Meta-Battle Test - Symbolic Dragonhunter

in Guardian

Posted by: Leaven.3704

Leaven.3704

I want to know how many people have tried and/or encountered this build. I have a friend who’s been playing around with it, and it deals solid damage (Both base and condi) as well as never dying. After fighting it repeatedly in 1v1’s (And watching him hold points 2v1 indefinitely, and 3v1 for over 30 secs) I’m just kinda hoping for another balance update before the PvP season starts, or this build is going to be the only thing being run…

in Guardian

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

Yes, dear god the idea of a guardian with sustain. Let’s nerf it before anyone has even properly seen it in ranked. xD

On a more serious note, I would welcome a change to a more bunkery spec after the one trick trap crap we’ve seen for so long now. Gonna test this out myself tmr. :P

in Guardian

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

Started using this specific build on meta battle. It really is amazing. Makes me feel like an scrapper. I think what really makes it shine is the healing coming from menders+aeigis+medis. Plus the condi clear thanks to all the aegis you get and hunters fort +medis. Probably what made this build possible is the added aegis on mace 3, less reliance on virtues thanks to baseline condi clear on f2.

in Guardian

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

It will quite possibly become the new go-to bruiser or even bunker. I ran a very similar build with shouts and honor instead of valor a couple days ago. I found myself survivng under heavy 2v1 pressure for a good 30s +, and could easily tank a couple good condi necro bursts as well. Only downside I’d say is if you miss that ToF, there is next to zero chance of you being able to kill someone since you have no ranged attacks and poor ability to chase someone down.

in Guardian

Kuya.6495

I think i’m gonna try changing valor for zeal to see if i can up the dps without losing too much sustain for better 1v1 results.

in Guardian

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

It’s a pretty nice build. It’s not as OP as ppl make it out to be tho. It’s quite susceptible to CC since you lose F3 stunbreak so there’s some solid counters to it.

in Guardian

Kuya.6495

I think going with zeal+honor+DH is better for this spec. It provides more damage which helps you win your 1vs1s. Since you’re applying so much aegis, it also means you benefit from shattered aegis. Valors helps for the smite condition on purification, reduced cd on shield and heal on medis, but i felt i wasn’t lacking in healing and condi clearing by taking zeal over valor. While having a reduced cd on medis is cool, i felt medis were still good even with zeal.

So i usually run contemplation of purity, and fragment of faith. If i see a lot of condis, i take smite condition. If i see a lot of power, i take test of faith. I changed a few things from the meta battle build aside from taking zeal. Let me know what you guys think:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRAse5dn8cCdDhVdCGdC8Dhl4BDbJkE2Cy7vA4BsKAslKAA-TJRIABlt/AAHFAweBAwXGAA

in Guardian

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

I’m guessing, hoping, that you put on double sigil of generosity as a mistake because they don’t stack.

But even so, Generosity is really bad as you can transfer a low stack condi and you’re out of luck. You’re still better off with Air/Leaching.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in Guardian

Posted by: ZoroDaOtter.3859

ZoroDaOtter.3859

Only thing bad about the build that it’s a skirmisher but has no mobility between points.

in Guardian

Kuya.6495

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll try taking those sigils instead. And also, the mobility issue isn’t something specific to this build, but rather, to all guardian builds. But i get what you mean.

in Guardian

Kuya.6495

I just ran this with marauder and i gotta say,i love it. Let me just keep using it in ranked to make sure it’s not just lucky matches.

in Guardian

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

Only thing bad about the build that it’s a skirmisher but has no mobility between points.

Actually, it’s a bruiser build. It’s rather easy to 2v1 with this build for some time. It doesn’t win vs 2 competent players but it can mow them down for a long while.

