protection is already a skill (Shield of Judgment). It needs something different. A symbol that applies fury sounds reasonable with the appropriate cooldown. The last skill is essentially the Bow of Truth’s active effect. I would rename it as it’s has a diety in its name. Only the humans worship the, erm, human gods. Charr do not worship any gods, period.

Other than the ability to carry Azureflame, I don’t really feel like the Guardian needs another ranged weapon. Just improve Scepter a bit with either homing or speed. It will probably need a damage or attack speed reduction to compensate.

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Nebiros.5612

Nebiros.5612

Made a few changes to the skills from feedback on the thread, wanted to make kirin’s wrath into more of a help allies regroup from a bad situation type skill

skill 1 – Spear of Light:
Fires an arrow of light dealing x dmg

skill 2 – Holy Strike:
Fires an arrow dealing x dmg and burns target for 5 seconds

skill 3 – Kirin’s Wrath:
Fires an arrow that passes thru enemies dealing x dmg and knocking them back, allies it passes thru gain Swiftness for 3 secs

skill 4 – Symbol of Rage:
Create a Symbol of Rage at target location dealing X dmg and crippling foes every second for 5 seconds and fury every second for 5 seconds to allies

skill 5 – Heaven’s Delight:
Rain down arrows of light from the sky healing allies in target area

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

Longbow… just no

We don’t need a new weapon as we already have two ranged options. One being for long range and the other for short/mid.

Scepter needs some tweaks in regards to the 1 and 2 abilities but that’s about it. Coming up with a new weapon to use is more of an undertaking than modifying a current usable weapon. For instance, traits will have to be added/modified, more abilities that need to be tested for balance…

Just because what we have now has its shortcomings doesn’t mean we need a new ranged weapon.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Sandra Martino.3870

Sandra Martino.3870

Longbow… just no

We don’t need a new weapon as we already have two ranged options. One being for long range and the other for short/mid.

Scepter needs some tweaks in regards to the 1 and 2 abilities but that’s about it. Coming up with a new weapon to use is more of an undertaking than modifying a current usable weapon. For instance, traits will have to be added/modified, more abilities that need to be tested for balance…

Just because what we have now has its shortcomings doesn’t mean we need a new ranged weapon.

Well the problem is no1 seems to care enough so the dev`s wont put any energy in it.

Top 3 posts on forum always consists of someone crying about support/dps build or more videos with either a hammer or greatsword involved… if the more important forum posts like “Scepter’s broken autoattack” didnt fall of to the second page but instead gathered 600 responses and 28 pages of people asking why it didnt got fixed yet, it would be fixed the next patch.

This community is laughable sometimes.

Still Feeling Lucky [PunK] – Gunnars Hold
Recruiting necros & guardians. Whisper ingame.

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

It sounds nice. The problem I have with it is that it doesn’t really have a theme to it. You can see where all the weapons have a particular strength. This one seems to be a little of everything, You have the applied burn, a heal, a knockback/swiftness and also a cripple/fury on a symbol. It’s too much IMO.

I get that the longbow fills the long range gap but If there is a theme this weapon is supposed to fill, then I can’t tell what it is.

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Osmodias.9253

Osmodias.9253

I don’t mind scepter. It isn’t the best, but it isn’t broken (in the sense of being unusable.) It gets the job done when I need it. Plus, I love the focus 5 too much to want to go to a longbow. If scepter can handle Lupicus, and other faraway mobs (Which it has been for me) then I’m fine.

But that’s just my 2cents.

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Eiken.6821

Eiken.6821

I would love a ranged option like a longbow, heck even a short bow.

I know Anet says to post ideas on the suggestion forum, so you might want to try posting it there so the devs can see it versus the Guardian forum. I would definitely second the idea there.

I would like another option on it for buffing allies (or to make it the second skill versus the third) but that is only because I am a support guardian
In the end, I’d be happy with any ranged option other than what we have now.

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Kreslin.6832

Kreslin.6832

The problem is that Guardian doesn’t have decent long range dd aoe weapon.
Scepter is the only one long range weapon and it’s pretty weak as dd weapon, and it’s not aoe. Staff’s first skill is aoe, but it’s not dd and staff is not long ranged weapon.

