My Amber to Legendary Experience

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Was actually pretty good. I started grinding the first day patch hit and flew past Ruby and hit Diamond relatively fast… in fact, I thought I was the first DH behind Muubs (they censored ur name?) and maybe Ken…

..stayed in Diamond for about a month.

Literally, 1 month. The last 2 pip tiers were the worse. It was like hitting a brick wall. Granted, I could have waited and gotten a few friends together and stopped soloQing (I did on occasion) but when no one was on I soloQ’d. That almost always resulted in a 1 win per 3 losses… stayed in the same place for weeks.

Compositions was always the worse for me. I absolutely needed an Ele + Mesmer and/or Thief on my team. Without them, Rev + Engi + Ele + Druid comps obliterated me. Guards don’t belong in sustainy comps. We need that Thief+Mesmer combo to insta CC & Burst any 1 class while our Ele keeps the point and on occasion, the team’s health up.

Yes, I would have gotten to Legendary much quicker if I had an Ele friend. I ran with a good Mesmer and got on several win streaks but sometimes we didn’t have the right comp, more importantly, he was never on. I’ve also got several 489 to 500 games… I personally don’t think we should get a pip loss for those but owell.
#Rant
#imHardHeaded
#Legendary

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in Guardian

Posted by: Booms.2594

Booms.2594

im p sure naru got to legend too rather quickly, i think more quickly than me. idk if he only played dh though.
my suggestion is to just take 1v1 vs a comp thats total aids (like 2rev 2scrapper 1 ele l0l) and just outplay them cuz most people in this game are utter garbage.

and i think qing with a revenant is the best duo for us since they win every 1v1 we don’t (scrapper usually, ele, druid[though we win that too]) and also they have kittening huge broken dmg so its so easy to win every fight

gerdian

(edited by Booms.2594)

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Saiyan.1704 you played all the time with your DH build or switched classes when necessary a diferent team composition?

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Guardian

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Played my DH build the whole time.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in Guardian

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

I played non-HoT bunker guard for about half my games from Diamond to Legendary.

What I found is the most important factor in advancing is having a proper team comp over playing a single build. You need at least one point holder, though two is ideal. One should be able to survive and support in team fights. A mobile damage dealer is also very useful, but having more of your damage able to swing bigger fights is preferable.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in Guardian

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

I thought you were already legendary since I saw you in a couple of my games xD.

Gratz false. It was interesting getting to hear your experience.

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in Guardian

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

Just hit legend, diamond tier 5-7 was a 3 week long grind. Ruby was relatively smooth.

This meta is definitely a lot more forgiving towards DH/Guards than season 1 was. Not many people know this but Meditrapper DH is pretty much a hardcounter to Reapers with marauder amulet.

Guardian is definitely viable as a 5th, just avoid the 1v1s with scrappers and power revs and don’t linger too long in team fights with a tempest.

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

in Guardian

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

Just hit legend, diamond tier 5-7 was a 3 week long grind. Ruby was relatively smooth.

This meta is definitely a lot more forgiving towards DH/Guards than season 1 was. Not many people know this but Meditrapper DH is pretty much a hardcounter to Reapers with marauder amulet.

Guardian is definitely viable as a 5th, just avoid the 1v1s with scrappers and power revs and don’t linger too long in team fights with a tempest.

This is true, I hit Legendary last sunday. T6-T7 was absolutely brutal for me because I would get 1 pip away from legend multiple times and then lose by 10-20 points, and fall down some. A great majority of my games I played full medi DH, but other games I’ve swapped to Ele or Necro when needed.. It’s true that DH hardcounters Reapers, especially with Hunters Fortification slotted, even at times I feel I can fight condi mesmers as long as I don’t play within their range.. Marauders is nice though Berserkers Amulet which is generally a lot riskier, packs a much more meaningful punch to your damage pressure and true shots. From amber to ruby was smooth sailing, and I’ve see some of you guys around in my games,

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

(edited by Lucentfir.7430)

in Guardian

Darknicrofia.2604

We don’t need to trait for Hunter’s fort to beat reapers, as long as F1 pull and Shield of Courge or Renewed Focus are off CD, there’s very little a reaper can do if you play the engagement correct.