As long as you rotate your blocks, dodges, RW and symbols properly, you don’t run out of blocks/healing. When you add in the healing from Valor/Medis, you can facetank even condi warriors with this. It does have a clear vulnerability to being CC-chained but that’s all good. Every build should have a counter.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

in Guardian

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

i tried a variation of this last night its not bad actually. In the end however, i went back to standard Meditrapper because i just wanted to burst people down faster. I have a bunker build for pure support. Will have to try some more to see if its viable as a bruiser in ranked.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in Guardian

Posted by: Natwinter.9234

Natwinter.9234

I was able to respectfully adapt the Meta-Battle build for WvW on the cheap using a mix of Magi/Cleric and a few Soldier pieces.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVQQRApd8en8cClChVDBWdC8DhlGiSe4L+n/aYXgAArAigRA-TBDFABN8AAA4IAMi+BCOIAda+LFVYEVJIDnAAgU+lhGia2fQG1HIEArxA-e

I’d been trying to hustle and make core thief work in WvW for the last few months, and finally caved in and upgraded to HoT. I dusted off an old Guardian and gave him new life as a Symbolic Dragonhunter; it feels like I’ve stumbled into god mode! Crazy amounts of sustain as I was able to hold towers against multiple foes, and even shrugged off a few zerglings that put me into their crosshairs.

I’ve always played a tank in other MMOs, so this build is very much within my comfort zone while still having some teeth to put pressure onto an opponent. Much recommended!

in Guardian

Kuya.6495

I’d like feedback on the marauder version of the symbol build for pvp:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRApd8en8cCdDhVdCGdC8Dhl4BDbJkE2Cy7vA4BsKAslKAA-TZBFABAcGAa4BAIeZACOIAyt/AA

Give it a shot for a few matches and see how it works for you and let me know what you think. I feel that it has less 2v1 potential but more easily wins its 1vs1, and also contributes more to team fights (via shattered aegis). Weaknesses seem to be power builds such as power rev, power shatter, and power thf, but only if they get past all your blocking. So you can get stunlocked and bursted down fast by power builds. Same weakness i think applies to the menders.

It’s amazing how putting aegis on mace 3 makes this so much more practicle.

in Guardian

Posted by: ZoroDaOtter.3859

ZoroDaOtter.3859

It’s amazing how putting aegis on mace 3 makes this so much more practicle.

It’s not just aegis, it now also applies protection if you block, instead of only applying protection if you didn’t block. It got a pretty big buff if you as me.

in Guardian

Kuya.6495

Used a modified bunker build trying to max out healing effectiveness to other allies.

On self, the dodge rolls heal for 1,8k, and aeigis heals for 1.5k. On allies, these heal for about 2k. Has 29% outgoing heal effectiveness for allies. When blocking and on shield you get a bonus 490 toughness which i feel makes some difference. I was apprehensive about taking invigorating bulwark over protective reviver but with mace/shield and fragment of faith you can quickly get 10 stacks, and the bonus to healing is very noticeable on dodging, and even more so on allies. Your wings of resolve, for example, will heal allies for about 8k and you can use shield 5 to simulate the trait. Taking test of faith and fragments of faith is preferable for interrupting stomps.

You guys try it out and let me know what you think. I would love to see guards running bunks and bruisers to see how well they synergize together.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNApeWn8cCdDhVdCGdC8DhlHiS+3L+l/6XPgFALAagsE-TJBGABAcGAyvMQCPCAj2fAA

in Guardian

Posted by: Sublime Le Peasant.1932

Sublime Le Peasant.1932

Used a modified bunker build trying to max out healing effectiveness to other allies.

On self, the dodge rolls heal for 1,8k, and aeigis heals for 1.5k. On allies, these heal for about 2k. Has 29% outgoing heal effectiveness for allies. When blocking and on shield you get a bonus 490 toughness which i feel makes some difference. I was apprehensive about taking invigorating bulwark over protective reviver but with mace/shield and fragment of faith you can quickly get 10 stacks, and the bonus to healing is very noticeable on dodging, and even more so on allies. Your wings of resolve, for example, will heal allies for about 8k and you can use shield 5 to simulate the trait. Taking test of faith and fragments of faith is preferable for interrupting stomps.