Guardians need decent long ranged dd aoe weapon. Even if Arena will increase scepter, it’s not aoe weapon.

I think weapon like longbow would be good. Because when it comes to fight with long ranged weapon, guardian is very boring, there is no drive. For example warrior. When I play a warrior, I feel drive, adrenalin, when I’m using and melee weapon such as axe, and switch to a longbow and make a fire, or to a riffle and shooting.

Long ranged aoe dd weapon is what guardians desperately need. When it comes to underwater fights, guardian is very fun to play, I feel the drive, because he have that long ranged dd and aoe weapon – trident.

Scepter needs to be increased, but it doesn’t mean that we don’t need new long ranged weapon. Because scepter is not aoe, it’s like warrior’s riffle.

Guardians have dd aoe melee weapon – greatsword. Why don’t we have long range aoe as well? I think Guardian is only one who doesn’t have decent long ranged aoe weapon. Staff is not long ranged and it’s a support weapon.

Longbow would be nice.

Seize the day.

(edited by Kreslin.6832)

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: awe extender.1908

awe extender.1908

NO to longbow!

Heavy armor = front line

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Kreslin.6832

Kreslin.6832

NO to longbow!

Heavy armor = front line

Warrior has longbow and rifle.

Heavy armor – front line? Please. What about ranger with greatsword? What about mesmer with swords, what about thief with pistols or short bow? What about elementalist or necromanser with daggers? This is GW2. So heavy armor = front line is not an argument.

For example, Elementalist can be front line, but he is wearing light armor. It’s not some Perfect World or other classic mmorpg, it’s GW2.

Without decent long ranged aoe weapon and with unfixed scepter, Guardian is like cripple. Because other classes have options and for melee and for long ranged combats.

Seize the day.

(edited by Kreslin.6832)

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

Well the problem is no1 seems to care enough so the dev`s wont put any energy in it.

Despite the complete lack of attention that Scepter has received from ANet’s development team, I think that they do care but don’t really know what to do. If the state of the game held by GW2 Guru was any indication, they said that Guardian’s are in a good place. Yes, our class is in a great place but that doesn’t mean we have our issues which is what I think they’re overlooking. I’ve only played one other class, Engineer, and they had its fair share of issues which for the most part, were resolved recently. I wouldn’t put it past them to put Guardian’s as a low priority to update Scepter.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

Despite the complete lack of attention that Scepter has received from ANet’s development team, I think that they do care but don’t really know what to do. If the state of the game held by GW2 Guru was any indication, they said that Guardian’s are in a good place. Yes, our class is in a great place but that doesn’t mean we have our issues which is what I think they’re overlooking. I’ve only played one other class, Engineer, and they had its fair share of issues which for the most part, were resolved recently. I wouldn’t put it past them to put Guardian’s as a low priority to update Scepter.

Quick fix, double scepter projectile speed.
Done.

Can wait for longer one for more detailed solution. But that would do it, 10mins work max to change a value for projectile speed.

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Sandra Martino.3870

I don’t mind scepter. It isn’t the best, but it isn’t broken (in the sense of being unusable.) It gets the job done when I need it. Plus, I love the focus 5 too much to want to go to a longbow. If scepter can handle Lupicus, and other faraway mobs (Which it has been for me) then I’m fine.

But that’s just my 2cents.

Problem is, it is broken. They said neither pvp or pve is prefered above the other so one has to count pvp aswell. In this light a player mildly strafing cannot get hit by scepter #1. I call that broken.

For reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSJ0pqRwjuU

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

I don’t see the potential to avoid it’s attacks in PVP as breaking the weapon. I simply view it as a weapon that shouldn’t be expected to perform well in PVP, similar to the way that some people view certain weapons as underperforming in PVM.

I’m just going to speculate here but there is the possibility that sceptre sucking in PVP is an intentional effect. Anet devs write the rules on what a profession is capable of, not us. I think there has been enough hints dropped to suggest that the drop in performance at long ranges is part of the class definition.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

I don’t see the potential to avoid it’s attacks in PVP as breaking the weapon. I simply view it as a weapon that shouldn’t be expected to perform well in PVP, similar to the way that some people view certain weapons as underperforming in PVM.

