Medi Guard - Worth Learning for WvW?

in Guardian

Posted by: Snakebyte.2804

Snakebyte.2804

I’m trying to decide what class I want to main in WvW and want one that can zerg and roam. Guardians obviously zerg like a boss but I was hoping some meditation guards in this forum would give me some insights as my guild doesn’t have any resident roaming guards.

Convince me that learning medi guard is worth my time!

Gringo Pls, JQ Engineer

in Guardian

Posted by: Flitzie.6082

Flitzie.6082

I sure hope so. I am planning on playing a mediguard myself now.
Still having problems with naming this guy.
As always every name I try is already in use…

Heck, my main the warrior isnt even named properly yet, oh lol.

Seeing what guards can do on paper i imagine they are pretty beast and are already among the hardest to fight against on my warrior.
I’ll monitor this thread aswell

You touched the shiny, didn’t you?

in Guardian

Posted by: Hyperion.4638

Hyperion.4638

Short answer = No its not worth it

Long answer, well i tried it i really did (i have champion paragorn title) and even tho its strong for 1v1 and small group fights the thing is that you basically have very very low mobility, you cannot run away from fights or kite effectively wich for wvw is very important, its mostly for spvp where a person has limited movement space or cannot afford to move away from point so you can unload on him, but for wvw you will fell as a turtle plus you will have to use Travelers runes unlike lets say warrior wich has a trait for 25% movement speed so you can invest into better runes,so yeah i don’t think its worth it, gs/hammer war is better for roaming, thiefs are better, ele ofc , now even rangers with the buffs are good.

in Guardian

Flitzie.6082

Is the mobility really that bad? with a GS/Sw+Fo plus the 2 teleport meditations I can imagine the guardian to be pretty mobile.

Judge’s Intervention can be aimed anywhere on the ground right? Just safe your cooldown if you need to get away. And with the sword It should be pretty easy to catch people aswell.

Traveler runes are a must have, I realized that from the first minute I took a closer look at the guardian. And the added bonus attributes actually work quite well with pretty much any build anyway.

in Guardian

Posted by: mPascoal.4258

mPascoal.4258

I do roaming with Medi Guard but from all classes that I tried roaming that one of the hardest. JI and Sw #2 require target, MI only teleport if you have an ally in the area, so that makes Traveler a must. Yet is possible, but you will die a lot (unless you go with small group and do the job of a Thief, bursting ppl, but even with that your group might need another Guard for Support)

Phask - Guardian/DH | Phaskk - Warrior | Phaask - Revenant

in Guardian

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

Is the mobility really that bad? with a GS/Sw+Fo plus the 2 teleport meditations I can imagine the guardian to be pretty mobile.

Judge’s Intervention can be aimed anywhere on the ground right? Just safe your cooldown if you need to get away. And with the sword It should be pretty easy to catch people aswell.

Traveler runes are a must have, I realized that from the first minute I took a closer look at the guardian. And the added bonus attributes actually work quite well with pretty much any build anyway.

Judges Intervention requires a enemy target in order to teleport to them, Merciful intervention requires a ally, it has ground targeting so you can choose who to port to, however if there is none you will not move from the spot when you activate it. teleports are nice however without soft CC people will easily just get out of range again via soft CC or just having swiftness or 25% movement speed.

Traveler runes are essential if you want to consistently pressure or damage however we have to give up the rune slot for it, so if we wanted to run Flame Legion Runes, or Lyssa, or strength, we can’t because we would miss out on traveler rune’s 25% movement speed. IIRC Travers also got nerfed with the amount of stats with the ferocity change.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

in Guardian

Flitzie.6082

>Judges Intervention requires a enemy target
Right. Just saw it myself. On a lot of videos it seemed to go whereever, but those are pretty hectic to watch anyway.

Still, I think its going to be decent on our 3 man roaming group.
And there are always plenty of neutral mobs to use as aid I guess.

Well, I’ve just had my first 20-30 minutes on a guardian slaughtering those pvp-dummies. Pretty fun.