You guys try it out and let me know what you think. I would love to see guards running bunks and bruisers to see how well they synergize together.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNApeWn8cCdDhVdCGdC8DhlHiS+3L+l/6XPgFALAagsE-TJBGABAcGAyvMQCPCAj2kitten

• Great Idea for ‘’Invigorated Bulwak’’ Instand of ‘’Protective reviver’’, few things I would change is Sigils on weapon and 1 trait in Valor line. I am hype to test the Invig Bulwak tho.

-Sigils:

• Sigil of renewal instand of Leeching on both weapon. Better sustain+ works great w/outgoing heal effectiveness.

-Trait:

• ‘’Monk Focus’’ instand of ‘’Retrbutive Armor’’ : Gives you better self-sustain, condi cleanse, pressure and synergise way better with purification.
Top 50, before April 15th, 2014 Feature Patch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWk2ObTvn9s
Gerdien

(edited by Sublime Le Peasant.1932)

in Guardian

Kuya.6495

I’m gonna test with those suggestions. Thanks!

I’m also gonna try going mace/shield mace/focus instead of staff since i only really use staff for the swiftness at start of fight and it’s too risky to switch to it when you’re being focused.

in Guardian

Sublime Le Peasant.1932

@ Kuya,
With the way you want to go, I feel that Staff ( even if its clutch) bring more to the table compared to Mace/shield + X/Focus. The outgoing healing effectivenes wont be as good..

Gerdien

in Guardian

Yannir.4132

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNApeWn8cCdDhVdCGdC8DhlHiS+3L+l/6XPgFALAagsE-TJBGABAcGAyvMQCPCAj2fAA

I ran this build for a while even before the patch. Having Fragments of Faith twice is a bit redundant IMO. Here’s my variant:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNApeWn8cCdDhVdCWDB8DhlGiSe4T+nHrAigu8aYXgAA-TZxGAB2XGg8DBwQ7Pk7JAAgnAAA

Oh btw, the marauder build is awesome, very good for soloQ. I would go with the bruiser build when a bit more organized such as when duoing.

All classes lvl 80.

in Guardian

Sublime Le Peasant.1932

I ran this build for a while even before the patch. Having Fragments of Faith twice is a bit redundant IMO. Here’s my variant:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNApeWn8cCdDhVdCWDB8DhlGiSe4T+nHrAigu8aYXgAA-TZxGAB2XGg8DBwQ7Pk7JAAgnAAA

Oh btw, the marauder build is awesome, very good for soloQ. I would go with the bruiser build when a bit more organized such as when duoing.

• The thing is w/ Frag O’faith, you have way more Sustain + brk stun. Ohh and you have a stability that you can rely on for stomps/rez or cc chain… For the support role FoF is way better.
    But Id recommend to play a Marauder Scepter/focus+Sword shield. If your team already have support.
Gerdien

(edited by Sublime Le Peasant.1932)

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I looked at the Symbolic build in Metabattle. It’s a fan favorite no doubt but it has some clear weaknesses not listed on the site.

Lack of Stability from F3 & Heavy Light means you’ll lave less anti-cc uptime. That means it’s incredibly easier for you to get locked down for a potential 100-0 burst. In this meta, Guardian has too many windows-of-opportunity for players to take advantage of. This is a big weakness in higher tier pvp.

F3 is not an “all powerful” condi cleanse utility. It cleanses a condition 1s at a time if you get hit quicker than 60 millisecond intervals. That means if there’s any pauses between attacks or you’re not in melee range, you’ll take quite a bit of damaging ticks before your 1 second cleanses goes through the condi stacks. This is very evident in clutch scenarios where you can’t afford a single damaging tick from 16 stacks of bleeds/torment/poison/burns.

The build is another way to play and if people like it then great. I feel 1-handers w/ Virtues makes for a better team supporter, while also able to be in any scenario than just side points.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

This build is actually pretty crazy. Crazy in the sense that it works. We finally have MULTIPLE BUILD OPTIONS. Good freaking job AN.