Poke them a few times with auto, bait out a dodge, F1 them into ToF, pop F3 when they shroud charge into us, swap to sword to burst for 10 secs, F2 to leap out and pew pew them down.

Unless they get unlucky with a Executioner’s Scythe on F3 Shield or Purification, I’ve yet to lose to a reaper since figuring out how to fight them in Ruby after seeing 4 of them per match.

in Guardian

Posted by: Booms.2594

Booms.2594

Necros are still really tough bUT yeah fighting them is pretty figured out by now. My biggest tip is if they get low hp but pop a huge ds just run away and instant ji onto them when they drop it. Usually the best way to win

gerdian

in Guardian

Darknicrofia.2604

I guess that depends on what variation of meditrapper you run, if you run dragon’s maw then the fight is tougher and you have less room for mistakes but if you run 2 meditations and RF with a sigil of generosity in LB, the fight is extremely easy with full cooldowns.

a reaper’s dps rotation is extremely simple and they have virtually 0 active defenses to speak of, unless they avoid F1 with a lucky dodge, they’re pretty much sitting ducks to eat all of our damage.

in Guardian

Posted by: Dman.5897

Dman.5897

Sup guys, thought i might chuck in my experience from amber to legendary. Amber to diamond happened quickly. At 18 pips into diamond i went on a losing streak, tried very hard and managed to stay in tier 2 (7 pips). My trouble came from the opposing teams primarily having the ele, engie and necro composition. So i made an Aoe condi build to apply huge pressure in team fights. This build does not win 1v1 fights but it is awesome at plus 1 and downed state battles. I would not advise this build unless you are naturally good at disengaging. I then would win the majority of these match ups and pushed to legendary. here is the build, http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQJARTnkIClDhVDBGdC8DhlEi6aZDgEQu6b+rPb/6vBE-TZhFABGcEAU4CAwfZAO2fAgHBAA . To be clear, i run meditrapper and change to this build only against the bunkier team setups. gl guys, kick some butt

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

You main guard i assume and the problem you had was the opposing comp. You needed a mesmer, ele or thief.

Here is what Anet would tell you to do about it.

Change to the class you need, doesn’t matter if you dont play it well.

in Guardian

Posted by: Keksmuffin.1450

Keksmuffin.1450

Dunno getting legendary felt pretty easy, even on DH.

Bullet Punch

in Guardian

Posted by: Anoia.7342

Anoia.7342

Sup guys, thought i might chuck in my experience from amber to legendary. Amber to diamond happened quickly. At 18 pips into diamond i went on a losing streak, tried very hard and managed to stay in tier 2 (7 pips). My trouble came from the opposing teams primarily having the ele, engie and necro composition. So i made an Aoe condi build to apply huge pressure in team fights. This build does not win 1v1 fights but it is awesome at plus 1 and downed state battles. I would not advise this build unless you are naturally good at disengaging. I then would win the majority of these match ups and pushed to legendary. here is the build, http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQJARTnkIClDhVDBGdC8DhlEi6aZDgEQu6b+rPb/6vBE-TZhFABGcEAU4CAwfZAO2fAgHBAA . To be clear, i run meditrapper and change to this build only against the bunkier team setups. gl guys, kick some butt

I ran a similar build, though with no meditations. Flew through ranked until about 4th tier of diamond, didn’t have time to keep playing through last bit, alas.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQJATSnsABNDhVdCGkittendilAiSe7D/z3KAeg3MbIawJE-TZhAQB87QAwtLAAM2fAAPBAIWGAA

https://youtu.be/ye59vIwRREg
https://youtu.be/Q3dHfguaJ70
ooop casually links vids

I tried mid talents on Dragonhunter as well for a bit, but the cooldown and daze with traps is too tough to leave behind.