I’m just going to speculate here but there is the possibility that sceptre sucking in PVP is an intentional effect. Anet devs write the rules on what a profession is capable of, not us. I think there has been enough hints dropped to suggest that the drop in performance at long ranges is part of the class definition.

I doubt this is intentional :P

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Sandra Martino.3870

I agree with that the scepter isn’t meant to perform well, we as guardians are pretty strong in melee and arguably best in damage/sustain wise. However we are not so grandly overpowered in melee that its intentional to have NO ranged option.

As of today, we have 3 seconds of guaranteed ranged damage done because of the immobilize on scepter #3 because #1 and #2 can be completely avoided by mildy strafing.

Simply put: make scepter #1 homing so its a guaranteed hit and guardians are still worst range dps. However, we would actually HAVE ranged dps. Albeit bad.

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

I agree with that the scepter isn’t meant to perform well, we as guardians are pretty strong in melee and arguably best in damage/sustain wise. However we are not so grandly overpowered in melee that its intentional to have NO ranged option.

Then perhaps the fix isn’t related to a range weapon. If we aren’t strong enough in melee range to justify weak ranged weapons, then one could argue we need more melee strength. It’s a matter of perspective.

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Sandra Martino.3870

Then perhaps the fix isn’t related to a range weapon. If we aren’t strong enough in melee range to justify weak ranged weapons, then one could argue we need more melee strength. It’s a matter of perspective.

Indeed, however i stated that i view guardian as the strongest melee option. Even above warriors. Making them even stronger in the melee field would make them sincerely unbalanced. The best bet would be to improve ranged options.

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Sorem.9157

Making our only ranged weapon not be usefull in PvP is kind of a dumb idea, don’t you think ? I know Arenanet can be stupid sometimes, but demn.

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

Not really. If it sucks as bad as everyone says it does, then no one is really getting much good out of it if they use it anyways no? Staff is still an option if you want some reliable ranged capability.

Still, this gets to my point … if we aren’t meant to have good long range weaponry, why would any one continue to use long range weapons on Guardian with minimal success? Embrace your strengths. Avoid playing to your weakness.

I not being obtuse here. Clearly they want us to have some ranged ability but it won’t ever be our strength and perhaps it won’t even be good enough to consider useful in many aspects of the game.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: KingTruffle.1752

KingTruffle.1752

Longbow is a pipe dream people. It will never happen. Anet hates drastic changes of this nature. We will have better luck complaining about the scepter auto-attack until something happens (and obviously that’s not been very fruitful at that).

Ripsnarl Greymane [WFD] – Borlis Pass

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

NO to longbow!

Heavy armor = front line

Heavy armor – front line? Please. What about ranger with greatsword? What about mesmer with swords, what about thief with pistols or short bow? What about elementalist or necromanser with daggers? This is GW2. So heavy armor = front line is not an argument.

For example, Elementalist can be front line, but he is wearing light armor. It’s not some Perfect World or other classic mmorpg, it’s GW2.

Without decent long ranged aoe weapon and with unfixed scepter, Guardian is like cripple. Because other classes have options and for melee and for long ranged combats.

Scepter / torch is a kitten good ranged combo. Albeit the #1 on scepter can be a bit whacky, but with the access to both smite and purging flames there’s a ton of aoe damage to be had. Try rooting someone with scepter #3, followed by smite, then purging flames on top of that. Damage counters EVERYWHERE. Just gotta know how to work with what you’ve got.

Longbow, an idea

in Guardian

Sandra Martino.3870

NO to longbow!

Heavy armor = front line

Scepter / torch is a kitten good ranged combo. Albeit the #1 on scepter can be a bit whacky, but with the access to both smite and purging flames there’s a ton of aoe damage to be had. Try rooting someone with scepter #3, followed by smite, then purging flames on top of that. Damage counters EVERYWHERE. Just gotta know how to work with what you’ve got.

A bit whacky? You obviously havent seen this yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSJ0pqRwjuU

Theoretically you can only actually dps 3 seconds every 20 seconds with the scepter since #1 and #2 are completely avoidable. Ok ill grant you 3.5, since if you dump smite on a target, it takes at least 0.5 to walk right out of it.