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

For the record it’s completely viable in soloQ. I was just speaking in context of league matches and what not. Tried it earlier and the build is really fun props to the person who posted it on metabattle.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Posted by: Axxo.7430

Axxo.7430

Just tried the build and I would honestly say, it’s really fun. GJ!

Axxo “The Hex Guardian” – SoS

in Guardian

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

It’s a very high defensive build that relies heavily on Aegis and Pure of Heart as well as Hunter’s Determination. Whenever you’re cc’d you get Aegis and drop Aegis shields and you can also use Shield of Wrath.

The real question is whether or not bunkerish builds are going to be worthwhile in higher level play.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in Guardian

Yannir.4132

For the reasons Saiyan mentioned, I would advise people to consider taking Contemplation of Purity instead of Smite Condition. It will also serve as a stunbreak. JI is way too important to drop, IMO, but that might be just me.

All classes lvl 80.

in Guardian

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

What happened to burn dragon hunter guard? Are people using flame legion runes for that or something else?

in Guardian

Posted by: Natwinter.9234

Natwinter.9234

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVQQRApd8en8cClChVDBWdC8Dhl6hSe+z//HrGCip4KA2hYA-TRDFABAp0b9TAAAHBgbUGc/+DDoEE4HAwI6H608HBHEAZUfIFVYyQDBpAEdMA-e

While playing Symbolic build in WvW, I always like to experiment, to see how far you can push gear in a certain direction, in this case adding more passive damage reduction for unprecedented sustain. Nigh impossible to be killed, unless 1v4+, but even then, it’ll be a grudge match of attrition.

Swapped in the Superior Rune of the Scrapper for the 7% damage reduction, plus the +10% Damage Reduction food, and the passive from Hunter’s Fortification adding another 10%. With all the blocking going on and the removal of conditions, I opted to invest in Focus Mastery, giving the focus 4 & 5 a -33% damage reduction, and reduced recharge. I found the original Symbolic Dragonhunter build to be susceptible to CC chains, and these tweaks patch up the gaps and allow to survive burst if stunned. Plus the reduced recharge allows you to work through the rotations faster.

Overall, super tanky, and still a bruiser. In the hands of someone more capable I imagine it’d be very effective, but I’ve taken on 1v2s with classes than normally destroy me one on one. Tangoing with a Chronomancer and Revenant duo… Elementalist and those bulky healing Druids, no problem! Juggernaut your way through camps and towers, defend those nodes indefinitely, be impervious to all danger!

(edited by Natwinter.9234)

in Guardian

Posted by: gin.7158

gin.7158

Has anybody else tried this with dolyak runes? The sustain is very aids lmao, you will a bunker though not a bruiser.

(edited by gin.7158)

in Guardian

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVQQRApd8en8cClChVDBWdC8Dhl6hSe+z//HrGCip4KA2hYA-TRDFABAp0b9TAAAHBgbUGc/+DDoEE4HAwI6H608HBHEAZUfIFVYyQDBpAEdMA-e

While playing Symbolic build in WvW, I always like to experiment, to see how far you can push gear in a certain direction, in this case adding more passive damage reduction for unprecedented sustain. Nigh impossible to be killed, unless 1v4+, but even then, it’ll be a grudge match of attrition.

Swapped in the Superior Rune of the Scrapper for the 7% damage reduction, plus the +10% Damage Reduction food, and the passive from Hunter’s Fortification adding another 10%. With all the blocking going on and the removal of conditions, I opted to invest in Focus Mastery, giving the focus 4 & 5 a -33% damage reduction, and reduced recharge. I found the original Symbolic Dragonhunter build to be susceptible to CC chains, and these tweaks patch up the gaps and allow to survive burst if stunned. Plus the reduced recharge allows you to work through the rotations faster.

