Mesmers...

Mesmers...

in Guardian

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

Hey all,

I’ve got trouble taking down mesmers as a Medi Zerker in PvP, anyone got tips / tricks to make these fights a whole lot easier for me?

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Mesmers...

in Guardian

Posted by: Megastorm.6219

Megastorm.6219

Keep an eye on your conditions applied to you, and watch your HP drop rates. Don’t pop every skill to get rid of every red condi you see on you. Watch the targets for the one who side steps a lot more than the other clones. Find your target and try to press on them in close.

Mesmers...

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

ctrl+t to target the real one usually helps me to identify the real one and its esyer to follow the real one.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Mesmers...

in Guardian

Megastorm.6219

Also to note: If a mesmer is charging you, it’s best to have that dodge ready, because it’s about to get shattered on you. The real target isn’t going to rush you like that.

Mesmers...

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

An illusion will never attack while moving. Look for whoever is actively trying to avoid your attacks and plan accordingly. If the mesmer enters stealth, use context to determine where they will likely reappear and keep the pressure up as soon as they are visible.

Also, don’t be afraid to kill clones/phantasms if the mesmer is in stealth. The mesmer will not deal damage to you directly while they are in hiding, so use it as a window of opportunity to remove other threats.

Mesmers...

in Guardian

Megastorm.6219

Black Box has a valid tip. Try to save your BB for this situation on a mesmer as you will likely damage yourself from shatter if you use it too soon. Target hunt first.

Mesmers...

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

An illusion will never attack while moving. Look for whoever is actively trying to avoid your attacks and plan accordingly. If the mesmer enters stealth, use context to determine where they will likely reappear and keep the pressure up as soon as they are visible.

Also, don’t be afraid to kill clones/phantasms if the mesmer is in stealth. The mesmer will not deal damage to you directly while they are in hiding, so use it as a window of opportunity to remove other threats.

This ^.

I should also note that I have a much easier time VS mesmers & a few other classes that kite/stealth etc.. as a carrion meditation build http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQNAR7PlsApaolDhfoJiHKr+gqDgH4RveG+hcA-TpgMgAA7PMXGAA
You can use contemplation of purity of purging flames as your third skill, if u use purging flames you can also drop torch for focus.

If they spec to bring allot of condition removal the build becomes far less useful, however if played right it can still do some nice damage.
For sigils I use purity then doom.

Mesmers...

in Guardian

Guardian of Angels.9867

This ^.

I should also note that I have a much easier time VS mesmers & a few other classes that kite/stealth etc.. as a carrion meditation build http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQNAR7PlsApaolDhfoJiHKr+gqDgH4RveG+hcA-TpgMgAA7PMXGAA
You can use contemplation of purity of purging flames as your third skill, if u use purging flames you can also drop torch for focus.

If they spec to bring allot of condition removal the build becomes far less useful, however if played right it can still do some nice damage.
For sigils I use purity then doom.

Thanks, but I’d rather learn to play them then retrait my build specificly for them

Anyone got another piece of info, as those tips mentioned before are really usefull!

aka Holy Blood Guardian

Mesmers...

in Guardian

Posted by: Amir.1570

Amir.1570

You burst them before they burst you. You spam blocks and blinds while you attack much like how they spam chaos armor and evades while they attack.

Guardian is probably a little more braindead than Mesmer actually.

Mesmers...

in Guardian

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

i dont know why exactly but as guardian i find it easiest for me to take down mesmers (any other class i have more trouble)

tactics i use
1. let him burst you first – weird yes but with your blocks abilities like sow/ aegis shelter he will need another 10-12 sec for another burst
2. then he will try to disengage with blink /stealth etc. this is the moment you pressure him like there is no tomorrow.
3. save JI when he blink away from you .
4. try to immobilize him with scepter
5. leap to him and use aoe symbol
6. he will try to dodge . so count them
7. he will try to go behind you so turn over camera fast
8. when you ready to burst JI symbol leap aa chill with weapon swap and kill

i also like the carrion hybrid build as they usually dont have any condi cleanse thus the burning bleed poison kill them when they blink away or stealth

Mesmers...

in Guardian

Posted by: Bamjam.2046

Bamjam.2046

I played both guardian and mesmer for more then 2k hours each so here is a little tip i see many guards fail on when fighting mesmer.

Dont be afraid to use your renewed focus elite!

When a mesmer immobilised you 90% of the time they will try a shatter burst on you so counter this with Renewed focus or shelter or if your pro dodge it.

So many times ive had 1v1 with guardians on my mesmer and they were dead before they even used their renewed focus its just a waste to not use it.
Yes it has a pretty long cd compared to the rest of your skills but its better to survive that burst then to be a dead guardian lol.