What I wanna test in an open world scenario:

Focus #5 + Scepter #3 -> JI + weapon swap (procs sigil of intelligence) + stability -> Elite tome + tome #5 (still under the effect of a guaranteed crit) 12k crit upwards.
tome #4 while they are CC’ed -> cancel tome to GS + GS#3 and unleash hell with that quickness.

Or just stay on the tome for the full duration, does great damage anyway.
Also get 2 might with crits and be safe with 14k total heals on a 22k HP pool.

I understand that there are probably other ways to do damage just as fast but Its more of a wombo-combo setup that I highly doubt anyone sees comming. For fun.
The whole thing might require some addtional CC from someone else.

Does anyone actually use those tomes? I never see them in action…

Edit:
I have a feeling judgement wont scale as well as I want it to. Tomes are weird, weird but fun.

(edited by Flitzie.6082)

in Guardian

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

>Judges Intervention requires a enemy target
Right. Just saw it myself. On a lot of videos it seemed to go whereever, but those are pretty hectic to watch anyway.

Still, I think its going to be decent on our 3 man roaming group.
And there are always plenty of neutral mobs to use as aid I guess.

Well, I’ve just had my first 20-30 minutes on a guardian slaughtering those pvp-dummies. Pretty fun.

What I wanna test in an open world scenario:

Focus #5 + Scepter #3 -> JI + weapon swap (procs sigil of intelligence) + stability -> Elite tome + tome #5 (still under the effect of a guaranteed crit) 12k crit upwards.
tome #4 while they are CC’ed -> cancel tome to GS + GS#3 and unleash hell with that quickness.

Or just stay on the tome for the full duration, does great damage anyway.
Also get 2 might with crits and be safe with 14k total heals on a 22k HP pool.

I understand that there are probably other ways to do damage just as fast but Its more of a wombo-combo setup that I highly doubt anyone sees comming. For fun.
The whole thing might require some addtional CC from someone else.

Does anyone actually use those tomes? I never see them in action…

The only thing I see with something like that is if you’re fighting against someone who’s afk, not to mention the switch to activate tome has a cast time. Shield of Wrath can also be broken by 3 attack so multiple hit skills will will destroy the combo. Not to mention Zealot’s Fervor has cast time, including tome itself, ythe likely hood of pulling off that entire set is really far fetched. Especially against real players who will normally be dodging and moving around. You’ll essentially be doing nothing for those few seconds trying to set up such a combo, blowing all your CD’s, and if the combo fails you’re most likely a sitting duck, for easy focusing.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

in Guardian

Flitzie.6082

>if the combo fails you’re most likely a sitting duck, for easy focusing.
Oh yeah, I can totally see that happening. It would probably need some quickness to begin with. The whole thing is nothing serious, of course.
As said it would probably require more CC.

Oh well, I am not sure if guardian is going to be my thing but I’ll level one for a completeness sake anyway. I should probably rather practice to be a good power ranger as an alt. c:

in Guardian

Posted by: Shadow.9641

Shadow.9641

Roaming with the Guard is definately worth!
Imho is harder than other classes, cause roaming with a Guard forces you to go to the edge – so hopping around and hammering random skills leads you directly to downstate.

But if you get deeper into the Guard, it’s a Buster (soloed camps faster with my guard than with my warrior). Tbh the lack of mobility is “a bit tricky”, because if you get outmanned or you have to pull out you are more or less already in downstate or you have a hell lot of luck to survive^^

Give the guard a shot, if you want to get deeper into it and if u want go to the edges, everything beside that doesn’t show the potential of the guard.

Big Heimdal
Pikeneer

in Guardian

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

pretty easy, atleast clearing camps only take 10 seconds

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Check out Amin’s video channel. He has a few video’s that show a skilled player meditation vs. multi players. There are a few others out there like Christo’s with the healaway, etc.

Basically it comes down to your comfort level and skill. Probably more important is knowing when to disengage and re-engage. We must choose more to run a DPS build, in my opinion, than most other classes so when a fight goes from 1 v 1 to 2 v 1 it gets a bit more tricky. When conditions start flying around and it is now 2 v 3 or more it only compounds further.

Playing smart and knowing when to cut and run is job one. I’ll just end it by saying playing a meditation guardian in WvW and either solo or small havoc can also be the most rewarding and fun.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)