Overall, super tanky, and still a bruiser. In the hands of someone more capable I imagine it’d be very effective, but I’ve taken on 1v2s with classes than normally destroy me one on one. Tangoing with a Chronomancer and Revenant duo… Elementalist and those bulky healing Druids, no problem! Juggernaut your way through camps and towers, defend those nodes indefinitely, be impervious to all danger!

Are u able to kill anyone who runs sustain too though? Or do u guys fight for an hr before calling truce, patting each other on the back for being pros, and then run off feeling good.

This has been happening way too often with high sustain builds. They just take all the dmg since they can heal back up easily.

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

in Guardian

Yannir.4132

Are u able to kill anyone who runs sustain too though? Or do u guys fight for an hr before calling truce, patting each other on the back for being pros, and then run off feeling good.

I just dueled a scrapper for 5 mins. Every time he got me low, I healed back up with Wings and Purification. That answer your question?

All classes lvl 80.

in Guardian

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

Build got the META status right now.

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in Guardian

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

Build got the META status right now.

who decides if a build is meta or not?

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Their community votes, which is the best way to determine Meta. Its a popularity contest after all.

Fishsticks

in Guardian

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

I’ve been testing this build for a few days and still experimenting a bit. I personally went for a more defensive setup trying to very much commit to supporting or holding points.
I’d definitely recommend you to play mace/shield; sword/focus. I really couldn’t handle the metabattle setup for longer than 2 fights. This way you have a very solid defensive weapon set (which I basically stay on all the time in bigger fights) with a lot of heal and support capabilities but in a 1v1 you can suddenly surprise your enemy by changing to your offensive weapon set. I’ve even gone as far as to put both sigil of water and sigil of blood on my defense set right now which on average give you about another 100hp/s each and fire/air on my offensive set for the surprise burst.
But the build is still quite weak against cc chains and heavy condition pressure which I’m still trying to find a solution for. Right now I simply went to using Melandru rune because it decreases both cc and condition duration (and adds even a little bit more toughness). You move like a turtle but if you commit to a point it should be fine.
I tried swapping out test of faith for something like signet of judgement since I wanted to be tanky anyways but it heavily decreased my survivability. I guess the additional protection and small daze here and there does indeed make a huge difference.
I am currently trying to figure out if I could fit “Stand your Ground” in there for some more stability.

I guess one of the easiest ways to nerf this build a little without completely destroying it’s diversity again would be to reduce the heal on Wings of Resolve which I found to be way too high since the beginning. With full mace stacks it heals for almost 6k on a 30sec cd. They should especially focus on the base heal. Wings of Resolve has a 3.9k base heal plus 1.2xhealing power while the old virtue has a base heal of only 1600 plus 0.75xhealing power on a 50% higher cooldown. That’s an insanely unfair difference even when talking about other DH builds. And putting on my tinfoil hat I'd say it's one of the obvious examples where you can see that Anet wants to force you into the elite specs by making them hilariously supreme to the old specs. Just like daredevils declass any good ol' s/d thief but that's another story...
Also decreasing protection duration of the trap could work since this is not specifically supposed to be very defensive. Right now protector’s strike, shield of judgement and Test of faith have about a 25% protection uptime each so you really get a lot out of them combined. Reducing it to something like 4 seconds on ToF could do a little bit (and also take some protection off zerker trap dh builds where it’s really not supposed to be if you ask me.)

It’s not completely broken since it still does have a few natural counters. It just needs to be tweaked a little bit. Holding a point 1v1 sounds absolutely fair. But holding it 1v2 for almost an indefinite amount of time and even 1v3 for a very long time (depending on how much of the above mentioned counters are present) is ridiculous.
And I don’t even actively focus on the damage aspect of the build which other people may prefer. You still have a solid 30% crit chance which even goes up to 50% adding the meditations’ fury.
But I still think that it’s a very solid build overall and as a main guard player who always loved to play a supportive style but was never really satisfied with using mace I really like having randomly stumbled over this build. (I was like: “healing power? mace? sybmols? That’s supposed to be meta? This sounds too ridiculous to be true, let’s give it a try”)

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

(edited by Entenkommando.5208)