Mesmers...

in Guardian

Posted by: Jurica.1742

Jurica.1742

First of all, I applaud you for not raging in mesmer forums. Thank you a lot for asking what YOU can do to improve instead of asking for nerfs.

Actually mesmers should be quite easy for you to kill. Mesmer is extremely hard to play well, against not so experienced players it’s easy but if you are skilled at guardian for the value 10, the mesmer has to be ~20 in skill to beat you, you already have an advantage here since most people don’t invest a lot of time into the game to learn the class they’re playing.

Usually DPS guard is a big issue to deal with on mesmer presuming both are around the same skill level so all the things are tipping into your favor. (Though since illusionary elasticity bug fix, it’s a lot easier for a mesmer to kill you than it was, you still have a big advantage)

If you have issues finding the mesmer, here are tips:
Illusions are divided into two groups, phantasms and clones.
Phantasms are white and you can’t get confused by them, they aren’t the real mesmer
Clones look like the real mesmer but they only can use the autoattack for the weapon the mesmer was in when he spawned them.
The autoattack is also very slow, much slower compared to the real mesmer. (some may try to fool you into thinking they’re a clone by autoattacking with the clones.
The real mesmer also moves around while the clones are mostly stationary or following (and facing) you.

Don’t spam dodges against mesmer.
Dodge mirror blade (he holds greatsword above the head and swings it towards you, you can see it flying towards you) and izerker (just puts the greatsword up above his head, spawns a while illusion (a phantasm which cripples you and does damage). If he’s running sword, make sure to dodge the little clone that spawns next to you because it will immo you which will allow him to burst you easily. Most mesmers swap as soon as they spawn the clone so if you dodge right away you should be able to avoid it.
Every time the mesmer stealths (can have up to max 3 stealths which are: 3s decoy, 3s torch prestige, 5s mass invis) be on your toes, get ready to dodge a burst because most likely, one will be coming your way.

Count his dodges, when he used them you can burst, unless he swapped to staff because most likely he will have another one up from energy sigil.

Try to see how many times he stealths. If he is playing staff + gs, he only has decoy for stealth and possibly the elite mass invis, if he’s running greatsword + sword torch he also has torch stealth
Watch out for staff clones , if he puts many up, destroy them because they will kill you otherwise. They will keep stacking perma burn, vulnerability and bleeds on you while the mesmer gets boons.

Keep an eye out for blink. If he has used blink, decoy and torch stealth all within a bit less than 30 seconds you can go all ham on him, he won’t have many defensive cooldowns (just distortion probably but it will stop you from doing damage to him for a few seconds)

If you are from EU, whisper me in game and I’ll be more than happy to help you learn how to fight mesmer and answer any qustions you may have.

Pineapples rule

(edited by Jurica.1742)

Mesmers...

in Guardian

Guardian of Angels.9867

Thanks for all the support folks!

I’ve been able to kill my first few mesmers!
Even a few 1-1

If i get into new trouble, i’ll be sure to contact you Jurica! (thanks for the offer)
Holy.

aka Holy Blood Guardian

Mesmers...

in Guardian

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

I follow a few steps every time I encounter a Mes.
First I Ctrl+T to target the real mesmer, helps in the heat of the fight.
Save things like Purging Flames for when there are lots of clones about, It will destroy them all, leaving just the real mesmer and taking away their shatter. If you time and position it right then you really take these ting out of a mes.
Stay close, don’t let them GS you from afar as their auto attack with GS can really add up.
Finally, just keep up the pressure, usually the Mesmer will crumble unless they are a skilled one at which point it just comes down to skill v skill.

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast

Mesmers...

in Guardian

Guardian of Angels.9867

Save things like Purging Flames for when there are lots of clones about, It will destroy them all, leaving just the real mesmer and taking away their shatter. If you time and position it right then you really take these ting out of a mes.
Stay close, don’t let them GS you from afar as their auto attack with GS can really add up.
Finally, just keep up the pressure, usually the Mesmer will crumble unless they are a skilled one at which point it just comes down to skill v skill.

My build uses smite condition rather then Purge.
Any good reasons to switch my smite for purge?

Because if it’s just for mesmers, I won’t change it.
Like stated before, not gonna change my build for 1 specific profession

aka Holy Blood Guardian

Mesmers...

in Guardian

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

My build uses smite condition rather then Purge.
Any good reasons to switch my smite for purge?

Because if it’s just for mesmers, I won’t change it.
Like stated before, not gonna change my build for 1 specific profession

Sorry that was a typo, I mean’t Smite Condition (not Purging Flames) – had a long day jumbling new builds so must have not been concentrating properly.

but just to reinforce, I find that Smite Condition and GS Skill 5 are brilliant because they both destroy all the mesmer clones close enough to you, really dis-arms a mrs

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast